Submit

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:33 pm
I found this documentary on YouTube about a reclusive artist who created an astounding world of his own in his little room. Go watch before it's taken down or something!

From the YouTube page description:

Henry Joseph Darger, Jr. ( April 12, 1892 -- April 13, 1973) was a reclusive American writer and artist who worked as a custodian in Chicago, Illinois. He has become famous for his posthumously-discovered 15,145-page, single-spaced fantasy manuscript called The Story of the Vivian Girls, in What is known as the Realms of the Unreal, of the Glandeco-Angelinian War Storm, Caused by the Child Slave Rebellion, along with several hundred drawings and watercolor paintings illustrating the story. Darger's work has become one of the most celebrated examples of outsider art.

In the Realms of the Unreal  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:55 pm
I WANNA READ DARGER'S WRITINGS SO BADLY.

First came across the mysterious existence of Henry Darger when the documentary first came out. Been fascinated ever since. Outsider art in general fascinates me, and Darger created so much it's impossible to overlook. It sucks that his works have been reduced to a "fine art" status, selling for ridiculously large amounts of money or hidden from public view.

(I know this thread was posted in July, but it's still the first page of the Books subforum so I hope this isn't necroing. If it is, I apologize.)  

JohJohTheMahdern

Hallowed Bunny

15,800 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nudist Colony 200

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:23 pm
psibunny
I WANNA READ DARGER'S WRITINGS SO BADLY.

You and me both! All I've ever found are references, some reproductions of his drawing/collages, and a few articles written about his work... but never the actual writing.

Quote:
(I know this thread was posted in July, but it's still the first page of the Books subforum so I hope this isn't necroing. If it is, I apologize.)

Umm... "necroing"?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:27 pm
Gigi Deveraux

Posting in a thread considered too old to be alive anymore... reanimating a dead thread. Forum necromancy. Evil posting magic. biggrin It's against the rules in various forums, and openly hated by some users even when it's legal.

I checked and this guild doesn't seem to have a rule against it.  

JohJohTheMahdern

Hallowed Bunny

15,800 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nudist Colony 200

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:34 pm
psibunny
Posting in a thread considered too old to be alive anymore... reanimating a dead thread. Forum necromancy. Evil posting magic. biggrin It's against the rules in various forums, and openly hated by some users even when it's legal.

Ohhh... so technically this thread is one of the following?

A) a ghoul;
B) a vampire;
C) a revenant;
D) a zombie.

Each of them has their own characteristics, but that's for a different topic.

Going back to Darger, did you watch the video? If it's still even available. I managed to download it to my hard drive, thankfully.  
18. ✿ - - - Books

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games