Welcome to Gaia! ::

THIS IS HALLOWEEN

Back to Guilds

WHERE IT IS ALWAYS HALLOWEEN (and sometimes exams) 

Tags: Halloween, Demons, Monsters, Roleplay, Academy 

Reply { Classrooms } ---------------- Classes/ Open Classes/ EXAMS ARE HERE
[LECTURE] Boogeymen Basics with Saebel and Adoh

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Marushii
Vice Captain

Enduring Loiterer

12,925 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:51 pm
[ It is assumed that every character who wishes to attend this lecture has entered and sat down. This RP is going to be a LECTURE in that the following post will be a lecture. You can count your student as having attended this class, even if you receive a student character AFTER this lecture has been posted. This RP, however, will not count towards your growth points unless you write the required 800 word post. This can be reactionary, however there IS an opportunity to interact with Saeble and Aodh at the end~ ]

"Great, it looks like we're ready to begin." The reaper boogeyman rose from his seat and walked around his desk, standing in front of it to survey the gathered students. "Good day to all of you. My name is Saebel. Some of you may remember me from last year. With me today is Aodh -- you may have seen him around with me earlier while we were getting settled in."

The bogeman Saebel was talking to before the class began raised his hand and gave a lazy wave. There was something about his demeanor that suggested he wasn't quite a reaper, and yet there were no obvious characteristics about him that suggested his race. He was, however, wearing a rather fetching green cloak. After a moment he pulled out a skellyphone and soon became rather preoccupied with its small screen.

"He and I are members of the Boogeymen. Some teachers at this point will probably stop and ask how many of you know what a Boogeyman is and what we do and sorts of other questions that will go in one ear and out the other. Therefore, we're going to skip all that and go straight to the --"

"In one ear and out the other part?" Aodh chimed in.

"Ye- no! Not at all!" Saebel flushed, pointing an accusatory finger at Aodh. "It's going to go in one ear, hopefully bounce around a bit, then out the other." The reaper turned back to the students, meeting their looks and murmurs with a shrug. "Let us move on."

Saebel took a deep breath. "The very word "boogeyman" came from the Human World. Humans use the word to describe imaginary creatures they themselves created in order to scare their scarelings into submission. They could be anything, be anywhere, and do just about anything. There is no set appearance for a boogeyman; thus we took the word for our own use."

"A Boogeyman in Halloween does what is expected of them. We are the ones people turn to for help. We do not charge for our services, nor do we expect compensation in return. We uphold and enforce the law. We provide aid to those who seek it. We defend Halloween, we fight for Halloween, we are Halloween."

Saebel studied the students quietly, giving time for his words to sink in. "I am going to be honest," he continued, "Not every Boogeyman does as a Boogeyman should. Like in any other field, in any other profession, there is corruption. There are those who abuse the power they wield, and there are those who inflict more harm than good. There are even those who claim to be a Boogeyman but are not. By coming here, I hope you will learn enough to protect yourselves. No matter what anyone else tells you, it will always come down to what you decide to do yourselves when push comes to shove. The most myself or anyone else can do for you in life is to give you advice. It will always be your choice, whether to listen or slack off, or whether to follow orders or rebel. I will not make your choices for you. I am merely going to provide you with information; it will be up to you as to what you wish to do with it."

He gestured towards the door. "As always with my class, if you grow tired of me you are more than welcomed to leave at any point. My only request is that you enter and leave quietly."

"Now with that out of the way," Saebel continued, his tone growing lighter in comparison to the serious topic earlier. "Let us begin with identification. As you may have noticed, Aodh and myself both wear cloaks. The previous gym professor Red also wore a cloak the same color as her name. Cloaks, however, are a fashion statement. Not everyone who wears a cloak is automatically a Boogeyman. While we all wear one, it isn't uncommon to see a non-Boogeyman in one."

"If you are approached by someone claiming to be a Boogeyman, and they're wearing a cloak? You are within your rights to ask to see their identification." Saebel held up both of his hands and concentrated, pulling it apart to reveal a badge. "This is a Boogeyman's ID card. It will contain their name, rank, general job description, and more importantly? The check. If you'll notice the Boogeyman symbol here," He helpfully pointed to it as he spoke, "The color will match the color of the Boogeyman's cloak. If it does not? It is an imposter. In addition, if you hold your thumb over it and say "ID," it will turn black and the card itself will begin to glow. If you hand the card back to the Boogeyman, the symbol should turn to the color of their cloak. If neither of these things occur, then it is a fake."

Saebel walked towards the desk in the corner of the room and handed it to the student seated there, demonstrating the effects he just described before handing it back so the students could take a closer look at it. On the other side of the room, Aodh rose and produced his own card and demonstrated as well before also passing it around. "I would like to mention at this point that there is a hefty bounty on anyone posing as a Boogeyman," Aodh chimed in. "If you ever encounter someone you can identify as a fake, you are well within your rights to attack and drag the sorry no-good scammer in. The lowest bounty I've ever seen on one has been... what, 500 or so silver?" Aodh shrugged. "Anyway. By the look of all of you, fighting one shouldn't pose a problem. If you can knock'em unconscious, you can give the real Boogeymen a call. Once they arrive on the scene and can confirm that it's a fake, they'll give you the bounty on the spot."

"Of course, if it turns out to be someone who isn't an imposter then you could face some serious fines and time in jail," Saebel added. "It's best to check and confirm. If the Boogeyman refuses to show you his ID, then ask for his cloak. Aodh, can you fetch me that trash can? Thank you."

The reaper reached up and removed his cloak and began to fold it. "Some of you may have noticed that my cloak is different from the one I had last year. Last year, mine was a white-blue gradient whereas now it's a solid light blue. You see, there's something rather... unique about Boogeymen cloaks. When you first join, you're given one. If you make it past training, you're taught how to make it."

Saebel frowned, then shook out his cloak and began to refold it. "I don't mean 'make' as in learn how to sew it together. These cloaks are made from your very own Fear. Your Fear determines what color or colors it is, its style, length, what have you. Sometimes the cloak they give you is the same color as the one you end up creating yourself. Other times it's completely different. Now then." He dropped the cloak into the trash can Aodh placed at his feet. "If you're undead, kindly please do not be alarmed. Aodh, will you do the honors?"

"With pleasure," the taller boogeyman rumbled, pulling a small can out from under his own green cloak. The contents were poured onto the cloak. Those with sharp noses and towards the front would discover the unmistakeable sharp sting of gasoline began to fill the room. Aodh shook the can until nothing was left inside before dropping it down into the trashcan. Next came a box of matches. A match was lit and dropped down before both Boogeymen scurried back from the resulting fireball that belched upwards towards the ceiling, scorching it.

Thankfully the fire alarm didn't go off. Aodh approached the bin and turned it over, shaking out the ashes. "Tah-dah! No more cloak. Saebel?"

The reaper nodded towards his companion and reached up, grasping at something invisible in the air. He pulled, taking a half-step back and spinning. From where he pulled, a cloak formed in the air: light blue and in Saebel's size. The Boogeyman spun and clasped it back into place. "There. All Boogeyman's cloaks are made from their own personal Fear. Only a Boogeyman learns how to do this. I'm sure with enough training anyone else can do it too, but can anyone else do this?" He held up his hands and began to seemingly pull several objects from the air: his ID card, a skellyphone, a shiny badge that looked like a pentagram, and what looked to be various pieces of equipment. As each piece was pulled, it was tossed towards Adoh who began to arrange them on Saebel's desk like an exhibit.

Finally Saebel finished and used a corner of his cloak to wipe at his pale face. "Whew! Okay. As you can see, I just summoned just about all of my equipment. Some of this stuff is made from my own Fear, like my bells." He gestured to the bells that were on his person. He had several belts: two crossed his chest in an "X," and another two made a smaller "X" around his waist. Both belts were weighed down by bells that jingled and chimed softly with his movement. "Others are pieces of equipment I share with my squad."

He held up his hand to forestall the obvious question. "A squad is your group. Let me explain how the Boogeymen work. There is no obvious structure: we are a collective group without rankings. Any perceived "rank" is merely a personal preference and is perceived by an individual. How fancy do they look? How much experience do they have? How strong are they? While it is expected for you to look up to your seniors, like I said earlier, the choice is entirely your's. If, however, you decide to sass off to someone and they take offense, it is their choice to take whatever action they choose against you."

"Following that, there are no set duties," Saebel added. "Every Boogeyman can decide for themselves what they wish to do. Do you wish to fight fires? Scout other worlds? Harvest Fear? Regulate Fear harvestings? Look into crime? Whatever you wish to do, chances are there is a squad working on that field that you can hook up with for training. I personally consider myself to be a scientist of sorts. My specialty is in regeneration: both on the field and off, though mostly on."

Aodh waved for attention. "Transporter here. I do mostly heavy lifting and defensive work. I've been working with Saebel on the field for a long time and decided to follow him here when he was offered the position. Prior to this, we worked a lot in Christmastown."

Saebel nodded. "Becoming a Boogeyman gives you many opportunities, and many freedoms usually not offered to other positions. Headquarters does provide food and board, but what usually turns many away is the pay and work. Being a Boogeyman takes a lot of work, and you usually don't get much in the way of pay. But if you can overlook that... The people you meet, the places you see? I'm personally glad I became one."

The reaper leaned against his desk, adding, "And I still am one, actually. Once you're a Boogeyman, you're considered a Boogeyman for life. I still help out in my free time here, just as Red did. If you become one and decide that you don't want to be one anymore, the most that happens is that you become unable to summon your badge, cloak, and any other Boogeyman-related items. If at any point you come back? You regain your Boogeyman skills. Y'see, the Boogeymen are like... a giant family. Yeah, we've got our problems. But your squad's always got your back."

Saebel grinned, then sighed. "Well. I believe I may have rambled on for long enough. Does anyone have any questions for myself or Aodh? It is rather difficult to accurately describe what the Boogeymen do and what we stand for given our organization, however I do hope that I have given all of you a better idea."

OOC

Question and answer time! Now is a perfect opportunity to ask any Boogeyman-related question to either Saebel or Aodh. If you're going to ask a question, please QUOTE ME and put your question in bold blue (if asking Saebel) or bold green (if asking Aodh). If you're asking both, please put it in bold red so I see it.

Otherwise you guys are more than welcomed to interact with each other/post reactionary solos/etc. In order to earn two growth points from this, you must:
1) Ask a question
2) get said question answered
3) write the minimum of 800 words.

This class will also always be "on going" so if you get a character, say, two months from this post? You are more than welcome to join in!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:33 pm
Mot had been positive that he'd given up his dream to be a Boogeyman. In his mind he didn't have what it took. He thought only the brave and strong could become Boogeyman. So when he learned of a lecture from Saebel, he was hesitant. However, he was still a Boogeyman fanboil, and wanted in on the information.

He ended up learning quite a bit. A lot. There were divisions; different roles a Boogeyman could take on, and one of them caught his attention. The Regulating of Fear Harvesting. It was something that piqued his interest after the Deth trip.

After the lecture, Mot addressed Saebel, "What is the process like in becoming a Boogeyman? I mean... is there a type of testing or training that goes with it? And is there a way I could prepare in the meantime?"

Marushii

Bittiface

Sarcastic Hunter

Marushii
Vice Captain

Enduring Loiterer

12,925 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:44 pm
Drifter Jet Enduro

After the lecture, Mot addressed Saebel, "What is the process like in becoming a Boogeyman? I mean... is there a type of testing or training that goes with it? And is there a way I could prepare in the meantime?"

Saebel considered the question tapping his fingers against the desk. "It... depends, actually. Sometimes a Boogeyman Recruiter will visit schools and do their recruiting similar to how I've seen the Trick-or-Treaters do it here. Other times people will come directly to the Headquarters and apply there. As for myself..." He trailed off, one hand rising to absently jingle one of his bells. "Let's just say I screwed up and they were there to pull me out. In doing so, someone was seriously hurt. I... stepped in to help out while they recovered. Not all wounds are easy to heal, even with an experienced Fear healer. That's what got me started down this road, and I've been with them ever since."

"As for preparing... It really depends on what you want to do. If you want to do what I do, I suggest taking classes with Miss Cricket. If you want to help regulate and manage minipets, I believe Professor Malcom here is a local expert on them. Learning how to defend yourself also can't hurt. But again, it really depends on what specifically you want to do, or where you want to start out doing before I can honestly answer that."

Aodh added, "Unlike Saebel, I signed up. There is some testing and training to go through first, just to make sure you're cut out for what you want to do. You can't exactly go bashing in the heads of any criminal if you run out of breath after a minute of running, right?" He laughed, waving it off. "But even if you can't pass it and you're still interested, there's always stuff that needs to be done by somebody."  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:47 pm
Given how he was, some might have been surprised to see Shun showing up at the lecture. He did not have a change of heart in the slightest. No. He had no interest whatsoever in becoming a boogeyman or even really getting friendly with them.

Despite that, he knew it was a chance for some potentially valuable knowledge. He grew up with the boogeys basically cast as enemies of the Family. And well, it was always good to know more about the 'enemy'. Yes, there were those who weren't corrupted asshats. Lizzy's father and Red had been among the ranks after all, but that didn't increase his trust in them too much more in general.

In any case, he wasn't surprised to see Mot here, or hear him asking about how to join. He had no questions. The reaper just listened.  

Blade Kuroda

Militant Raider

Ice Queen

Dapper Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:52 pm
Roch was there. That was probably even more shocking than Shun, in a way, because the punk boil had never hidden his dislike of boogies, and even now was fighting the urge to pick his nose with his middle finger. But this seemed to be a good opportunity, and he wasn't one to let that pass him up.

"What's the relationship between trick or treaters and boogies--officially and unofficially?" he asked, lounging in his chair, his long legs spread out to where they took up most of the aisles next to him. Well, y'know, it would be good to know before he went further in his mentor-ing, right?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:53 pm
Mot listened intently, nodding at the information given. Fear healing also interested him. Even if he didn't pursue it as a career, it would be a viable skill to learn, if he wanted to help his friends in the war. In the meantime, it would be best to continue the training he'd learned from Shun.

Yes. Light bulbs were switching on.

"I'm interesting in the Regulating of Fear Harvesting, and Fear Harvesting in general." Mot added with a smile. Maybe they would have some input for him. "I've been learning a bit about it from senior DETH members on the last field trip."

Marushii

Bittiface

Sarcastic Hunter

Marushii
Vice Captain

Enduring Loiterer

12,925 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:01 pm
Ice Queen
"What's the relationship between trick or treaters and boogies--officially and unofficially?" [Roch] asked, lounging in his chair, his long legs spread out to where they took up most of the aisles next to him. Well, y'know, it would be good to know before he went further in his mentor-ing, right?

To Roch, it was Aodh that answered his legs. "It depends on Boogey to ToTer. Some like them, others avoid them. On a whole, it's really to each their own. We don't mind them, and they may or may not mind us or TP the Headquarters. In my opinion, they're an all right bunch."

Drifter Jet Enduro
"I'm interesting in the Regulating of Fear Harvesting, and Fear Harvesting in general." Mot added with a smile. Maybe they would have some input for him. "I've been learning a bit about it from senior DETH members on the last field trip."

"DETH is a good place to learn it," Saebel answered. "The more you learn about Humans the better. I advise you to keep learning from them. It may be good to mentor with a Reaper to learn the basics and how-tos of reaping in general as well. The Reaper doesn't have to be a Boogeyman -- there are plenty of reaper businesses out in Halloween that specialize in gathering Fear. But overall, I think you are on the right track."  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:07 pm
He was on the right track. On the right track! Mot smiled, satisfied with this lecture. Even if he didn't become a Boogeyman, he could always fall back on what a reaper did best of all. He felt a sense of purpose return, and made a list of things to do.

•Contact Cricket for some basic Fear Healing, or take an open class
•Continue the work of a DETH scout, as ridiculous as some of the badge requirements were
•Keep on training
•Contact an older reaper for pointers and possible training methods

He wrote this all down in his notebook, stashing it back in his satchel. With that, he made his way out of the room.  

Bittiface

Sarcastic Hunter

Ice Queen

Dapper Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:31 pm
Huh, Roch thought. If he could stay out of juvie this long (he was amazed at that fact, seriously) and last long enough to make it into a real job like Trick or Treater, he might get free from some things--

"What about the horsemen?" he asked. "What do the boogies think of horsemen?" Cuz he knew what he thought about one in particular, but he wasn't going to say.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:37 pm
Ice Queen
"What about the horsemen?" he asked. "What do the boogies think of horsemen?" Cuz he knew what he thought about one in particular, but he wasn't going to say.

Aodh shrugged. "Like Saebel said, we're like a giant family with no organization. The Boogeymen are unique in that regard; what one Boogeyman thinks isn't necessarily what we all think. I cannot say, as I have yet to meet a Horseman myself. Saebel?"

The reaper shrugged. "I haven't met one either. All I know is hearsay, and to be honest while I like rumors as a way to get an idea about something, I prefer to keep my opinions to myself until I have a chance to experience it for myself. I fear I cannot answer your question."  

Marushii
Vice Captain

Enduring Loiterer

12,925 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Brandisher 100

Ice Queen

Dapper Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:01 pm
Absently Roch's hand went up, touching the spiral mark on his left shoulder with a dark expression. But he didn't say anything else, just leaned back and waited for someone else to ask a question, forcing his hand down. That damned mark, he thought darkly, not looking at it. He could swear that he felt it, though.

With that mark, he honestly felt he disliked horsemen just as much as he disliked boogies... almost as much as he disliked hunters. Which was saying something. Well... maybe not all horsemen, but enough. Medea, at least.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:11 am
"You said there's no real ranking. Who's in charge, then? Who do the squads answer to? What kinda organization?" Nahm had little interest in becoming a Boogeyman himself, but he had a great deal of interest in finding out how the time-honored institution functioned. The cloak and equipment had piqued his curiosity, but it was a trade secret, it seemed; Nahm kept his questions on the subject to himself.  

prolixity
Crew

Shameless Enabler

17,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Ultimate Player 200

Pixie Nyxie

Adorable Waffles

14,125 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 pm
Amphi on the other hand had been silently sitting in the back. Since recovering from her trip from hunter land with the tracker in her body, she had thought of ways to effect her...mentoring.

While she had slipped in a little later, it didn't stop her from instantly gaining curiosity with the the idea of questions.

her phone was out with the questions instead, since she couldn't talk.

Marushii
Is being a boogeyman mainly about total FEAR manipulation? Or are their squads that specialize in more physical / Magical aspects? Or healing?

Because the mermaid was a expert healer but she didn't do so well with physical combat.  
{ Classrooms } ---------------- Classes/ Open Classes/ EXAMS ARE HERE

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games