Guy37
Garland-Green
This is something that hits close to home for me. It is something I struggle with.
Not with those I don't know. I can be honest to the point of being almost brutal with someone I don't know, while someone I care for I can lie to. I do it because I feel pressured, to spare feelings. To avoid confrontations. To be accepted.
Non of these are valid reasons to lie though. A lie is a lie. There are no white ones... That is just something used to justify something to ourselves that there is no justification for. It is something that I hope God will help me overcome. Nobody wants to be a liar.
Well I can't quote any scripture about it, but think there must be a difference bettween lying to preserve someone's life and lying to scam someone out of a few bucks.

The verses I see about lying makes no such distinctions.

Leviticus 19:11
"'Do not steal. "'Do not lie. "'Do not deceive one another.

Ephesians 4:25
Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to his neighbor, for we are members of one another.

Proverbs 6:16-18
There are six things which the LORD hates, Yes, seven which are an abomination to Him: Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, And hands that shed innocent blood, A heart that devises wicked plans, Feet that run rapidly to evil

Proverbs 12:19
Truthful lips endure forever, but a lying tongue is but for a moment.

John 8:44
You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and has nothing to do with the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

Revelation 21:8
But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.”