Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Questions & Answers
Worry, Anxiety, Fear

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Different...Very.

Distinct Dabbler

16,000 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Team Josie 25
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:16 pm
My mom is a devout Christian, an ordained minister, a daily prayer and "meditator" on the Bible. Yesterday she called the campus police in tears because I hadn't answered the phone all day. She's gone weeks without talking to my brother, and days without talking to me before, because I'm known to leave my phone home, forget it on silent, lose it, leave it in the car, and everything else. But she sent the police out after me for not hearing back from me for just one day. This isn't the first time. I'm 25, people! I'm liable to be too busy to call back in one day! Or not in the mood to talk to my mother two days in a row.

Shouldn't an ordained minister have her worrying more in check? Hasn't she undoubtedly read over multiple times verses about not fearing or worrying?  
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:50 pm
I know what you mean but I still think you should answer her calls just so she knows you're ok. Ever tried telling her that she's over paranoid or something? mrgreen  

ll-0RACL3_kun-ll

Hunter

5,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:00 pm
Sadly, these things aren't uncommon and I can understand you not answering calls if you lose your phone, forget it's on silent, or simply don't feel like answering it if you're busy with a class at the moment or don't feel like answering because of the amount of calls.

When you can, answering works better because you can just talk for a few minutes and let her know everything is okay.

Perhaps there's other problems that are present in her mind that make her fear or worry excessively. It's possible that maybe she had a bad experience or witnessed something like a family losing their kids after their kids grew up. It could be a slightly paranoid factor because if she doesn't hear from you then she thinks something bad happened. Sometimes parents are like this in general, though, since it's hard for them to realize, "My baby is all grown up and leaving home. What am I going to do without them? What are they going to do without me? How will I know they are okay? Who is going to take care of them when they are sick? Who will make sure they do their chores?!" so sometimes they can become annoying or overbearing at that point in life. Although it makes sense for parents because they were the ones that raised you, and for a point in life, you may have depended on them for help and support. Some parents feel so empty without that. Perhaps talk to her and explain that you can't always answer your phone and that you'll try your best to call back as soon as possible. You could also make a time to hang out with her - it may make things better for her and more reassuring.

If needed, give her a list of some reassuring verses that may help with fear:

Deuteronomy 31:6
Joshua 1:3 - 9
Psalm 23
Psalm 27
Isaiah 41:10

For worry:

Matthew 6:25 - 27
John 14:27
2 Thessalonians 3:16

(there are many more, but those are just a few).

*Even Christians are not perfect - ordained minister or not. In my husband's family, I see that there are Christians that are not ordained ministers and some that are. On the human level, there isn't much difference other than possible knowledge, wisdom, and title. Both have their fair share of problems in life and we are only made perfect through Christ. Sometimes Christians need that bit of support when they give into their emotions too much at times and it happens to all of us because we're human beings. I know if I'm feeling down or upset about something - it's awesome to have someone refer you to scripture, be there to listen about your problems, and pray together. smile  
Questions & Answers

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games