Submit

the mage-girl

Magical Marshmallow

22,600 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Monster Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:18 am
I have been writing since I was 11-12 years old, that's been :cough: years now. However I have been blocked for a considerable length of time, partially due to depression.

My mom came to live with me in 2006 after she had a stroke and could no longer live alone.

Some months ago I was sitting down at the computer and she asked me how long I was going to be. I replied, "I don't know. I may do some writing."

My mom sneered, "You're not going to write."

What the hell do you say to that? Do parents even listen to themselves sometimes?

Thank God I'm an adult; I hate to think how 11-12 year-old-me would have reacted to those words coming out of my mom's mouth.

How do you stand up for yourself without pissing someone off?  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:40 am
Its your house, you can do what you like. You can tell her she can be respectful while living with you or you can find her somewhere else to live. That may sound rude but its rude of your mom to come into your house and belittle something you love to do  

Hon3y_schnucums

Generous Lover

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:37 am
I've posted it before elsewhere, but even more than being slut-shamed by my own family, the absolute worst was when I was told I wasn't going to get any help to go to college; because according to them I'm going to get pregnant and raise kids anyway, so why bother?  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:39 pm
i have been writing since i was 8 or 9, and my parents have never approved. i have been acting since 7 or 8. my parents have never approved. I have been singing in a choir since i was 11 or 12, my parents have never approved. every school year they tell me this:"next year you wont be doing this s***"
they only ever "supported" my writing (quotes because they really didnt)when i had the opportunity to win 5000 dollars and a publication. They said i wasnt going to win. when i made the top 30 by vote out of over 4000 entries from around america they said it was a scam. Then they announced the winner. It wasnt me, but my parents took back everything they said because i made it so far.
they never suppourted my acting until i got the starring role in my schools most recent play. i am their "little girl" and they supported it knowing all the indecent things i had to do in the role.
They never supported my singing until this most recent year where i made my schools top choir, filled with senior and junior class elites, as a sophmore.

I guess the moral of the story is, dont say anything. i never have. it just gets you into trouble. prove them wrong in a graceful way. of course youre an adult, and im not, and you have alot more power that i do, but that also means that you have alot more power than i did, enough power to really prove yourself. you can show her that she is wrong, and how much good can come out of your passion. she wont rag on you for it anymore, or atleast not as much.

All you have to do is continue doing what you love.
Plus, youre an adult. Its your house. DU MACHST WAS DU WILLST (means, you do what you want in german)
(though she is still your mother, so remain respectful at all times, though im sure you wont have problems with that smile ).

I hope this helps <3
its sad seeing a talent and passion go to waste by family norm.

~Kaela2015  

kaela2015

Sparkly Friend

11,350 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Alice WR Ashdown

Dapper Dabbler

6,250 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:39 am
"Our ******** daughter is a walking gayfest" - My dad  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:18 pm
I'm so glad that my mother loves what I write. She is so encouraging and supportive.
But my dad can be hurtful. A month ago my partner and I were in the kitchen cooking dinner and discussing building out future home. Anyway I said something about how I would like to have a walk in pantry and my father mumbled "you'll never have anything." Then he went outside to have a smoke. My partner hugged me and said "you'll always have me and I will always try to make your dreams come true." I confronted my mother about it and she said that he had no right to say that me at all.

Clasela
Crew

Lashuri Chan

Generous Giver

10,600 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:22 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Just because it's your place doesn't mean you can't be considerate. You could have asked what was it that she needed do because you did sound like you were just hogging the computer. I don't see what she said as mean, I wouldn't have said it but I see where she is coming from.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:57 pm
Thanks for the input, everyone!

I think that what she said hurt so bad because I miss my writing so much. sad

I am in art therapy now and one of our goals is to get me to allow myself to be more creative without worrying about it turning out perfectly. If I can let myself believe that creativity is its own reward, maybe I will make progress!

My mom and I try to switch off using the computer, but you have a point - I generally spend more time on it than she does. I'm trying to even that out by encouraging her to watch stuff on Netflix on the computer (since it's summertime and there's nothing on regular TV). But she is reluctant to do Netflix. Weird.

Take care everyone, and good luck with your projects - and your parents! smile  

the mage-girl

Magical Marshmallow

22,600 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Monster Hunter 100

Boof It

Questionable Exhibitionist

12,950 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:49 pm
✚╔════════════════════════════════╗★

Hello there,
I have a classic case of horrible parents but something my mother did recently really just left me shaking my head and pitying the thing she's become. I moved back in with my grandmother after some young men tried to break in her often. (Since moving in I have indeed shot in their direction and they haven't revisited in some time, imagine that!)

A little background about moving back in so you can realize the whole picture. The day I turned 18 I left home and have had as little contact with either of my biological parents as possible. They have helped me with nothing in life other than conceiving me. Most of my life I spent with the grandparents, (the grandmother I now reside with)

Okay so I came back from shopping one day to discover my grandmother was unable to catch her breath, we took her blood pressure and it was off the charts. My boyfriend and I loaded up my grandmother and whisked her to the hospital where it was later discovered some medications her doctor prescribed interacted with one another and almost killed the poor lady. Luckily she's fine, and I thank my stars that she is daily. But while we were there I was not leaving my grandmother's side, I sat beside her and held her hand and kept feeding her ice cause she loves to chew on ice. My boyfriend and I had prepared for a friends birthday party before we went shopping and I was in a party dress sitting around and helping my nanny. My mother walked in and motioning for my boyfriend to come closer told him, "Misty doesn't need to be wearing that dress she looks super fat in it." My boyfriend bless his heart didn't say anything other than, "I think Misty looks hot, but shouldn't you be worried bout your mom?" and she got upset and came over and told me I needed to change as soon as I got home. I just glared and told her to shut up if she couldn't be nice and that Nanny felt awful. So of course I was being mean to her and she caused a scene in the hospital. My whole family was there and heard her saying I was fat and I shouldn't be wearing that dress.

You would think after years of this mental abuse and horrible treatment you'd get used to it, but sometimes one callous act can really shred through the armor you've built up around you. I am also not overweight, I am a very fit and healthy young woman. My mother is just cruel and super skinny. I'm not, I have curves and always have. But instead of being worried about her mother, she had to say something about how I looked and mentioned it to my boyfriend? It just astounds me that this woman can act like this. I'm just thankful I had grandparents that were so thoughtful, caring, and understanding or I might not be here today.

✚╚════════════════════════════════╝★

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:04 am
Boof, I am sorry your mom said something so callous. sad

My mom is so funny sometimes... She does not want people to see my butt! Like when I'm wearing pants, she is constantly pulling down the back of my shirt. Where I would rather have my front covered, because I am actually self-conscious about my tummy. stare

I am glad you have your grandma, and your boyfriend. You can lean on each other. heart  

the mage-girl

Magical Marshmallow

22,600 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Monster Hunter 100

They Call Me Homewrecker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:33 am
I went to get my septum pierced last week and on the way to the parlor my father jeers, "I don't know why you want to make yourself look like a god damn freak."

I honestly couldn't say anything back to him. I can't believe how inconsiderate he is about my feelings. I'm just getting a piercing, it's not a big deal...  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:34 pm
I'm sorry to hear about these things... But at least some of you guys know how to deal with it. I consider my family to be okay, however I am the youngest child so I think I've had the best off.
My mom's stated that my siblings hadn't had the best support (mainly from my dad).
When I was in middle school, there was one time my dad told me that I wasn't going to be able to graduate onto high school. Of course, I laughed at that and we yelled at each other for a bit but it still hurt a bit to hear that. But well, now I'm in my junior year of High school xD I mean, I got good grades (not the best) but hey, it's frustrating to know that my dad doesn't think I can go so far sometimes. So I'm trying my best this year with some hard classes to prove him wrong, even though I'm sure he's long forgot about it.  

Huntress_Lena

Cinnabun Gryffie

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:39 pm
Just don't do what my mum does. I just graduated High School, and she kicked me to the street for not paying rent.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:12 am
Oh, Moony. I am so sorry. sad

Do you have friends you can stay with, I hope?

Wishing for the best for you. smile  

the mage-girl

Magical Marshmallow

22,600 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Monster Hunter 100

Curious Cathryn

O.G. Prophet

8,150 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:57 am
I really dont understand why parents do this..if you are going to have a child why dont they just raise it with all the passion in the world.. i hope you all are okay and have become a stronger person.

I dont really have any advice for what to say to a parent that wouldnt make them pissed...my comebacks or horrible and i try to sting and leave them hurt..

my dad constantly called me fat(which is EXTREMELY hypocritical), and sometimes still does..Im not anorexic but i have, on many occasions, starved myself because all i can see in the mirror is nothing but a huge tummy.. the only person that has really helped me see past this is my bf and i thank him everyday

people like this are the reason children around the world are dieing  
24. ✿ - - - Life Issues

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces