Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Friendly Debate
"Coexist"? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ugly Pitbulls

Tipsy Dog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:20 pm
I think Coexist is ironic. It's intolerant to claim anything is unacceptable. It's intolerant of someone, to expect someone else to alter their beliefs and values in order to compliment their own beliefs and values. Which is what, essentially, their preaching. On a broader scale, they're using intolerant judgement to coerce people into fitting their views with the popular opinion. When we start throwing around the intolerant label, we ourselves are being intolerant. I think it's cute, 'judgmental' in and of itself, is a judgmental label. Intolerance isn't even a bad thing, and doesn't deserve the negative connotation that it's been given to begin with.

I also believe it's rather disappointing that people allow something like a different belief, or value, to get in the way of just enjoying being together. Too often we associate a person's perspective of morality with judgement and condemnation. There is a line between believing an act is sinful and thinking poorly of someone who does it. You're missing out on good friendships when cannot see the difference.

I believe Coexisist is pushing an inaccurate message, that is hardly close to the truth, but I think most Christians believe this as well. I also believe it's inaccurate to make claims like: 'Jesus said, love your neighbor, therefore you have be all for allowing me to get my abortion, my premaritial sex, my homosexual acts, or my drugs, etc, substitute you're own controversial issue.' To begin with, one must have a poor and ugly definition of love if they believe it's okay to allow someone to do something that will hurt them. People love to bring up the women who was caught in adultery. Jesus forgave her and told her to repent. He didn't tell her to continue that behavior. The moral of the story is forgiveness and mercy, not any sort of illusion of tolerance or approval. Repent for the kingdom of Heaven of is at hand. Not to mention, the first command is to love God, and to love God is to obey his commands, and to obey his command is stand up for righteousness. It's silly that opposing arguments like to leave this snipit out even though it's a verse above it. Loving you neighbor isn't being a Christian, anyone can do that, but loving God and Jesus, that's essential for Christianity.

And, even so, Christianity aside. I believe Coexistent's message is destructive for society. It's like telling people to pretend there is no such thing as race, to ease racial tensions. In reality, this doesn't work, it actually make the problems worse. I think they have well intentions, but I don't think they've spent enough time thinking about it, especially outside of their own agenda. Honestly, I think it's going to die down in a few years anyway. I hope it does.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:49 pm
Rytram
Jesus told us to love everyone. He didn't say there were any exceptions. I know pagan people, I know atheists. I tell them about Jesus, but I bring it up as another valid viewpoint. There is a way we can get along. I won't say that their beliefs right. I know what the truth is, but just because they don't know or believe in the truth doesn't mean we have any right to hate them.
A math teacher doesn't flip out at a student for getting the wrong answer. She teaches him how to do it the right way. She teaches him by example and by showing him the right way. We're no different. We can't get mad at fellow our fellow classmates at the fact that they didn't get the answer. In fact it's an opportunity to help them become something greater.
Simply sharing the Gospel and living it out can have huge ramifications on someone's life. We live out His love. We can get along, but we will still preach.

I agree with this. Most of my friends are atheists of some variety, and a lot of times they make me out to be the bad guy while they turn around and make fun of my beliefs as if I'm not even there. I say they're entitled to their opinion because it's not likely to change unless something extraordinary happens, but I have my own beliefs as well, and nothing they say is going to change that. I don't believe all that they say, but I don't make fun or judge them for it. That's their decision. Sure I'll invite them to Church a couple times, but if it's not their thing, it's not their thing. I won't force them, only invite. Jesus didn't force people to become his disciples, he invited them and they followed. That's how I see it.

I'm a very very liberal Christian, so I'm open to a lot of things. I have sort of a live and let live look on life, but I know what I believe and I want people who want to know to know. I believe in evolution, and I follow a lot of the teachings of other religions, but I follow one God. Many religions are very similar to each other in their beliefs and even their holy texts for that matter, so I don't see why it's so hard for some people to get along.

I like the idea of Coexist, but I wished more people actually took time to think about what it's supposed to symbolise. We don't have to accept other religions or lack of, but we should respect them. That means that EVERYONE must respect EVERYONE, but we're a long way from that, so we'll have to see how that pans out.  

Smexi Chex Mix

Dapper Darling

10,350 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Popular Thread 100

Kai Sparrowheart

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:00 pm
So, I'm not a member, and I'm not necessarily a Christian or anything. I'm not sure about any religion really.
If you don't want this post here, then delete it. I'm in your guild without permission.

So, I completely understood everything you all said about double standards. Double standards are hypocritical and obnoxious. People seem to place a lot of blame on other people's religions because they think that religion is out to get their minority or their opinions, etc.

That said, Coexist isn't trying to get everyone to shut up about their opinions. No, that isn't healthy. What I, personally, think it's trying to say is patience, respect, and realization. You all know how many religions there are out there.
Everyone thinks theirs is true. You all think that God is the one and only God, while others think the opposite. There's no one person who will say what is right and what's wrong, because every religion has someone they think is the decision maker. Coexist is saying that yes, you have a Religion and you have a nationality and you have a sexuality and you have a personality and you should be proud of it, but don't overstep your bounds. Coexist isn't trying to tell you to accept any other religion's, but to realize it isn't the only one out there, and you have to respect that. People have different opinions about everything, so while some may find "homosexual acts," and "premarital sex" to be a sin, not everyone does.

By the way, about the "Jesus said, love your neighbor, therefore you have to..."
No. Just no. People may do that, but there's another double standard, if i understand the word right.
Christians aren't automatically homophobic, close minded bigots like some people make them out to be, of course not.
By the same token, non-Christians don't always do drugs, have abortions, and drink the night away. Everyone has generalization's of everyone else, Coexist says to drop the generalizations and try to understand the other religions before you generalize, and to respect them. You don't have to accept it, you don't have to believe it, you don't have to focus on it.

This world is large, in the eyes of a human, right? You are one in billions of people. There are going to be other viewpoints you don't share, there are people who will try to bring you down for what you believe. It would be impossible for there not to be.
Oh, and if God created this world, he probably would expect multiple religions. Maybe tolerance and respect are themes he wants us to understand.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:08 am
Kai Sparrowheart
So, I'm not a member, and I'm not necessarily a Christian or anything. I'm not sure about any religion really.
If you don't want this post here, then delete it. I'm in your guild without permission.

So, I completely understood everything you all said about double standards. Double standards are hypocritical and obnoxious. People seem to place a lot of blame on other people's religions because they think that religion is out to get their minority or their opinions, etc.

That said, Coexist isn't trying to get everyone to shut up about their opinions. No, that isn't healthy. What I, personally, think it's trying to say is patience, respect, and realization. You all know how many religions there are out there.
Everyone thinks theirs is true. You all think that God is the one and only God, while others think the opposite. There's no one person who will say what is right and what's wrong, because every religion has someone they think is the decision maker. Coexist is saying that yes, you have a Religion and you have a nationality and you have a sexuality and you have a personality and you should be proud of it, but don't overstep your bounds. Coexist isn't trying to tell you to accept any other religion's, but to realize it isn't the only one out there, and you have to respect that. People have different opinions about everything, so while some may find "homosexual acts," and "premarital sex" to be a sin, not everyone does.

By the way, about the "Jesus said, love your neighbor, therefore you have to..."
No. Just no. People may do that, but there's another double standard, if i understand the word right.
Christians aren't automatically homophobic, close minded bigots like some people make them out to be, of course not.
By the same token, non-Christians don't always do drugs, have abortions, and drink the night away. Everyone has generalization's of everyone else, Coexist says to drop the generalizations and try to understand the other religions before you generalize, and to respect them. You don't have to accept it, you don't have to believe it, you don't have to focus on it.

This world is large, in the eyes of a human, right? You are one in billions of people. There are going to be other viewpoints you don't share, there are people who will try to bring you down for what you believe. It would be impossible for there not to be.
Oh, and if God created this world, he probably would expect multiple religions. Maybe tolerance and respect are themes he wants us to understand.
Though you are not a member I will allow non-members to post, if it is done in sincerity like your post. smile  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Sachie Whitby

King Vampire

18,200 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:19 pm
I think Coexist is a joke. If someone is practicing any version of Christianity regardless of if they're Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, denominational protestant or just a generic non-denominational Christian, then they're going to have an inherent willingness to peacefully get along and be tolerant towards members of other faiths.

Jesus may have told us to love everyone, but that shouldn't mean we turn a blind eye and fail to notice that not everyone is reciprocating that love back. Islam is a religion that believes that it is perfectly acceptable to wage war to subjugate both Jews and Christians alike to the extent that non-Muslims do not deserve to be afforded basic human rights. This religion contains no moral absolutes and justifies anything [even things that I think that Protestants would agree with Catholics are mortal sins] if it furthers the cause of Islam.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:54 pm
I believe that "Coexist" falls under the category highlighted by 2John 5,6.
Quote:
"(5) And now I plead with you, lady, not as thought I wrote a new commandment to you, but that which we have had form the beginning" that we love one another
(6) This is love, that we walk according to His commandments. This is the commandment, that as you have heard from the beginning you should walk in it. [NKJV]

All of them are heretics (although I don't fully see what homosexually is doing with religions, unless they start bowing to Archie) and God loves them nonetheless.

The problem is that there will always be aggressive Christians, Muslims, and Jews who suppress homosexuality and other religions (I admit to doing this at times) while there will always be people offended by religion in general (e.g. "Happy Holidays"). The offended parties will generally take a verbal offensive and find other "flaws" with the other party. This leads to more conflict, much like the Christian-Muslim conflicts of over 1000 years. Islam may despise Christianity until the days of the end and upset the peace balance for years to come. The situation in Israel doesn't help either. For one, the Palestine region wants to secede in to a Muslim nation but the Jewish Israel keeps changing the accepted terms. However, Daoism is dying slowly, so they'll cease to co-"exist" soon enough.

I feel pressured into a third paragraph, so I will use it in vain and rant over gay "rights," because I've had virtually no outlet for at least 3 months. For one, regular marriage isn't technically a right, so why would gay marriage be one (the basic rights are food/water/shelter)? And why do the homosexuals always force their homosexuality into our faces, we don't need to see your poor adopted child who is adopted because you decided to gay-wed. And why do they throw parades and galas? I've had enough of your personal life in one day from "hi, I'm ___ and I"m a homosexual," what kind of opening statement is that? Straight people don't say "hi, I'm ____ and I'm a heterosexual," so why would your life style matter more than ours, its not like they're truly oppressed, you can use the same bathroom, food, fountain, flowers, ect as me. I even treat you like a human being, that's more than most people get so stop complaining you liberal sacks of wasted flesh and emptiness.
And that makes me feel better yet empty, as expected.  

whisperkid12

Blessed Raider

6,900 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Champion 300

Crinis

Beloved Conversationalist

10,900 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:08 am
Rytram
Jesus told us to love everyone. He didn't say there were any exceptions. I know pagan people, I know atheists. I tell them about Jesus, but I bring it up as another valid viewpoint. There is a way we can get along. I won't say that their beliefs right. I know what the truth is, but just because they don't know or believe in the truth doesn't mean we have any right to hate them.
A math teacher doesn't flip out at a student for getting the wrong answer. She teaches him how to do it the right way. She teaches him by example and by showing him the right way. We're no different. We can't get mad at fellow our fellow classmates at the fact that they didn't get the answer. In fact it's an opportunity to help them become something greater.
Simply sharing the Gospel and living it out can have huge ramifications on someone's life. We live out His love. We can get along, but we will still preach.
Do Not Judge. ''You don't know what storm

I completely agree with Rytram here. From what I see and my circle of friends, I've surrounded myself with various types of people of various backgrounds, beliefs, histories, and sexual orientations.

Nearly every single one of them we get together, we talk together, and we play together (gamers biggrin ) out of love. I feel that, perhaps it could be just us or perhaps there is a reason that the Lord brought them into our lives and I am not trying to sound like we are like angels or super-awesome, but a good number of them do come to us to understand our perspective and not where the average church's ''territory'' or ''outreach'' areas for information. And it's not easy to explain, it's just a feeling but sometimes I'll feel that God is among us when our hearts and minds are open to them and vise-versa something is happening. Something is changing.

I can't run with the whole ''getting mad'' thing. It sucks. Diversity and separation of the mind, spirit, and heart among humans. That's all I got to say. But I believe when we DO celebrate in His love, we are unified.

And sometimes it takes both support from one another as well as the courage to speak the Truth. You can't always do it alone, so support group and fellowship is as important as speaking the truth amongst others. Sometimes you have to wait until it's asked of you, for when will a closed heart listen?

I feel when we are calm and receptive, that's when God can use us the most, and the moment arises at His right time. For someone else, it would be different. He calls a different heart for a different situation or purpose.

As our youth pastor once said ''God doesn't call the Equiped, He Equips the Call.''

And I stand by that.

I've asked her to go through.'' ~God

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:11 am
Kai Sparrowheart

Do Not Judge. ''You don't know what storm

Yes.

I've asked her to go through.'' ~God

Crinis

Beloved Conversationalist

10,900 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Conventioneer 300

Adalido Riftscribe

Rich Tipper

8,050 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:13 pm
To be compassionate, one does not need to tolerate sin or false doctrine.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:09 pm
To be brutally honest~

Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam.) all explicitly encourage/incite violence, often directly against certain groups of people.

So, might be hard for them to coexist.  

Aran of Vengerid

Versatile Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:21 pm
Wyzukitan
To be brutally honest~

Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam.) all explicitly encourage/incite violence, often directly against certain groups of people.

Neither Judaism or Christianity encourage violence.

Deuteronomy 32:35
Vengeance is mine, and recompense, for the time when their foot shall slip; for the day of their calamity is at hand, and their doom comes swiftly.’

Hebrews 10:30
For we know him who said, "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," and again, "The Lord will judge his people."

Romans 12:19
Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord.

I could probably list a few more. Now if people take revenge, it is because people are vengeful, and will interpret anything is a green light to punish those that we don't agree with, or those that wrong us. Even a cursory reading of Scripture shows we are not allowed to do that.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:33 pm
Garland-Green
Wyzukitan
To be brutally honest~

Vengeance is mine, and recompense, for the time when their foot shall slip; for the day of their calamity is at hand, and their doom comes swiftly.’

For we know him who said, "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," and again, "The Lord will judge his people."

Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord.

I could probably list a few more. Now if people take revenge, it is because people are vengeful, and will interpret anything is a green light to punish those that we don't agree with, or those that wrong us. Even a cursory reading of Scripture shows we are not allowed to do that.

2 Chronicles 15:13 King James Version (KJV)

)13) That whosoever would not seek the Lord God of Israel should be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman.

Commanding death, eh?  

Aran of Vengerid

Versatile Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:51 pm
Wyzukitan
Garland-Green
Wyzukitan
To be brutally honest~

)13) That whosoever would not seek the Lord God of Israel should be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman.

Commanding death, eh?

It is important here to also remember to see what context this command is given. As a nation Israel had entered into a covenant with God, and agreed to follow rules, so to speak, laid out by Him, because they claimed to love Him. Their fathers, and ancestors had agreed to this, though they had been warned previously by Joshua that they would not be able to live up to their side of the covenant. God had promised enormous blessings should they do as He said, and terrible curses if they disobeyed. All these read out loud, so all could hear. The Jews today live in a very different time. They for one no longer have a temple, there is no alter to be rebuilt as we read they did in 2 Chronicles 15. They can no longer sacrifice, and have sins covered in that manner. They don't have Levite priests to mediate for them. Stoning people (those disobedient to God of their own people) for not believing when there is not even a temple anymore is the least of their concern in terms of following the old covenant.

2 Chronicles 15 New International Version (NIV)

Asa’s Reform
15 The Spirit of God came on Azariah son of Oded. 2 He went out to meet Asa and said to him, “Listen to me, Asa and all Judah and Benjamin. The Lord is with you when you are with him. If you seek him, he will be found by you, but if you forsake him, he will forsake you. 3 For a long time Israel was without the true God, without a priest to teach and without the law. 4 But in their distress they turned to the Lord, the God of Israel, and sought him, and he was found by them. 5 In those days it was not safe to travel about, for all the inhabitants of the lands were in great turmoil. 6 One nation was being crushed by another and one city by another, because God was troubling them with every kind of distress. 7 But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded.”

8 When Asa heard these words and the prophecy of Azariah son of[a] Oded the prophet, he took courage. He removed the detestable idols from the whole land of Judah and Benjamin and from the towns he had captured in the hills of Ephraim. He repaired the altar of the Lord that was in front of the portico of the Lord’s temple.

9 Then he assembled all Judah and Benjamin and the people from Ephraim, Manasseh and Simeon who had settled among them, for large numbers had come over to him from Israel when they saw that the Lord his God was with him.

10 They assembled at Jerusalem in the third month of the fifteenth year of Asa’s reign. 11 At that time they sacrificed to the Lord seven hundred head of cattle and seven thousand sheep and goats from the plunder they had brought back. 12 They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their ancestors, with all their heart and soul. 13 All who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, were to be put to death, whether small or great, man or woman. 14 They took an oath to the Lord with loud acclamation, with shouting and with trumpets and horns. 15 All Judah rejoiced about the oath because they had sworn it wholeheartedly. They sought God eagerly, and he was found by them. So the Lord gave them rest on every side.

16 King Asa also deposed his grandmother Maakah from her position as queen mother, because she had made a repulsive image for the worship of Asherah. Asa cut it down, broke it up and burned it in the Kidron Valley. 17 Although he did not remove the high places from Israel, Asa’s heart was fully committed to the Lord all his life. 18 He brought into the temple of God the silver and gold and the articles that he and his father had dedicated.

19 There was no more war until the thirty-fifth year of Asa’s reign.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:38 pm
Garland-Green
Wyzukitan
Garland-Green
Wyzukitan
To be brutally honest~

Commanding death, eh?

It is important here to also remember to see what context this command is given. As a nation Israel had entered into a covenant with God, and agreed to follow rules, so to speak, laid out by Him, because they claimed to love Him. Their fathers, and ancestors had agreed to this, though they had been warned previously by Joshua that they would not be able to live up to their side of the covenant. God had promised enormous blessings should they do as He said, and terrible curses if they disobeyed. All these read out loud, so all could hear. The Jews today live in a very different time. They for one no longer have a temple, there is no alter to be rebuilt as we read they did in 2 Chronicles 15. They can no longer sacrifice, and have sins covered in that manner. They don't have Levite priests to mediate for them. Stoning people (those disobedient to God of their own people) for not believing when there is not even a temple anymore is the least of their concern in terms of following the old covenant.

Asa’s Reform
15 The Spirit of God came on Azariah son of Oded. 2 He went out to meet Asa and said to him, “Listen to me, Asa and all Judah and Benjamin. The Lord is with you when you are with him. If you seek him, he will be found by you, but if you forsake him, he will forsake you. 3 For a long time Israel was without the true God, without a priest to teach and without the law. 4 But in their distress they turned to the Lord, the God of Israel, and sought him, and he was found by them. 5 In those days it was not safe to travel about, for all the inhabitants of the lands were in great turmoil. 6 One nation was being crushed by another and one city by another, because God was troubling them with every kind of distress. 7 But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded.”

8 When Asa heard these words and the prophecy of Azariah son of[a] Oded the prophet, he took courage. He removed the detestable idols from the whole land of Judah and Benjamin and from the towns he had captured in the hills of Ephraim. He repaired the altar of the Lord that was in front of the portico of the Lord’s temple.

9 Then he assembled all Judah and Benjamin and the people from Ephraim, Manasseh and Simeon who had settled among them, for large numbers had come over to him from Israel when they saw that the Lord his God was with him.

10 They assembled at Jerusalem in the third month of the fifteenth year of Asa’s reign. 11 At that time they sacrificed to the Lord seven hundred head of cattle and seven thousand sheep and goats from the plunder they had brought back. 12 They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their ancestors, with all their heart and soul. 13 All who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, were to be put to death, whether small or great, man or woman. 14 They took an oath to the Lord with loud acclamation, with shouting and with trumpets and horns. 15 All Judah rejoiced about the oath because they had sworn it wholeheartedly. They sought God eagerly, and he was found by them. So the Lord gave them rest on every side.

16 King Asa also deposed his grandmother Maakah from her position as queen mother, because she had made a repulsive image for the worship of Asherah. Asa cut it down, broke it up and burned it in the Kidron Valley. 17 Although he did not remove the high places from Israel, Asa’s heart was fully committed to the Lord all his life. 18 He brought into the temple of God the silver and gold and the articles that he and his father had dedicated.

Researching, I'll edit this post.  

Aran of Vengerid

Versatile Gaian

Aran of Vengerid

Versatile Gaian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:38 pm
Wyzukitan
Garland-Green
Wyzukitan
Garland-Green
Wyzukitan
To be brutally honest~

Commanding death, eh?

Asa’s Reform

Researching, I'll edit this post.

I've made up a process to help me with this.

First off, what makes you accept these writings as true and valid?  
Friendly Debate

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff