Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Bible Study
Do men have one less rib because of Eve?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Alien Named Jerry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:39 pm
Q. Are men short a rib since God had to use one of Adam's in order to create Eve?

A. The verses that reference your question are in the book of Genesis:

"And the Lord God said, 'It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him . . . '

"And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall on Adam, and he slept; and He took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh in its place. Then the rib which the Lord God had taken from man He made into a woman, and He brought her to the man.

"And Adam said: 'This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; She shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.'" (Genesis 2:18, 21-23, NKJV)

The answer to your question is that men today are not short one rib due to the creation of Eve. In regard to Adam, although the Bible is not specific, either he lived the rest of his life with one part or God healed him.

Below are some fascinating thoughts to consider regarding God's creation of Eve from Adam:

"She was not made out of his head to surpass him, nor from his feet to be trampled on, but from his side to be equal to him, and near his heart to be dear to him." (Jamieson, Fausset and Brown Commentary)

"Some part of man was to be used on the occasion, whether bone or flesh it matters not; though it is likely . . . that a part of both was taken; for Adam, knowing how the woman was formed, said, 'This is flesh of my flesh, and bone of my bone.'

"God could have formed the woman out of the dust of the earth, as he had formed the man; but had he done so, she would have appeared in his eyes as a distinct being, to whom he had no natural relation. But as God formed her out of a part of the man himself, he saw she was of the same nature, the same identical flesh and blood, and of the same constitution in all respects, and consequently having equal powers, faculties, and rights. This at once ensured his affection . . ." (Adam Clarke's Commentary on the Bible)

"But when he (God) saw that Adam had no female companion, no society, for there was no such created, and that he wondered at the other animals which were male and female, he laid him asleep, and took away one of his ribs, and out of it formed the woman; whereupon Adam knew her when she was brought to him, and acknowledged that she was made out of himself.

"Now a woman is called in the Hebrew tongue Issa (or Ishah, Strong's Concordance #H802) but the name of this woman was Eve, which signifies 'the mother of all living.' " (Antiquities (History) of the Jews by Flavius Josephus, Book 1, Chapter 1)

A man in the Hebrew language is known as Ish, Strong's #H376. When God made Eve out of Adam, he was making Ishah out of Ish.

Ultimately, God's "surgery" on Adam did not seem to adversely affect his health since he lived to the ripe old age of 930 years (Genesis 5:5). Adam lived the fourth longest life of any human (Methuselah lived the longest at 969 years of life).

Written by: Clay Willis
Additional Study Materials
from BibleStudy.org

http://www.biblestudy.org/question/do-men-have-one-less-rib-due-to-eve.html  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:20 am
As a recommendation in your choice of scholarly resources/commentaries, I would recommend doing a little research on the individuals life and their beliefs due to the fact that a few of these "scholars" had twisted or unbiblical ideologies. Remember first to consult The Holy Bible since it is divine inspiration of God than to look to commentaries since those are interpretations by individuals to whom we do not know if they were inspired by God or not. Always use scripture as a core foundation rather than assumptions and conjectures of other individuals. God bless, and I hope that I could be of some encouragement regarding this matter.  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

Aoife

Beloved Worshipper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:14 am
I think it's a great idea to look at several commentaries. Wisdom is found in a multitude of counselors.

I have heard a few different and interesting theories or thoughts on this subject that I am just going to throw out there.

The first was that the translation "rib" is vastly lacking. When God made Adam ans made "him" "male and female" Adam was containing all the parts within himself for reproduction and He took out a womb (better translation "chamber") basically (among other things,) to form Eve from.
Interesting thought, yes?

The second was the Adam was taken from the dirt and was therefor a black man, Eve was taken from bone and therefore white and our first couple was inter-racial. smile

Just some fun to think about, please don't crucify me! rofl  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:15 am
Aquatic_blue
As a recommendation in your choice of scholarly resources/commentaries, I would recommend doing a little research on the individuals life and their beliefs due to the fact that a few of these "scholars" had twisted or unbiblical ideologies. Remember first to consult The Holy Bible since it is divine inspiration of God than to look to commentaries since those are interpretations by individuals to whom we do not know if they were inspired by God or not. Always use scripture as a core foundation rather than assumptions and conjectures of other individuals. God bless, and I hope that I could be of some encouragement regarding this matter.
Thank you. I was unable to find out very much about their lives other then that one of them was a Methodist, one was Calvinist. Maybe you would share what you know about the commentaries or those that made the commentaries? Can't you be right on some points even if you are mistaken on others?  

Alien Named Jerry

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:31 am
Gult Hav
Aquatic_blue
Thank you. I was unable to find out very much about their lives other then that one of them was a Methodist, one was Calvinist. Maybe you would share what you know about the commentaries or those that made the commentaries? Can't you be right on some points even if you are mistaken on others?

Individuals can be right in some points and mistaken on others, but we must be careful if we use a person and then someone comes out with a different commentary, it can offset the balance of your main idea. For example, if the commentary writer writes something good and is supportive of scripture, but then writes another article that contradicts previous writings it can destroy the foundation that was laid. What I mean by this, someone might know of the mistakes the person made and apply it also, which could corrupt the point you are trying to get across. As a thought, there were commentary writers in the past that were Christian that also prescribed to other religions, which influenced them into adding false doctrines and false ideologies into their commentaries. Although, some of what they wrote was correct - all together, it can cause confusion and possibly someone to fall in their faith. I am glad you realize that sometimes they can do good and also make mistakes.

Overall, if we use commentaries, it is wise to back them up with scripture out of The Holy Bible, too - and including multiple versions. That way - the understanding can be met from multiple paradigms.  
Bible Study

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games