Reply General Discussion
Re-Tooling of Sci Fi

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Siegfried006

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:46 pm
There was a blogpost linked to me on facebook that when I find it again I shall show you guys, but it basically talked about the direction the sci-fi genre is going. Namely, death by alien invasion, near total destruction of the human race, which all can be basically summed up to the downfall of civilization as we know it.

Now, this person goes on to talk about how during the 20th century everyone was excited and hopeful about the strides of progress technology was going to make. We would journey out into the stars, disease would be wiped clean from the planet, and we would achieve world peace beyond the year 2000. This sentiment was reflected in the sci-fi genre of the times and it was generally good stuff.

I'm not here to start a discussion on how attitudes changed, why they changed, amongst other topics. We all have our own ideas as to when and where this sense of hope died, what I want to discuss is this: How would you, as a writer, get people interested in sci-fi again without resorting to any of the scenarios listed above?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:44 pm
I just wanted pop in quickly to say that I read your post and I'm stewing about it right now. I enjoy writing and reading the occasional sci-fi novel, so I want to reflect on what you're question is before I dive in and give an answer. I suppose before I can, I want to ask for some clarification.

What do you mean when you say, "get people interested in sci-fi again." Do you mean that people have lost interest in sci-fi because the scenarios seem to have changed, or did I miss the point?

Anyway, as a quick answer, I would say: Good writing and audience appealing stories will always usually win out.  

AurinJade

Mind-boggling Blob

Siegfried006

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:09 pm
AurinJade
I just wanted pop in quickly to say that I read your post and I'm stewing about it right now. I enjoy writing and reading the occasional sci-fi novel, so I want to reflect on what you're question is before I dive in and give an answer. I suppose before I can, I want to ask for some clarification.

What do you mean when you say, "get people interested in sci-fi again." Do you mean that people have lost interest in sci-fi because the scenarios seem to have changed, or did I miss the point?

Anyway, as a quick answer, I would say: Good writing and audience appealing stories will always usually win out.
The way this blogpost was written (which I'm looking for) seem to indicate that because of the repetition of scenarios above where the future is all doom and gloom, interest in the sci-fi genre is on the down curve. People (and I don't how many people this blogpost was very generalized) are sick to death of it and want something else,

So, my question is, what would you as a writer do to reinvigorate the sci-fi genre without resorting to the dystropic story plots. (dystropic being that human civilization is gone and the survivors are living a regressed life style.)  
General Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games