Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Cults, heresies, Pseudepigrapha and other religions
Mormonism Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:51 am
User Image

The Mormon movement began with Joseph Smith, Jr. in the year 1820. Joseph Smith was born in 1805.

User Image

The saga of Mormonism began in 1820, when a young man named Joseph Smith, Jr., purportedly expe­rienced a spectacular vision. Two celestial personages appeared to him, claiming all existing churches were wrong, all their creeds were an abomination, and all their professors were corrupt.1 These beings made it clear to Joseph that he had been chosen to restore, rather than reform a church that had disappeared from the face of the earth.

In 1823 the angel Moroni was said to have visited young Joseph and divulged the location of gold plates con­taining the “fullness of the ever­lasting gospel.” These plates — abridged by Moroni and his father, Mormon,2 fourteen hundred years earlier — were written in “reformed Egyptian hieroglyphics.” Smith supposedly found, buried along with the plates, a pair of magi­cal eyeglasses3 that he used to trans­late the cryptic writing into English. The result was a new revelation called the Book of Mormon4 and a new religion called Mormonism.

Organizationally, Mormonism began when John the Baptist alleged­ly ordained Smith and Oliver Cowdery (a schoolteacher who assisted Smith by transcribing the inscriptions on the gold plates) to the Aaronic priesthood. Subsequent to the appearance of John the Baptist, the apostles Peter, James, and John were said to have conferred the Melchizedek priesthood and apostle­ship on Smith and Cowdery, giving them the authority to act on behalf of Jesus Christ in this last dispensation.5 On April 6, 1830, the Mormon church was officially launched.

Revelations in Mormonism are not relegated to personal appearances by angels like Moroni6 or apostles like Peter. However, the Mormon church claims three volumes of Scripture, or “standard works,” in addition to the Bible. The foremost of these revelations is the Book of Mormon, purportedly “the record of God’s dealings with the ancient inhabitants of the Americas” which “contains, as does the Bible, the fullness of the everlasting gospel.”7Mormons believe the prophet Ezekiel was talking about the Book of Mormon when he alluded to the stick of Joseph (Ezek. 37:16ff).8
How millions can take the Book of Mormon seriously is almost beyond comprehension. While Smith referred to it as “the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion,”9 its flaws run the gamut from the serious to the silly. In the category of serious we find that Ether 3:14 (“Behold, I am Jesus Christ, I am the Father and the Son”) is modalistic and militates against Trinitarian theology, while Alma 11:44 (“Christ the Son, and God the Father, and the Holy Spirit, which is one Eternal God”) is basi­cally consistent with the biblical doc­trine of the Trinity.

In the category of silly is the account in Alma 44 of a man who becomes irate after being scalped and stirs up his soldiers to fight “more powerfully.” And in Ether 15 we read of a man who struggles to catch his breath after having his head cut off. The Book of Mormon has now been altered over 4,000 times to compensate for Smith’s poor command of English, as well as for the numerous errors and incon­sistencies it presented.

Doctrine and Covenants — a compilation of alleged divine revela­tions given to the Mormon church — is equally problematic. Among the far-fetched revelations it has foisted on humanity is the doctrine of polygamy. It was not until the Mormons were threatened with exile that their president, Wilford Woodruff, received a revelation relegating polygamy to the afterlife.

The third extra-biblical revelation in the Mormon Canon — namely, the Pearl of Great Price — is no less troubling. It was used for years by Mormons to prevent African-Americans from entering their priest­hood and consequently from being exalted to godhood in the system’s celestial kingdom. Mormon prophet Brigham Young went so far as to declare that the reason “Negroes” have a “flat nose and black skin” is because God had put a curse on them.10 While these and other aberrations pose a serious threat to Mormon credibility, it is the organi­zation’s deviations from essential Christian doctrine which ultimately define it as a non-Christian cult. Major Mormon theological travesties begin with the denial of Christ’s deity. In fact, Christ, according to Mormon theology, has the dubious distinction of being Lucifer’s spirit brother. In addition, Mormonism denies:

the doctrine of original sin, teach­ing instead that men and women are, in reality, gods in embryo;

Christ’s preservation of His church, teaching instead that the true church vanished from the earth after the death of the apostles, and that Joseph Smith had to restore it with his “latter-day saints;”

the Trinity, affirming instead that God the Father and Jesus have bodies of “flesh and bone,” that the Holy Spirit is “a personage of Spirit,”11 and that the Trinity is pagan in origin;

the inerrancy of Scripture, teaching instead that the Bible can be trusted only as far it is translated correctly;”12

Christ was begotten by the Holy Ghost in His incarnation, teaching instead that God the Father sex with Mary,13 “instead letting any other man do it;”14
the immutability of God, affirming instead that God was “perhaps once child, and mortal like we ourselves:’’15

the biblical concept of hell, teaching that all can be rescued, except for “sons of perdition” — those who, like the author of this volume, are apostate Mormons.

Oath-taking is yet another probl­em with Mormonism. Temple Mormons, for example, once swore never to reveal their secret rituals on penalty that our throats be cut from ear to ear and our tongues torn out by their roots.” Although this and other violent oaths were altered during the first half of the twentieth century, and removed from the ritu­al just recently, they are an enduring reminder of the ferocious secrecy in which Mormon temple rituals are shrouded.

The “new and everlasting covenant” of plural marriage is per­haps the best example of Mormon equivocation. In 1890, under threat of exile to Mexico, Mormons officially abolished polygamy in the earthly realm. However, in secret temple ceremonies, Mormon males continue to be sealed to multiple wives — in the heavenly realm.16 Thus, the earthly practice of polygamy, publicly promoted by Brigham Young (who personally had 27 wives and 52 children), is now promised to those who attain the highest level of the celestial kingdom. Like their Heavenly Father, Mormon males may hope to one day, too, rule their own personal planets and enjoy endless, celestial sex with multiple goddess wives.

Even this cursory overview of Mormon history and theology should make it abundantly clear that while Mormons use Christian terminology, both the roots and fruits of their reli­gion are decidedly unbiblical. It is crucial that Christians learn to scale the Mormon language barrier. It is my prayer that, in the process, you will become so familiar with the truth that when counterfeits loom on the horizon you will be able to recognize them instantaneously.
— Hank Hanegraaff

· Adapted from the foreword to Decker’s Complete Handbook on Mormonism (Harvest House, 1995). Used by permission.

Notes:
1.The Pearl of Great Price, Joseph Smith — History 1:18-19.
2.According to Joseph Smith, the word Mormon “means, literally, more good.” Smith wrote that “mor” is simply a contraction of the word “more” and that “mon” is the Egyptian word for “good.” Quoted in Fawn M. Brodie, No Man Knows My History: The Life of Joseph Smith the Mormon Prophet (New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1945), 276. Cf. Joseph Smith, Jr. History of the Church, 7 vols. (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1978; reprint), 5:400.
3.Described as two stones in silver bows called the Urim and Thummim in the Pearl of Great Price, Joseph Smith — History 1:35; cf. v. 62.
4.The Book of Mormon contains an apocryphal account of the ancient inhabitants of the Americas. They were divided into three groups: the Jaredites, the Nephites, and the Lamanites. The Lamanites are purportedly the principal ancestors of the American Indians.
5.Doctrine and Covenants 27:12-13.
6.It should be noted that Moroni, for some inexplicable reason, did not achieve godhood, but had merely become a resurrected angel.
7.The Book of Mormon, introduction.
8.According to Mormonism, the “stick of Judah” is the Bible and the “stick of Joseph” the Book of Mormon. The joining of these “sticks” symbolizes the joining of the two writings.
9.Smith, History of the Church, 4:461. Cf. The Book of Mormon, intro­duction.
10.See, for example, Journal of Discourses, 7:290-91.
11.Doctrine and Covenants, 130:22.
12.8th Article of Faith.
13.See Bruce R. McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, 2d ed. (Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1966), 547.
14.Brigham Young in Journal of Discourses, 4:218.
15.Orson Hyde in Journal of Discourses, 1:123.
16.Recent Mormon President Howard W. Hunter for example, was sealed to both of his wives, but not while both were living.

Source

The original post was removed due to it being copyrighted material. You can find it follwing the link provided below;
Tract to be found here

More
Wikipedia on Mormonism
"What is Mormonism? What do Mormons believe?"

Since Melton (original) has been accused of not knowing what he is talking about I have provided the words of other writers. You judge yourself whether it is accurate or not:

The Basics Of Mormonism
Is the Book of Mormon Credible?
Joseph Smith's "Inspired" Revisions to the King James Bible
The Mormon View of Salvation: A Gospel That Is Truly Impossible
Philosophical Problems with the Mormon Concept of God  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:07 am
Unable to identify Vimeo video URL.DNA vs. The Book of Mormon

The Bible vs. The Book of Mormon  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Robotic Chewie2590

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:40 pm
The Visitors  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:04 am
This is an informative article, and thank you for posting. I never knew much about Mormonism and only knew that they knocked on your door and their eyes got real big and they dismissed themselves quickly if you said you were non-denominational. It helps me understand some people I know that used to be Mormon and converted to Christianity, and why they are edgy about certain issues.  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:38 am
Aquatic_blue
This is an informative article, and thank you for posting. I never knew much about Mormonism and only knew that they knocked on your door and their eyes got real big and they dismissed themselves quickly if you said you were non-denominational. It helps me understand some people I know that used to be Mormon and converted to Christianity, and why they are edgy about certain issues.
I never knew there were that many Mormons... After doing some reading I was surprised. We mostly have Jehovah's witnesses here where I live... Their religion is pretty sad. One that is set apart from salvation through faith. I think it is important to know these things in case we are ever visited by them.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:44 am
Garland-Green
Aquatic_blue
I never knew there were that many Mormons... After doing some reading I was surprised. We mostly have Jehovah's witnesses here where I live... Their religion is pretty sad. One that is set apart from salvation through faith. I think it is important to know these things in case we are ever visited by them.

It's definitely true that knowing this stuff can be of value in our witnessing endeavors as Christians 3nodding I was also surprised how many Mormons there are out there. I know some people believe because they have more than one book and consider more than one book to be solid evidence. I also know that generally we aren't liked by a majority of Mormons and it happens, sadly.

I'm watching the video now that you posted and so far it's definitely interesting to see the differences between The Holy Bible and The Book of Mormon. Definitely large variances.  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:37 pm
First of all let me point out that this thread is full of exsessive misinformation and msirepresentation of facts.

Second, I want to get it out in the open that I am a Mormon. I used to be protestant, but converted to the LDS Church several years ago, because I found the whole truth every other religion seemed to deny. I am more than willing to answer any questions that you guys have for me.

Third, Maybe you should get your facts straight about the Church before you post stuff like this. Things are often misunderstood by people who don't use the Holy Ghost as guidance in the search for truth.

This James L. Melton knows nothing about the Church. My guess is that he was never a member of it, he never talked with any of the missionaries, bishops, or even the prophet. He probably just googled a bunch of crap and wrote an article without even taking time to study and understand what he was reading.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:47 am
Shadows-shine
First of all let me point out that this thread is full of exsessive misinformation and msirepresentation of facts.

Second, I want to get it out in the open that I am a Mormon. I used to be protestant, but converted to the LDS Church several years ago, because I found the whole truth every other religion seemed to deny. I am more than willing to answer any questions that you guys have for me.

Third, Maybe you should get your facts straight about the Church before you post stuff like this. Things are often misunderstood by people who don't use the Holy Ghost as guidance in the search for truth.

This James L. Melton knows nothing about the Church. My guess is that he was never a member of it, he never talked with any of the missionaries, bishops, or even the prophet. He probably just googled a bunch of crap and wrote an article without even taking time to study and understand what he was reading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormon_cosmology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Smith

If you disagree with what I posted you are welcome to point out errors, and correct what you feel is wrong. If you feel there are misrepresentations and misinformation please use sources or reference to verses that support your view. What truth is it that every other religion seems to deny?
What are the facts about the church?

Joseph Smith:. "Sons of God who exalt themselves to be Gods, even from before the foundation of the world, and are the only Gods I have a reverence for." History of the Church, vol. 6, p. 478 (1844)

Brigham Young — Adam came into the garden of Eden with a celestial body and one of his many wives, he is our Father and God. The Father, not the Holy Spirit, conceived Jesus with the Virgin Mary. Journal of Discourses, vol. 1, p. 50 (April 9, 1852)

Brigham Young — "Jesus, our elder brother, was begotten in the flesh by the same character that was in the garden of Eden, and who is our Father in Heaven." Journal of Discourses, vol. 1, p. 51 (April 9, 1852)

Joseph Smith - Joseph says he will prove the world wrong. "God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted Man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens. ... We have imagined and supposed that God was God from all eternity. I will refute that idea ... he was once a man like us; yea, that God himself, the father of us all, dwelt on an earth the same as Jesus Christ himself did. Journal of Discourses, vol. 6, p. 3 (1844)

Brigham Young - "Mankind are here because they are the offspring of parents who were brought here from another planet." Journal of Discourses, vol. 7, p. 285 (1859)

Brigham Young - "Jesus Christ was not begotten by the Holy Ghost." Millennial Star, vol. 15, p. 770 (1853)

Brigham Young - Adam "brought the animals and seeds from other planets to this world." Journal of Discourses, vol. 3, p. 319 (1856)

Brigham Young - "The birth of the Saviour was as natural as are the births of our children; it was the result of natural action. He partook of flesh and blood — was begotten of his Father, as we were of our fathers." Journal of Discourses, vol. 8, p. 115 (1860)

Orson Pratt - Each God has more than one wife. The Virgin Mary was wife of Heavenly Father. "The fleshly body of Jesus required a Mother as well as a Father. Therefore, the Father and Mother of Jesus, according to the flesh, must have been associated together in the capacity of Husband and Wife; hence the Virgin Mary must have been, for the time being, the lawful wife of God the Father." The Seer, p. 158 (1853)

Brigham Young - There are many earths that exist. Every earth has its redeemer and every earth has its tempter. Journal of Discourses, vol. 14, p. 71 (1870)

Orson Pratt - God the Father was begotten by his own Father in Heaven who was begotten by still an earlier father on an earlier world and the regression is infinite. The Seer, p. 132 (1853)

Joseph Smith - "Thus the head God brought forth the Gods in the grand council. ... In the beginning, the head of the Gods called a council of the Gods; and they came together and concocted a plan to create the world and people it." Journal of Discourses, vol. 6, p. 5 (1844)

Joseph Smith - Joseph ridicules Christian concept of Trinity saying such a God would be a giant or monster. History of the Church, vol. 6, p. 476 (1844)

Joseph Smith - "Here then is eternal life — to know the only wise and true God ; and you have got to learn how to be Gods yourselves, and to be kings and priests to God, the same as all Gods have done before you" Journal of Discourses, vol. 6, p. 4 (1844)

Brigham Young speaking in the Journal of Discourses Vo1 15, Page 770 1853, "Now remember from this time forth, and for ever, that Jesus Christ was not begotten by the Holy Ghost... if the Son was begotten by the Holy Ghost, it would be a very dangerous to baptize and confirm females, and give the Holy Ghost to them, lest he should beget children..."

Do you feel the Mormon cosmology harmonies with the message of the Bible, and the nature of God and Jesus as taught by the disciples?

Galatians 1:8
But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned!

Mormonism
"And they (the Gods) said: Let there be light: and there was light (Book of Abraham 4:3).

There is only one God (Isaiah 43:11; 44:6,8; 45:5).

Mormonism
"God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens!!! . . . We have imagined that God was God from all eternity. I will refute that idea and take away the veil, so that you may see," (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 345).

God has always been God (Psalm 90:2; Isaiah 57:15).

Mormonism
"The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man's," (Doctrine and Covenants 130:22; Compare with Alma 18:26-27; 22:9-10).
"Therefore we know that both the Father and the Son are in form and stature perfect men; each of them possesses a tangible body . . . of flesh and bones," [Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, p. 38].

God is a spirit without flesh and bones (John 4:24; Luke 24:39).

Mormonism
The trinity is three separate Gods: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. "That these three are separate individuals, physically distinct from each other, is demonstrated by the accepted records of divine dealings with man," (Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, p. 35).

The Trinity is the doctrine that there is only one God in all the universe and that He exists in three eternal, simultaneous persons: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Mormonism
"The birth of the Saviour was as natural as are the births of our children; it was the result of natural action. He partook of flesh and blood - was begotten of his Father, as we were of our fathers," (Journal of Discourses, vol. 8, p. 115).
"Christ was begotten by an Immortal Father in the same way that mortal men are begotten by mortal fathers" (Mormon Doctrine, by Bruce McConkie, p. 547).

Jesus was born of the virgin Mary (Isaiah 7:14; Matt. 1:23)

Mormonism
Jesus is the literal spirit-brother of Lucifer, a creation (Gospel Through the Ages, p. 15).

And I, the Lord God, spake unto Moses, saying: That Satan, whom thou hast commanded in the name of mine Only Begotten, is the same which was from the beginning, and he came before me, saying—Behold, here am I, send me, I will be thy son, and I will redeem all mankind, that one soul shall not be lost, and surely I will do it; wherefore give me thine honor.

But, behold, my Beloved Son, which was my Beloved and Chosen from the beginning, said unto me—Father, thy will be done, and the glory be thine forever.

Wherefore, because that Satan rebelled against me, and sought to destroy the agency of man, which I, the Lord God, had given him, and also, that I should give unto him mine own power; by the power of mine Only Begotten, I caused that he should be cast down;

And he became Satan, yea, even the devil, the father of all lies, to deceive and to blind men, and to lead them captive at his will, even as many as would not hearken unto my voice. (Moses 4:1-4, Pearl of Great Price)

Apostle John A. Widtsoe explained:
The story of Lucifer is the most terrible example of such apostasy. ... He pitted his own plan and will against the purposes of God. He strove to gain the birthright of his Elder Brother, Jesus the Christ.

How can Jesus and Lucifer be spirit brothers when their characters and purposes are so utterly opposed? From Latter-Day Saints.org

Jesus is the eternal Son. He is second person of the Trinity. He has two natures. He is God in flesh and man (John 1:1, 14; Col. 2;9) and the creator of all things (Col. 1:15-17).

Mormonism teach a different Jesus then then one we know through his disciples.

Mormonism
Mormonism distinguishes between the Holy Spirit (God's presence via an essence) and the Holy Ghost (the third god in the Mormon doctrine of the trinity).
"He [the Holy Ghost] is a being endowed with the attributes and powers of Deity, and not a mere force, or essence," (Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, p. 144).

The Holy Spirit is the third person of the Trinity. He is not a force. He is a person. (Acts 5:3-4; 13:2)

Mormonism
Salvation has a double meaning in Mormonism: universal resurrection and . . .
"The first effect [of the atonement] is to secure to all mankind alike, exemption from the penalty of the fall, thus providing a plan of General Salvation. The second effect is to open a way for Individual Salvation whereby mankind may secure remission of personal sins," (Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, p. 78-79).

Salvation is the forgiveness of sin and deliverance of the sinner from damnation. It is a free gift received by God's grace (Eph. 2:8; Rom. 6:23) and cannot be earned (Rom. 11:6).

Mormonism
As these sins are the result of individual acts it is just that forgiveness for them should be conditioned on individual compliance with prescribed requirements -- 'obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel,'" (Articles of Faith, p. 79).

Salvation (forgiveness of sins) is not by works (Eph. 2:8; Rom. 4:5; Gal. 2:21).

Mormonism
"We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly. . ." [8th Article of Faith of the Mormon Church].

The inspired inerrant word of God (2 Tim. 3:16). It is authoritative in all subjects it addresses.

This is only a sample of many of the differences between Christianity and Mormonism. As you can see, they are quite different doctrines. God cannot be uncreated and created at the same time. There cannot be only one God and many gods at the same time. The Trinity cannot be one God in three persons and three gods in an office known as the Trinity, etc. These teachings are mutually exclusive.

This is important because faith is only as good as the object in which it is placed. Is the Mormon god the real one? Or, is the God of historic and biblical Christianity the real one?  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:18 am
When I have alittle more time I would be happy to reply to your post. But let me point out that the Journal of Discourses is not doctrine and should not be used when you are trying to dispute Church beliefs. Also wikipedia is not a good source to use either.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:36 am
Please note that most of my sources will come from the four standard works of the Church (Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price), a book called Answering Challenging Mormon Questions by Michael Hickenbotham, the Bible Dictionary,various notes I have taken personally about Church histroy over the years, and a reference guide for the scriptures. I will make note if I use another source.

Garland-Green
The Mormon movement began with "the prophet" Joseph Smith, Jr. in the year 1820. Joe (as he was known) was born to some rather strange parents in 1805. His mother, Lucy, was involved in occult practices and visions, while his father, Joseph, Sr., consumed much time with imaginary treasure digging (including the booty of Captain Kidd).

Jospeh Smith was a true prophet, still is today.

Lucy Smith was not involved in the occult. She was presbyterian. If I remember correctly, Joseph Smith Sr. was indifferent or undecided about religion.

Oh and his name was Joseph Smith.He preferred to go by Joseph. It's disrespectful to call some one by another name even if you do disagree with their beliefs.

As to the money digging, yes, Joseph Sr. and Jr. did do money digging, but it was because of their financial situation. They did it in an attempt to keep their farm, which they lost because they were unable to make the annual payment of $100.

Digging all day is hard work. To me it shows character when one is wiling to take up hard labor to support their family.

Quote:
According to Mormon writings (Pearl of Great Price, Joseph Smith - History 1:1-25), on a day in 1820, Joe was praying in the woods when he received a vision from God the Father and Jesus. It was revealed to Joe that the church was in apostasy and he was the chosen one to launch a new dispensation.
No, it was never stated the Church was in apostasy. Joseph was simply told to join no church because they drew near to Him (Heavenly Father) with their lips, but their hearts were far from Him (Heavenly Father).

Quote:
Being unwilling to drop his current occupation of money-digging with his father (while using "peep stones" and "divining rods"),

Again they only had to hire on with silver mines and such because they were in danger of losing their home and going hungry. Why is hard work frowned upon?
Records show that Josesph Jr and Sr. originally rejected the idea of hiring on with Josiah Stoal, a silver miner, but their financial situation made them accept the offer of $14 per month, room and board. This was done two months before the family would loose their Manchester Farmhouse.

Gilbert W. Scharffs points out in the the book "The Truth about the God Makers": "Joseph Smith was undoubtedly invovled in "money digging" as he has always admitted and perhaps some "form" of magic which at the time he and his associates did not sense as any way inappropriate...The Lord took Joseph Smith, a man innocently caught up in the superstition of his day and turned him in the right direction."

Quote:
Joe put his "calling" on hold for three years. Then, according to his own account (Pearl of Great Price, Joseph Smith - History 1:29-54), he was paid a bedside visit by the angel Moroni in 1823.
What calling? He didn't have a calling....

Quote:
Moroni, who professed to be the glorified son of a man named Mormon (who had been dead 1400 years),

Moroni only stated he was an angel.

Quote:
told Joe about a book of golden plates which contained "the fulness of the everlasting Gospel." This book was said to have been buried at Cumorah Hill, near Palmyra, New York, some 1400 years earlier by the man named Mormon. Four years later (1827)

Yes the Book of Mormon does contain the fulness of the Gospel. It was written to help bring us to Christ. It tesifies that Jesus is the Christ!

Quote:
, Joe supposedly dug up the golden plates along with a gigantic pair of spectacles which he called "the Urim and Thummim

He did dig up the brass plates containing the record of the Book of Mormon. And the Urim and Thummim were not a giant pair of spectatcles..... They were stones. Some thing similiar is described in the Old Testament I believe. Aaron, Moses' brother used a set too.

Quote:
The spectacles were for translating the hieroglyphics on the plates
Again they were not spectacles.

Quote:
With the help of his only legal wife and a friend named Oliver Cowdery, Joe translated the plates and published the Book of Mormon in 1830. Later that same year, Joe, his wife, his brothers (Hyrum and Samuel), and Cowdery established the "Church of Jesus Christ," which is known today as the "Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints."

Only legal wife? What?

Quote:
The Book of Mormon contains many plagiarisms of the King James English (at least 25,000 words).

How can one plagarise the Bible? There is no copywrite and it is not written by any one author.... The Book of Mormon uses quotes of scripture from the prophets in the Bible. What's so wrong with that? Isn't the Bible full of prophets quoting other prophets? I guess by your defnition that's plagarism too.

Quote:
This is strange since the plates were supposed to have been in the ground many centuries before the King James Bible was completed in 1611!
The account in the first five books of Moses, were written by Moses long after the events of Genesis occured.

Quote:
The Book of Mormon also contains many errors such as claims of elephants in the Western Hemisphere and advanced metal producing capabilities in America before 400 A.D. (See Walter Martin's Kingdom of the Cults for a fine study in the errors of the Mormon Bible)

There is no such thing as a perfect translation! The english word elephant might have been the closest word to whatever Hebrew word that was written on the plates.

Quote:
The Mormons, under Smith's command, turned out to be a rough bunch. Joe was a polygamist with at least twenty- seven wives (some say over 60 wives).

Here we criticize Joseph for polygamy, but yet we don't complain that Abraham, Issac, Jacob, David and Solomon (just to name a few) were polygamists as well and all of them had hundreds of children... and yet God declared them righteous in His eyes...
Quote:
The whole gang left New York for Ohio, and then moved to Missouri
Gang?

Quote:
The Missouri governor ran them out of the state, so they settled in Nauvoo, Illinois,

Which he had no right to do. The LDS Church is the only church in the history of the United States, (a country which promises freedom of religion, the right practice said religion any where one chooses, by the way), that had an extermination order set against us. That extermination order was not lifted until the mid 1900s.

Quote:
and built the state's largest city. In 1844, Joe and Hyrum were thrown in jail. Then an angry mob stormed the jail and murdered them both. Naturally, this "martyrdom" insured the perpetual reverence of the great "prophet" Joseph Smith.

Those men were martyred because they refused to deny their belief in the truth that God revealed to them. Just like Paul, Peter, and all the other apostles and believers in God who were martyred because they refused to deny their testimonies.

Why mock Joseph's and Hyrum's death? How disrespectful.

Quote:
The "church" then split. The Smith family headed for Independence, Missouri and started what is now the "Recognized Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints." However, the majority of Smith's followers chose Brigham Young as their new captain.

Acutally it was a pretty even split.

Quote:
To escape U.S. laws, Young led the Mormons from Nauvoo to Salt Lake City in 1847 (which then belonged to Mexico)

It had nothing to do with escaping US laws..... It had to do with finding a place to worship God according to the dictates of their conscience in peace. Away from the angry mobs and Governor Boggs and his extermination order.

Quote:
For the next thirty years, Young and his "saints" laid the foundation stones of the Mormon cult.

Cult? That is a blanket term. By definition, cult is basically an organized religion. So any church could be called a cult.

Quote:
Little known to most Mormons, Young was a rather rough and ruthless character.

Actually it is widely known that Brigham Young was a prude and stounch individual.

Quote:
In 1857, he commanded Bishop John D. Lee to murder a wagon train of over one hundred helpless non-Mormon immigrants. Twenty years later Lee was convicted and executed by the U.S. Government. Young escaped punishment, and his role in the Mountain Meadows Massacre has escaped the Mormon history books.

For years the Saints had persecuted, driven from their homes, etc. They were finally established. There were telegrams coming from the east stating that the US army was on its way to Utah to kill off the rest of the saints. This coupled with the fact that Brigham had nothing to do with the Mountain Meadows Massacre is the reason why it happened. One individual, John D. Lee, following by his fear and anger rather than precept of God.

[
Quote:
Young spent most of his "ministry" dodging the law to continue the immoral practice of polygamy. At the time of his death in 1877, Young had seventeen wives and fifty-six children.
Tell me where he dodged the law? What law was there in Utah territory that belonged to the US government?

And immoral practice of polygamy.... Wasn't Abraham declared righteous in the eyes of God and he was a polygamist too?

Quote:
Today the Mormon church is administrated by its "General Authorities." These authorities consist of the "First Presidency," the "Counsel of Twelve Apostles," the "First Quorum of the Seventy" and its presidency, the "Presiding Bishoprick," and the "Patriarch of the Church."

So? What's so wrong with the order and structure of the Church?

Quote:
Male Mormons over twelve years of age are divided into priesthoods. The Aaronic order is the lesser priesthood, and the Melchizedek order is the higher.
Yeah, and your point?

Quote:
The church is divided into thousands of "wards" and "stakes," with over 2000 branches and 180 missions, and over 5,000,000 members.

Again just organization....nothing wrong with it.

Quote:
Mormons are very missionary-minded people, with over 26,000 active missionaries. However, much of this missionary army consists of young men and women in their early twenties who must serve two years in missionary work while supporting themselves.
What's wrong with being missionary minded? Didn't Jesus command us to go forth and spread the gospel?

And why is so wrong that most of the missionaries are in their twenties and have to use their own money to do these missions?

Quote:
The Mormon people of today are highly respected in our society, but there is nothing respectable about their doctrines. Some are as follows:

The Deity of Man Promoted

Mormons teach that man can become God, and that God was once a man:

"God himself, the Father of us all, is a glorified, exalted immortal resurrected man!" (Bruce McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, pp. 322-23, 517, 643)
"...God himself was once as we are now and is an exalted man and sits enthroned in yonder heavens..." (Journal of Discourses, V6, P3, 1844)
"As man is, God once was: as God is, man may become." (Lorenzo Snow, quoted in Milton R. Hunter, the Gospel Through the Ages, pp. 105-106)

This is plain and simple heresy. Nowhere does the Bible say or imply that God was ever a man, or that man can become God! Malachi 3:6 says, "For I am the LORD, I change not..." How could this be true if God was once a man? Genesis 1:1 states that God existed "in the beginning" before man was ever created. John 4:24 states that God is a "spirit," and Jesus tells us in John 1:18 that no man has seen God at any time. Numbers 23:19 says that "God is not a man that he should lie; neither the son of man that he should repent." God has always been God, and no one has ever "become" God.

Journal of Discourses is not doctrine!

And we don't know the full history of God. No body does. These men were simply speculating about God and His history and beginnings. Some of the verses that might have led those men to speculate about God being a man are Mark 1:1; Mark 3:11; Mark 2:10, 28; John 3:13; John 5:19-20

Quote:
Deity of Jesus Christ Denied

The Deity of Jesus Christ is a fundamental doctrine of Christianity, yet the Mormons deny this truth. Exalting man to "god status" is apparently alright, but Jesus Christ is not acknowledged as the eternal Son of God in the Mormon church. The Mormon Jesus was a preexisting spirit who was exalted, just as Mormon followers hope to be exalted someday.

Jesus is acknowleged as the eternal Son of God.
Joseph Fielding Smith has saidl; "Our Saviour was God before He was born into this world, and He brought with Him that same status when He came here. He was as much a God when He was born into the world as He was before." (Doctrines of Salvation).

Jesus did not attain his Godhood whilst on earth, but gained it as a spirit. (John 1:1-3)

The Church makes no claims to know when Christ became God but we know it was before the "foundation of the earth". (Hebrews 1:8-10; Colossians 1:15-16; 1 Peter 1:19-20; Revelations 13: cool

Quote:
God is a Trinity (I Jn. 5:7), and the second Member of that Trinity is the Lord Jesus Christ. John 1:1 says that "the Word was God," and John 1:14 tells us that "the Word was made flesh." Jesus Christ is the Word incarnate, and John 1:1 tells us that the Word was God; so Jesus Christ is God.

Jesus allowed Thomas to address Him as "My Lord and my God" in John 20:28. In Isaiah 9:6, He is called "The mighty God" and "The everlasting Father," and we read in Micah 5:2 that Jesus is "from everlasting."

Our Lord allowed people to worship him in John 10:38 and in Matthew 14:33, and since He is "God with us" (Mat. 1:23) He also has power to forgive sins (Mk. 2:5). Jesus Christ is clearly Deity, yet this doctrine is denied by the Mormons.

Ah, the doctrine of the trinity. The most confusing doctrine of the protestant church and a big reason why I left the church to begin with...

Quote:
Today some people assert that a belief in a mysterious unknowable trinitarian god is essential to a claim of Christianity, even though this requirement is not biblical. At times they use Colossians 2:9 as a proof-text to support their trinitarian concept: "in him [Christ] dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead bodily." Though this scripture could appear to vindicate belief in a trinity, the Greek text does not justify this interpretation. The Greek word translated as Godhead in this verse is "theotes." This word actually means "divinity" and is translated as such in many modern Bible translations. Accuratlely translated, this verse should read "in Chirst the fulness of divinity dwells in bodily form" (see New International Version). Thus, the qualities of Godhood are manifest to us in Christ, but Christ is not God the Father. It is important to note that the word "trinity" does not appear any where in the Kind James bible nor any other reputable translation of the bible. The present trinitarian concept cannot be derived from an impartial reading of the bible. Justification of this doctrine using citations of biblical verses is weak and inconclusive at best. The term Godhead, on the other hand, is an accepted biblical term(Acts 17:29, Romans 1:20, Colossians 2:9) and the preferred title in the LDS Church....but such usage denotes a three-person Godhead and not a one-being concept...The latter concept of the trinity, now held by much of "mainstream Christianity" seems to have originated under the influence of Greek and other oriental philosophies during the period of apostasy following the death of the apostles.

This text was taken from the book entitled "Answering Challenging Mormon Questions" By Micheal W. Hickenbotham. Pages 74-75
And another example

Quote:
The scriptures are replete with examples of the separate nature and substance of the Father and the Son. Consider the following:
1. God spoke form heaven while Christ was on the earth-Matt. 3:17; 17:5; Mark 1:11; Luke 3:22; John 12:28-30
2. God is a separate witness of Christ-John 5:36-37; 8:17-18
3. Christ was with God in the beginning-John 1:1-3, 10, 14; 6:38; 16:28: 17:3, 5, 24; 20:21; Ephesians 3:9; 1 John 4:14
4. Christ is God's Son-Mark 9:7; John 3:16; 9:35-37; 17:1; 20:17, 21, 31; Ephesians 3:14; Hebrews 1:6; 5:5
5. Christ prayed to His Father-Matt. 6:6-9; 26:39; 27:46; Luke 3:34; John 12:27-28; 16:26; 17:5-11
6. Christ is at the right hand of God-Mark 16:19; Luke 22:69; 1 Peter 3:22; Rev. 3:21
7. The Father committed all judgement unto the Son-John 5:17-20, 22-23, 27; Romans 2:16; 2 Timothy 4:1
8. God annointed Jesus Christ-Acts 10:38; Hebrews 1:9
9. God honored, blessed, and glorified Christ- Matt. 12:18; John 5:26; 12:23; 17:1, 5, 24; Acts 3:13; 5:30-31; Philippians 2:9; 2 Peter 1:17-18
10. Jesus was raised up by God-Acts 5:30-31; 1 Peter 1:21
11. God and Jesus are plural(we, our, us)- Genesis 1:26; Isaiah 6:8; John 14:23; 17:11, 21-22
12. God sent Christ to atone for us-Mark 9:37; John 3:16; 5:24; 6:38; 7:28-29; 8:42; 12:44-45; 17:3-4, 6-10, 18, 25; 20:21; 1 John 4:14
13. Christ commanded us to pray to God in His name- Matthew 6:6, 9; Luke 11:2; Colossians 3:17; Hebrews 7:25-26
14. Christ spoke to His Father in Heaven- Matt. 6:9; 10:33; 16:17; Luke 11:2; John 14:12; 20:17
15. Only God knew the exact time of the end; Christ did not then know-Matt. 24:36; Mark 13:32
16. God the Father is Christ's God- Mark 15:34; John 20:17; Ephesians 1:17; 1 Peter 1:3
17. Christ's will and doctrine were separate from God's-Matt. 26:39-42; Luke 22:41-42; John 5:30; 7:16-17; 14:10
18. Christ did His Father's work, not His own-Luke 2:49-50; John 17:3-4
19. Christ came in His Father's name- John 5:43
20. Christ came from and returned to God-John 14:12; 16:27-28, 30; 1 Peter 3:21-22
21. The Father was greater than the Son- John 10:29; 14:28; 1 Cor. 15:28
22. We come to the Father only by the Son-John 14:6
23. Christ will deliver up the kingdom to God the Father- 1 Cor. 15:24
24. Christ is mediator between God and man- 1 Timothy 2:5

This text also came from the book "Answering Challenging Mormon Questions" By Michael W. Hickenbotham P. 81-82

Quote:
Multiple Authorities

The Bible declares, "To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them." (Isa. 8:20) However, the Mormon Church claims that other writings, such as the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith's writings are also authoritative. In fact, Joseph Smith taught his people to doubt the accuracy of the Bible: "...it was apparent that many important points touching the salvation of men, had been taken from the Bible, or lost before it was compiled." (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 10)

Doesn't the Bible teach that in the mouth of two or three witness God's word will be confirmed or some thing like that? The Book of Mormon is the second witness. And don't other churches like to use CS Lewis' works and other writings besides the Bible to support their beliefs too?

Quote:
Mormon Writings Support Polygamy

"...if any man espouse a virgin, and desire to espouse another, and the first give her consent, and if he espouse the second, and they are virgins, and have vowed to no other man, then he is justified; he cannot commit adultery...And if he have ten virgins given unto him by this law, he cannot commit adultery." (Doctrines and Covenants, 132:61, 62)

Jesus Christ held a slightly different view (Mark 10:6- 9). There is no way a man can be "one flesh" with more than one woman. A man and his wife are supposed to picture Christ and his church (Eph. 5:23-32), but this symbolism is shattered by the Mormon heresy of Polygamy.

But what about all the polygamists in the Bible that were declared righteous??? No one seems to want to point fingers at them.

And just so you know the church no longer practices polygamy. It was renounced in the manifesto, located in the Doctrine and Covenants.

Quote:
True Church Theory

The Mormon book, The Pearl of Great Price, claims that all other Christian groups are "corrupt" and are an "abomination" in God's sight (Joseph Smith, 2:19). Such claims as this are based on the unscriptural assumption that the Lord Jesus Christ has a specific religious organization on the earth today, complete with a name, a membership, and a leadership, which makes up His "true church." This doctrine is found nowhere in God's word. Everyone who has received Christ as their Saviour is a member of His church, which is a spiritual body of born-again believers (Eph. 4:4; 5:23-32; Col. 1:18-24; Heb. 12:23; Rev. 19:7; 5:9-10; 21:9).

No it doesn't. I'd like to see citings of those verses please.

Quote:
Other False Teachings

The Mormons deny the Trinity and the existence of a literal burning Hell, yet they promote polytheism (many gods), baptism for the dead, and the notion that Jesus and Satan were originally spirit brothers! Friend, make no mistake about it--Mormonism is a dangerous cult. In the eyes of man, the Mormons seem very respectable, but the light of God's word reveals the true wolves behind the sheep clothing. Jesus said, "Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves." (Mat. 7:15) Don't look at their nice families, their clean-cut hair, and their friendly "missionaries." LOOK AT THEIR DOCTRINES! (I Tim. 4:1)

There is no way to cover all of the Mormon heresies in a tract this size. For further reading, we recommend our publication, The Bible Believer's Handbook of Heresies, which sheds light on many of the heresies being taught today in the name of our Saviour Jesus Christ.

Already covered the trinity...

I just don't agree about it being a place of burning. Weeping and gnashing of teeth, yes, but fire no. That's just my interpretation. I agree with not being to live forever with out Christ, but His death and resurrection covered every one, even the unrepentant. So by His death and resurrection, even those who are cast into hell will still exist forever. The only thing they will not have is eternal life, which is being able to dwell forever with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.

In Hebrew, I know that hell is known as sheol meaning place of spirits, but I don't think it's described as a place of burning.

And then some where in the NT it talks about a place called Gehenna which is translated as hell from the Greek manuscripts. It's described as a place of everlasting burning, but really what Ghenna is a garbage dump just outside of Jerusalem. It's a place where the followers of Baal sacrificed their children to the fire god Molech. (2 Chronicles 28:3; 33:6; Jeremiah 7:31; 19:2-6). Dead bodies of animals, criminals and rubbish were thrown, and as legend has it, consumed by a constant fire. So it became the place of everlasting destruction in Jewish tradition.
Quote:
Salvation through Works

Mormons believe that one's salvation is based on such good works as baptism, good deeds, missionary work, and following Mormon teachings. In The Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, justification by faith in Jesus Christ is called a "pernicious doctrine" twice and he states that it has been "an influence for evil." (pp. 107, 480) Bruce McConkie once stated at Brigham Young University that a personal relationship with Jesus Christ is "improper and perilous" (Church News, March 20, 1982, p. 5)

Ephesians 2:8-9 says, "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast." Romans 4:5 says that salvation comes to those who do not work for salvation, but believe on Jesus Christ instead!

Jesus Christ came into this world to lay down His sinless life for YOU--to pay for your sins because you couldn't. Jesus is your only hope for salvation. Only by receiving Him as your Saviour can you enter the gates of Heaven. There is no other way. "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me." (John 14:6) "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved." (Acts 4:12)

The Lord Jesus Christ has come and PAID for your sins by shedding His own Blood on Calvary. By receiving Him as your Saviour, you can be WASHED from all your sins in His precious Blood (Rev. 1:5; Col. 1:14; Acts 20:28; I Pet. 1:18-19). Notice these important words from Romans 5:8-9: "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him."

Jesus PAID your way to Heaven! Your church cannot save you! Only by receiving Jesus Christ as your Saviour can you escape the damnation of Hell. Are you willing to forsake YOUR righteousness and receive Jesus Christ as your Saviour, your ONLY HOPE for Salvation? Romans 10:13 says, "Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." Romans 10:9 says, "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved." Why not pray right now and ask the Lord to come into your heart and cleanse you from all sin? He will save you just as He promised.

I acknowledge my need for a Saviour. But you cannot have faith without works. Reference James ch. 2. We do not believe our works save us or get us into Heaven. But they are a necessary part of Salvation. An example of a work is accepting Christ as Saviour, baptism is another, praying, etc. Those are works! The Bible teaches that by their fruits ye shall know them...

I've seen all the stuff in the links before. I grew up protestant in a very antimormon family. I've ready all the anti mormon stuff before, but decided to form my own opinion by asking the Lord for His opinion. So I'm not going to dispute any thing in those links unless some thing is pointed out to me specfically from them.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:58 am
Shadows-shine
Jospeh Smith was a true prophet, still is today.

I will address these in separate posts starting with new revelations, and why Joseph Smith is not a prophet:

First, what is revelation? Revelation, according to the Bible, is God communicating Himself and His plan to man. There are two types of revelation: Special and General. General revelation applies to the knowledge of God that comes from looking at nature and the universe. We can see God's handiwork in the universe and thus know that it was created by design. Where there is design there must be a Designer and thus we see that "The heavens declare the glory of God," (Psa. 19:1) The order and design of the universe prove they were created by someone with the power to do so.
Romans 1:18-25, states that all men can see God's handiwork and further that God reveals Himself through nature and therefore all men are with without excuse as to the knowledge of this existence of God the Creator.

"For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things. Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen" (Rom. 1:18-25).

Special revelation is God speaking directly to man, and that revelation being written under the "inspiration" of God, the Holy Spirit. (2 Tim. 3:16, 2 Pet. 1:21) Special revelation is God's specific information and instructions to man. The sixty six books that comprise our Bible is special revelation from God. It tells us about God, His working with man throughout history, his past and future plans and, most of all, His plan of redemption which He has unfolded through the centuries in the coming of the Redeemer Jesus Christ. From the Bible we learn how the earth and universe came into being, who were the first man and woman, how sin came into the world, of Satan's destructive work, of what is sin, of God's plan for the Savior, of the history and purpose of God's chosen people, the nation of Israel, of Christ's coming, His life and atoning death, of the being of the institution of the local church, of its history and purpose and of the future events ending in a new heavens and earth.

The question is did God stop giving special revelation and if so when? Biblical Christians believe that God completed the progress of revelation with the writing of the Book of Revelation. They conclude that in the sixty six Books of the Bible, God has said everything to man He desired to say and God's revelation to man was completed by 95 A.D. when the Apostle John finished the Book of Revelation.

Further the Biblical Christian believes that although God is not speaking or giving new revelation today He is illuminating His written and preserved Word for believers. Illuminating means that God is giving understanding of the principles of the Bible and these principles are totally sufficient to guide men in all matters of life and in any decisions that believers need to make. Thus there is no need of further revelation because the Bible as 2 Tim. 3:16 says, is "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works." In other words the Bible is complete and adequate and reveals to us all God wants us to know.

It is vital to understand that because we have the written revelation of God, the Bible, we do not need current revelation. The revelation God has given is totally adequate to instruct us in the things of God today. Not having God giving modern revelation in no way means we are lacking anything from God. The Bible as will be seen is absolute and complete and covers any subject or circumstance a man might encounter addressing matters directly or through guiding principles.

The Canonization of the Bible Speaks Against God Giving New Revelation.

One of the strongest evidences against God giving new revelation today is that the Bible was canonized by the early churches. The completeness of the Scriptures was recognized by the early Christians in the sixty six Books of the Old and New Testament. All other "supposed" scripture has been universally rejected as being the Word God.

The word "canon" is a derivative of the Greek word, "kanon" and the Hebrew word, "kaneh" and refers to a "reed" or measuring rod or ruler. It is used in Christianity to mean a measuring the authenticity of Word of God, the Bible. The process of determining the "canon" of Scripture was the process of ascertaining which books that men purported to be God's revelation that were indeed God's revelation.

Many books that are not found in the canon of Scripture (the 66 Books of the Old and New Testament) were alleged to have come from God. Of such books were the Apocryphal and pseudepigraphal books and the so-called "lost books." The process of canonization was the procedure by which the churches discovered by examination which books were indeed given by inspiration of God and which were counterfeit. It must be understood that it was not the churches or church councils that by decree declared which books it thought were authentic, but Christians discovered what books God had given by inspiration through the process of careful and scholarly examining of the text of each of these works. For example, books which contained inaccurate historical or cultural statements were rejected as being inspired because if God inspired the writing there would be no such errors. Additionally, doctrinal errors or contradictory statements found in the books precluded its being accepted as inspired of God. The books such as the Apocryphal books were found to have not be written by the authors that bore the books names. These books contained gross doctrinal errors, contradictions, inaccurate historical and culture material and were all written long after the period in which they claimed they were authored and thus were summary rejected as being the Word of God.

There are several standards that a book must have to be concerned as inspired of God and thus included in the canon. These standards are based on the very nature of God Himself in that He could not lie and thus anything written under the inspiration of God would not be contradictory or errors. The rules used to examine a supposed book of the Bible was as follows:

1. The Book must be written by a prophet or one of the Apostles of Jesus Christ. No books written after the last Apostles died are included in the canon. The criteria for determining a true prophet is found in Deut. 18:20-22, and 13:1-3.
(1) He must claim to speak what God has revealed to him.
(2) The true Old Testament prophet of God must predict the future and it come to past exactly as prophesied.
(3) His message must be in accord or harmony with the reveled word and will of God. If the message contradicts other Scripture, even if accompanied with miracles, he is to be rejected.
(4) His message must be true and he must lead people toward God, not away from Him.
In regard to the New Testament, a writer of Scripture must be an Apostle, being a disciple of the Lord Jesus Christ, or one who worked closely with Jesus or an Apostle such as James, Mark and Luke.
2. It must be authoritative, meaning must claim to be revelation from God such as "thus saith the Lord." The book must show evidence of being inspired by the Holy Spirit.

3. It must be authentic, meaning written by the person who claimed to the author.

4. It must be widely or universally recognized and accepted as the Word of God. The early Christians accepted certain books as Scripture without question. They had first hand knowledge of their authenticity, were often taught by the Apostles and attested to the genuineness of certain books.

5. It had life-transforming power. The Word of God when believed will without exception transform the life of the believer. That transformation will be super natural in nature and be directed toward living by the principles found in the God's Word.

6. The book must give evidence of inspiration. In simple terms is what it says in agreement with the other books of the Bible. In other words is the book written in the analogy of the faith. If within the book where are found contradictions or inconsistencies with other parts of God's Word then it was rejected because God is the God of order and truth and cannot contradict Himself. The book must be accurate.

Most Bible scholars believe that the canon of the New Testament was complete by 100 A.D. That means that those who had first hand knowledge and were eye witnesses were those who recognized the canon of the twenty seven books of the New Testament. It was 200 years later that the twenty seven books of the New Testament were recognized by all as the canon. The main reason was that during that time new books written after 100 A.D appeared and were being offered as Scripture, but in the end the early recognition of the twenty seven books was confirmed and the spurious books were rejected.

Can modern "scriptures" compare with the Bible? The Koran, the Book of Mormon, and a host of other so called "scriptures" have been presented as being later revelation from God. However, when these books are subjected to the even the simplest of tests they are found to be instead the product of man's imaginations, philosophy and false wisdom. None of the other false scriptures even come close to presenting God as does God Himself in His inspired Word. It is the text of each of these false "scriptures" that show them to be erroneous and this was the basis by with they were rejected.

Joseph Smith, the founder and author of the Mormon scriptures (Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price), presents God as being an exalted man, who lived on some planet out in the universe, who earned the right to godhood by being faithful and doing good works. This is completely counter to everything that the Bible says about the person, nature and character of God. Further, there are irreconcilable contradictions between Mormon scriptures, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price which clearly establishes its human authorship. God does not contradict Himself as the LDS Standard Works do. For example the Book of Mormon states that God created the heavens and the earth, yet they teach that he was born a man on some planet out in the universe that already existed and that he has a mother and father who had a mother and father and so on back in time. Yet, how then could their god be the creator of the universe in which he was born into and only after a human life was exalted to becoming a god? The contradiction in their Scriptures shows its blatant error which give proof of its human authorship. The LDS Scriptures do not compare to the Bible on any level and are proven to be historically, culturally and doctrinally to be in gross error with known history, archaeology, and science, therefore it is shown not be from God. In contrast the Bible is proven to be historically, culturally and doctrinally accurate in its statements proving it to be the Word of God.

None of the "later" so-called scriptures can meet even one of the standards on which the canon of the Bible was established. This is an extremely powerful argument that God is not giving new revelation today.

The Statements Against Adding or Taking Away from the Bible Speaks Against God Giving New Revelation.

Another strong reason for rejecting that modern day revelation is from God is taken from His very Word, the Bible.
Note the following Bible passages that warn about adding or taking away from the Scriptures:

Deut. 4:2, "Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you."
Deut. 12:32, "What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it."

Prov. 30:6, " Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar."

Rev. 22:18-19, "For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and [from] the things which are written in this book."

When the canon of Scripture from God was complete God had said all He needed to say to man. This was true throughout the process of revelation. When Moses finished the Pentateuch under the inspiration of God there was no need of further revelation at that time. They had the Law and God's instruction to live their lives by. As time went on God through the other prophets revealed more and more truth about Himself and His plan for the World.

This process of revelation continued until the whole of God's plan was completely revealed with the completion of the Book of Revelation. Some would try to limit the warning of not adding or taking away from the Scriptures to just that of the Book of Revelation. However, its place as the last Book of the Bible and its revealing of what was past, present and future makes this limitation implausible (Rev. 1:19). God not only revealed the truth of John's day in the Book of Revelation, but in 18 of its 22 Chapters reveals what the future will hold until the end of this age and to eternity future.

The Completeness of the Bible Speaks Against God Giving New Revelation.
Another evidence for the completion of God's revelation is that the Bible is totally sufficient for all man's needs today. There is no need of any further revelation from God.
2 Timothy 3:16-17 emphatically attest to the completeness and all sufficiency the scriptures. There is not one situation where man needs direction from God that cannot be found in the revealed principles of the Bible. "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works" (2 Timothy 3:16-17).

IV. The Source of Modern Revelation speaks against it being from God.
Another evidence against accepting modern day revelation is the source of such purported revelation. In every case the man, group or denomination that supports accepting new revelation is in gross doctrinal error or a cult. It is a fact that every cult such as the Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Church of Christ, Seventh Day Adventists, or false religion such as Islam are based on modern supposed revelation. No true Bible believing individuals or churches are offering any new revelation, but are diligently and faithfully preaching what God has revealed in His preserved Word which is the sixty six books of the Bible. One unmistakable and recognizable trait of a false preacher or church is its acceptance of modern day revelation. In every case the new revelation leads men away from God's truth and thus into doctrinal error and away from God.

Thus for these reasons all true Bible believing individuals and churches unequivocally reject that God is giving to men new revelation today.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:16 am
Shadows-shine
Lucy Smith was not involved in the occult. She was presbyterian.

Both of Joseph Smith's parents instilled occult beliefs in him. In an 1829 letter to his nephew "Hiram," Joseph Smith Sr.'s brother Jesse Smith condemned his brother's involvement in the occult and his using a divining rod

"Now I shall change my theme for the present [from a discussion of farming and building to an account of Joseph's vision of Moroni and the golden plates which immediately follows this paragraph]. But let not my reader suppose that, because I shall pursue another topic [Joseph's visions] for a season, that we stopped our labor [of farming and building] and went at trying to win the faculty of Abrac, drawing Magic circles or sooth saying to the neglect of all kinds of business [farming and building, as the anti-Mormons asserted, claiming the Smiths were lazy]. We never in our lives suffered one important interest [farming and building] to swallow up every other obligation [religion]. But, whilst we worked with our hands [at farming and building] we endeavored to remember the service of, and the welfare of our souls [through religion]."

The magic circles Joseph’s mother mentioned, in their use of the “faculty of Abrac” to find treasures seems to me like a fair indicator that she was into the occult despite of being a Presbyterian.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:20 am
Shadows-shine
Oh and his name was Joseph Smith.He preferred to go by Joseph. It's disrespectful to call some one by another name even if you do disagree with their beliefs.
How is it disrespectful? Joe is an abbreviation of Joseph. If someone called me Mar I would not be offended. I apologies though if it is disrespectful.

Edited Thursday Februar 18th 2016.
"Joe" has been edited out of the text as I have come to understand how it can be seen as offensive.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:33 am
Shadows-shine
As to the money digging, yes, Joseph Sr. and Jr. did do money digging, but it was because of their financial situation. They did it in an attempt to keep their farm, which they lost because they were unable to make the annual payment of $100.

How does that justify dabbling in the occult?

In the court account from Fraser's Magazine in 1873, we read:
"Prisoner brought before Court March 20,1826, Prisoner examined: says that he came from the town of Palmyra, and had been at the house of Josiah Stowel in Bainbridge most of time since; had small part of time been employed in looking for mines, but the major part had been employed by said Stowel on his farm, and going to school. That he had a certain stone which he had occasionally looked at to determine where hidden treasures in the bowels of the earth were; that he professed to tell in this manner where gold mines were a distance under ground, and had looked for Mr. Stowel several times, and had informed him where he could find these treasures, and Mr. Stowel had been engaged in digging for them. That at Palmyra he pretended to tell by looking at this stone where coined money was buried in Pennsylvania, and while at Palmyra had frequently ascertained in that way where lost property was of various kinds; that he had occasionally been in the habit of looking through this stone to find lost property for three years, but of late had pretty much given it up on account of its injuring his health, especially his eyes, making them sore; that he did not solicit business of this kind, and had always rather declined having anything to do with this business." (Fraser's Magazine, Feb. 1873, p. 229; see an identical court account in New Schaff-Herzog Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge, Vol. 2, p. 1576)

Joseph had more than one "seer stone" during his life. In approximately 1819 Joseph borrowed a seer stone from a friend to find a "whitish" seer stone in an iron kettle 25 feet underground. The seer stone with which most students are familiar is the dark stone Joseph Smith found in 1822 while digging a well for Willard Chase (Quinn 1987, 39-41). Speaking of this stone, Joseph Capron testified that Joseph could see wondrous sights in it, "ghosts, infernal spirits, mountains of gold and silver." Joseph, his father, and some of the other men in the area, occasionally sought for buried treasure with Joseph using his seer stone in an attempt to locate the treasure.

Matthew 7:16
By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:53 pm
Shadows-shine
No, it was never stated the Church was in apostasy. Joseph was simply told to join no church because they drew near to Him (Heavenly Father) with their lips, but their hearts were far from Him (Heavenly Father).

I stood alone, an unlearned youth, to combat the worldly wisdom and multiplied ignorance of eighteen centuries, with a new revelation, which . . . would open the eyes of more than eight hundred millions of people, and make "plain the old paths." History of the Church, 6:74.

[There is] "no salvation without accepting Joseph Smith. If Joseph Smith was verily a prophet, and if he told the truth...no man can reject that testimony without incurring the most dreadful consequences, for he cannot enter the kingdom of God" (Joseph Fielding Smith , Doctrines of Salvation, vol. 1, p.190).

"no man or woman in this dispensation will ever enter into the celestial kingdom of God without the consent of Joseph Smith...every man and woman must have the certificate of Joseph Smith, junior, as a passport to their entrance into the mansion where God and Christ are" (Brigham Young , Journal of Discourses, vol. 7, p.289).

Question to Joseph Smith- “Do you believe the Bible?” [Smith:]'If we do, we are the only people under heaven that does, for there are none of the religious sects of the day that do'. When asked 'Will everybody be damned, but Mormons'? [Smith replied] 'Yes, and a great portion of them, unless they repent, and work righteousness." (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 119).

"Both Catholics and Protestants are nothing less than the 'whore of Babylon' whom the Lord denounces by the mouth of John the Revelator as having corrupted all the earth by their fornications and wickedness. Any person who shall be so corrupt as to receive a holy ordinance of the Gospel from the ministers of any of these apostate churches will be sent down to hell with them, unless they repent" (Orson Pratt, The Seer, p. 255).

"they [other churches] were all wrong; and the Personage who addressed me said that their creeds were an abomination in his sight; that those professors were all corrupt" (Pearl of Great Price, Joseph Smith-History 1:19).  
Cults, heresies, Pseudepigrapha and other religions

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff