Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Cults, heresies, Pseudepigrapha and other religions
Jehovah's Witnesses Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:28 pm
Hamul
Garland-Green
-Compiled by Paul & Pat Blizard
Former Third Generation Jehovah's Witnesses

Of all items listed, only three have been discontinued. All are listed,
to show the absurdity of Watchtower rules and the absolute control leadership
has over the lives of members once they join.

1. God is not a Trinity; the doctrine is inspired by the Devil
2. Jesus is not to be worshiped or prayed to-he is only an angel (a.k.a. Michael the archangel)
3. Jesus Christ is a "created being," who at one time did not exist
4. The Holy Spirit is not a person but is "God's active force" i.e. gravity, electricity etc.
5. Heaven is hope only for select Jehovah's Witnesses. The majority of JWs hope to live on "paradise earth"
6. Heaven is limited only to 144,000 Jehovah's Witnesses.There are only 9,105 alive today (2006 figures)
7. Jehovah's Witnesses are the only "true Christians." All churches and denominations are considered "false religion"
8. There is no Hell or eternal judgment ("Hell" is simply the grave)
9. There is no life after death except for the 144,000 Jehovah's Witnesses
10. Salvation is earned only by being a loyal Jehovah's Witness
11. Jesus second coming happened invisibly and secretly in 1914
12. The "first resurrection" occurred in 1918
13. Jesus did not rise from the dead bodily but as a spirit being
14. Jesus was equal to Adam (just a man)
15. Jesus could have sinned and failed in his mission
16. Jesus was not born the savior but became the savior at his baptism
17. God is not omnipresent
18. God is not omniscient
19. JWs are not sure of their salvation
20. All earthly governments are controlled by the Devil
21. The Holy Spirit is only available to select Jehovah's Witnesses
22. They are forbidden to serve in the military
23. They are forbidden to buy Girl Scout cookies
30. They are forbidden to celebrate any holidays (Christmas, Easter, etc.)
31. They are forbidden to celebrate their birthday
32. They are forbidden to run for or hold a political office
33. They are forbidden to vote in any political campaign
34. They are forbidden to serve on a jury
35. They are forbidden to own or wear a cross
36. They are forbidden to speak to former members who are shunned (disfellowshipped)
37. They are forbidden to accept Christmas gifts
38. They are forbidden to purchase Christian products (books, music, plaques, pictures etc.)
39. They are forbidden to read Christian literature
40. They are forbidden to have friends who are not Jehovah's Witnesses
41. They are forbidden to marry a non-Jehovah's Witness
42. They are forbidden to salute the flag, stand for the national anthem, or own a flag
43. They are forbidden to say "God bless you" when someone sneezes.
44. They are forbidden to have a tattoo
45. They are forbidden to use pet foods made with blood or blood products
46. They are forbidden to donate blood or their organs
47. They are forbidden to read any anti-Jehovah's Witness material
48. They are forbidden to interpret the Bible without Watchtower literature to explain it
49. They are forbidden to wear any Christian jewelry
50. They are forbidden to support their country and be patriotic
51. They are forbidden to be involved in martial arts, boxing or wrestling
52. They are forbidden to join any clubs or sports teams
53. They are forbidden to participate in a school play
54. They are forbidden to use any tobacco products
55. They are forbidden to attend the funeral of an ex-Jehovah's Witness
56. They are forbidden to say "good luck"
57. They are forbidden to be a police officer
58. Women are forbidden pray in the presence of men without a hat or head covering
59. They are forbidden to play chess
60. They are forbidden to wear jade jewelry
61. They must not own wind-chimes (they are for chasing away evil spirits)
62. They must read and study Watchtower literature regularly
63. They must go from door to door weekly to gain converts
64. They must attend five meetings per week
65. Only officially approved sexual practices are allowed in marriage
66. Jehovah's Witness Kingdom Halls have no windows
67. If they witness another Jehovah's Witness breaking the rules they must report them to the elders to be interrogated
68. They are forbidden to take a blood transfusion
69. Men are forbidden wear beards
70. The Watchtower organization is God's prophet on earth today
71. Women must submit to the authority of Watchtower elders
72. They must forgo vacations to attend annual conventions

A great list you have presented, sir. Let me correct a few, if not corrected already. X) .
9) The number of Anointed Witness' has been changing around for the past century! My grandfather, father were both in it since the late 70's after '75, one of many false 'end time' predictions. I've studied through their past literature and come to find out they've been preaching this since their inception (1870's) Always with the same spiel, "The end is near! blah blah blah, only a few Anointed left in on the Earth" Don't be fooled they are liars. =. ((1 John 4:1 ESV / 79 helpful votes

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. ))

66.) Most to all Kingdom Halls I have ever visited had windows. I think you are thinking of the Mormons. Witness' tend to keep their connections to Masonry more veiled than that of Mormons.

If anyone would like to know more about their practices, don't hesitate to ask. It is a cult, can't stress that enough. It did a considerable amount of damage to my family. Still am struggling from the aftereffects but it is for the better.
Thank you very much for your input, and the correction! =) There are positives to this... Having been deceived myself, and having been freed it is easier to see deception and talk about it. You are in a unique position when dealing with someone who is trapped in this type of concept, and you are able to point out the errors. If you want to I would be very honored if you shared your testimony, in the Testimony sub forum! It is always awesome hearing how people came to Christ.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:29 am
If anyone has suffered under this group or knows anyone who is recovering. Here are a few good links to help the healing process. http://www.jehovahswitnessrecovery.com (For mental recovery)

http://code.reddit.com/wiki/help/faqs/exjw (A very good site laying out everything you want to know in detail. Highly recommended )

http://jwpedia.org/wiki/Main_Page (Another in detail page to help clear any confusion with articles upon articles to back them up.)  

Ratsah

Beloved Soldier

8,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Ratsah

Beloved Soldier

8,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:54 am
Can say with certainty the group has a corrupted view on the 144,000 witness' in the Tribulation. They take it upon themselves to pervert the passage to pertain to only within their group, but it isn't so. If you read further in the verses you see God is referring to the tribes in Israel, 12k per tribe.

Video explains better. smile
Lamb and the 144,000 Correction Video

EDIT: A more in depth study of inserted/exerted JW's Bible  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:43 am
I visited a Jehovah's Witness church before by the invite of my American Sign Language (ASL) teacher. neutral Everyone was extremely nice, but I was aware of the Truth. I observed that they did not have a cross in sight at that church to represent Jesus' death on the cross for the sake of mankind. They also empathized on Jesus as a man, making no mention of a Godly side to him. I dearly love my ASL teacher, and she's awesome, but it's a shame that she's a Jehovah's Witness. Thank you for the thread, Garland. smile  

calwri

Devoted Friend

9,800 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:50 am
Hamul
If anyone has suffered under this group or knows anyone who is recovering. Here are a few good links to help the healing process. http://www.jehovahswitnessrecovery.com (For mental recovery)

http://code.reddit.com/wiki/help/faqs/exjw (A very good site laying out everything you want to know in detail. Highly recommended )

http://jwpedia.org/wiki/Main_Page (Another in detail page to help clear any confusion with articles upon articles to back them up.)

Thank you for providing these. ^^  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:26 pm
The Jehovah Witness belief about the Bible is that it is the Word of God. They have produced their own translation of the Bible, in which many verses have been changed to support their beliefs. It is called the NEW WORLD TRANSLATION. Jehovah's Witnesses claim that the New World Translation (NWT) Bible is the "work of competent scholars." Below is the list of errors in NWT.
John 8:58
NWT- "Jesus said to them: "Most truly I say to you, Before Abraham came into existence, I have been"".
Literal Greek Text- "Said to them Jesus Amen amen I am saying to you Before Abraham to become I Am."
Here Notice the change the Greek words ego eimi (I AM) into I have been?
John 17:3
NWT- "This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ."
Literal Greek Text- "This but is the everlasting life in order that they may be knowing you the only true God and whom you sent forth Jesus Christ."
Notice the change? "They may be knowing you" has been translated into the NWT as, "taking in knowledge of you".
3Hebrews 12:22-23
NWT- "But you have approached a Mount Zion and a city of [the] living God, heavenly Jerusalem, and myriads of angels, in general assembly, and the congregation of the firstborn who have been enrolled in the heavens, and God the Judge of all, and the spiritual lives of righteous ones who have been made perfect."
Let's look at the end of v. 23 in the Greek:
Literal Greek Text- "....and to spirits of righteous (ones) having been perfected...."
Notice the change here paraphrased the word "spirits" from the Greek text into "spiritual lives" in the NWT?
Philippians 2:9
NWT- "For this very reason also God exalted him to a superior position and kindly gave him the name that is above every [other] name...."
Literal Greek Text- "through which also the God him put high up over, and he graciously gave to him the name the over every name...."
Why has the Watchtower inserted the word "other" in the NWT?
5Colossians 2:9
NWT- "....because it is in him that all the fullness of the divine quality dwells bodily."
Literal Greek Text- "....because in him is dwelling down all the fullness of the divinity bodily"
Why has the Watchtower translated the word divinity as divine quality?
John 1:1
NWT- "In [the] beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god."
Literal Greek Text- " In beginning was the Word, and the Word was toward the God, and god was the Word."
Of all the scriptures in the NWT, this one in particular makes Christians cringe the most. The difference is obvious. Notice that their is no "a" in the Greek text before the last rendering of "god". It has been inserted into the NWT. Why?
Matthew 25:46
NWT- "And these will depart into everlasting cutting-off, but the righteous ones into everlasting life."
Literal Greek Text- "And will go off these into lopping off everlasting, but the righteous (ones) into life everlasting."
Notice that the old English words "lopping off" in the Greek text have been translated as "cutting-off" in the NWT. Why haven't they translated the words "lopping off" into "punishment" as do all reputable bible translations available today?
Acts 4:21
NWT- "....they released them, since they did not find any ground on which to punish them...."
Literal Greek Text- ....they released them, nothing finding the how they might lop off them...."
How did the NWT render the words "lop off" in this verse? PUNISH!
Acts 11:14
NWT- "....and he will speak those things to you by which you and all your household may get saved."
Literal Greek Text- "....who will speak sayings toward you in which will be saved you and all the house of you."
Why has "will be saved" been translated into "may get saved"?
Matthew 17:21 -- COMPLETELY removed. What are the Jehovah's Witness missing? "Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting."
Matthew 18:11 -- COMPLETELY removed. What are the Jehovah's Witness missing? "For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost."
Matthew 23:14 -- COMPLETELY removed. What arethe Jehovah's Witness missing? "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation."
Mark 7:16 -- COMPLETELY removed. What are the Jehovah's Witness missing? "If any man have ears to hear, let him hear."
Mark 9:44 -- COMPLETELY removed. What are the Jehovah's Witness missing? "Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched."
Mark 9:46 -- COMPLETELY removed. What are the Jehovah's Witness missing? "Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched."
Mark 11:26 -- COMPLETELY removed. What are the Jehovah's Witness missing? "But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses."
Mark 15:28 -- COMPLETELY removed. What are the Jehovah's Witness missing? "And the scripture was fulfilled, which saith, And he was numbered with the transgressors."
Mark 16:9-20 (all 12 verses) -- They separated the last 12 verses of Mark from the main text in an appendix (of sorts) with this detracting statement: "Some late manuscripts and versions contain a short conclusion after Mark 16:8, as follows] (New World Translation, Revised 1984 edition)
Luke 1:28 - Vitally important phrase COMPLETELY removed. "blessed art thou among women"
Luke 17:36 -- COMPLETELY removed. What are the Jehovah's Witness missing? "Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left."
Luke 23:17 -- COMPLETELY removed. What are the Jehovah's Witness missing? "(For of necessity he must release one unto them at the feast.)"
John 5:4 -- COMPLETELY removed. What are the Jehovah's Witness missing? "For an angel went down at a certain season into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had."
Jn. 7:53- 8:11 (all 12 verses) -- They separated the last 12 verses of Mark from the main text and place it at the bottom of the page in a appendix (of sorts) with this detracting statement: "Manuscripts NBSYS omit verses 53 to chapter 8, verse 11, which read ( with some variations in the various Greek texts and versions) as follows:"
Acts 8:37 -- COMPLETELY removed. What are the Jehovah's Witness missing? "And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God."
Acts 15:34 -- COMPLETELY removed. What are the Jehovah's Witness missing? "Notwithstanding it pleased Silas to abide there still."
Act 24:6-8 -- Vitally important phrases (from verses 6,8.) and all of verse 7 COMPLETELY removed. "and would have judged according to our law. But the chief captain Sysias came upon us, and with great violence took him away out of our hands, commanding his accusers to come unto thee:"
Acts 28:29 -- COMPLETELY removed. What are the Jehovah's Witness missing? "And when he had said these words, the Jews departed, and had great reasoning among themselves."
Romans 16:24 -- COMPLETELY removed. What are the Jehovah's Witness missing? "The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen."
Colossians 1:2 -- Important phrase COMPLETELY removed. "and the Lord Jesus Christ"
Colossians 2:2 -- Important phrase COMPLETELY removed. "and of the Father, and"
I John 5:13 -- Vitally important phrase COMPLETELY removed. "and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God"
Rev 1:11 -- Vitally important phrase COMPLETELY removed. "I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and,"
Rev 2:15 -- important phrase COMPLETELY removed "which thing I hate"
Rev 21:24 -- Important phrase COMPLETELY removed. "of them which are saved"
I John 5:7 -- Vitally important phrase COMPLETELY removed. In the Jehovah's Witness "New World Translation" it says,
"For there are three witness bearers,"
What are the NWT readers missing? What does the real Bible say?
"For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one."
This is one of the GREATEST verses testifying of the trinity. That is why the Jehovah's Witnesses leave it out.
List of Mistranslated Verses in the Christian Greek Scriptures (New Testament) of Jehovah's Witnesses
The Greek word "Kurios" meaning "Lord" is mistranslated as "Jehovah" or "Jehovah's."
Matthew 22:44; 23:39; 23:39; 27:10
Mark 5:19; 12:29; 12:30; 12:36; 13:20
Luke 1:25; 1:28; 1:32; 1:58; 1:68; 2:15; 20:42
Acts 2:34; 2:39; 2:47; 3:22; 7:33; 7:49; 12:11; 12:17; 13:47
Romans 4:8; 9:28; 9:29; 12:19; 14:11;
1 Corinthians 1:31; 3:20; 4:4; 4:19; 7:17; 14:21; 16:7
2 Corinthians 6:17; 6:18; 10:18
Colossians 3:13
1 Thessalonians 4:6
2 Timothy 1:18; 2:19 (twice); 4:14
Hebrews 7:21; 8:2; 8:8; 8:9; 8:10; 10:16; 10:30; 12:6; 13:6
James 4:15; 5:15
2 Peter 2:9; 3:9
Jude 5, 9, 14
Revelation 1:8; 4:11; 18:8; 19:6; 21:22; 22:5; 22:6
Greek word "Kurie" meaning "Lord" is mistranslated as Jehovah."
John 12:38
Acts 1:24; 4:29; 7:60
Romans 10:16; 11:3; 14:6 (three times); 14:8 (three times)
Revelation 15:4; 16:7
The Greek word "Kuriou" meaning "of Lord" or "of Lord's" is mistranslated as "Jehovah" or "Jehovah's."
Matthew 1:20; 1:22; 1:24; 2:13, 2:15; 2:19; 3:3; 21:24; 28:2
Mark 1:3; 11:9; 12:11
Luke 1:6; 1:9; 1:15; 1:45; 1:66; 1:76; 2:9 (twice); 2:23; 2:24; 2:26; 2:39; 3:4; 4:18; 4:19; 5:17; 13:35; 19:38
John 1:11; 1:23; 1:38; 12:13; 12:38

~Continue next Post...~  

Ratsah

Beloved Soldier

8,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Ratsah

Beloved Soldier

8,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:27 pm
Acts 2:20; 2:21; 3:19; 4:26; 5:9; 5:19; 7:31; 8:22; 8:25; 8:26; 8:39; 9:31; 10:33; 11:21; 12:7; 12:23; 12:24; 13:10; 13:11; 13:12; 13:49; 15:35; 15:36; 15:40; 18:25; 19:20
Romans 10:13; 11:34
1 Corinthians 10:21; 10:26; 11:32; 16:10
2 Corinthians 3:17 (twice) 3:18 (twice); 8:21
Ephesians 5:17; 6:4; 6:8
Colossians 1:10; 3:24
1 Thessalonians 1:8; 4:15; 5:2
2 Thessalonians 2:2; 2:13; 3:1
Hebrews 12:5
James 1:7; 4:10; 5:4; 5:10; 5:11 (twice); 5:14
1 Peter 1:25; 3:12
2 Peter 3:10
The Greek word "Kurion" meaning "Lord" is mistranslated as "Jehovah."
Matthew 4:7; 4:10; 22:37
Luke 1:16; 1:46; 4:8; 4:12; 10:27; 30:37
Acts 2:25; 8:24; 15:17
Romans 15:11
1 Corinthians 10:9; 10:22
2 Corinthians 3:16
Colossians 3:23
Hebrews 8:11
James 3:9
The Greek word "Kurio" meaning "Lord" is mistranslated as "Jehovah."
Matthew 5:33
Luke 1:17; 2:22; 2:23
Acts 13:2; 14:3; 14:23; 16:15
Romans 12:11; 14:4
1 Corinthians 2:16
2 Corinthians 10:17
Ephesians 2:21; 5:19; 6:7
Colossians 3:22
Hebrews 8:11
James 3:9
The Greek word "Theos" meaning "God" is mistranslated as "Jehovah."
Hebrews 2:13
Revelation 4:8
The Greek word "Theou" meaning "of God" or "of God's" is mistranslated as "Jehovah's."
Matthew 4:4
John 6:45
Acts 13:44; 13:48; 16:32; 18:21
James 2:23
2 Peter 3:12
The Greek word "Theon" meaning "God" is mistranslated as "Jehovah."
Acts 16:14
The Greek word "Theo" meaning "God" is mistranslated as "Jehovah".
Romans 4:3
Galatians 3:6
Colossians 3:16
James 2:23
The Greek word "en" meaning "in" is paraphrased as "in union with" to support the Watchtower teaching that Christians support the cause of Christ, but do not have Christ dwelling within them.
Matthew 10:32 (twice)
Luke 12:8 (twice)
John 6:56; 10:38; 14:10 (three times); 14:11 (twice); 14:20 (three times); 15:4 (three times); 15:5 (twice); 15:6; 15:7; 17:21 (Three times); 17:26
Romans 8:1; 8:2; 8:10; 12:5; 16:7;
1 Corinthians 1:2; 1:30; 15:18; 16:24
2 Corinthians 5:17; 12:2; 13:5
Galatians 1:22; 2:4; 2:20; 3:28; 5:10
Ephesians 1:1; 1:3; 1:4; 1:11; 2:6; 2:7; 2:10; 2:13; 2:15; 2:21; 2:22; 3:6; 6:1
Philippians 1:1; 3:9; 4:21
Colossians 1:22; 1:27; 1:28; 2:6; 3:3
1 Thessalonians 4:6
2 Timothy 1:1; 2:10; 3:15
Philemon :23
1 Peter 5:10; 5:14
1 John 1:5; 2:5; 2:6; 2:24; 2:27; 2:28; 3:6; 3:24 (three times)
1 John 4:4 (twice). 4:13 (twice); 4:15 (twice); 4:16 (twice); 5:20
Revelation 14:13
The English words "exercise," "exercising," "exercised," "exercises" are added with no basis in the Greek text. This term is added to support the Watchtower doctrine of works being added to faith to complete the salvation process.
Mark 5:36
John 1:12; 3:16, 18, 36; 6:29, 35; 7:5; 11:25, 36; 12:36; 14:1 (twice); 14:12; 16:9
Romans 4:3; 10:4, 9, 10
2 Corinthians 4:13 (twice)
Galatians 3:22
2 Thessalonians 1:10
Hebrews 4:3
1 Peter 1:8; 2:6
The Greek word "kolasis" is translated "cutting-off" instead of "punishment" to support the Watchtower's belief in annihilation and the rejection of an eternal place of torment called "hell."
Matthew 25:46
The Greek words "kai theos en ho logos" are mistranslated as "the Word was a god," instead of "the Word was God." This is a distortion of the text as the word "a" is not in the Greek, but was added by the New World Translators to make the Word (Jesus) "a" second "god" who is separate from God the Father.
John 1:1
The Greek words "ego eimi" meaning "I am" are mistranslated as "I have been" to obscure the connection between Jesus being the "I Am" Jehovah God of Exodus 3:14.
John 8:58
The word "me" is omitted in "ask Me anything" to support the Watchtower claim that Jesus is not worthy to receive prayer.
John 14:14
The Greek word "ginoskosin" meaning "to know, intimately" is mistranslated as "taking in knowledge of" to support the Watchtower doctrine that accurate knowledge is necessary for eternal life. Changing this translation from "know You" (as all other Bible translations have it) to "taking in knowledge of You" shifts the focus from a personal relationship with God to a mere intellectual study of God to gain eternal life.
John 17:3
The English word "son" in "blood of his own [son]" is added in brackets without any support in the Greek text. This demonstrates the length that the Watchtower goes to deny that Jesus is the God who shed His own blood for us.
Acts 20:28
The Greek phrase, "he petra de en ho Kristos" meaning "and the rock was Christ" is mistranslated as "and that rock mass meant the Christ". Again, this shifts the focus from Jesus being the Jehovah God, Rock of Israel (Isaiah 30:29).
1 Corinthians 10:4
In the 1984 edition of the New World Translation, the English word "other" is added in brackets to indicate that the word does not occur in the Greek text. The translators of the New World Translation added the word "other" in "gave him the name that is above every [other] name" to support the Watchtower teaching that the name "Jehovah" is superior to the name "Jesus." Only in recent editions of the New World Translation do we see the word inserted with brackets surrounding it. All editions from 1950 to 1981 had "other" added without brackets making it seem as if this word is in the original Greek text. On page 27 of the February 1, 1992 Watchtower magazine, we again see Philippians 2:9 being quoted without the brackets being used around the word "other." This again demonstrates the deep rooted bias of the Watchtower Society against Jesus possessing a name equal and superior to name "Jehovah."
Philippians 2:9
Translation bias against the eternal nature of Jesus Christ as Creator God is clearly seen in the New World Translation's insertion of the word "other" in reference to Jesus' work in creation. By adding the word "other" to "all things" so that it reads "by means of him all [other] things were made to exist," the Watchtower is able to justify its claim that Jehovah God created Jesus first and then used Jesus as His creative agent for the rest of creation. However, Scripture proclaims that Jesus is the Creator of "all things," for He has always existed as the uncreated, "everlasting father" --possessor of eternity (Isaiah 9:6). While early editions of the New World Translation prior to the 1961 edition inserted the word "other" without brackets so that one could not tell the word is not in the original Greek, the 1961 edition and all others following it are more honest by enclosing the word in brackets. However, we again see translation bias against the Deity of Jesus Christ reoccurring in Watchtower literature on pages 20 and 21 of the February 1, 1992 issue of The Watchtower where the Watchtower's insertion of "other" in Colossians 1:16 is again quoted without the brackets.
Colossians 1:16, 17, 20
The Greek word "Theotetos" meaning "Godship, Deity, Godhead" is mistranslated as "divine quality" to detract from the full Deity of God being attributed to Christ in this passage.
Colossians 2:9
The Greek phrase "Theou kai soteros emon" meaning "God and Savior of us" or "our God and Savior" is mistranslated as "god and of [the] Savior of us". This word "the," being inserted in brackets with no basis in the Greek text is yet another attempt of NWT translators to separate Christ from being God.
Titus 2:13
The Greek words "pneumaton" and "pneumas" meaning "spirits" is mistranslated as "spiritual life" and "spiritual lives" to fit with the Watchtower doctrine that denies the existence of the human "spirit" that lives on past death.
Hebrews 12:9, 23
Final warning on adding or Removing from the word of God: Revelation 22:18-19 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:44 am
Hamul

Wow... That is a lot of scripture twisting. sad
How incredibly sad. If it is not willful ignorance,
on the part of the NWT translators, then nothing is.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Virdis Bruja

Fashionable Member

5,375 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:43 pm
I knew a person once. His father said he was also a JW however he didn't follow his religion fully. He gave gifts the day after birthdays, after christmas, he called them "I love you" presents. He owned crosses in his home and quite a few other things. I thank god I was born in a baptist family.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:17 pm
Hamul
Can say with certainty the group has a corrupted view on the 144,000 witness' in the Tribulation. They take it upon themselves to pervert the passage to pertain to only within their group, but it isn't so. If you read further in the verses you see God is referring to the tribes in Israel, 12k per tribe.

The JWs view of the 144K is their organizational higher-ups, but that video you shared is a typical Dispensational view of the 144,000. Not everyone holds that view of Revelation, either.

=======

Four Views of Revelation:
http://www.probe.org/site/c.fdKEIMNsEoG/b.5110361/

From the conclusion of the above article:

"The book of Revelation is a fascinating book, and the debate regarding its interpretation will continue. Despite our various views, there are some common threads upon which Christians agree.{21} All views believe that God is sovereign and in charge of all that occurs in history and its ultimate conclusion. Except for full preterism and some forms of idealism, all believe in the physical second coming of Christ. All views believe in the resurrection from the dead. All believe there will be a future judgment. All believe in an eternal state in which believers will be with God, and unbelievers will be separated from Him. All agree upon the importance of the study of prophecy and its edification for the body of Christ.

Unfortunately, the debate among Christians has often been harsh and hostile. It is my hope that the debate would continue in a cordial, respectful manner which will challenge every believer to accurately study and interpret the Word. We all await the return of our Lord and together with the saints of all ages say, “Amen, come Lord Jesus!” (Rev. 22:20)"

======

This is certainly an area where many good Christians can and do disagree. One's general view of Eschatology is not an essential doctrinal position linked to salvation, unless it is as twisted as that of the JWs  

SolaceSerenitySerendipity

Gracious Flatterer

6,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Flatterer 200

Ratsah

Beloved Soldier

8,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:34 pm
SolaceSerenitySerendipity
Hamul

The JWs view of the 144K is their organizational higher-ups, but that video you shared is a typical Dispensational view of the 144,000. Not everyone holds that view of Revelation, either.

=======

Four Views of Revelation:
http://www.probe.org/site/c.fdKEIMNsEoG/b.5110361/

From the conclusion of the above article:

"The book of Revelation is a fascinating book, and the debate regarding its interpretation will continue. Despite our various views, there are some common threads upon which Christians agree.{21} All views believe that God is sovereign and in charge of all that occurs in history and its ultimate conclusion. Except for full preterism and some forms of idealism, all believe in the physical second coming of Christ. All views believe in the resurrection from the dead. All believe there will be a future judgment. All believe in an eternal state in which believers will be with God, and unbelievers will be separated from Him. All agree upon the importance of the study of prophecy and its edification for the body of Christ.

Unfortunately, the debate among Christians has often been harsh and hostile. It is my hope that the debate would continue in a cordial, respectful manner which will challenge every believer to accurately study and interpret the Word. We all await the return of our Lord and together with the saints of all ages say, “Amen, come Lord Jesus!” (Rev. 22:20)"

======

This is certainly an area where many good Christians can and do disagree. One's general view of Eschatology is not an essential doctrinal position linked to salvation, unless it is as twisted as that of the JWs

Ha, yes I agree. The video explained it better and wasn't tied to my previous comment about the 144k being an upper elite of the organization. Sorry for the confusion. razz  
Cults, heresies, Pseudepigrapha and other religions

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff