Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Questions & Answers
How to be humble?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

911child

Blessed Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:41 pm
This is a question i ask myself. Im not to sure how to show God i am humbled, and i'd love to figure it out. I have looked it up, and i dont usually fully understand. I'd love some assistance and i will be grateful if you help. God Bless~  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:44 pm
God knows you better than you know yourself, He knows where your heart is, humble or not, you don't need to "show" Him.

I think this attitude of humility is something that we have to continually check ourselves on. It's knowing that we are completely and utterly dependent on God and not ourselves, and that is where our strength comes from. I say we have to continually check ourselves on it as it's not normal for us to not rely on ourselves, to ALWAYS remember to trust God for our strength...we can start to depend on our own strength, our job as our provider, from another person for our up-lifting, when seeking God should be our first response.

But sadly, it's so easy to start to trust in what we see, what we know to be true in the natural world and seeing into the spiritual world isn't as clear to us. It's so easy to creep back into depending on ourselves...I don't think it matters HOW long you have known God, life happens and can sometimes distract us, or we get lulled into complacence in an area and just lose the intentional focus on God. It isn't on purpose. Growth has to be intentional though, it doesn't happen on it's own.

I think wondering about if you are humble is a sign of humility though, I think those who think they ARE humble already aren't!  

Aoife

Beloved Worshipper

911child

Blessed Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:54 pm
Aoife
God knows you better than you know yourself, He knows where your heart is, humble or not, you don't need to "show" Him.

I think this attitude of humility is something that we have to continually check ourselves on. It's knowing that we are completely and utterly dependent on God and not ourselves, and that is where our strength comes from. I say we have to continually check ourselves on it as it's not normal for us to not rely on ourselves, to ALWAYS remember to trust God for our strength...we can start to depend on our own strength, our job as our provider, from another person for our up-lifting, when seeking God should be our first response.

But sadly, it's so easy to start to trust in what we see, what we know to be true in the natural world and seeing into the spiritual world isn't as clear to us. It's so easy to creep back into depending on ourselves...I don't think it matters HOW long you have known God, life happens and can sometimes distract us, or we get lulled into complacence in an area and just lose the intentional focus on God. It isn't on purpose. Growth has to be intentional though, it doesn't happen on it's own.

I think wondering about if you are humble is a sign of humility though, I think those who think they ARE humble already aren't!

^_^ thanks for replying, and i agree God does know me better then i know myself. Like i said i have always wondered how to be humble.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:02 am
This is an excellent question and is definitely something every believer should look into because according to scripture, we are to humble before the Lord:

James 4:10 NIV:

Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.

Humble is a word that has many meanings, so it's important to identify using the Strong's Concordance or Blue Letter Bible to identify what each instance means. According to the Blue Letter Bible "humble yourselves" can mean:

1) to make low, bring low
a) to level, reduce to a plain
b) metaph. to bring into a humble condition, reduce to meaner circumstances

1) to assign a lower rank or place to
2) to abase
3) to be ranked below others who are honoured or rewarded
4) to humble or abase myself by humble living
c) to lower, depress

1) of one's soul bring down one's pride
2) to have a modest opinion of one's self
3) to behave in an unassuming manner
4) devoid of all haughtiness

(Strong's G5013 - tapeinoō)

*To make ourselves humble is to submit everything to God, to follow God's instructions, to delight in the truth, and to gain knowledge and use wisdom. By doing this we are to give God our time and attention.

Being humble is a good thing in God's eyes - humble is the opposite of pride and according to scripture pride is not good and being humble (sometimes referred to as 'lowly in spirit') is good:

Proverbs 16:16 - 24 KJV:

How much better is it to get wisdom than gold! and to get understanding rather to be chosen than silver!

The highway of the upright is to depart from evil: he that keepeth his way preserveth his soul.

Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

Better it is to be of an humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud.

He that handleth a matter wisely shall find good: and whoso trusteth in the Lord, happy is he.

The wise in heart shall be called prudent: and the sweetness of the lips increaseth learning.

Understanding is a wellspring of life unto him that hath it: but the instruction of fools is folly.

The heart of the wise teacheth his mouth, and addeth learning to his lips.

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.

Proverbs 16:16 - 24 NIV:

How much better to get wisdom than gold,
to get insight rather than silver!

The highway of the upright avoids evil;
those who guard their ways preserve their lives.

Pride goes before destruction,
a haughty spirit before a fall.

Better to be lowly in spirit along with the oppressed
than to share plunder with the proud.

Whoever gives heed to instruction prospers,
and blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord.

The wise in heart are called discerning,
and gracious words promote instruction.

Prudence is a fountain of life to the prudent,
but folly brings punishment to fools.

The hearts of the wise make their mouths prudent,
and their lips promote instruction.

Gracious words are a honeycomb,
sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.

*Being humble is also realizing that God is in control here and that we cannot rely on our own strength of complete tasks. For those of us in this world who have relied on our own strength instead of God's (probably most of us have done this at least once, even when we were saved), we realize we can't do everything alone and that our strength comes from God. There's examples in our lives we can all probably think of where God got us through the unimaginable! If we realize God is in control then we are being humble by realizing he is our Creator, and the true authority and judge over us! Here is an example of this:

Genesis 41:16 NIV:

“I cannot do it,” Joseph replied to Pharaoh, “but God will give Pharaoh the answer he desires.”

*Joseph realized in his own strength that he could not do this and that God is taking control of the situation.

By humbling ourselves, we understand that we are below God and submit every aspect of ourselves to him - physical (body), emotional (heart), mental (mind), spiritual (soul). By humbling ourselves, we make time for God's word, realize He has a plan for us and is in control, pray to Him, follow His laws, and do everything we can that would bring us closer and closer to God.

I hope that helped and I apologize if anything I said didn't bring any clarity to your question.  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
Questions & Answers

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items