Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Cults, heresies, Pseudepigrapha and other religions
Jehovah's Witnesses Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:15 am
User Image

Jehovah's Witnesses' History
by Matt Slick

The Jehovah's Witnesses was begun by Charles Taze Russell in 1872. He was born on February 16, 1852, the son of Joseph L. and Anna Eliza Russell. He had great difficulty in dealing with the doctrine of eternal hell fire and in his studies came to deny not only eternal punishment, but also the Trinity, and the deity of Christ and the Holy Spirit. When Russell was 18, he organized a Bible class in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. In 1879 he sought to popularize his aberrant ideas on doctrine. He co-published The Herald of the Morning magazine with its founder, N. H. Barbour and by 1884 Russell controlled the publication and renamed it The Watchtower Announcing Jehovah's Kingdom, and founded Zion's Watch Tower Tract Society (now known as the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society). The first edition of The Watchtower magazine was only 6,000 copies each month. Today the Witnesses' publishing complex in Brooklyn, New York, churns out 100,000 books and 800,000 copies of its two magazines--daily!

User Image

Russell claimed that the Bible could be only understood according to his interpretations. A dangerous arrangement since he controlled what was written in the Watchtower magazine. This kind of assertion is typical among leaders of cult religions.

After the death of Russell on Oct. 31, 1916, a Missouri lawyer named Joseph Franklin Rutherford took over the presidency of the Watch Tower Society which was known then as the International Bible Students Association. In 1931 he changed the name of the organization to "The Jehovah's Witnesses."

After Rutherford's death, Nathan Knorr took over. After Knorr, Frederick William Franz became president.

The Society was led by Mr. Henschel who died in 2003. The group has over 4 million members world wide. The Watchtower Society statistics indicate that 740 house calls are required to recruit each of the nearly 200,000 new members who join every year.

The Jehovah's Witnesses have several ‘book studies' each week. The members are not required to attend, but there is a level of expectation that gently urges converts to participate. It is during these ‘book studies' that the Jehovah's Witness is constantly exposed to counter Christian teachings. The average Jehovah's Witness, with his constant Watchtower indoctrination, could easily pummel the average Christian when it comes to defending his beliefs.

The Jehovah's Witnesses vehemently portray the doctrine of the Trinity as pagan in origin and that Christendom, as a whole, has bought the lie of the devil. Along with denying the Trinity is an equally strong denial of the deity of Christ, the deity of the Holy Spirit, the belief in hell, and eternal conscious punishment in hell.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:48 am
-Compiled by Paul & Pat Blizard
Former Third Generation Jehovah's Witnesses

Of all items listed, only three have been discontinued. All are listed,
to show the absurdity of Watchtower rules and the absolute control leadership
has over the lives of members once they join.

1. God is not a Trinity; the doctrine is inspired by the Devil
2. Jesus is not to be worshiped or prayed to-he is only an angel (a.k.a. Michael the archangel)
3. Jesus Christ is a "created being," who at one time did not exist
4. The Holy Spirit is not a person but is "God's active force" i.e. gravity, electricity etc.
5. Heaven is hope only for select Jehovah's Witnesses. The majority of JWs hope to live on "paradise earth"
6. Heaven is limited only to 144,000 Jehovah's Witnesses.There are only 9,105 alive today (2006 figures)
7. Jehovah's Witnesses are the only "true Christians." All churches and denominations are considered "false religion"
8. There is no Hell or eternal judgment ("Hell" is simply the grave)
9. There is no life after death except for the 144,000 Jehovah's Witnesses
10. Salvation is earned only by being a loyal Jehovah's Witness
11. Jesus second coming happened invisibly and secretly in 1914
12. The "first resurrection" occurred in 1918
13. Jesus did not rise from the dead bodily but as a spirit being
14. Jesus was equal to Adam (just a man)
15. Jesus could have sinned and failed in his mission
16. Jesus was not born the savior but became the savior at his baptism
17. God is not omnipresent
18. God is not omniscient
19. JWs are not sure of their salvation
20. All earthly governments are controlled by the Devil
21. The Holy Spirit is only available to select Jehovah's Witnesses
22. They are forbidden to serve in the military
23. They are forbidden to buy Girl Scout cookies
30. They are forbidden to celebrate any holidays (Christmas, Easter, etc.)
31. They are forbidden to celebrate their birthday
32. They are forbidden to run for or hold a political office
33. They are forbidden to vote in any political campaign
34. They are forbidden to serve on a jury
35. They are forbidden to own or wear a cross
36. They are forbidden to speak to former members who are shunned (disfellowshipped)
37. They are forbidden to accept Christmas gifts
38. They are forbidden to purchase Christian products (books, music, plaques, pictures etc.)
39. They are forbidden to read Christian literature
40. They are forbidden to have friends who are not Jehovah's Witnesses
41. They are forbidden to marry a non-Jehovah's Witness
42. They are forbidden to salute the flag, stand for the national anthem, or own a flag
43. They are forbidden to say "God bless you" when someone sneezes.
44. They are forbidden to have a tattoo
45. They are forbidden to use pet foods made with blood or blood products
46. They are forbidden to donate blood or their organs
47. They are forbidden to read any anti-Jehovah's Witness material
48. They are forbidden to interpret the Bible without Watchtower literature to explain it
49. They are forbidden to wear any Christian jewelry
50. They are forbidden to support their country and be patriotic
51. They are forbidden to be involved in martial arts, boxing or wrestling
52. They are forbidden to join any clubs or sports teams
53. They are forbidden to participate in a school play
54. They are forbidden to use any tobacco products
55. They are forbidden to attend the funeral of an ex-Jehovah's Witness
56. They are forbidden to say "good luck"
57. They are forbidden to be a police officer
58. Women are forbidden pray in the presence of men without a hat or head covering
59. They are forbidden to play chess
60. They are forbidden to wear jade jewelry
61. They must not own wind-chimes (they are for chasing away evil spirits)
62. They must read and study Watchtower literature regularly
63. They must go from door to door weekly to gain converts
64. They must attend five meetings per week
65. Only officially approved sexual practices are allowed in marriage
66. Jehovah's Witness Kingdom Halls have no windows
67. If they witness another Jehovah's Witness breaking the rules they must report them to the elders to be interrogated
68. They are forbidden to take a blood transfusion
69. Men are forbidden wear beards
70. The Watchtower organization is God's prophet on earth today
71. Women must submit to the authority of Watchtower elders
72. They must forgo vacations to attend annual conventions  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:57 am
The New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures (NWT) is a translation of the Bible published by the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society in 1961; it is used and distributed by Jehovah's Witnesses. Though it is not the first Bible to be published by the group, it is their first original translation of ancient Classical Hebrew, Koine Greek, and Old Aramaic biblical texts. As of early 2012, the Watch Tower Society has published 174 million copies of the New World Translation in 108 language editions. (Source: Wikipedia)

The Jehovah's Witnesses Fraudulent Bible: Evaluating The "New World Translation"  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:51 am
A chunk of those Watchtower rules don't sound too absurd (as I can tell what verses they are referring to and why they don't celebrate the pagan versions of the holy days), but #2 especially; even if disregarding the bit about Yeshua being a messenger, the rest of that "rule" remains true. He told his disciples to address their prayers to the Father, not any other member of the trinity.

Quote:
Matthew 6:6

6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

&, correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that when we pray in "jesus name", we pray like him not to him. We pray according to the same kind of things he would ask for, as if he was the one praying, just that we do it in his place as a representative of his kingdom. Said differently, it is by his authority that we are making a request and the types of things we request would be the same things he would ask.  

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:50 am
real eyes realize
A chunk of those Watchtower rules don't sound too absurd (as I can tell what verses they are referring to and why they don't celebrate the pagan versions of the holy days), but #2 especially; even if disregarding the bit about Yeshua being a messenger, the rest of that "rule" remains true. He told his disciples to address their prayers to the Father, not any other member of the trinity.

Quote:
Matthew 6:6

6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

&, correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that when we pray in "jesus name", we pray like him not to him. We pray according to the same kind of things he would ask for, as if he was the one praying, just that we do it in his place as a representative of his kingdom. Said differently, it is by his authority that we are making a request and the types of things we request would be the same things he would ask.

The main difference is that we are not forbidden to celebrate these days.
It is not a command from the Lord that we should not celebrate Christmas, or Easter for that matter. It is more a call of conscience. [Edit] It is not something I see as a doctrinal danger that could pose a threat to the gospel or someones salvation, celebrating Christmas or not.

Romans 14:5
One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind. He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God.

1 Corinthians 10:28
But if anyone says to you, "This has been offered in sacrifice," then do not eat it, both for the sake of the man who told you and for conscience' sake--

I see no problems with praying to Jesus. Isn't Jesus also God? Is he inferior to God the Father? That would mean God is divided, and we know there is only One God. Are we just praying to one side of the Godhead and excluding the other if we pray in the name of Jesus? I think we address all of God when we pray. Another word for praying is speaking. When he was addressing them he was still with them, and could talk to them face to face. [Edit] He also did not command them to not pray to him. This doesn't seem to me as a case of 'this but not that'.

"by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him" (Col 1:16)  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:28 am
Oh, I thought that all these years Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons were the same. So, is it both Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons that come knocking at the door, or just one of the two? I am not quite sure why these two cults were the same in my mind sweatdrop .

Although, I must say how saddening this is and I never understood how bad things were in these cult belief systems. It truly saddens me, though. It makes my heart ache so much for these people sad

I remember hearing from people I've known over the years who were teachers and them having a hard time trying to plan Valentine's Day parties or Christmas parties in the classroom because of kids who were of the Jehovah's Witnesses. I can't even in my wildest imagination how it would be for a kid to go all their life without celebrating their birthday. Also, what happens when someone who knows you tries to be nice and throws you a surprise birthday party without you knowing? Is that seriously going to end up being the birthday kid's fault? It's a saddening thought. Some of these kids in public schools are Jehovah's witnesses and because of their parents beliefs - they won't ever be able to be included in any type of fun activity.

Although, I can honestly say I wish everyone was forbidden to buy Girl Scout cookies because of their affiliation with planned parenthood. It's sad, though, that they have so many freedoms taken away from them. Simple freedoms and some of these freedoms are requirements - if you don't comply then you can go to jail. Although, I suppose a lot of these things are waived if your beliefs say you can't do something. I've heard of people saying, "It's against my beliefs, I will not do it." and others have to listen - even if that person will die because of this set of beliefs.

To me, this sounds like a cult that wants to make people miserable for the rest of their lives, and have reason to live in fear because they can't undergo certain life saving procedures, or might be shunned if they don't follow everything down to the wire. Where's the grace and forgiveness? crying

It makes me incredibly sad because of my past situations with those that twisted doctrine I looked up effects of people - adults and children who have suffered spiritual abuse in their lifetimes. I found an article that said children and adults who were spiritually abused in their lifetimes often have similar symptoms to those who had alcoholics as parents, or had to go through foster care. It makes me sad for these people, and especially the children that get stuck in this type of thing.

Thank you for posting this to clarify as well. It helps me to have an idea on what these people believe and possibly how to witness to them if ever given a chance, or ever called to do so. I guess I never realized how horrific these cults were - it makes me want to go curl up and cry somewhere as well as pray until I can't pray anymore.  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:51 am
Aquatic_blue
Oh, I thought that all these years Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons were the same. So, is it both Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons that come knocking at the door, or just one of the two? I am not quite sure why these two cults were the same in my mind sweatdrop .

Although, I must say how saddening this is and I never understood how bad things were in these cult belief systems. It truly saddens me, though. It makes my heart ache so much for these people sad

I remember hearing from people I've known over the years who were teachers and them having a hard time trying to plan Valentine's Day parties or Christmas parties in the classroom because of kids who were of the Jehovah's Witnesses. I can't even in my wildest imagination how it would be for a kid to go all their life without celebrating their birthday. Also, what happens when someone who knows you tries to be nice and throws you a surprise birthday party without you knowing? Is that seriously going to end up being the birthday kid's fault? It's a saddening thought. Some of these kids in public schools are Jehovah's witnesses and because of their parents beliefs - they won't ever be able to be included in any type of fun activity.

Although, I can honestly say I wish everyone was forbidden to buy Girl Scout cookies because of their affiliation with planned parenthood. It's sad, though, that they have so many freedoms taken away from them. Simple freedoms and some of these freedoms are requirements - if you don't comply then you can go to jail. Although, I suppose a lot of these things are waived if your beliefs say you can't do something. I've heard of people saying, "It's against my beliefs, I will not do it." and others have to listen - even if that person will die because of this set of beliefs.

To me, this sounds like a cult that wants to make people miserable for the rest of their lives, and have reason to live in fear because they can't undergo certain life saving procedures, or might be shunned if they don't follow everything down to the wire. Where's the grace and forgiveness? crying

It makes me incredibly sad because of my past situations with those that twisted doctrine I looked up effects of people - adults and children who have suffered spiritual abuse in their lifetimes. I found an article that said children and adults who were spiritually abused in their lifetimes often have similar symptoms to those who had alcoholics as parents, or had to go through foster care. It makes me sad for these people, and especially the children that get stuck in this type of thing.

Thank you for posting this to clarify as well. It helps me to have an idea on what these people believe and possibly how to witness to them if ever given a chance, or ever called to do so. I guess I never realized how horrific these cults were - it makes me want to go curl up and cry somewhere as well as pray until I can't pray anymore.

The are both very eager to convert people to their belief, and they both do go door to door. From what I gather for the Jehovah's Witnesses it is part of their salvation. What is so dangerous with these cults is that they use Christian terminology, and to someone who does not know their doctrines they appear
Christian. Cults are really dangerous, and we should always do our best to test the spirits so we don't get captured by human philosophies.

There is no forgiveness or grace because it is a religion of works. They are miserable because there is no freedom. It is enslavement. =( I feel really bad for kids growing up in a Jehovah's Witness family, if they ever break away they will be shunned by their own family. You are right in calling it abuse.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:35 am
I guess the freedom to choose really is the big issue. I started losing interests in holidays since the age of 8 (way before I ever came near a bible or learned anything remotely Jehovah's Witnessy). I just couldn't stand the materialism and the meaninglessness (Santa, eggs, etc...), but of course, as a kid I couldn't express myself the way I do now, so the only thing I could say is "I don't want stuff" which my parents didn't take seriously I guess. It also didn't help that my mother would force me to say "i love you" and show affection towards people that I did not genuinely feel any love towards; at every holiday event she turned me into a liar and it felt like emotional rape really. The family get-togethers were loud and over the top, I didn't want anything to do with it. It completely turned me off and I lost interest in birthday parties even earlier.

But despite the way I felt, they kept forcing me to participate, buying me presents, or forcing me to attend parties. Later in life I just didn't understand why, if you loved someone, you would choose to express that love by making them gorge on unhealthy foods or extremely sugary "treats", overtaxing their organs like that. I also found really nonsensical how they'd always be telling each other, "you should lose weight, you're too fat" lol. Typical hispanic greeting, concentrating on the body. I guess it never crossed their mind that their kids were overweight because of how they encouraged them to binge on food. /)_-'

There was nothing spiritual about the holidays (even though my mother would put a nativity scene every year underneath that non-christian tree) nor was anything jesus-related discussed on any other day of the year so I found it really easy to drop them 100% after reading the bible and finding out he wasn't born in the winter, that decorated eggs and marshmallow peeps also had nothing to do with Jesus, neither did Valentine's day (more of a lust-filled holiday and again with the gluttony). Of course, my family didn't want to hear it; they wanted to worship blindly even if most of the things they thought were true actually weren't. If something is not true (i.e. he was born dec 25th) and it's being associated with Yeshua, I will not support it. We're told to worship in spirit and truth. Forcing your kids to lie (or believe a lie), I don't care how "fun" the holiday is for the parent, is just wrong. Yeshua, the truth, cannot be associated with a lie. It profanes his name.  

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

Aoife

Beloved Worshipper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:17 pm
Right after I got saved when I was simply studying the Bible at home on my own, some JW's came to visit. I was so hungry for more spiritual feedings, I let them come back again and again. They were there several times and they started with stuff that doesn't seem to go against anything that you know already. I grew up in a Catholic school, I knew the Bible accounts, I just didn't know anyone who was really living any different because of Christ.

I grew up in a home that said they were Christian but really weren't. Sure, we went to church on Sunday, but it was never talked about the rest of the week and there was no living faith in our home.It was more like belonging to a political party (this is the way we vote.)

Anyway, once I had an actual faith, something living on the inside of me, when I didn't just simple believe IN a God but believed ON God, when I had that difference in me, everything changed. I had a hunger for more and more! I wasn't just talking to God, He was talking back to me, and I had ears to hear Him with now...

Anyway, as the JW's kept coming, they would show me a bit of scripture, show me what it really meant in the Greek, this was right up my alley! I have a teaching gifting in me, studying and learning are something I loved already, this was great! Then they said something to me that put me in a tailspin. Actually, I was the one who brought it up to them, what about Jesus...? Son of God? Their answer was the Bible says NOT to bow down to him, only bow to to God, so of course they told me, "Jesus isn't God, there is no "trinity"" which was something I had grown up with. This was disquieting to say the least to me, I was super unsettled. But...they had that Greek to show me, had I learned wrong all those years something so basic? I truthfully didn't yet know HOW to study well on my own, I hadn't even finished reading the Bible through the first time on my own, and I had limited other resources. Now it seems silly, but back then, the internet was NOT what it is today (man, do I feel old saying THAT) and to look up what today I take for granted in a few keystrokes away was just not the first though we had to find information. (I did have an old slow dail-up computer, and while there weren't as many websites and as much readily available info, I did eventually find some fabulous reasons HOW/WHY to refute the JW's ascertations. The internet sure developed so fast really...anyway, I digress...

After I did some research on this topic and finally felt confident that the agruement they were using was stupid (their version of the Bible says to do "obeisance" to Jesus, which MEANS to bow down, lol!) they tried to argue some more with me, but the Spirit with in me finally helped me to feel settled on the topic after weeks of agonizing over it though. I asked them to please stop coming and they did, but it certainly gave me a huge insight to how they slowly indoctrinate new members.

I personally think most of their rules are ridiculous. Of course, it has to be, because it makes the cult/religion all about you and not all about God, your works are your salvation, it's not a free gift. So sad.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:49 pm
Garland-Green
Aquatic_blue

The are both very eager to convert people to their belief, and they both do go door to door. From what I gather for the Jehovah's Witnesses it is part of their salvation. What is so dangerous with these cults is that they use Christian terminology, and to someone who does not know their doctrines they appear
Christian. Cults are really dangerous, and we should always do our best to test the spirits so we don't get captured by human philosophies.

There is no forgiveness or grace because it is a religion of works. They are miserable because there is no freedom. It is enslavement. =( I feel really bad for kids growing up in a Jehovah's Witness family, if they ever break away they will be shunned by their own family. You are right in calling it abuse.

Yeah, it just astounds me at how many people in this world undergo spiritual abuse and may not realize it their entire life or may not realize it for many years. Yet, the damage will still remain for a while and it hurts. I've never been in something this cultish, but was still a cult and spiritual abuse isn't a friendly feeling. You fear being shunned by your own friends and family when you decide to leave. I've had to deal with being shunned by people for switching to a different belief, but it wasn't that much of a different belief which is the ironic part. I suppose with cults such as these they believe they are the only way you are going to get to Heaven so they think they are justified to cast people out for not much of a reason at all, or to shun those that do their best to follow God's word.

I noticed that the Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons do use Christian terminology, and it is dangerous since they use this. They are wolves in sheep's clothing, and they are difficult to spot at times. I remember I lived in an apartment complex at one time where there was no soliciting or door-to-door stuff allowed and either, and the Mormons came to our door and I didn't answer and called the office as we are supposed to according to the lease if there is any door-to-door activity. They didn't take me seriously the first time, and they came back the same time the next day and I called it in and they said they would handle it, and then they came back a few days later except at night when the apartment office was closed eek and my husband answered it and the person was explaining and my husband was standing there as they did their whole speech and then they said, "Do you know God?" and my husband said, "Yes." and they said, "Oh? What denomination are you?" and my husband said, "Non-denominational Christian." and the guy's eyes got real wide and he looked nervous and said, "Oh." and then excused himself. So, if their ideas were even real beliefs - they wouldn't be frightened or nervous in the presence of a Non-denominational Christian. I must say in going door-to-door they are persistent about it - even if it does break rules. neutral  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:03 pm
real eyes realize
I guess the freedom to choose really is the big issue. I started losing interests in holidays since the age of 8 (way before I ever came near a bible or learned anything remotely Jehovah's Witnessy). I just couldn't stand the materialism and the meaninglessness (Santa, eggs, etc...), but of course, as a kid I couldn't express myself the way I do now, so the only thing I could say is "I don't want stuff" which my parents didn't take seriously I guess. It also didn't help that my mother would force me to say "i love you" and show affection towards people that I did not genuinely feel any love towards; at every holiday event she turned me into a liar and it felt like emotional rape really. The family get-togethers were loud and over the top, I didn't want anything to do with it. It completely turned me off and I lost interest in birthday parties even earlier.

But despite the way I felt, they kept forcing me to participate, buying me presents, or forcing me to attend parties. Later in life I just didn't understand why, if you loved someone, you would choose to express that love by making them gorge on unhealthy foods or extremely sugary "treats", overtaxing their organs like that. I also found really nonsensical how they'd always be telling each other, "you should lose weight, you're too fat" lol. Typical hispanic greeting, concentrating on the body. I guess it never crossed their mind that their kids were overweight because of how they encouraged them to binge on food. /)_-'

There was nothing spiritual about the holidays (even though my mother would put a nativity scene every year underneath that non-christian tree) nor was anything jesus-related discussed on any other day of the year so I found it really easy to drop them 100% after reading the bible and finding out he wasn't born in the winter, that decorated eggs and marshmallow peeps also had nothing to do with Jesus, neither did Valentine's day (more of a lust-filled holiday and again with the gluttony). Of course, my family didn't want to hear it; they wanted to worship blindly even if most of the things they thought were true actually weren't. If something is not true (i.e. he was born dec 25th) and it's being associated with Yeshua, I will not support it. We're told to worship in spirit and truth. Forcing your kids to lie (or believe a lie), I don't care how "fun" the holiday is for the parent, is just wrong. Yeshua, the truth, cannot be associated with a lie. It profanes his name.

Your family forcing you to partake in holidays that you did not want to partake in is not right. I know Christmas has become something of a monster, with focus on presents and materialism instead of what it used to be about. A time to remember Jesus. Christmas I feel is also an excellent time to evangelize. More people are open to hearing about the gospel then any other time of the year. As for Valentines day and such I don't so much like that we celebrate, and make so much out of people. St. Valentine was just another believer. It is not where our focus should be.

What if the parent told their kids; "Hey we don't know when Jesus was born. It could have been in the spring, but we decide to celebrate it now." Then it would not be lying would it? I have to say it is awesome though that you are so into the Truth, and worshiping in Truth. It is sad that your parents don't really believe. My didn't either, and when we celebrated it was much like how your parents celebrate. The gifts and the food. Gifts and food are not bad if that is not what all your celebration is about, but if it is then the heart is not in the right place. However denying your child to celebrate can be just as destructive.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:04 pm
Garland-Green

What if the parent told their kids; "Hey we don't know when Jesus was born. It could have been in the spring, but we decide to celebrate it now." Then it would not be lying would it?

Yes, it would.

We shouldn't pick random dates just to accommodate worldly people. Our decisions should be scriptural and scripture eliminates the Dec. 25th possibility. If we go ahead with Dec. 25th, despite scripture telling us otherwise, we support a lie, not the truth. The act of making up counterfeit holidays is frowned upon in scripture anyway (such as Jeroboam choosing a different date to hold an otherwise legitimate holy day [1 King 12:32] but he also appointed priests outside of the Levitical tribe too; Jeroboam was notoriously wicked and his actions led the whole nation into idolatry for offering an alternative to the truth, for arbitrarily choosing how/when to celebrate, not using YHWH's words as the determining factor).

It snows in Israel during December; the sheep wouldn't be out grazing, yet the shepherds were out watching over their flock during the night [Luke 2:8]. They wouldn't of done this during those snowy months, because they slept out there with the sheep under the open sky. It's highly unlikely that this is the month, let alone the season, of his birth. So it would be untruthful to commemorate it on that day. But what makes it even worse is that out of all the possibilities, why choose Dec. 25th? Why commemorate his birthday during the same time the pagan "winter solstice" festivities are taking place? That's mixing the Holy with the unholy. Reminds me of Ezekiel:

Quote:
Ezekiel 22:26

26 Her priests do violence to my law and profane my holy things; they do not distinguish between the holy and the common; they teach that there is no difference between the unclean and the clean; and they shut their eyes to the keeping of my Sabbaths, so that I am profaned among them.

Then there's the fact that we're not told to commemorate the event of his birth unlike the Lord's Supper which he outright tells us to do and we're given examples of the apostles encouraging people to observe the Passover after his death [1 Cor 5:8]. There's a theory, using scripture, that he came into this world on one of the moedim/appointed times/feast days/sabbaths called Sukkot (Feast of Tabernacles), which made me think, if people were keeping the divine appointments, they're naturally going to commemorate everything Yeshua did (and will do in the future). There's no need to make up more holidays because YHWH has given us seven already which act as a liturgical calendar.

I'm not against evangelizing on that date. People can evangelize regardless of the calendar date; if they want to evangelize during "christmas" they can go ahead. What I am against is the traditions of darkness being associated with his name: the trees, despite their association with the worship of pagan gods, being mingled with the worship of our Messiah. Then of course the other pagan fertility symbols like Holly used in the celebration of Yule, which is not the same thing as Christmas, yet is still a religious observance during this time and "Reindeer" which is the common representation of the horned god worshiped during Yule.

Above all, it gives people the wrong idea that Yeshua is the same thing as Mithra, Horus, Krishna, etc... whose mythology involves a December 25th birth date. It makes him common.  

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:43 am
real eyes realize
Garland-Green

What if the parent told their kids; "Hey we don't know when Jesus was born. It could have been in the spring, but we decide to celebrate it now." Then it would not be lying would it?

Yes, it would.

We shouldn't pick random dates just to accommodate worldly people. Our decisions should be scriptural and scripture eliminates the Dec. 25th possibility. If we go ahead with Dec. 25th, despite scripture telling us otherwise, we support a lie, not the truth. The act of making up counterfeit holidays is frowned upon in scripture anyway (such as Jeroboam choosing a different date to hold an otherwise legitimate holy day [1 King 12:32] but he also appointed priests outside of the Levitical tribe too; Jeroboam was notoriously wicked and his actions led the whole nation into idolatry for offering an alternative to the truth, for arbitrarily choosing how/when to celebrate, not using YHWH's words as the determining factor).

It snows in Israel during December; the sheep wouldn't be out grazing, yet the shepherds were out watching over their flock during the night [Luke 2:8]. They wouldn't of done this during those snowy months, because they slept out there with the sheep under the open sky. It's highly unlikely that this is the month, let alone the season, of his birth. So it would be untruthful to commemorate it on that day. But what makes it even worse is that out of all the possibilities, why choose Dec. 25th? Why commemorate his birthday during the same time the pagan "winter solstice" festivities are taking place? That's mixing the Holy with the unholy. Reminds me of Ezekiel:

Quote:
Ezekiel 22:26

26 Her priests do violence to my law and profane my holy things; they do not distinguish between the holy and the common; they teach that there is no difference between the unclean and the clean; and they shut their eyes to the keeping of my Sabbaths, so that I am profaned among them.

Then there's the fact that we're not told to commemorate the event of his birth unlike the Lord's Supper which he outright tells us to do and we're given examples of the apostles encouraging people to observe the Passover after his death [1 Cor 5:8]. There's a theory, using scripture, that he came into this world on one of the moedim/appointed times/feast days/sabbaths called Sukkot (Feast of Tabernacles), which made me think, if people were keeping the divine appointments, they're naturally going to commemorate everything Yeshua did (and will do in the future). There's no need to make up more holidays because YHWH has given us seven already which act as a liturgical calendar.

I'm not against evangelizing on that date. People can evangelize regardless of the calendar date; if they want to evangelize during "christmas" they can go ahead. What I am against is the traditions of darkness being associated with his name: the trees, despite their association with the worship of pagan gods, being mingled with the worship of our Messiah. Then of course the other pagan fertility symbols like Holly used in the celebration of Yule, which is not the same thing as Christmas, yet is still a religious observance during this time and "Reindeer" which is the common representation of the horned god worshiped during Yule.

Above all, it gives people the wrong idea that Yeshua is the same thing as Mithra, Horus, Krishna, etc... whose mythology involves a December 25th birth date. It makes him common.

But I am not talking about pleasing the world. Celebrating Christmas because you community celebrates, or because the world is celebrating. I am talking about my non-existent kids. I would not want to harden their heart towards accepting Jesus when they are ready by enforcing rules that they might not understand. Me and you understand because we are saved, it doesn't mean we can expect someone unsaved to understand and follow.
If I am the reason why they do not want to accept Jesus because I am hard and unrelenting (as for example imposing these rules as a must to be a true Christian) then I have failed as a parent, and to some degree as a Christian.

1 Corinthians 9:20
To the Jews I became as a Jew, so that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law; to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law. To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak; I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some. I do all things for the sake of the gospel, so that I may become a fellow partaker of it.

Quote:
Above all, it gives people the wrong idea that Yeshua is the same thing as Mithra, Horus, Krishna, etc... whose mythology involves a December 25th birth date. It makes him common

A kid would not necessarily draw those conclusions. At an appropriate age I would explain these things, so I am not saying I disagree with what you are saying.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm
Garland-Green
-Compiled by Paul & Pat Blizard
Former Third Generation Jehovah's Witnesses

Of all items listed, only three have been discontinued. All are listed,
to show the absurdity of Watchtower rules and the absolute control leadership
has over the lives of members once they join.

1. God is not a Trinity; the doctrine is inspired by the Devil
2. Jesus is not to be worshiped or prayed to-he is only an angel (a.k.a. Michael the archangel)
3. Jesus Christ is a "created being," who at one time did not exist
4. The Holy Spirit is not a person but is "God's active force" i.e. gravity, electricity etc.
5. Heaven is hope only for select Jehovah's Witnesses. The majority of JWs hope to live on "paradise earth"
6. Heaven is limited only to 144,000 Jehovah's Witnesses.There are only 9,105 alive today (2006 figures)
7. Jehovah's Witnesses are the only "true Christians." All churches and denominations are considered "false religion"
8. There is no Hell or eternal judgment ("Hell" is simply the grave)
9. There is no life after death except for the 144,000 Jehovah's Witnesses
10. Salvation is earned only by being a loyal Jehovah's Witness
11. Jesus second coming happened invisibly and secretly in 1914
12. The "first resurrection" occurred in 1918
13. Jesus did not rise from the dead bodily but as a spirit being
14. Jesus was equal to Adam (just a man)
15. Jesus could have sinned and failed in his mission
16. Jesus was not born the savior but became the savior at his baptism
17. God is not omnipresent
18. God is not omniscient
19. JWs are not sure of their salvation
20. All earthly governments are controlled by the Devil
21. The Holy Spirit is only available to select Jehovah's Witnesses
22. They are forbidden to serve in the military
23. They are forbidden to buy Girl Scout cookies
30. They are forbidden to celebrate any holidays (Christmas, Easter, etc.)
31. They are forbidden to celebrate their birthday
32. They are forbidden to run for or hold a political office
33. They are forbidden to vote in any political campaign
34. They are forbidden to serve on a jury
35. They are forbidden to own or wear a cross
36. They are forbidden to speak to former members who are shunned (disfellowshipped)
37. They are forbidden to accept Christmas gifts
38. They are forbidden to purchase Christian products (books, music, plaques, pictures etc.)
39. They are forbidden to read Christian literature
40. They are forbidden to have friends who are not Jehovah's Witnesses
41. They are forbidden to marry a non-Jehovah's Witness
42. They are forbidden to salute the flag, stand for the national anthem, or own a flag
43. They are forbidden to say "God bless you" when someone sneezes.
44. They are forbidden to have a tattoo
45. They are forbidden to use pet foods made with blood or blood products
46. They are forbidden to donate blood or their organs
47. They are forbidden to read any anti-Jehovah's Witness material
48. They are forbidden to interpret the Bible without Watchtower literature to explain it
49. They are forbidden to wear any Christian jewelry
50. They are forbidden to support their country and be patriotic
51. They are forbidden to be involved in martial arts, boxing or wrestling
52. They are forbidden to join any clubs or sports teams
53. They are forbidden to participate in a school play
54. They are forbidden to use any tobacco products
55. They are forbidden to attend the funeral of an ex-Jehovah's Witness
56. They are forbidden to say "good luck"
57. They are forbidden to be a police officer
58. Women are forbidden pray in the presence of men without a hat or head covering
59. They are forbidden to play chess
60. They are forbidden to wear jade jewelry
61. They must not own wind-chimes (they are for chasing away evil spirits)
62. They must read and study Watchtower literature regularly
63. They must go from door to door weekly to gain converts
64. They must attend five meetings per week
65. Only officially approved sexual practices are allowed in marriage
66. Jehovah's Witness Kingdom Halls have no windows
67. If they witness another Jehovah's Witness breaking the rules they must report them to the elders to be interrogated
68. They are forbidden to take a blood transfusion
69. Men are forbidden wear beards
70. The Watchtower organization is God's prophet on earth today
71. Women must submit to the authority of Watchtower elders
72. They must forgo vacations to attend annual conventions

A great list you have presented, sir. Let me correct a few, if not corrected already. X) .
9) The number of Anointed Witness' has been changing around for the past century! My grandfather, father were both in it since the late 70's after '75, one of many false 'end time' predictions. I've studied through their past literature and come to find out they've been preaching this since their inception (1870's) Always with the same spiel, "The end is near! blah blah blah, only a few Anointed left in on the Earth" Don't be fooled they are liars. =. ((1 John 4:1 ESV / 79 helpful votes

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. ))

66.) Most to all Kingdom Halls I have ever visited had windows. I think you are thinking of the Mormons. Witness' tend to keep their connections to Masonry more veiled than that of Mormons.

If anyone would like to know more about their practices, don't hesitate to ask. It is a cult, can't stress that enough. It did a considerable amount of damage to my family. Still am struggling from the aftereffects but it is for the better.  

Ratsah

Beloved Soldier

8,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Cults, heresies, Pseudepigrapha and other religions

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers