Submit

Lashuri Chan

Generous Giver

10,600 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:21 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Coming back from the LI I have yet another debatable question for you. So this user post a topic about how her life sucks and explains that she wants to go to school in October and has talked to her mom months in advance about it but now her mom is saying no because she is going to need the car Monday through Thursday.

The mom wants her to get a job and help pay for a car if she wants one and the girl is I guess mad and upset because her mom brought her sister a car two years ago and would from time to time say that since she has enough money she can probably go and buy her other child (the OP) a car, but they have never even went and looked for it.

So the OP thinks it is unfair.

And then one user has recently posted and talked about how she was molested as a child and how all these people around her, friends and family have died and such and told the OP to count her blessings And that is just the sort version of the comment.

But I personally think she was comparing and it was coming off as the OP had no right to complain since the situation is so small and yet this user has been dealing something like that and thus she feels like she has a right to complain about her life.

That is how I saw it simply because she brought it up, but when you read the whole comment in short all she is saying things could be worst so count your blessing and honestly that is all she needed to say. I don't see any reason to bring your life into it like you are offended or something.

To me when someone throws their life situations into the mix like that I feel like they are comparing especially when the message is just saying "it could be worst" :That's not so bad so count your blessings"

Eh but the end of the day the user kind of got defensive when I called her out it rather than take it with a grain of salt.

ANYWAYS! Your opinion?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:27 pm
cєℓєsтιαℓ ғιʀєғℓιєs:

When I see things like that, I essentially see, "Your feelings are invalid because it could be worse."

And I would have to wonder if the user responding would feel so amused if someone had responded to her saying, "Thousands of women are raped and slaughtered or forcibly drugged and sold into horrible, violent sex slavery for the rest of their lives. You should be happy you're free and able to post on a dress-up doll website. Your feelings about your experience are therefore invalid."

Now, is that ridiculous (not to mention harsh and insensitive)? Of course. Just because someone has been through a worse experience, it doesn't make hers hurt any less. I mean, yes, I think people should try to put things into perspective, but you know what? Everyone's entitled to a little moan now and then, everyone's entitled to their feelings.

FWIW, I can see where the OP was coming from. My mom did a lot of things like that to my brother and I, giving him large extravagant things while bitching to me that she had no money. It always stung, and it wasn't necessarily that I felt I was entitled to it, but it was more that she was showering him with things while giving me the red-a**.

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

jiniistrawberii
Crew

Feral Fatcat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:20 am
User Image User Image

Everyone has their own kind of misfortunes. And no matter how petty it is to other people, to the person involved, it would still be a major problem. I think that the second person who was molested, etc. was unfair in saying that the OP should count her blessings and so on. Everyone has a right to complain about absolutely anything, be it just p***k on the finger or having your family murdered right in front of you.

Also, you only have the right to tell others to count their blessings if you do it yourself. What right do you have of telling people that they have no right to complain, when all you do yourself is complain?

User ImageUser Image

20. ✿ - - - Debating

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff