Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply The Room of Requirement (Suggestions, Help, and Useful Guides)
Need Roleplaying Assistance? Got Questions about Roleplay? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

HERMESBlRD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:57 pm
Cara MiaKitty
HERMESBlRD
I see other people have a image of their character in every post. Do they enter the image every time? Is their anyway to have it done automatically?

Hello! Welcome to the guild!

In answer to your question, most people code their formats and host the coding somewhere (I, for instance, have a personal guild with a subforum dedicated to my formats). They then copy and paste the format into their reply box.

There are also add-ons you can get for your browser, such as BetterGaia (I believe there are more but I don't use them personally so I'm not sure), where you can save a format and it will let you automatically apply it to a post. I personally don't use this for character formats since I have so many, but if you only have a handful it can be useful.

I hope this answers your question!

Thank you.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:22 pm
I'm completely lost when it comes to my roleplaying style ><
Would anyone like to do a practice RP, and possibly share a few tips throughout? sweatdrop  

ElliottKun

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:44 pm
ElliottKun
I'm completely lost when it comes to my roleplaying style ><
Would anyone like to do a practice RP, and possibly share a few tips throughout? sweatdrop

Chat is always a good place to ask any specific questions, and you can also look through all our different threads, like the Great Hall, to see how people usually write out posts. In general, remember that everything should be third person, past tense: "He paced back and forth outside the classroom door, hands clenched into nervous fists. Would the professor be angry with him for missing class yet again? He didn't know how he was going to explain this one."

It's also a good idea to include the five senses, if you're not sure what to write: what do they see, what do they hear, are they performing an action like trying to cast a spell or running outside, etc: "She walked outside, glancing up at the bright blue sky overhead. Nearby, several students laughed and talked under the shade of a tree. With a small smile, she walked slowly towards the direction of the lake."

Not everyone writes posts the exact same way, and that's fine, so long as they don't break any rules, such as god-modding: "I hit him and he screamed in pain" (making someone else's character do something) or having your character be blatantly overpowered or perfect, ie a Gary Stu: "Kyle was a natural when it came to almost every spell, and all his classmates envied him. His keen senses allowed to him to tell when someone was lying almost immediately, as well."

New member info  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:09 pm
Hello! I was wondering if folks had advice on playing a character that's not similar to our own abilities. I don't mean like different personality traits, but different...attributes?

For example, I tend to be kinda awkward in conversation and just sit and stare when I don't know what to say-- how would I roleplay a character that's charismatic? Or if my natural tendency is to think of the normal uses of things, how would I roleplay a character that is very out-of-the-box with their thinking?

Thank you smile  

addaellis

Trickblues

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:08 pm
Cara MiaKitty

In answer to your question, most people code their formats and host the coding somewhere (I, for instance, have a personal guild with a subforum dedicated to my formats). They then copy and paste the format into their reply box.

There are also add-ons you can get for your browser, such as BetterGaia (I believe there are more but I don't use them personally so I'm not sure), where you can save a format and it will let you automatically apply it to a post. I personally don't use this for character formats since I have so many, but if you only have a handful it can be useful.

I had a quick question on this if you don't mind, though I don't know if this kind of question would really fit in this thread. ;u;"
So I'm working on my format for my character before I start posting also and I looked through your subforum for reference and I really love how you did the relationship symbols with the link to the guide, I was just wondering do you mind if other guild members reference/link to that or would you rather not?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:44 pm
Trickblues
Cara MiaKitty

I had a quick question on this if you don't mind, though I don't know if this kind of question would really fit in this thread. ;u;"
So I'm working on my format for my character before I start posting also and I looked through your subforum for reference and I really love how you did the relationship symbols with the link to the guide, I was just wondering do you mind if other guild members reference/link to that or would you rather not?

Hello! Welcome to the guild and thanks so much for asking!

Full disclosure I actually love it when people borrow my coding and such because... well... a girl has an ego and it needs stroking sometimes. You're perfectly free to use it! I appreciate being credited for stuff like that, but use it/adapt it/do whatever you like! biggrin

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • WilyTrickster 50

Trickblues

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:50 pm
Cara MiaKitty
Trickblues
Cara MiaKitty

Hello! Welcome to the guild and thanks so much for asking!

Full disclosure I actually love it when people borrow my coding and such because... well... a girl has an ego and it needs stroking sometimes. You're perfectly free to use it! I appreciate being credited for stuff like that, but use it/adapt it/do whatever you like! biggrin

Great, thanks so much! heart  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:58 pm
addaellis
Hello! I was wondering if folks had advice on playing a character that's not similar to our own abilities. I don't mean like different personality traits, but different...attributes?

For example, I tend to be kinda awkward in conversation and just sit and stare when I don't know what to say-- how would I roleplay a character that's charismatic? Or if my natural tendency is to think of the normal uses of things, how would I roleplay a character that is very out-of-the-box with their thinking?

Thank you smile

Playing a character whose personality is different from your own, especially if it's vastly different, can be somewhat tricky. But, it's possible with practice!

As far as charisma goes, I think the key there is not to let any shyness of your own get in the way of putting your character out there. I know I had a lot of trouble with that when I first joined. I made my first character very shy specifically to ease myself into things, and my second character was... well, I more or less made him as awful as possible, so that I could make him interact with people without worrying about whether or not they liked him, since they weren't supposed to like him.

I always recommend that new members join our chatroom, since it's a good way to help get over some of the hurdles, including feeling out of place or uncomfortable. A lot of the veteran members hang out in there regularly, and we're a pretty welcoming, if confusing, bunch. Being more comfortable with the people you're roleplaying with will probably make things easier for you as far as wanting your character to be outgoing.

As far as being out of the box goes, that's something that takes a lot of practice. You can always ask for suggestions if you're in a tight spot. Another reason for joining the chatroom, really, because it basically comes equipped with a group of people who are more than happy to help you work through puzzles like that.

Chat information Chat rules

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • WilyTrickster 50

addaellis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:16 pm
Cara MiaKitty
addaellis

Thank you smile

Playing a character whose personality is different from your own, especially if it's vastly different, can be somewhat tricky. But, it's possible with practice!

As far as charisma goes, I think the key there is not to let any shyness of your own get in the way of putting your character out there. I know I had a lot of trouble with that when I first joined. I made my first character very shy specifically to ease myself into things, and my second character was... well, I more or less made him as awful as possible, so that I could make him interact with people without worrying about whether or not they liked him, since they weren't supposed to like him.

I always recommend that new members join our chatroom, since it's a good way to help get over some of the hurdles, including feeling out of place or uncomfortable. A lot of the veteran members hang out in there regularly, and we're a pretty welcoming, if confusing, bunch. Being more comfortable with the people you're roleplaying with will probably make things easier for you as far as wanting your character to be outgoing.

As far as being out of the box goes, that's something that takes a lot of practice. You can always ask for suggestions if you're in a tight spot. Another reason for joining the chatroom, really, because it basically comes equipped with a group of people who are more than happy to help you work through puzzles like that.

Chat information Chat rules

Thank you! I've joined the chat biggrin And I'll keep these in mind  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:45 am
This might be me overthinking forum-based discourse, but I wanted to clarify how conversation flows for the characters--specifically how the staggered paragraphs work?

I've been reading old posts, but actually writing it feels a bit more tricky and I feel like I'm interrupting or breaking things up into weird conversation tangents.I think we assume conversation dialogue continues within each paragraph/ subject/ topic and flows back and forth between posters until the line of conversation is concluded, broken up by an action, or something momentous happens that changes the tone of the conversation?

For example, the following conversation:

Quote:

Person A: Let's get cake. What do you folks want?
Also how is your cat?

Person B: chocolate cake.
*looks at a book*
How IS your cat?

Person C: Cake is lie, pie FTW, piecake only cake.
Cat is good. How's tree?

B: *orders chocolate cake, piecake* What did you want, A?
Tree is loud.

A: Lemon cake, pls, ty.
Was that book good?
Cat is still fluffy?
How is tree loud?

C: Cat is still very fluffy.
Did tree get birds?

B: *orders lemon cake*
Yeah, book was good.
No, tree got cat. Loudcat.

would actually flow for the characters like this?

Quote:

A: Let's get cake. What do you folks want?
Also how is your cat?

B: Chocolate.
*looks at a book*
How IS your cat?

A: Was that book good?

B: Yeah, book was good.

C: Cake is lie, pie FTW, piecake only cake.
Cat is good. How's tree?

A: Lemon cake, pls, ty
Cat is still fluffy?

B: *orders lemon cake* (while A and C are taking about cat still being fluffy)
Tree is loud.

A: How is tree loud?

C: Did tree get birds?

B: No, tree got cat. Loudcat.

I think that makes sense because all the book stuff supposedly should have gotten resolved before the cake gets ordered? Then the short back and forth interruption between A and C about the fluffiness of the cat happens sometime while B finishing ordering and everything condenses into the loud tree question because it's a strange thing they're now concentrated on.

If B had been part of the fluffy cat discussion, the fluffy cat thing would have had to happen after B ordering because B can't be simultaneously doing both?

Alternatively, would the part about the book flow more like it is posted without retroactive interrupting?

Quote:

A: Let's get cake. What do you folks want?
Also how is your cat?

B: Chocolate.
*looks at a book*
How IS your cat?

C: Cake is lie, pie FTW, piecake only cake.
Cat is good. How's tree?

A: Lemon cake, pls, ty

B: *orders lemon cake* (while A and C are taking about cat still being fluffy)

A: Cat is still fluffy?

(by the way/ as an aside) Was that book good?

B: Yeah, book was good. (and)
Tree is loud.

A: How is tree loud?

C: Did tree get birds?

B: No, tree got cat. Loudcat.

I think this interpretation is a little more awkward because it's like alternating conversations at the same time with the same people. Definitely happens, but just a little odd.

Sorry for the length and ridiculousness of this question. Thanks for any insights! (Was going to post it to chatzy but thought an example was needed and that got too long ;_;"" I can also find an example from previous guild posts, if that makes it easier?)  

addaellis

CatWaffle
Crew

Questionable Waffles

9,225 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:05 am
addaellis

I'm no mod so my word is by no means law but usully it follows posting order of

A-->B-->C-->A-->B-->C

If C is mere observing then with C's permission they can be skipped. It usually done as such to avoid skipping accidentally. There are instances where it can switch up nut i find this works 95% of the time  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:29 pm
Kungfudemoness
addaellis

I'm no mod so my word is by no means law but usully it follows posting order of

A-->B-->C-->A-->B-->C

If C is mere observing then with C's permission they can be skipped. It usually done as such to avoid skipping accidentally. There are instances where it can switch up nut i find this works 95% of the time

That makes sense. Keeping the posting order would probably get rid of most of the jumps in conversation flow, especially in this scenario. I'll update this if I run into another case, but that was a surprisingly simple and elegant method of avoiding continuity jumps. Thanks! sweatdrop  

addaellis

The Room of Requirement (Suggestions, Help, and Useful Guides)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games