Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply Help and Advice
Help on coming out to a homophobic family?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LittleFuntom

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:03 pm
I'll just keep this short and sweet..

I'm from a very loving, yet strictly conservative family. Two years ago I realized that I am bisexual, and I am partially in the closet. Seeing that my family is VERY homophobic, I have no idea how and when to come out to them, and I need a little guidance. Honestly., I am scared. But I don't want to be living a lie.

Any help will.. well, help.  
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:24 pm
I can somewhat relate to you, as I have a family that is the same way. My only advice would be to find the person in your family who you confide in most, who is the least homophobic, and politely tell them the situation. They may be able to help you tell the rest of your family. If they love you, they will understand. I'm only guessing as I don't know your family, but they may not be as hard on you being bisexual than say if you came out as gay. I wish I could help more, and I hope everything goes alright coming out.  

Prince Ikari

Conservative Victory

Pent and Ten

Moonlight Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:46 pm
Honestly, if it's a danger to you, it's probably not a good idea to come out, no matter how much you dislike the idea.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:22 am
This is a hard one. You need to gauge how safe you are at home before saying anything. Is it violent homophobia like (sorry for the slurs here) 'all fags should die' or is it more of like 'god gays make me uncomfortable' because there's a huuuuuuge difference. If it's the latter, I recommend setting up a safe place and time to quietly discuss it.

However, if your safety is in ANY WAY in danger, Don't say anything. Wait until you're off at college or otherwise unattached and don't need them and they can't get to you, then do so. I hate telling people to stay in the closet but sometimes if it's what's best for safety, then you kind of have to.

Just please stay safe. heart  

vann-haal13

Fashionable Explorer

3,650 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

Chaos Tabbean

Timid Cat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:02 pm
That really sucks i agree with the safe i remember when i came out i was 15 and i told my ex-best friend first i realized that i was bi i was in a group home and i was really scared but she was very open to me so it was cool but when i was a junior in high school i had a friend who had the same sitiation as you. i felt super sad. she ended up having to move in with her aunt or something it was really sad...she was super nice and everything, so i would say be super careful because it can be dangerous sometimes.  
Help and Advice

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games