Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Cults, heresies, Pseudepigrapha and other religions
Heresy defined

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:23 am
Heresy as defined by Webster's College Dictionary:

heresy(n.)ˈhɛr ə si
a religious belief that is at variance with the orthodox or accepted doctrine of a church.
heresyˈhɛr ə si
the maintaining of such a belief or doctrine.
heresyˈhɛr ə si
the willful and persistent rejection of any belief that is part of church doctrine.
heresyˈhɛr ə si
any belief or theory that is at variance with established beliefs, customs, etc.
Etymology: (1175–1225; < OF eresie < L haeresis school of thought, sect < Gk haíresis lit., act of choosing, der. of haireîn to choose)
Princeton's WordNet

unorthodoxy, heterodoxy, heresy(noun)
any opinions or doctrines at variance with the official or orthodox position
heresy, unorthodoxy(noun)
a belief that rejects the orthodox tenets of a religion
Webster Dictionary

Heresy(noun)
an opinion held in opposition to the established or commonly received doctrine, and tending to promote a division or party, as in politics, literature, philosophy, etc.; -- usually, but not necessarily, said in reproach
Heresy(noun)
religious opinion opposed to the authorized doctrinal standards of any particular church, especially when tending to promote schism or separation; lack of orthodox or sound belief; rejection of, or erroneous belief in regard to, some fundamental religious doctrine or truth; heterodoxy
Heresy(noun)
an offense against Christianity, consisting in a denial of some essential doctrine, which denial is publicly avowed, and obstinately maintained  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:00 pm
Just thought I'd add a bit:

It may be good to note that there is a distinction between orthodoxy, error and heresy (both material and formal). And it's not just splitting hairs. It dramatically affected fellowship and unity within the body of Christ.

I like how my prof defined each:

Orthodoxy - Straight teaching. A belief or orientation agreeing with conventional standards of sound biblical doctrine.
Error - False teaching which does not threaten the very substance of Christianity.
Heresy - False teaching which does threaten the very substance of Christianity.
Material Heresy - a heresy which, when confronted with the truth of Scripture, is met with humility and immediate correction. (i.e. he didn't realize he was teaching falsely, and he repents of it)
Formal Heresy - a heresy which, when confronted with the truth of Scripture, is not accepting of the truth.

When a material heresy is confronted, there is a realization of the truth and an immediate change in belief.

For example: to say that "practicing homosexuals should lead churches" would be error, not heresy. To say that "Jesus was not God" is heresy, not error. And if you were preaching the latter (being ignorant of the Scriptures which say otherwise) and are confronted by the truth... if you repent and change your beliefs, then you were in a material heresy. But if you hold to the lie after being confronted with the truth, then it is clear that you are in a formal heresy.

And this is why it's not splitting hairs:
If someone is in:
Error: they are still your brother/sister in Christ. = Fellowship with them!
Material Heresy: they are still your brother/sister in Christ. = Rejoice and fellowship with the newfound unity!
Formal Heresy: if they do not accept truth, then they are false teachers. = Love them, but reject them and warn others of their false teachings. They are not a part of the Body of Christ (Rom. 16:17; Gal 1:6-9; 2 Tim. 2:17, 3:16-4:4; Titus 3:10,11).

The nature of the error/heresy dictates how we (as believers) are supposed to interact with the teachers of said errors/heresies.

I hope that helps. biggrin  

The Pollen Shed

Ratsah

Beloved Soldier

8,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:16 pm
The Pollen Shed

It may be good to note that there is a distinction between orthodoxy, error and heresy (both material and formal). And it's not just splitting hairs. It dramatically affected fellowship and unity within the body of Christ.

Orthodoxy - Straight teaching. A belief or orientation agreeing with conventional standards of sound biblical doctrine.
Error - False teaching which does not threaten the very substance of Christianity.
Material Heresy - a heresy which, when confronted with the truth of Scripture, is met with humility and immediate correction. (i.e. he didn't realize he was teaching falsely, and he repents of it)
Formal Heresy - a heresy which, when confronted with the truth of Scripture, is not accepting of the truth.

When a material heresy is confronted, there is a realization of the truth and an immediate change in belief.

For example: to say that "practicing homosexuals should lead churches" would be error, not heresy. To say that "Jesus was not God" is heresy, not error. And if you were preaching the latter (being ignorant of the Scriptures which say otherwise) and are confronted by the truth... if you repent and change your beliefs, then you were in a material heresy. But if you hold to the lie after being confronted with the truth, then it is clear that you are in a formal heresy.

If someone is in:
Material Heresy: they are still your brother/sister in Christ. = Rejoice and fellowship with the newfound unity!
Formal Heresy: if they do not accept truth, then they are false teachers. = Love them, but reject them and warn others of their false teachings. They are not a part of the Body of Christ (Rom. 16:17; Gal 1:6-9; 2 Tim. 2:17, 3:16-4:4; Titus 3:10,11).

The nature of the error/heresy dictates how we (as believers) are supposed to interact with the teachers of said errors/heresies.

Good lesson. smile  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:01 pm
The Pollen Shed

If someone is in:

That was a better explanation than the one I provided. smile
Thank you for sharing! If there Gaia had made available a tip button in the guilds I would tip this post.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Rednal

9,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:09 pm
Of course, after the counter-statement has been made, you have to judge and evaluate it as well... Christians have been working to determine the truth for many years, after all, and minds have been changed in the past.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:24 pm
Rednal
Of course, after the counter-statement has been made, you have to judge and evaluate it as well... Christians have been working to determine the truth for many years, after all, and minds have been changed in the past.

Of course, so true. And if the Holy Spirit is at work within you, and you seek God's truths with prayer, then He will be faithful to open your eyes. But it must be based firstly on Scripture. Our feelings can never supersede His Word. That's one of the big issues with Mormonism. They talk about a "burning in the bosom" as the way of knowing truth, but the Book of Mormon and the teachings of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints directly oppose the Bible in countless ways.

All that to say, "Yup, but God's word must always be our plumb line."  

The Pollen Shed

Servant Reborn

Devout Worshipper

12,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:58 pm
Thank you people for your contributions thus far and God for allowing this resources and others to come. It is a great blessing to have. Vaya con Dios. (Go with God).  
Cults, heresies, Pseudepigrapha and other religions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games