Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
How is it wrong? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

FangedNinjaKid5

Thieving Senshi

15,400 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:42 pm
So, I was thinking about this when I was on Facebook on the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Straight Alliance page. I was looking at all the post when I saw a something that said "Oh, gay marriage is a sin in the bible? Wonderful, Now tell me where it says so in the constitution." and " As Jesus said about gay people
" ," ".

In reading them I thought about what I learned growing up, being raised on the bible. How can they always(or at least most of the time) use "Its not in the bible" "God made Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve." or even "God made male and female. Same sex love isn't right" when in the bible it states "Thou shall not intermix races." You know whites with whites blacks with blacks.
If that's the case why are two people of the different sexes and different races getting married if its "Not what god wants"? Its not fair and its really hypocritical since they reference the bible to why same sex marriage is wrong yet say nothing about different race marriage.
I don't know about you but that's a bit messed up and it is correct if you think about it.What about you, what do you think?  
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:57 pm
I don't know, I was never into religion. I was forced to go to church long ago but I never really followed or believed in the bible. I think this goes back to people fearing what they don't understand and how that fear can lead to hatred and my guess is the bible was written by men that didn't understand as much about human sexuality as we do now and how we learned that other animals engage in homosexual relations and they feared it.

A lot of what was written in the bible is old and things have changed through the ages. Some people just use it as an excuse or follow and believe what others tell them and pick and choice parts of the bible without researching or thinking about it first and ignore other parts.  

ForeverDreamWithinADream

Centipedes In Utero

Shameless Streaker

10,900 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:01 pm
Simply put: People like to pick and choose what they want to believe in.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:09 pm
"Thou shall not intermix races." Where in the crap did it say that? I want to know. Stuff like that is the reason why I don't wish to be called a Christian.

Screw it. That is illogical. I like men of other races, and I am of mixed race as well and there is nothing wrong with me. Interracial relationships and friendships bring peace and understanding and cultural exchange. I don't see the negatives whatsoever. Same with homosexuality. The only thing is that they can't reproduce and that isn't so important these days.

Maybe it's because racism is not accepted or tolerated in America, and homophobia is? The whole Bible is hypocritical, really.  

Belethiel

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100

Art Greylace

Dapper Cutie-Pie

11,050 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:57 pm
Actually, gay sex is stated in the bible as a sin that should be punished by death. Right alongside planting two different crops in the same field and wearing clothing of mixed fibers. Also punishable by death. I'm not sure about intermarriage of different races, though I actually doubt that's in the bible proper.

The fact is, though, that the bible is an excuse, and a flimsy one at that. My personal view is that as the bible never technically defined what a woman is, only that she was the perfect counterpart to a man, there is room for a whole lot of interesting debate.

However, the fact remains that bible or no bible, some people are uncomfortable with the existence of homosexuality. Thus, they try to make laws against it.

The issue with this is that I'm deeply uncomfortable with religious extremism, stupidity, and certain types of music. However, I would find it ridiculous to proclaim that they should not exist. They offend me, but so long as they don't hurt anyone, that doesn't mean a thing. 'It's against my religion' is another way of saying 'it offends me'. And as most countries are a mix of religions anyhow, 'Adam and Eve/Adam and Steve' is an argument that no sane person would use to justify anything.  
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:03 pm
Sinister Mist Ninja
So, I was thinking about this when I was on Facebook on the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Straight Alliance page. I was looking at all the post when I saw a something that said "Oh, gay marriage is a sin in the bible? Wonderful, Now tell me where it says so in the constitution." and " As Jesus said about gay people
" ," ".

In reading them I thought about what I learned growing up, being raised on the bible. How can they always(or at least most of the time) use "Its not in the bible" "God made Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve." or even "God made male and female. Same sex love isn't right" when in the bible it states "Thou shall not intermix races." You know whites with whites blacks with blacks.There are lots of people who try and say you shouldn't mix races- not that the Bible says that really.
If that's the case why are two people of the different sexes and different races getting married if its "Not what god wants"? Its not fair and its really hypocritical since they reference the bible to why same sex marriage is wrong yet say nothing about different race marriage.
I don't know about you but that's a bit messed up and it is correct if you think about it.What about you, what do you think?

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:13 pm
I don't see why it matters what's in the bible. It your christian, good for you, it not, probably don't care. That has nothing to do with anything about people getting married. There's supposed to be a seperation of church and state, so anyone should be allowed to marry. No matter any individuals or groups personal offence or disagreement with it.  
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:28 pm
I am a little ashamed to say that I've started using the word "conservative" as an insult. When my sisters say something like "You can't eat that for breakfast, it's not a breakfast food!" I tell them to quit being a conservative. It is people like the aforementioned who cite the Bible who have made being conservative such a terrible thing to me, and it is people who claim "it just isn't right" or "that's not how it's supposed to be" that make me want to punch crotches. I'd go into a veeery long rant about religious values and society and views of homosexuality blah blah blah... But instead, I will repeat a wonderful quote I came across the other day.

"Religion is like having a p***s.
It's great to have one.
It's great to be proud of it.
It is NOT great to whip it out in public and try to shove it down other people's throats."

This applies to all controversial topics that are affected by the law, including same-sex marriage.  

Rosilien

Divine Nymph

18,800 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100

GaYnus

Shameless Exhibitionist

9,650 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:51 pm
Homosexual relationships as we refer to them today aren't in the Bible confused

Homo-genital acts are referred to in the Bible.

the references relate to rape, cult or pagan rituals, and pederasty(A man who has sexual relations, especially a**l intercourse, with a boy. this was common practice in Mediterranean cultures in those days)

Homosexual sex or relationships were also discourage in Biblical times for survival because every generation could very easily be the last if breeding didn't take place. Marriages were business contracts between families used to increase the wealth(stability) of the families as a unit and to ensure that each female had a male to fertilize her womb. Homosexuality in any form would hinder this practice which was vital for their survival.
Different time different context

i'm unaware of any verses that says that humans aren't suppose to mix races.

i am aware of verses about different tribes inter-marrying but that is a different thing completely (the tribes were most likely the same race but they had significantly different practices)
these verse refer to people of good tribes that follow God marrying people of tribes that don't follow God and that do wicked things.
this was looked do upon because of the discord it caused  
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:55 pm
People just dont understand they just hate and hate and dont care. They dont even look at the bible and they are saying its evil...but oh well thats just them...  

On_A_Cold_Stormy_Night

Beloved Phantom

The Bodacious Soul Reaper

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:57 pm
I know this very personally, as I have grown up and am currently living in the Bible belt (nickname for the south) and I have grown up in a very religious family.
I always wonder, how can the Bible say that God shall forgive every murderer, rapist, and serial killer out there, but the second you are gay, God shall banish and hate upon you for eternity? Yes, I know it is not those exact words, but that is how I always viewed it.
There is nothing in the Bible that says "God hates gays, and if you are gay, you shall forever be punished." Or anything even along those lines! It is simply because in the Bible it says that God had destroyed a town full of gays, but people do not put in mind that God had destroyed many town, places, and even the world in the Noah's Ark story. It is simply people getting bored, and there was no one left to blame or hate upon. So in the sad fact, they had to choose gays. And now we fight for our rights for simply opinions.
I think back then, as it is viewed now, if you are different from what society is, you don't conform and act like everyone else does, you are viewed as an outsider. Some people take it as far as bullying and hate. There is nothing wrong with being different, and being gay. I personally think being different is what makes a person so special from the bland people nowadays.
All in all, as the Bible has always been, it's simply an outline that you read upon, and create your own opinions based on what you have read, and stretch the words out.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:23 pm
I know this very personally, as I have grown up and am currently living in the Bible belt (nickname for the south) and I have grown up in a very religious family.
I always wonder, how can the Bible say that God shall forgive every murderer, rapist, and serial killer out there, but the second you are gay, God shall banish and hate upon you for eternity? Yes, I know it is not those exact words, but that is how I always viewed it.
There is nothing in the Bible that says "God hates gays, and if you are gay, you shall forever be punished." Or anything even along those lines! It is simply because in the Bible it says that God had destroyed a town full of gays, but people do not put in mind that God had destroyed many town, places, and even the world in the Noah's Ark story. It is simply people getting bored, and there was no one left to blame or hate upon. So in the sad fact, they had to choose gays. And now we fight for our rights for simply opinions.
I think back then, as it is viewed now, if you are different from what society is, you don't conform and act like everyone else does, you are viewed as an outsider. Some people take it as far as bullying and hate. There is nothing wrong with being different, and being gay. I personally think being different is what makes a person so special from the bland people nowadays.
All in all, as the Bible has always been, it's simply an outline that you read upon, and create your own opinions based on what you have read, and stretch the words out.

what town full of gays did God destroy?

if you are referring to Sodom and Gomorrah, they were not destroy for having a lot of gay people. they were destroyed for wickedness, violence, rape and other sinful acts. Many people assume its for homosexuality because the Bible refers to the men of the town wanting to be sexual with angels disguised as men but really that was simply the final straw out of many sinful straws before it. even in that instance the sinful act wasn't homosexuality, it would have been the violent rape of angels which is a BIG NO NO. Sex with angels wasn't a good thing plus it produced the Nephilim(giants).  

GaYnus

Shameless Exhibitionist

9,650 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:26 pm
Splendid Venus

if you are referring to Sodom and Gomorrah, they were not destroy for having a lot of gay people. they were destroyed for wickedness, violence, rape and other sinful acts. Many people assume its for homosexuality because the Bible refers to the men of the town wanting to be sexual with angels disguised as men but really that was simply the final straw out of many sinful straws before it. even in that instance the sinful act wasn't homosexuality, it would have been the violence rape of angels which is a BIG NO NO. Sex with angels wasn't a good thing plus it produced the Nephilim(giants).

I'm not sure which town, it has been so long since I've read that story.
Exactly~ I was saying that most people think God had destroyed the town simply because there were gay people in the town, but you proved the point that they are wrong. Thank you for clarifying the true reason, as I had forgotten!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:44 pm
Splendid Venus

if you are referring to Sodom and Gomorrah, they were not destroy for having a lot of gay people. they were destroyed for wickedness, violence, rape and other sinful acts. Many people assume its for homosexuality because the Bible refers to the men of the town wanting to be sexual with angels disguised as men but really that was simply the final straw out of many sinful straws before it. even in that instance the sinful act wasn't homosexuality, it would have been the violence rape of angels which is a BIG NO NO. Sex with angels wasn't a good thing plus it produced the Nephilim(giants).

Exactly~ I was saying that most people think God had destroyed the town simply because there were gay people in the town, but you proved the point that they are wrong. Thank you for clarifying the true reason, as I had forgotten!

Your Welcome 3nodding

Most Christians probably don't know it especially in the Bible Belt. I was raised there and my home church is Southern Baptist. The biggest problem with those types of Christians is the lack of knowledge they have for their religious text. They don't know the history or the context of the Bible. Most Christian doesn't realize that one of their most beloved books in the Bible is written in the style of erotic sex poetry of the time. It was written in that way to create a parallel between the intensity of the love we have for one another to the intensity level that we should love God. Our love for God isn't supposed to be sexual but it is supposed to be passionate, loving, and all consuming.  

GaYnus

Shameless Exhibitionist

9,650 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:48 pm
Splendid Venus
Splendid Venus

Your Welcome 3nodding

Most Christians probably don't know it especially in the Bible Belt. I was raised there and my home church is Southern Baptist. The biggest problem with those types of Christians is the lack of knowledge they have for their religious text. They don't know the history or the context of the Bible. Most Christian doesn't realize that one of their most beloved books in the Bible is written in the style of erotic sex poetry of the time. It was written in that way to create a parallel between the intensity of the love we have for one another to the intensity level that we should love God. Our love for God isn't supposed to be sexual but it is supposed to be passionate, loving, and all consuming.

Exactly, and most religious people don't want to learn or accept anything more that hadn't been in the Bible. It's as if it doesn't say it in the Bible, or even gives the slightest hint that it is bad in the Bible, they shun upon it. In my opinion.
You know exactly what it's like then? Such a demeaning atmosphere in the Bible belt, at least I feel that way in my opinion.
I had never thought about it that way, but you have a greta point there!

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff