Submit

The Giving Ninja

Quotable Gaian

4,350 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:11 pm
Are earrings worth the piercing, because the only earrings I found that were cute were feather earrings and crochet earrings.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:22 pm
The Giving Ninja
Are earrings worth the piercing, because the only earrings I found that were cute were feather earrings and crochet earrings.

Your ears aren't pierced? How old are you?

In my family's country of origin it's customary to pierce a baby girl's ears while she's still too young to fuss over them, it keeps the risk of infection down. This means it's usually done around their first month, after the baby's doctor gives the all-clear.

I have a second set of ear piercings about 3/4" above the first set. I got them when I turned 18 and my parents couldn't say anything. Of course by then they were just relieved I didn't opt for a nose ring and eyebrow barbells...

If you do get your ears pierced, make sure the posts are 24kt gold plated or stainless steel. Once you get them, twirl them several times a day to prevent them from sticking to the skin as it heals, and clean around them with a cotton swab dipped in peroxide (alcohol BURNS!).  

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500

THE_FAIRY_EMPRESS
Vice Captain

Original Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:32 pm
I didn't bother getting my ears pierced until i was in college even though my mother pushed for me to have them done at 11, i just knew i wasn't really going to wear them, any earring i bought i was going to loose, and eventually they'd heal over. So i waited until i was actually going to wear them. Instead of waisting the money. I've now developed a mild allergy to costume earrings so have to wear gold or silver, so its good i waited, at 11 i wouldn't have been able to afford gold and would have lost any bought for me. Its a personal decisions wether you want to get it done.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:39 pm
Gigi Deveraux

If you do get your ears pierced, make sure the posts are 24kt gold plated or stainless steel. Once you get them, twirl them several times a day to prevent them from sticking to the skin as it heals, and clean around them with a cotton swab dipped in peroxide (alcohol BURNS!).

That.

From someone who doesn't wear earrings often at all, I can say its easier down the road if you have them pierced. It makes costuming easier (Halloween, cosplay, renaissance faires, what-have-you...), and also keeps relatives/friends from getting on your back during special occasions (such as weddings) to look nice and/or uniform.
And it's nice to just have the option open if you ever decide you find something you like.

The hassle at first will kind of suck. I hated the piercing process (My mother did it the ol' numb-with-ice-and-poke-you-with-a-thick-needle job), and healing kinda sucked. But that is only for a short while, and all you really do need to do is be sure you wear a non-reactive metal that you're not allergic to (gold or stainless steel as stated by our lovely Gigi), I recommend gold or gold plated, and keep them clean. I have super-sensitive ears, and anything that isn't gold long-term hurts.My mother gave me an old pair of tiny gold hoops that i keep in and I forget they're even there honestly.

But yeah, it's easier in my opinion to go with a little hassle to pierce and heal, and just wear a pair for a day every few weeks to keep your holes from healing over and keep the option for them open over time.

But in the end it's your choice, as long as you're happy. : D  

Feezle

Snowfriend

The Giving Ninja

Quotable Gaian

4,350 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:45 pm
Gigi Deveraux

Where is your (family's) country of origin? India? My friend said that is what happened to her. heart Thanks for post, too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:45 pm
Feezle
(My mother did it the ol' numb-with-ice-and-poke-you-with-a-thick-needle job)

cat_surprised Holy crap! cat_gonk My metaphorical hat is off to you. I got it done with the... well, the best I can call it is a piercing gun and numbing gel, and I still yelped.

As for allergy problems with costume jewelry, I coat the posts of mine with nail polish. I used to use clear on everything, but since nobody can see the posts anyway, I use red for short posts and clear for hooks/French wires. That way I can tell when the short posts need a new coat; those little butterfly things end up chipping the polish off.  

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500

The Giving Ninja

Quotable Gaian

4,350 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:46 pm
THE_FAIRY_EMPRESS

A couple of my friends went through the same thing. My younger sister's ear healed over the whole. She was lucky she got out the earring before the earring got stuck in there. 3nodding

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:49 pm
The Giving Ninja
Gigi Deveraux

Where is your (family's) country of origin? India? My friend said that is what happened to her. heart Thanks for post, too.

You're welcome. emotion_hug

My family is from Central America, and most Hispanic cultures are big on feminine girls and manly boys. Long hair is encouraged... and I'm donating mine as soon as it's long enough. I'd get a crew cut just to freak the relatives out cat_rofl but I know it would look awful on me, so it'll be just a short bob.  

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500

Feezle

Snowfriend

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:49 pm
Gigi Deveraux
Feezle
(My mother did it the ol' numb-with-ice-and-poke-you-with-a-thick-needle job)

cat_surprised Holy crap! cat_gonk My metaphorical hat is off to you. I got it done with the... well, the best I can call it is a piercing gun and numbing gel, and I still yelped.

As for allergy problems with costume jewelry, I coat the posts of mine with nail polish. I used to use clear on everything, but since nobody can see the posts anyway, I use red for short posts and clear for hooks/French wires. That way I can tell when the short posts need a new coat; those little butterfly things end up chipping the polish off.

I was a big baby, I nearly passed out! Granted I was only 8 or so at the time, but still. Because of that, the hole in my right ear is actually crooked and takes a bit of precise wiggling to get anything in.

The nail polish idea... I will definitely have to try that! I would love to be able to wear my old costume jewelry again without having to take a day to let soreness go away. My only concern is if you've had any of the nail polish flake off and get stuck in the holes in your ears? I may just be letting my paranoia get the best of me though. =P  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:50 pm
Feezle

Healing was hard? Oi. I thought about never getting a tattoo or piercing, like so many Americans are today, but with the current media, I can't really blame them. So many bad people are being influences for others, and some of the media is not helping. However, I do really like the way some earrings look, and that just thinking about how they'd pull an outfit together is driving me nuts. I'm a Tom-boy, not a fashionista. Unfortunately, I've been such a tom-boy, that I'm like re-coiling into the girly lifestyle I never lived. 3nodding Not that I mind, though.

The Giving Ninja

Quotable Gaian

4,350 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:54 pm
Feezle

I was a big baby, I nearly passed out! Granted I was only 8 or so at the time, but still. Because of that, the hole in my right ear is actually crooked and takes a bit of precise wiggling to get anything in.

The nail polish idea... I will definitely have to try that! I would love to be able to wear my old costume jewelry again without having to take a day to let soreness go away. My only concern is if you've had any of the nail polish flake off and get stuck in the holes in your ears? I may just be letting my paranoia get the best of me though. =P

This leads us to our next lesson: taking care of the holes. My sister taught me that if I'm not wearing earrings of any kind for a while I should rub my ear with alcohol to disinfect the surface, then use the eye end of a needle to clean the holes. I dip the needle in alcohol and carefully twirl it as I push it through, wipe it as it emerges, then twirl again as I pull it out.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:55 pm
The Giving Ninja
Feezle

Healing was hard? Oi. I thought about never getting a tattoo or piercing, like so many Americans are today, but with the current media, I can't really blame them. So many bad people are being influences for others, and some of the media is not helping. However, I do really like the way some earrings look, and that just thinking about how they'd pull an outfit together is driving me nuts. I'm a Tom-boy, not a fashionista. Unfortunately, I've been such a tom-boy, that I'm like re-coiling into the girly lifestyle I never lived. 3nodding Not that I mind, though.

Re-coiling into the girly lifestyle is exactly what happened to me! I had always been a tomboy thanks to growing up with two older brothers, but when they moved out, I kinda edged into the girly world a little bit. It's not bad really. xP

As for healing, it was hard at the time for me, being so little. But as a more mature person, I guarantee you have better hygienic habits than I did back then (No 8 year old really cares to be squeaky clean all of the time... And I hated the smell of peroxide too). As long as you're sure to swab your ears and earrings with peroxide in the morning and at night, and be sure to rinse your hair and ears of shampoo and conditioner really well after showers, you'll be fine. I can tell you that I skipped out on a few swabbings back then and it came back to bite me in the butt.  

Feezle

Snowfriend

Feezle

Snowfriend

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:57 pm
Gigi Deveraux

This leads us to our next lesson: taking care of the holes. My sister taught me that if I'm not wearing earrings of any kind for a while I should rub my ear with alcohol to disinfect the surface, then use the eye end of a needle to clean the holes. I dip the needle in alcohol and carefully twirl it as I push it through, wipe it as it emerges, then twirl again as I pull it out.

Ah! A very worthwhile lesson to learn. Thank you for the tidbit! 3nodding
I will definitely be adding this to my routine whenever I remove/am not wearing earrings for some time.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:04 pm
Feezle

My sister was ten when she got her ears pierced. Our family gave her a hard time when she refused to keep up with caring for it. cat_xp I'm a little afraid to get my ears pierced, because it sounds short, but painful. My sister said her ears were sore from the piercing. She might've been trying to scare me, so I am unaware of whether or not that was true. cat_xd

The Giving Ninja

Quotable Gaian

4,350 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

The Giving Ninja

Quotable Gaian

4,350 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:06 pm
Gigi Deveraux

I was going to donate my hair when I was like ten, but I didn't have long enough hair. Although, my red-auburn brown hair would've looked nice on anyone. My parents keep telling me people pay thousands of dollars to get my almost-irish color (no one wants a full red head of hair), which I assume is their way of telling me not to dye my hair. Ever. Unfortunately, my hair, like my whole family, is getting darker and darker. I don't want just dark brown hair, dammit. cat_gonk

04. ✿ - - - Fashion And Clothes

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff