Questions about my first tattoo

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:08 pm
I know a few of you on here have tats, so I'll throw my questions on here before attempting one of the main forums. Looking for a lil info about tats.

In case I haven't mentioned yet, I'm having Rascal's pawpring tattoed on my foot. That much is CERTAIN. I have a few dilemas preventing this from happening asap, even though I want it ASAP.

1. I do not actually have an imprint. At the clinic I work at, we do ink paw prints before...um, dealing...with the bodies. I made an absolutely beautiful one last week actually of a cat. Anyway, at my old clinic where Rascal was euthanized, they do clay paw prints. Which, is more costly and ultimately I find it nicer. However, it poses a question of how do I take a negative print and turn it into a print. I have a picture I took of the paw itself as well, so I'm hoping I can make it work. I really want the most detail possible though. So I will first attempt to SCAN the clay print and hope the scanner picks up all the detail of the paw that was there. I'm open to idea and I will discuss my options when I go for the consult.

2. It's gonna hurt like a b***h. This is not actually much of an issue, and not at all stopping me. But many people warn me that this is probably the worst possible spot to get a first tattoo. Also, that feet are sensitive and if I make any sudden movement, the tat will be ruined. No pressure.

3. The healing process. This is basically my BIGGEST issue right now and why I'd LOVE feedback from anyone who knows anyone with a foot tat. I've been told and read up, and in order for the tat to heal properly and not smudge or look like s**t. That one must NOT wear covered shoes for AT LEAST two weeks. This of course is a HUGE problem for me as I work in a clinic where closed shoes are quite mandatory. This is something I will discuss with my boss. She got a tat of her boy on her ankle and did not wear shoes for about 2-3 days and walked around with medical booties and told all the clients she'd been bit. That was mostly due to the swelling and her getting it on a sunday rather than a friday which would have given her 2 days off work. I'm looking at not wearing shoes for a much longer period. So what I thought of doing was getting around to finally doing my gum graph, which would give me an excuse to take a week off as that's how long the dentist suggested I would need. So I have a legit excuse to take time off work. Then I could probably try to get the tat done during exam period and ask for the 2 or so days a week I work during school year off to "study". I already bought a pair of flats so that I have shoes I can wear that won't touch the tattoo. I take the first two days off and rest at home...while I study. Wear the flats the rest of that week and then spend my first week of winter break bed ridden.

Aside from that, well, there was the possible option of using some of his ashes when we do the tat. I'll bring it up with the artist but the possibility for infection is a lot higher. I'm kind of dying to get this done. Knowing I'll have to wait about 3 months is killing me. Maybe I'll just get it asap and find an excuse to take time off at the clinic. I'm only there 15hrs a week once school starts anyway.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:17 am
I think that your first step should be finding the person who is going to be doing your tattoo. Ask around for opinions, check out yelp, look at portfolios. Find someone who is really good at custom work, and possibly who has done this sort of thing before. Bring them whatever pictures you can and the clay paw print and see what they can do with it. Also explain the situation about work and shoes and see what they recommend.  

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Whiskey On A Sunday

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:32 am
I agree with Vanilla, find the artist first, Ask them your questions as everyone is going to have their own opinion on this and they will all be different.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:55 pm
I discovered silicone gel! So now I can basically make a STAMP of Rascal's paw by putting silicone in the clay and waiting for it to harden. Then it peels out. I've done a test run already to be sure it won't ruin my clay print, so need to get more siligum and then I can make the stamp. Then I just need an ink pad so I can get it on paper.

I asked around for referals. Many of my friends have tattoos and are super happy with the artists, all different. So I made a point to ask my coeworkers who have very realistic, detailed designs. They both had the same girl downtown. I called that place but the girl is booked till Jan 2013 confused Seeing as my tattoo is not anything complicated I made an appointment with that parlor. I don't know the artist I'm seeing but I figured, if that girl is THAT good, and works at THAT store, then, I dunno, it must be a pretty reputable place. Plus since they don't really need to draw anything, just make a stencil of what I bring them. Then it's not really worth waiting a whole year.

So Friday I'm going to discuss all my questions and concerns. By then I pray I will have my schedule for September. So I will make the appointment for the tattoo and then plead with some coeworkers to cover my shifts those two weeks. I only work like two days a week anyway and have every 2nd sat off so, I should only need to take off 4 days total.

Really excited for Friday. My best friend is coming with and possibly getting something done.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Off- Topic

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces