Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Transgender Awareness Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Elle Young

Fashionable Prophet

7,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:28 pm
Tonight on Cake Boss, famous Drag Queen/Transgender Carmen Carrera appeared. She made it quite clear to the producers that she wanted to be addressed as a woman. They went behind her back and called her a man. This is ignorant and disrespectful. As much so calling a homosexual the f-word, An Black person the n-word, or any other derogatory terms. Carmen is asking people to voice this injustice on the Cake Boss Facebook page. I am posting just to raise awareness. Let's just all try to get along.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:29 pm
Carmen's Post on Facebook
Im so upset right now, I cant stop crying. My heart truly hurts. I need people to understand that I KNOW I was born male and not ashamed of it. I wouldn't of cared if they said I was born male or USED TO BE male. By calling me a 'MAN' promotes ignorance and makes it ok to call transgender women, men. PEOPLE GET BULLIED, BEAT UP, AND KILLED FOR BEING TRANS BECAUSE OF THIS IGNORANCE! There was a time it was like that for gay people, even for some ethnic groups. Its not ok to call a gay person a f**, its not ok to call a spanish person a s**c, its not ok to call a black person a ******. THIS IS THE SAME TYPE OF THING. I made it VERY clear to the producers on how to use the correct wording before agreeing to filming this but instead they chose to poke fun and be disrespectful. Thats not what Im about! Please voice your opinion.  

Elle Young

Fashionable Prophet

7,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Full closet 200

ForeverDreamWithinADream

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:43 pm
That's just messed up. She even told them how she wanted to be address, so it isn't like that they didn't know. She has every right to be upset.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:41 pm
That is really ******** up. Then again, I would expect it from a trash TV channel like TLC.  

Blackrose_Knight

Devoted Pirate

WalrusCokeheadLizard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:15 pm
You have to be really strong to be different and open about it, it's sad but true no matter who you are or where you come from  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:18 pm
Blackrose_Knight
That is really ******** up. Then again, I would expect it from a trash TV channel like TLC.

User Image

This was on TLC? I would have expected better from a station that used to call itself The Learning Channel. They've really gone downhill, I guess.

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Blackrose_Knight

Devoted Pirate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:22 pm
Daffodil the Destroyer
Blackrose_Knight

User Image

This was on TLC? I would have expected better from a station that used to call itself The Learning Channel.
Me too. It is now full of reality TV shows that exploit minorities. Modern day freak show if you ask me. They say they "spread awareness" my a**.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:30 pm
Blackrose_Knight
Daffodil the Destroyer
Blackrose_Knight

User Image

This was on TLC? I would have expected better from a station that used to call itself The Learning Channel.
Me too. It is now full of reality TV shows that exploit minorities. Modern day freak show if you ask me. They say they "spread awareness" my a**.

User Image

Looking at a list of the shows that get aired on that channel, I'm finding about 95% of them look horribly distasteful just from the titles alone. If they wanted to raise awareness, they would not choose sensationalist language for their titles, and the shows themselves wouldn't be focusing so much on how much drama they can fit into an hour. Toddlers in Tiaras? [insert number] Kids and Counting? All-American Muslim? Anything with the word "Extreme" included? xd These don't seem like the titles of shows that are intended to raise awareness of anything but their ratings.

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Blackrose_Knight

Devoted Pirate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:36 pm
Daffodil the Destroyer
Blackrose_Knight
Daffodil the Destroyer
Blackrose_Knight

User Image

User Image

Looking at a list of the shows that get aired on that channel, I'm finding about 95% of them look horribly distasteful just from the titles alone. If they wanted to raise awareness, they would not choose sensationalist language for their titles, and the shows themselves wouldn't be focusing so much on how much drama they can fit into an hour. Toddlers in Tiaras? [insert number] Kids and Counting? All-American Muslim? Anything with the word "Extreme" included? xd These don't seem like the titles of shows that are intended to raise awareness of anything but their ratings.
Exactly. It has really gone downhill. Oh, btw I love the cupcakes in your siggy. So yummy looking. yum_cupcake  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:42 pm
Blackrose_Knight
Daffodil the Destroyer
Blackrose_Knight
Daffodil the Destroyer
Blackrose_Knight

User Image

User Image

Exactly. It has really gone downhill. Oh, btw I love the cupcakes in your siggy. So yummy looking. yum_cupcake

User Image

Thanks! I wish I could actually eat Betsey-chan's cupcakes; they always look amazing. She prints out our avatars for special events and sends us pictures of our pixels atop these delicious confections because she's awesome and loves to torture us~ heart whee

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:51 am
i just googled it to see what you were talking about and wow. never watching that show again  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:47 am
I read the summary of the episode..

Quote:
The plot of the episode was to use Carmen to lure one of the bakery's employees to flirt with her as a prank.

Took that from a petition asking for an apology. I don't get it. Was the point to get people to flirt with her then tell them that she was born a man? If so, that seems like a poor choice of plot to agree to doing.

I find it too bad that they didn't use the terms she requested. But what kind of reaction was she expecting? There are better ways to bring attention to the transgendered community and teach people. Pulling a prank like this doesn't seem like the best of ways to open up discussion that would lead to education.

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300

Sifen Yamishi

Fashionable Vampire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:15 am
There's a petition online now if you guys want to sign it:
http://www.change.org/petitions/tlc-s-cake-boss-publicly-apologize-to-the-transgendered-community  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:25 pm
...Really?
Wow, that's incredibly disrespectful.

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

Elle Young

Fashionable Prophet

7,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:02 pm
Lady Kayura
I read the summary of the episode..

Quote:
The plot of the episode was to use Carmen to lure one of the bakery's employees to flirt with her as a prank.

Took that from a petition asking for an apology. I don't get it. Was the point to get people to flirt with her then tell them that she was born a man? If so, that seems like a poor choice of plot to agree to doing.

I find it too bad that they didn't use the terms she requested. But what kind of reaction was she expecting? There are better ways to bring attention to the transgendered community and teach people. Pulling a prank like this doesn't seem like the best of ways to open up discussion that would lead to education.

I do agree that it wasn't the best situation for the cause. But Carmen still made it perfectly clear that she wanted to be called "Transgendered" instead the called her a man.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff