Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Friendly Debate
"Coexist"? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Angel of the End

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:41 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

What are your thoughts on how society, pop-culture and even under-ground cultures put so much stress on Christians giving up our beliefs?

Pagans, Homosexuals, Muslims and Atheists are all allowed open-season hatred on Christians; mocking and constantly spreading hate-speech us through television, comics, art, music and even public Education. Be it Elton John showing pictures of burning churches on the backdrop of his concerts or graffiti all around major cities showing (wrongly) upside-down crosses or people openly yelling, "JESUS CHRIST!" as a cuss word.

Society is under the delusion that "conservatives" are the majority, while in all actuality, we are the minority and we are constantly under attack from all sides.

They are allowed to believe that we are wrong and that we should have no right to have an opinion ANY DIFFERENT from theirs about salvation, homosexuality, abortion, ext! BUT, WE ARE NOT given the same right to disagree with them!

We are put across as homo-phobes, as being hateful, close-minded, stupid uneducated out-of-touch less-than-human cookie-cutter-copies of one another.

As a Christian, as an anglican, as an evangelical, as a goth, as a vegan, as a libertarian... As a Christian goth who has friends who are transexual, satanist, pagan, who still holds onto the values and beliefs held by the Bible, created by our Lord, this really, really offends me. Christians are killed every day in Africa and the Middle East for what they believe, you don't see Christians still running around killing Muslims or Pagans; the double-standard is like a slap in the face and a knife in the gut and it endlessly ticks me off and annoys me to no end!!!

Sorry for the rant, what are your thoughts on this?  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:58 am
Coexisting is basically what we're doing now: existing on the same planet, at the same time, all while holding opposing views of reality. Coexisting doesn't require tolerance of any kind. If tolerance is what they're aiming for, they delude themselves if they think it will lead to peace; peace cannot exist where there is tension or opposing views. The tension will always be there even if you choose not to act violently towards the opposition.

It is utterly foolish to ask religious people to show each other "tolerance" because in order to tolerate those beliefs, they're asking the person to (1) let a fellow man live a lie [which is hateful IMO] and (2) show little faith in their own sacred texts [scripture says Yeshua is the truth; some of the world claims he is a lie - it's incompatible, and do we leave the deceived person in their deception for the sake of tolerance? I wouldn't. However, after having provided the information and they refuse to believe, I wouldn't kill them either for believing the way they do, I'd just avoid fellowshipping with them (which perhaps is what this "Coexist" campaign wants, but once again it's just "tolerance" not true peace)].

Also interesting to note, it's not just Islam that calls for the destruction of the enemy/unbelievers; Judaism and Christianity do too. However, our sacred texts tell us it is a role reserved for our Messiah, not us. Yeshua gave us the mission to reconcile people to the Father by asking them to repent from their sinful lives and be born again; he didn't give us the task to kill them off/stone them to death if they didn't agree. Nonetheless, destruction is what awaits them ultimately: anyone who does not want to be a new creature in his new creation will be "deleted" with the old creation. Be in Christ, not in Adam; repent of your fallen nature. Anyone who doesn't is doomed for destruction.

It's safe to say that whoever is promoting this "Coexist" campaign doesn't believe in an absolute truth.

I don't get angry that the world wants us to compromise because the scriptures warn us of this: very few will accept him and many will oppose him (and anyone who chooses to follow him). On top of that, they're being deceived by the god of this age (Satan), who deceives through cunning logic like he did to Eve.

Quote:
2 Corinthians 4:4

The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

Quote:
John 15:18

"If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first.

Quote:
Matthew 7:14

But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:21 pm
I disagree with the idea of "Co-exist". Sure, we all live in one planet and a lot of us have different religions, but the idea of co-exist to me sounds like we are supposed to support and tolerate unbiblical doctrine instead of trying to help lead people to Christ. To me, the co-exist movement sounds like a, "Let's all get along and not talk about our religious beliefs because it's disrespectful." As Christians, we are called to spread the good news. At least that is how I see it.

Is co-exist really meant to be anyway? If it was...would Moses have stood up to Pharaoh? They both had opposing views even though they had been around each other many times before. Was it okay that Moses did what God told him to do in the long run? Absolutely! If they went by this Co-exist movement then it might've been, "Pharaoh is running his own business and it's disrespectful to talk against him like his plans mean nothing. We should respect Pharaoh as another average human being." God wanted Moses to free his people, no matter what it took.

In The Bible, we are told that not everything in life will be pleasant. As Christians, we will be persecuted in one way or another whether it's being made fun of, being treated unfairly, or ending up as a martyr. Even with this movement - no true peace will be reached because it's more of a "feel good" movement than a "pray for others" movement.

What Christians do is not "rebellion" if it is listening to God's word. A Christian could "rebel" against society because society has different ideals than God does, but if that Christian was doing what was truly right by God's word then what that person does is okay. This movement almost seems like a "hush religious activity" type movement because you sometimes need to ignore your own ideals to get along with each other. Christians shouldn't put their beliefs in their back pockets, but on their heart, mind, and soul!

In The Holy Bible, we can be kind to our enemies, pray for them, etc. and we still need to do what's right according to God's word and others won't always delight in that. The Bible makes it clear that the truth won't always feel good, but it's the truth that sets us free. I noticed in this world a lot of people don't like hearing the truth, and with co-exist it's a "be careful not to offend", and I am concerned by doing this that some believers in Christ will be too careful not to offend somebody and this will hinder them from spreading the gospel if they choose to follow this movement.

With the Co-exist moment, I don't feel like anything is truly being solved. It's a feel good movement that puts a bandage over a wound, but it doesn't look for a true solution to heal. Co-exist doesn't offer us a greater solution for complex problems. Jesus Christ offers solutions, healing, salvation, and much more through prayer than Co-exist could do for anyone. I don't believe that true peace can come from anywhere else other than God and Jesus Christ.

Also, an important thing, God mentions His armor to defeat spiritual enemies in Ephesians 6:10 - 18. What is the purpose of that verse when you have an idea like Co-exist? That verse has a purpose and the idea of Co-exist can extinguish verses such as this one fairly quickly.

Co-exist is a movement that can't ever truly work because it's not a true solution, and there will never be a true solution because the only solution comes from Jesus Christ and no where else.

My fear with this movement is the possibility of people making a religion out of it. My other fear is if some people gain more of a unity type of religion where they believe all people and all religions are one religion and you pick and choose which practices you obey and which laws you obey. This is concerning to me because a house divided against itself cannot stand. This is simply my perspective on the matter.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:41 pm
People in this world sometimes scream

But at the same time we are expect to show nothing more than the love that we'd show anyone else.
Mark 12:31 "And the second [commandment], like it, is this You shall love your neighbor as yourself..."
Even if people who claim not to be prejudice but compile every Christian as the Gay-hating, reason-denying, radical that only some are.

However, I must disagree with "BUT, WE ARE NOT given the same right to disagree with them!" to an extent. I believe that we are able to throw an opinion out there, if we do it graciously. That doesn't mean we are allowed to yell or catch Buddas on fire.  

whisperkid12

Blessed Raider

6,900 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Champion 300

911child

Blessed Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:37 am
The more they try to make us change just makes me believe more in God, why else would the world, the devils playground want us to change so bad?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:50 pm
They expect Christians to be the ones that co-exist, while the rest can bash and mock Christian beliefs.  

Lady Mallory

Lily-livered Cutie-Pie

8,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Thread Flip 150
  • Protector of Cuteness 150

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:15 pm
This is what I think every time I see those silly stickers. What people say it is is "everybody sing kubaya around a campfire" but what it really means is "[almost] everybody has the right to their beliefs. Not Christians though. You have the right to shut up and not say anything.." I  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:09 pm
Haute Macabre
They expect Christians to be the ones that co-exist, while the rest can bash and mock Christian beliefs.

This is an interesting statement because I have noticed this in society a lot. Even though a lot of people are co-exist and all that - they find an excuse to bash those who believe in God anyway. It seems that bashing Christians is an exception to the rule o.o I've noticed it a lot. I mean, like...in schools - they try to pass no bullying gay kids type bills, but there isn't, "No bullying those who believe in God." It's dumb stuff =/  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:18 pm

My beloved Christian brethren...

You cannot expect a hypocritical world to be something other than hypocritical. Also, let us keep in mind that this is what part of Christ's message was to us. We should be laughing our butts off about this because they're proving Christianity as being true without our needing to do apologetics whatsoever.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:07 am
I was raised to show love and respect to all people, regardless of their faiths. I still believe that Jesus is the only way, but I have great respect for some of the practices of other faiths (for example, I think the sound of muslims chanting is beautiful even though they are not praying to the proper God). There is a difference between sharing your faith and being cruelly intolerant. For example, one might share their faith at the lunch table when asked about why they are reading a christian book, going to a bible study, or wearing a cross necklace. That I have done quite often. It is not, however, acceptable, in my own opinion, to scream at someone and call them a satanist. Politely rebuking someone in private is one thing, publicly standing on a soapbox is another. That's another reason I dislike groups like WBC. They give us Christians a bad rap, and add fuel to the fires of the hatred in the hearts of nonchristians. I love public evangelism, but we must do it in a way that is tactful, tasteful, and shows the true loving nature of our God. Soapbox preachers, in my opinion, too often show the hateful side and the vengeful side without showing the loving, fatherly side.  

Karo Kiba

Newbie Soldier

9,975 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Contributor 150
  • Conversationalist 100

Rednal

9,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:22 am
Schools in general are intolerant of intolerance. If you made enough of a fuss about it, they'll pay attention... but I think it works even better if you work it in a positive manner. Y'know, something about "respecting all forms of faith in our schools" or whatever. The funny thing about intolerance is that it makes other people not like you, because you come across as threatening their beliefs... it's much easier to convert others when they have a positive opinion of you.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:24 pm
My grandfather is a Baptist Minister (77 years old). He gave me this pamphlet with coexist in and all I could do was *sigh* and shake my head. This is one of many reasons why I don't have the desire to attend some churches. I understand to Love thy enemy like thyself but putting your enemy in the Sanctum of the Lord is what baffles me. If you are desiring to save people from themselves why *everything up*. It dissolves the truth and the principals that really do save us from sin. Call me a 'hater' but like Jesus did in the Temple we ought to caste out those who would sell people's souls to Hell. >>  

Ratsah

Beloved Soldier

8,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100

kdke

Anxious Noob

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:44 pm
Like everyone else, I find the "Co-exist" movement a bit of a joke. There's no other way for me to mince the words without sugar-coating them, I'm afraid.

I also run into the attitude of "Christians are bad, but I'm going to bash them every moment I get" a lot. Even from my best friend, though from the things she's expressed, she has more prejudices against Christian religion than anything, ideas that really have no support other than lies from the media, misconceptions, and hearsay.

I found it interesting, though: while she seemed to be in disagreement of Christianity because of these prejudices, at the same time, she doesn't seem to care about learning the truth. It comes across as a double standard to me. Why fight for "co-existence" but then show no interest in ending prejudice against all religions by learning the truth? I'm afraid my best friend is being hypocritical as a result. Whether she truly realizes this later on is something to hope for.

While religions co-exist right now, by being on the same planet and going along with life, the connotation that people have for "co-existence" is something that just won't ever work. Their idea is that religions are somehow equal, but in reality, they're not, and they certainly don't all lead to the same thing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:57 pm
Jesus told us to love everyone. He didn't say there were any exceptions. I know pagan people, I know atheists. I tell them about Jesus, but I bring it up as another valid viewpoint. There is a way we can get along. I won't say that their beliefs right. I know what the truth is, but just because they don't know or believe in the truth doesn't mean we have any right to hate them.
A math teacher doesn't flip out at a student for getting the wrong answer. She teaches him how to do it the right way. She teaches him by example and by showing him the right way. We're no different. We can't get mad at fellow our fellow classmates at the fact that they didn't get the answer. In fact it's an opportunity to help them become something greater.
Simply sharing the Gospel and living it out can have huge ramifications on someone's life. We live out His love. We can get along, but we will still preach.  

Rytram

Beloved Friend

Servant Reborn

Devout Worshipper

12,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:34 pm
No surprise. It's the world. No servant is greater than his master. I find it odd that some folks call us sheep. It's odd since it is intended as an insult, though the Lord is our shepherd. I see those situations has an opportunity to test our selves. It is really difficult for me at present to keep from..lashing out when I get in "bad" mood, but I know Christ will help me. He's so awesome. heart God bless you brothers and sisters.  
Friendly Debate

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff