Submit

Sakura_Moonlight2421

Sparkly Genius

7,000 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:25 am
confused Is it possible for you to get fired if you were late two time? Not the super late but about 13 minutes late? I'm volunteering my time to teach senior citizens how to use the computer with my cousin. She's a little high strung and for this and last Saturday she's gotten mad at me for being late {apparently}. She never told me that I had to be in the room by 8:30 am. So today I came in 26 minutes early for the 9:00 am class, and her mother was also there and she's just as bad if not worse. She scolded me in front of one of the students saying that I was late and that when you work you can't be late. {Which I already know but does that really count for volunteering when I sacrificed my weekend?} She went on a rant on how if she wasn't at school at 6:30 am more than once the principal can fire her.

I was thinking to myself, "can they really do that to an Elementary school teacher?" But anyway she me chewed out. I could feel the tears welling up since I'm not used to being scolded by someone outside of my immediate family. {It ruined my start to the day and I've been sort of mopping.} I'm not sure what to do since the coordinator whom organizes the classes doesn't like my cousin's mother there since she has an attitude. I'm thinking of texting the coordinator but I hate causing problems within the family but I feel as though I didn't need to be scolded publicly when I'm 22 and know better. {I also need to mention that since my cousin does so many things during the summer the scheduled is molded around what's convent for her. So I've been struggling to keep up with the ever changing schedule from last month.}  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:44 am
Well, it certainly wasn't right for your cousin to scold you in front of students, as she should know better being a teacher herself. However, as to being fired for being late two times in regards to being a teacher, while she might have been exaggerating to make a point, it really depends on what it says within her teaching contract about punctuality and professionalism. It's really not smiled upon in any profession to be late unless there is a good reason and the person called ahead. Even in some professions that is still not good in their eyes. As for teaching, the students are expected to be in class on time and if not are marked tardy. In some places, if they get a certain amount of tardies (could be as little as two or as much as eight or more), it is considered an absence. In some schools the students might even get in school suspension or detention for tardies. It just really depends on the school and administration.

For your problem at hand, I would speak to your cousin outside of the volunteer place. Once you have both calmed down, of course, smile . Talk to her about what she is feeling and how what she did made you feel. I don't know your cousin, but I can't imagine she meant to hurt your feelings. Let her know that you would like to come back and help her again and that you need to know the full schedule, as much as she knows it, ahead of time and her expectations or the location's expectations of the teachers/helpers. 3nodding

Hope that helps, lovey. emotion_hug

damecharlie

Versatile Lunatic

Sakura_Moonlight2421

Sparkly Genius

7,000 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:31 pm
damecharlie
Well, it certainly wasn't right for your cousin to scold you in front of students, as she should know better being a teacher herself. However, as to being fired for being late two times in regards to being a teacher, while she might have been exaggerating to make a point, it really depends on what it says within her teaching contract about punctuality and professionalism. It's really not smiled upon in any profession to be late unless there is a good reason and the person called ahead. Even in some professions that is still not good in their eyes. As for teaching, the students are expected to be in class on time and if not are marked tardy. In some places, if they get a certain amount of tardies (could be as little as two or as much as eight or more), it is considered an absence. In some schools the students might even get in school suspension or detention for tardies. It just really depends on the school and administration.

For your problem at hand, I would speak to your cousin outside of the volunteer place. Once you have both calmed down, of course, smile . Talk to her about what she is feeling and how what she did made you feel. I don't know your cousin, but I can't imagine she meant to hurt your feelings. Let her know that you would like to come back and help her again and that you need to know the full schedule, as much as she knows it, ahead of time and her expectations or the location's expectations of the teachers/helpers. 3nodding

Hope that helps, lovey. emotion_hug

emotion_hug Thanks you Dame. I'll try and talk to her outside that place. Unfortunatelly she is like that all the time. She'll do that reguardless if you're family or not.  
RL (Real Life) General Discussions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games