Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
A Straight Girl Writing About a Gay Elf- Tips? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Belethiel

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:46 pm
Since I'm a big fan of diversity and I enjoy seeing diverse casts, I have one of my own that I created with a friend. We have a plethora of mythical beings and humans in all shades and body types, and a 50/50 male/female ratio.

A while ago, I felt like we needed people of different sexualities within the largely heterosexual cast. My friend created a bisexual female mechanic, and last year I wrote about a rather flamboyant elf named Alondrel Leafborn. He's a sensitive vegetarian who likes painting and interior design, and is a bit of a pacifist, but it's hard to stay that way in the city he lives in now, he only kills to protect others.

Now, I'm writing a short story that he's heavily featured in and I've decided to flesh him out some more since he was pretty minor. :/ Problem is, I think he's a little too stereotypical even though I loosely based him off an old friend of mine. I offset his femininity with general badassery and turned him into an Agent Peacock type of character.

Is there anything I should know when writing about someone of a different sexuality? How do I avoid stereotypes? Where should I take this character if you have any ideas? (Forget about the lack of context? xD )

Also, I'll sketch him and post it here so you can critique his appearance. P:  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:45 pm
Talking to people is the best way or read articles written by people who are gay themselves (most gay guys I know aren't overly flamboyant like you often see on TV/movies, but just your average guy, but keep in mind that everyone is different and there are some who are but if you write them as such, you are running the risk of stereotyping so be careful). He would probably be just like other Elves, just that he likes other guys.

Maybe ask yourself, would be still have the same personality (would he still be sensitive), interests/hobbies (would he still like paining?) or looks (would he dress the same way as that is just who he is or just the style he likes?) if he was straight? Each have their own personality, hobbies and stuff.

There is nothing wrong with having a diverse cast, I think that is great and I am working on making diverse characters as well. Just make sure that the character's themselves are respectable/realistic and be prepared that some people may not like them no matter what. But if you work hard on them, most people won't give you any problems.

Most problems from I seen or experienced is either people just disagree with something personally (due their beliefs), people didn't understand the characters or some sensitive topics (all you can do is try to educate them and tell them and hope that they listen) or people were stereotyping and making them all typecast characters (which usually comes up with a lot of yaoi series).

Hope that helps.  

ForeverDreamWithinADream

Belethiel

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:17 pm
Playboy Karasu Uchiha
Talking to people is the best way or read articles written by people who are gay themselves (most gay guys I know aren't overly flamboyant like you often see on TV/movies, but just your average guy, but keep in mind that everyone is different and there are some who are but if you write them as such, you are running the risk of stereotyping so be careful). He would probably be just like other Elves, just that he likes other guys.

Maybe ask yourself, would be still have the same personality (would he still be sensitive), interests/hobbies (would he still like paining?) or looks (would he dress the same way as that is just who he is or just the style he likes?) if he was straight? Each have their own personality, hobbies and stuff.

There is nothing wrong with having a diverse cast, I think that is great and I am working on making diverse characters as well. Just make sure that the character's themselves are respectable/realistic and be prepared that some people may not like them no matter what. But if you work hard on them, most people won't give you any problems.

Most problems from I seen or experienced is either people just disagree with something personally (due their beliefs), people didn't understand the characters or some sensitive topics (all you can do is try to educate them and tell them and hope that they listen) or people were stereotyping and making them all typecast characters (which usually comes up with a lot of yaoi series).

Hope that helps.

Actually, I think he would still like the things he likes if he was straight. But, he might dress a little differently. sweatdrop I don't think he's too stereotypical, though. He doesn't wear make up or cross dress or anything. I'll draw him. Hang on... it might take a day or longer. P:

Some of my straight male characters are effeminate anyway. emotion_awesome  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:28 pm
Belethiel
Playboy Karasu Uchiha

Hope that helps.

Actually, I think he would still like the things he likes if he was straight. But, he might dress a little differently. sweatdrop I don't think he's too stereotypical, though. He doesn't wear make up or cross dress or anything. I'll draw him. Hang on... it might take a day or longer. P:

Some straight men are effeminate and some are flamboyant, everyone is different. Seeing how his character really won't be much different, I think he should be fine. I am just asking as some people assume that characters would change drastically just based on sexuality or make it their focus but forget about the rest of the character and story (I am sure you're not like that though, so don't worry. It was just something my friend brought up the other day due to an argument someone kept bringing up about one of my characters, but I think the problem was their belief or opinion on things as some stuff they said offended a lot of people)

Pictures will help. 3nodding  

ForeverDreamWithinADream

Belethiel

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:44 pm
Playboy Karasu Uchiha
Belethiel
Playboy Karasu Uchiha

Hope that helps.

Some straight men are effeminate and some are flamboyant, everyone is different. Seeing how his character really won't be much different, I think he should be fine. I am just asking as some people assume that characters would change drastically just based on sexuality or make it their focus but forget about the rest of the character and story (I am sure you're not like that though, so don't worry. It was just something my friend brought up the other day due to an argument someone kept bringing up about one of my characters, but I think the problem was their belief or opinion on things as some stuff they said offended a lot of people)

Pictures will help. 3nodding

Being the gay guy isn't Alondrel's role, so I guess I'm good. The only time his sexuality is brought up is when his brother pokes fun at him, the villain called him a "f*****t" (whose hand he shot off before that... he then sent a bullet past the guy's head, then he kinda ran away... mrgreen ), and a minor character who played the role of Jerk kept calling him "Girly Man" (he had a nickname for everybody). That's pretty much it. P:  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:15 pm
Of the stories I've read with gay characters, and the ones I enjoyed most were the ones where the author just didn't make a big deal about the character's sexuality.

I'm not quite sure how to be more specific, since I'm not a writer myself, but I kind of feel like it's not always even necessary for the author to actually state whether a character is gay or not.

If the character's orientation is important enough to the story, their actions will speak for themselves, making it clear where their preference lies. Not much more needs to be said, unless maybe it's some kind of coming-out tale. I kind of feel like this is especially important if the character is really stereotypical (and the character you've described seems to be so).

If they're just an incidental or less major character, and they don't play a large enough role for their actions to indicate whether they're straight or gay, then there's still no need to elaborate. Describing the sexuality of such a minor character just seems forced and contrived.

My apologies, I'm not sure that any of the above even makes much sense. I know what I mean, but I'm not sure how to get it out. sweatdrop  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Belethiel

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:28 pm
Taeryyn
Of the stories I've read with gay characters, and the ones I enjoyed most were the ones where the author just didn't make a big deal about the character's sexuality.

I'm not quite sure how to be more specific, since I'm not a writer myself, but I kind of feel like it's not always even necessary for the author to actually state whether a character is gay or not.

If the character's orientation is important enough to the story, their actions will speak for themselves, making it clear where their preference lies. Not much more needs to be said, unless maybe it's some kind of coming-out tale. I kind of feel like this is especially important if the character is really stereotypical (and the character you've described seems to be so).

If they're just an incidental or less major character, and they don't play a large enough role for their actions to indicate whether they're straight or gay, then there's still no need to elaborate. Describing the sexuality of such a minor character just seems forced and contrived.

My apologies, I'm not sure that any of the above even makes much sense. I know what I mean, but I'm not sure how to get it out. sweatdrop

Yeah, I don't make such a big deal out of it. Early on, I did, but that was a year ago. :/ And it was his introduction. There is a lot more to him now than, "Hi, I'm gay, I like your hair" now.

I guess I'm doing everything right? O.o  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:31 pm
Belethiel
Yeah, I don't make such a big deal out of it. Early on, I did, but that was a year ago. :/ And it was his introduction. There is a lot more to him now than, "Hi, I'm gay, I like your hair" now.

It sounds like you're doing well, yes. Everyone relates to different kinds of characters, though, so what might appeal to a lot of people might still be too this or too that for others. Can't please everyone. blaugh  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

ForeverDreamWithinADream

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:40 pm
Taeryyn

This.

If it is a coming out story or if it involved love and romance ((though be careful there as that were a lot of stereotypes in stories are shown) or if the character coming to terms and or handling bullying/show their struggles in a realistic way and fighting for equal rights, than I can see why it would be be brought up and would be told.

If it is mostly action or adventure and there is really no romance, maybe you can hint at it (such as him have a crush on someone or have him date someone but like they said, let actions do the talking. You don't have to keep pointing out that he is gay), but really be no point to bring up their sexuality if it doesn't really effect the plot or character's story in anyway.

I think you said it better explaining than I did, I am not really good with words. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:49 pm
Taeryyn
Belethiel

It sounds like you're doing well, yes. Everyone relates to different kinds of characters, though, so what might appeal to a lot of people might still be too this or too that for others. Can't please everyone. blaugh

That's true. 3nodding Thanks for the advice.  

Belethiel

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100

Purple Robot Queen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:10 am
Personally I want to see a story with a gay dwarf. All rugged and bearded and, just incidentally, gay. That way you not only avoid making his entire character be about his sexuality, but you actively break down stereotypes about how gay males look and act and dress.

I have absolutely nothing against more lithe, delicate, effeminate men. In fact I typically find them quite attractive. That being said, half the world already calls Legolas gay anyway, because elves just have that effeminate quality that most people associate with gay men. Making Gimli have a boyfriend, though... well that's something that I haven't seen yet.

EDIT: Sorry, I know that's not what you asked, but it was just the thought that immediately popped into my head when I saw this thread.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:30 am
Belethiel
Since I'm a big fan of diversity and I enjoy seeing diverse casts, I have one of my own that I created with a friend. We have a plethora of mythical beings and humans in all shades and body types, and a 50/50 male/female ratio.

A while ago, I felt like we needed people of different sexualities within the largely heterosexual cast. My friend created a bisexual female mechanic, and last year I wrote about a rather flamboyant elf named Alondrel Leafborn. He's a sensitive vegetarian who likes painting and interior design, and is a bit of a pacifist, but it's hard to stay that way in the city he lives in now, he only kills to protect others.

Now, I'm writing a short story that he's heavily featured in and I've decided to flesh him out some more since he was pretty minor. :/ Problem is, I think he's a little too stereotypical even though I loosely based him off an old friend of mine. I offset his femininity with general badassery and turned him into an Agent Peacock type of character.

Is there anything I should know when writing about someone of a different sexuality? How do I avoid stereotypes? Where should I take this character if you have any ideas? (Forget about the lack of context? xD )

I actually have my first gay DnD character, he's going out with a drow, The main character doesn't seem gay, he's like this dark anti-hero type guy, but his boyfriend is just a touch feminine, more or less in the aristocratic sense though, I feel like there are no bounds of sexuality in writing, I mean a gay character can "Seem straight" I made this character to contrast his stereotypically german womanizer father  

Dusty-Boy

Dangerous Autobiographer

2,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Signature Look 250

Belethiel

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:02 am
Purple Robot King
Personally I want to see a story with a gay dwarf. All rugged and bearded and, just incidentally, gay. That way you not only avoid making his entire character be about his sexuality, but you actively break down stereotypes about how gay males look and act and dress.

I have absolutely nothing against more lithe, delicate, effeminate men. In fact I typically find them quite attractive. That being said, half the world already calls Legolas gay anyway, because elves just have that effeminate quality that most people associate with gay men. Making Gimli have a boyfriend, though... well that's something that I haven't seen yet.

EDIT: Sorry, I know that's not what you asked, but it was just the thought that immediately popped into my head when I saw this thread.

That's a good idea. :3 My universe probably has dwarves, I recall mentioning them once.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:26 am
Dusty-Boy
Belethiel

I actually have my first gay DnD character, he's going out with a drow, The main character doesn't seem gay, he's like this dark anti-hero type guy, but his boyfriend is just a touch feminine, more or less in the aristocratic sense though, I feel like there are no bounds of sexuality in writing, I mean a gay character can "Seem straight" I made this character to contrast his stereotypically german womanizer father

Interesting. 3nodding I like it when characters contrast each other like that, it adds balance and diversity.  

Belethiel

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100

Purple Robot Queen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:52 am
Belethiel
Purple Robot King

That's a good idea. :3 My universe probably has dwarves, I recall mentioning them once.

If you do it you'll become my new hero mrgreen  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces