Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Christian apologetics
Objections against God: Evil Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:37 am
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then He is not omnipotent. Is He able, but not willing? Then He is malevolent. Is He both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is He neither able nor willing? Then why call Him God? - Epicurus on the existance of Evil.

User Image
The four housemen of the Apocalypse

Let us read what Jesus has to say about evil:
Matthew 13:29
He said, 'No! If you pull out the weeds, you might pull out the wheat with them.

Matthew 13:30
Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn

Everyone is just in their own eyes. "I pay my taxes. I help little old ladies across the street, and I do volunteer work at the soup kitchen."
We know that the only door in through heaven is Jesus. There is no other path, no other way to walk. I am sure Epicurus did not consider himself evil. Let me ask what person does?

When God waits to remove evil we should praise ourselves lucky. What about those unsaved people we know and love? They are also evil that they have not accepted forgiveness through Jesus.

God is willing, and able, but he waits since he takes no enjoyment of throwing sinners into Hell. We know God wants everyone to turn from evil and to him.
We may think we are good and decent in our own eyes, but our standards are weak. Sure compared to a serial killer you are a saint, but compare yourself to God's standards. How do you compare to someone who has never lied,
never stolen, never done anything against their better judgement? To someone who would even find it an abomination considering to do evil?

Isaiah 1:16 wash and make yourselves clean. Take your evil deeds out of my sight! Stop doing wrong,

God is not malevolent. He is benevolent and patient. Despite all the evil happening in front of him he is long suffering. It is suffering for him to see us
in this state. All sins are sins against his nature.

Exodus 34:6 And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:02 pm
This is an excellent topic because people commonly ask the question, "Why does God let bad things happen?" There are also circumstances where bad things happen and they have a good outcome. When there was an earthquake I think it was in Haiti a few years back that was a tragic incident that took away the lives of many. Not only did bad come out of that, but also good because a lot of people were wanting to send missionary teams to help (even though they needed to be doing that before the disaster as well) and from what I heard, people were more willing to adopt children from that area. A lot of things happen for a reason 3nodding

I also like how you said that most people say, "Oh! I go to church! I help the old lady across the street! I pay my taxes on time!" and yes, that may make them look good to others, but we need to ask ourselves, "Is this all God requires of us? To go to church, help the elderly cross the road, and pay our taxes on time?" Of course not. We need to listen for God's calling in our life, delight in the love of God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit every single day. Use the gifts that God has given us through the Holy Spirit to complete the tasks at hand. God will never give us a calling that we don't have the gift for.

People may often ask themselves, "What would Jesus do?", but they may rarely ask themselves, "Have I completed God's work for the day or must I do more?"  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

BrokenDandilion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:46 pm
One of my favorite arguments would be
"God created everything, right?"
"well, yes."
"And there's evil in the world, right?"
"again, yes"
"Then God must be at least partially evil".

or

"If God is good and can do whatever he wants, why does he let bad things happen to good people? Why would He let natural disasters wipe out hundreds of thousands of innocent people?"

How would you guys answer it? When I was a young christian, this was one of the toughest things for me to answer. Why would a God who claims to BE love let all this happen?  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:31 pm
BrokenDandilion
"well, yes."
"again, yes"

or

"If God is good and can do whatever he wants, why does he let bad things happen to good people? Why would He let natural disasters wipe out hundreds of thousands of innocent people?"

How would you guys answer it? When I was a young christian, this was one of the toughest things for me to answer. Why would a God who claims to BE love let all this happen?

These are indeed common arguments. Regarding your question, there is a great response from www.gotquestions.org and I'm posting this because I'm not sure if I could've said it better myself and in a sense, this answers your questions:

Question: "Why does God allow bad things to happen to good people?"

Answer: This is one of the most difficult questions in all of theology. God is eternal, infinite, omniscient, omnipresent, and omnipotent. Why should human beings (not eternal, infinite, omniscient, omnipresent, or omnipotent) expect to be able to fully understand God’s ways? The book of Job deals with this issue. God had allowed Satan to do everything he wanted to Job except kill him. What was Job’s reaction? “Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him” (Job 13:15). “The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised” (Job 1:21). Job did not understand why God had allowed the things He did, but he knew God was good and therefore continued to trust in Him. Ultimately, that should be our reaction as well.

Why do bad things happen to good people? The biblical answer is there are no “good” people. The Bible makes it abundantly clear that all of us are tainted by and infected with sin (Ecclesiastes 7:20; Romans 3:23; 1 John 1:8.). Romans 3:10-18 could not be clearer about the non-existence of “good” people: “There is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who understands, no one who seeks God. All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one. Their throats are open graves; their tongues practice deceit. The poison of vipers is on their lips. Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness. Their feet are swift to shed blood; ruin and misery mark their ways, and the way of peace they do not know. There is no fear of God before their eyes.” Every human being on this planet deserves to be thrown into hell at this very moment. Every second we spend alive is only by the grace and mercy of God. Even the most terrible misery we could experience on this planet is merciful compared to what we deserve, eternal hell in the lake of fire.

A better question would be “Why does God allow good things to happen to bad people?” Romans 5:8 declares, “But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Despite the evil, wicked, sinful nature of the people of this world, God still loves us. He loved us enough to die to take the penalty for our sins (Romans 6:23). If we receive Jesus Christ as Savior (John 3:16; Romans 10:9), we will be forgiven and promised an eternal home in heaven (Romans 8:1). What we deserve is hell. What we are given is eternal life in heaven if we come to Christ in faith.

Yes, sometimes bad things happen to people who seem undeserving of them. But God allows things to happen for His reasons, whether or not we understand them. Above all, however, we must remember that God is good, just, loving, and merciful. Often things happen to us that we simply cannot understand. However, instead of doubting God's goodness, our reaction should be to trust Him. ”Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight” (Proverbs 3:5-6).  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

Rsnbl Faith

Hilarious Defender

6,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:29 pm
Can God not allow what He does not desire? If so then he is not Omnipotent. It is because God is able to allow what He does not desire that makes Him omnipotent, that is the error in his argument towards evil.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:36 pm
BrokenDandilion
"well, yes."
"again, yes"

or

Simple answer Evil is not created, rather it is spoiled goodness.  

Rsnbl Faith

Hilarious Defender

6,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:29 pm
Rsnbl Faith
Can God not allow what He does not desire? If so then he is not Omnipotent. It is because God is able to allow what He does not desire that makes Him omnipotent, that is the error in his argument towards evil.

The definition of omnipotent in the dictionary fits God well:

adjective
1. almighty or infinite in power, as God.
2. having very great or unlimited authority or power.

3. an omnipotent being.
4. the Omnipotent, God.

Synonyms
2. powerful, mighty, supreme.

*God is absolutely powerful:

Psalm 62:11 NIV:

One thing God has spoken,
two things I have heard:
Power belongs to you, God,
and with you, Lord, is unfailing love”;
and, “You reward everyone
according to what they have done.”

1 Corinthians 6:14 NIV:

By his power God raised the Lord from the dead, and he will raise us also.

Jeremiah 10:12 NIV:

But God made the earth by his power;
he founded the world by his wisdom
and stretched out the heavens by his understanding.

*God is definitely almighty and supreme:

Revelation 22:13 NIV:

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

Psalms 84:11 - 12 NIV:

For the Lord God is a sun and shield;
the Lord bestows favor and honor;
no good thing does he withhold
from those whose walk is blameless.

Lord Almighty,
blessed is the one who trusts in you.

*Therefore, God is omnipotent:

Revelation 19:6 KJV:

And I heard as it were the voice of a great multitude, and as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of mighty thunderings, saying, Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth.

*In the Greek - "omnipotent" is pantokrator, which means "all-ruling", which is most commonly translated to "almighty". It has nothing to do with what God allows and doesn't allow to happen and why. God can do everything, except sin and deny himself (Titus 1:2 & 2 Timothy 2:13).  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:36 pm
Aquatic_blue
Rsnbl Faith

adjective

3. an omnipotent being.
4. the Omnipotent, God.

Synonyms

two things I have heard:

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

Lord Almighty,

And I heard as it were the voice of a great multitude, and as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of mighty thunderings, saying, Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth.

*In the Greek - "omnipotent" is pantokrator, which means "all-ruling", which is most commonly translated to "almighty". It has nothing to do with what God allows and doesn't allow to happen and why. God can do everything, except sin and deny himself (Titus 1:2 & 2 Timothy 2:13).

Why exactly was this posted ^^"?  

Rsnbl Faith

Hilarious Defender

6,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:53 pm
Rsnbl Faith
Aquatic_blue
Rsnbl Faith

adjective

3. an omnipotent being.
4. the Omnipotent, God.

Synonyms

two things I have heard:

Lord Almighty,

This was posted for the reason that why God is omnipotent doesn't have to do with what He does or doesn't allow as you were mentioning before. God is omnipotent because he is powerful, almighty, supreme, and so much more.

It depends what you mean by that phrase as well because it is a bit vague =/ it would've been better phrased something like, "God is omnipotent because He gives us grace and mercy." It would've been better understood if that is what you meant. When you say, "Can God not allow what He does not desire? If so then he is not Omnipotent." that means "God is not omnipotent because He allows things to happen that he doesn't desire." or, "God is not omnipotent because He doesn't allow things to happen that he does not desire." and then you say, "It is because God is able to allow what He does not desire that makes Him omnipotent," which means, "God is omnipotent because he allows what He doesn't desire." The two sentences seem to contradict when read. It's best to write it in a way that doesn't seem so subtle.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:07 pm
Aquatic_blue
Rsnbl Faith
Aquatic_blue
Rsnbl Faith

adjective

3. an omnipotent being.
4. the Omnipotent, God.

Synonyms

two things I have heard:

Lord Almighty,

This was posted for the reason that why God is omnipotent doesn't have to do with what He does or doesn't allow as you were mentioning before. God is omnipotent because he is powerful, almighty, supreme, and so much more.

It depends what you mean by that phrase as well because it is a bit vague =/ it would've been better phrased something like, "God is omnipotent because He gives us grace and mercy." It would've been better understood if that is what you meant. When you say, "Can God not allow what He does not desire? If so then he is not Omnipotent." that means "God is not omnipotent because He allows things to happen that he doesn't desire." or, "God is not omnipotent because He doesn't allow things to happen that he does not desire." and then you say, "It is because God is able to allow what He does not desire that makes Him omnipotent," which means, "God is omnipotent because he allows what He doesn't desire." The two sentences seem to contradict when read. It's best to write it in a way that doesn't seem so subtle.

Then it was merely communication issues ^^". My first statement meant that if God can't allow something to happen that he doesn't desire to happen, then he isn't omnipotent at all. But because He can allow what He doesn't desire He is omnipotent. It's a form of arguing that was established originally by Socrates and is used by Epicurus up there. I've used this argument a lot against this very argument ^^"...  

Rsnbl Faith

Hilarious Defender

6,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:34 pm
Rsnbl Faith
Aquatic_blue
Rsnbl Faith
Aquatic_blue
Rsnbl Faith

adjective

3. an omnipotent being.
4. the Omnipotent, God.

Synonyms

two things I have heard:

Lord Almighty,

Then it was merely communication issues ^^". My first statement meant that if God can't allow something to happen that he doesn't desire to happen, then he isn't omnipotent at all. But because He can allow what He doesn't desire He is omnipotent. It's a form of arguing that was established originally by Socrates and is used by Epicurus up there. I've used this argument a lot against this very argument ^^"...

Then why not just say, "God is omnipotent because he can allow what He doesn't desire?" instead of using the first bit. It creates an illusion of a double negative, or a contradictory sentence.

I would imagine a lot of people here may not be familiar with the original writing styles that descended from the philosophers. Especially since that writing style is not commonly used today, or is often used in a joking manner, or to lead a witness in court to say something that they don't mean since not everyone has studied those types of writing. They can be difficult to understand and can appear subtle because not everyone understands what the person is trying to say. This can mistakenly cause arguments, disagreements, and misunderstandings.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:56 pm
Aquatic_blue
Rsnbl Faith
Aquatic_blue
Rsnbl Faith
Aquatic_blue
Rsnbl Faith

adjective

3. an omnipotent being.
4. the Omnipotent, God.

Synonyms

two things I have heard:

Lord Almighty,

Then why not just say, "God is omnipotent because he can allow what He doesn't desire?" instead of using the first bit. It creates an illusion of a double negative, or a contradictory sentence.

I would imagine a lot of people here may not be familiar with the original writing styles that descended from the philosophers. Especially since that writing style is not commonly used today, or is often used in a joking manner, or to lead a witness in court to say something that they don't mean since not everyone has studied those types of writing. They can be difficult to understand and can appear subtle because not everyone understands what the person is trying to say. This can mistakenly cause arguments, disagreements, and misunderstandings.

: o Mostly because its come so easily to me and is often easier for me to understand that way. I've always felt it covers the the argument more fully, and leaves less holes to be attacked.  

Rsnbl Faith

Hilarious Defender

6,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:28 am
BrokenDandilion
"well, yes."
"again, yes"

or

I would say; Initially everything was perfect. Everything God did create he found to be good according to his standards - not evil. God also allowed for his creatures to make their own decisions which is were evil comes into the picture. Bad things happened because of a wrong decision (fall of Lucifer due to his pride. There was when he was created nothing bad in him. Garden of Eden and the fall of man). The earth was cursed due to Adam and Eve's decision to listen to the serpent over God. Much of what we experience here today is due to that curse. Creation groans under that curse. (everything is breaking down, dying. Even the stars.) All this misery and pain that comes from being separated from God, but there is hope in Jesus.
Until Jesus comes back to establish his millennium kingdom things will be like this. They will be painful, and there will be death and natural disasters, but when he returns all things will be made new. He will even wipe the tears from the eyes of those who are sorrowful.

Is God evil for allowing this to happen? No. Long suffering.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:53 pm
Garland-Green
BrokenDandilion
"well, yes."
"again, yes"

or

I would say; Initially everything was perfect. Everything God did create he found to be good according to his standards - not evil. God also allowed for his creatures to make their own decisions which is were evil comes into the picture. Bad things happened because of a wrong decision (fall of Lucifer due to his pride. There was when he was created nothing bad in him. Garden of Eden and the fall of man). The earth was cursed due to Adam and Eve's decision to listen to the serpent over God. Much of what we experience here today is due to that curse. Creation groans under that curse. (everything is breaking down, dying. Even the stars.) All this misery and pain that comes from being separated from God, but there is hope in Jesus.
Until Jesus comes back to establish his millennium kingdom things will be like this. They will be painful, and there will be death and natural disasters, but when he returns all things will be made new. He will even wipe the tears from the eyes of those who are sorrowful.

Is God evil for allowing this to happen? No. Long suffering.

That's an excellent way to put it 3nodding  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
Christian apologetics

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash