Submit

Cuwen

Questionable Inquisitor

7,425 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:56 am
So, through a looong OoC conversation in an RP thread here, I discovered that there are quite a few Earthbound fans here in Geezerville! That's awesome! Earthbound is one of my favorite games, if not my absolute favorite. So, I thought we could all share our favorite parts about the game in this thread. I'd also just love to know who all has played the game. It's been so hard up until now to even find people who knew about the game!

My favorite areas in the game are Ness' home village with the arcade and Fourside because it has the kickass 4-story department store as well as the theater!

It's kind of funny. My cousin and I started playing the game when I was around 6 or 7 and we could only find it to rent in our local hardware store. We live in a small area, and Amazon didn't exist at that time, so it was hard finding a place to buy it. We eventually did, though. I have the manual and the cartridge itself is rattling slightly because I've played it so often (4-5 full play throughs). I wish I had kept the box, though!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:24 pm
This should actually be moved to the video game forum, but anyhow...

I wish I had the cartridge crying It was more fun to play that way than with an emulator, and last I knew, the emulator didn't have the sounds quite right for some things.

I was probably 16 or 17 when I first played it? Mir had lent me her cartridge, which she was in turn borrowing from a friend of her brother. I eventually had to give it back and then when things went sour between her brother and his friend, he took the game back even though he had previously told her she could have it. Probably realized its rarity would make it worth something later.

I think the super plush teddy bears actually weren't sold until you reached Summers. I loaded up on those things... even took a bunch with me into the battle against Giygas. I always had this goal of beating the game with at least one bear left rofl

It took me a while to realize that one of Paula's abilities actually cured heatstroke stressed When I finally did, it was so much easier to do desert exploration since I didn't have to take up my entire inventory with wet towels for it.

Moonside is a pain in the a**. All the things you have to fight there are a b***h for one reason or another. Especially those friggin' fire hydrants scream

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

lady ayami chan

Virtuous Saint

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:36 am
I asked Sayoami how much she sold hers for
she needed money when she moved
she got $80 for it at the time

*about 5 years ago*
She still wishes she had it,
especially because it's worth so much more now.
Such a fun game

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:51 am
There's a video game forum here?? stressed Didn't know that. Any mod can move this thread over there at anytime if they want. smile I think I might have to start spending some time over in that forum. lol.

I think the cartridge sells for around $170 now. Wow! When I told my cousin this, the one who played the game with me and then bought it for me, she asked me where it was so we could sell it. I was like, hell no!!! I still play that game! lol!! I didn't get a chance to play it last night, though, like I had hoped because we were cutting up peaches all night long! sad

I wish I had had another copy of the game that I could have left in the original packaging. It's worth $2,000 now!!!! Who knew, though? If I had $2,000 I could blow on a game right now, I'd get it and save it for years while the price went up. Any money I get, though, goes to paying off my car first and then my student loans. Ah well. And my luck, I wouldn't be able to leave it alone. I'd probably bust it open and play it. rofl Even the small box the cartridge came in is worth $10!! Just for the empty box!

Summers? That could be. I thought it was the Fourside department store, but you're probably right. Your memory is a lot better than mine. lol. And Summers did have a lot of the expensive supplies. I didn't buy many of the bears b/c they were so expensive!

Yeah, once Paula learned the heatstroke thing, the desert became one of my favorite places. I loved reuniting the pearls and talking to the dinosaur bones. lol!

Moonside!!! That's what it was called. The fire hydrants sucked, but the worst for me were the taxi cabs. Whenever they revved up and actually hit you, it could nearly kill you! Luckily they missed a lot, but when they didn't.... those were my least favorite.

Ayami, that's why I don't want to sell mine. I know I'd regret it and want to play it again. It just wouldn't be the same with an emulator. Plus, it just brings back too many good memories to play something that old from my childhood and to look back through the manual. I wish games automatically came with manuals now!

I found out that the original selling price for the package was around $100 back then, not the $50 like I originally thought. I can't wait til I have a free moment and can download that ROM from the link Tes provided in EE on my laptop at home! biggrin  

Cuwen

Questionable Inquisitor

7,425 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Tycoon 200

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:09 am
The site actually doesn't have the ROM. You're on your own for finding that, it says, since ROMs are technically illegal. emotion_awesome You can't buy the game in English, though. It was only sold in Japan because Earthbound did so poorly when it was sold worldwide.

All the site has is a patch to translate the ROM into English, some game guides, as well as links to emulators and other Earthbound/Mother related stuff. I use visual boy advanced. I probably should check on my version and see if there's a newer one before I play that game again. It's definitely a good game, even if I liked Earthbound better. And there's probably things I missed because I only played it through once.

I think the first time I looked for Earthbound on eBay, it was going for around $50, and that was probably back in 2004 or something. Pretty sure that was for a used copy without the box.

And they weren't pearls! They were sesame seeds!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:23 am
ThisEmptySoul

Ah! I didn't know which way it was b/c I hadn't had a chance to check out the link, yet, since I wasn't even at home last night. Stupid peaches... But I know that sometimes a translation is done and put into a ROM itself, and sometimes the translation is delivered via a patch. I haven't found a good patch for either Japanese Mother games, yet. I can't wait to try out the one in that link! It sounds like a good site with the guides and links to other Earthbound stuff.

And did you know that Saturn Valley Online is working on an Earthbound MMORPG???? Freaking awesome!! It looks like it's going to be the American Earthbound game with the ability to play it with other users.

On Amazon, one girl is trying to sell her brand new Earthbound game with the packaging and everything for $20,000! LOL!! Good luck. Usually it's ebay that's ridiculously priced. This is the first time I've seen it on Amazon.

That's right!!! They were sesame seeds. I loved those things. smile I always wished I could put them together in the sand.  

Cuwen

Questionable Inquisitor

7,425 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Tycoon 200

Nei1

Toxic Punk

24,350 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Toy Drive Tycoon 400
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:05 pm
I still have it and the guide book somewhere in storage. Earthbound was one of my top games growing up.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:12 pm
There is currently no English translation patch for Mother 2 {Earthbound in the U.S.}, I've been searching for a long time but from what I gather the team that attempted to translate it couldn't do it or gave up. I have them in my laptop for the GBA.  

Sakura_Moonlight2421

Sparkly Genius

7,000 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250

Nei1

Toxic Punk

24,350 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Toy Drive Tycoon 400
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:17 pm
Small Youtube video about Earthbound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ4AictvRdU  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:00 am
No!!! I was afraid there would still be no translation. sad It makes you wonder what has made it so hard to translate compared to other games.

Awesome, Nei!! Thanks! smile Earthbound still is one of my top games. lol.  

Cuwen

Questionable Inquisitor

7,425 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Tycoon 200

MiroIsBored

Adorable Cleric

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:57 pm
ThisEmptySoul
Mir had lent me her cartridge, which she was in turn borrowing from a friend of her brother. I eventually had to give it back and then when things went sour between her brother and his friend, he took the game back even though he had previously told her she could have it. Probably realized its rarity would make it worth something later.
Miro thinks he just did it out of spite mad Miro doesn't really know what happened between he and her brother, but he didn't even like the game gonk He thought it was "one of the lamest games ever" and that's why he initially told Miro she could have it since she liked it so much and he didn't care for it.

Miro was the only one in her house that really liked it sweatdrop Both of her brothers had played it and they thought parts of it were funny, but overall they didn't like it much. They're crazyheads for not liking it gonk

One time, Miro's brother was playing it and he got the Sword of Kings for Poo eek Miro always tries so hard to get that until she's tired of killing Starman Sr. crying And then he didn't even finish off the game after he got it gonk

Miro's favorite part is Magicant blaugh She likes playing Ness walking around with bedhead and PJs whee She even avoids getting dressed at the beginning of the game when the meteor comes down and goes out to see it in PJs ninja Miro also gets lots and lots of magic pudding while in Magicant because Miro doesn't think it can be gotten anywhere else.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:13 am
Cuwen
No!!! I was afraid there would still be no translation. sad It makes you wonder what has made it so hard to translate compared to other games.

Awesome, Nei!! Thanks! smile Earthbound still is one of my top games. lol.
It's not hard, it's just all the damn red tape preventing the game to be translated and coming over.  

Nei1

Toxic Punk

24,350 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Toy Drive Tycoon 400
  • Married 100

Kaori Silnaak

Fashionable Explorer

6,575 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:00 am
My only exposure to Earthbound was through Super Smash Brothers. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:14 am
MiroIsBored
Miro thinks he just did it out of spite mad Miro doesn't really know what happened between he and her brother, but he didn't even like the game gonk He thought it was "one of the lamest games ever" and that's why he initially told Miro she could have it since she liked it so much and he didn't care for it.

Miro was the only one in her house that really liked it sweatdrop Both of her brothers had played it and they thought parts of it were funny, but overall they didn't like it much. They're crazyheads for not liking it gonk

One time, Miro's brother was playing it and he got the Sword of Kings for Poo eek Miro always tries so hard to get that until she's tired of killing Starman Sr. crying And then he didn't even finish off the game after he got it gonk

Miro's favorite part is Magicant blaugh She likes playing Ness walking around with bedhead and PJs whee She even avoids getting dressed at the beginning of the game when the meteor comes down and goes out to see it in PJs ninja Miro also gets lots and lots of magic pudding while in Magicant because Miro doesn't think it can be gotten anywhere else.

*clutches heart at hearing such a tragic story* WHAAA?? He thought it was one of the lamest games?! And then he took it back later after he told you you could have it and he didn't even like it?!

*grabs pitchfork and lighted torch* Let's go find him! This is just so wrong on so many levels! Only true Earthbound fans should have the game since it's rare, and Miro is a fan! She should have it back. *nods*

Magicant??? Wow... I had a hard time remembering that place, and even when I looked it up and read about it, it didn't seem that familiar. Was it at all optional? You'd think I'd remember it... I sort of do, almost like I only played through it once, but I know I've finished the game several times.

I want magic pudding!! yum_puddi And I got the Sword of Kings a few times b/c I had to fight Starmen so often to level up at that area.

Nei, what red tape is there? Someone needs to bring a giant pair of scissors to cut through it!! scream scream

Kai, you should at least try it on emulator! It's not as good, but I think you'd love the game. You and I have very similar tastes in games, and with what you like, I think you'd absolutely love it. I'll look for a ROM and send the link to you.  

Cuwen

Questionable Inquisitor

7,425 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Tycoon 200

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:35 am
I -think- it's a required part of the game. I at least always passed through there. You have to get a magic cake from some lady at that club in Summers where they just have that rock on the stage, and once you eat the magic cake, everything goes all wonky and you end up in Magicant.

I feel that the "magic cake" is kind of like "special brownies" emotion_awesome

Non-Gaia Websites Online Gaming & Video Games

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces