Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Questions & Answers
How do you know when to testify or witness to someone?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Girl With The Windex Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:27 pm
I've done it online a couple of times, but in person I don't know how to do it and don't know when the right time would be. I mean I mention God when people talk about it and my beliefs, so I suppose thats when I'd do it, but I also wouldn't want to seem like I'm cramming it down their throats. I know I'm trying to get stronger in faith so I don't really know if I should be trying too hard to witness until I am more grown, but yeah, do you just get the right feeling when its the right time and do you just know what to say when it happens?... Hope what I said makes sense.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:59 am
It doesn't matter what age you are to witness or testify; God believes you're worth it all the same. Perhaps you should pray to God for Him to find a time to use you to testify or witness to someone. Pray that you want to serve God and ask to serve Him in someway. I did that a while back, and God answered my prayers by sending me an Atheist roommate at a camp. I was so happy for God to give me that chance, and I was able to talk about God with her when she asked. I never shoved anything down her throat but only waited until she asked me about it. Until then I simply trusted my light to shine on her and be a good, nice influence for her. I accepted her for who she was and secretly prayed for her to come to know God someday. That was my first time ever as a 16-year-old to witness outside of the computer. I was nervous, but I did everything right in the end. I became good friends with her. Oh, and pray to the Lord to give you strength and courage. smile  

calwri

Devoted Friend

9,800 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200

calwri

Devoted Friend

9,800 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:43 pm
This is an old church hymn I know you'll like that is about volunteering to be of service to the Lord:

I, the Lord of sea and sky,
I have heard my people cry.
All who dwell in darkness now
My hand will save.

I who make the stars of night,
I will make their darkness bright.
Who will bear my light to them?
Whom shall I send?

Here I am, Lord. It is I Lord.
I have heard you calling in the night.
I will go, Lord, where you lead me.
I will hold your people in my heart.

I, the Lord of snow and rain,
I have borne my people's pain.
I have wept for love of them.
They turn away.

I will break their hearts of stone,
Give them hearts for love alone.
I will speak my words to them.
Whom shall I send?

I, the Lord of wind and flame,
I will tend the poor and lame.
I will set a feast for them.
My hand will save.

Finest bread I will provide,
Till their hearts be satisfied.
I will give my life to them.
Whom shall I send?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:31 pm
I know what you mean but a few verses come to mind.

Acts 1:7 & 8: And he (Jesus) said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power. But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Luke 14:16 - 24: Then said he unto him, A certain man made a great supper, and bade many: And sent his servant at supper time to say to them that were bidden, Come; for all things are now ready.

And they all with one consent began to make excuse. The first said unto him, I have bought a piece of ground, and I must needs go and see it: I pray thee have me excused. And another said, I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to prove them: I pray thee have me excused. And another said, I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.

So that servant came, and shewed his lord these things. Then the master of the house being angry said to his servant, Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in hither the poor, and the maimed, and the halt, and the blind.

And the servant said, Lord, it is done as thou hast commanded, and yet there is room. And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled. For I say unto you, That none of those men which were bidden shall taste of my supper.

We have all the calling to go out and save that which are lost. It could be a neighbor, friend, family member, someone you work with, and so forth. But don't give up and just preach that 1 day, they too will give themselves accountable to an Almighty God.

And about shoving your religion down people's throats.... I know what is the problem. Their mouths are open. The Gospel is not meant for throats, but for ears. It is the power of God to Salvation for everyone that hears and understands.  

Saved_by_Grace_Ministries

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:24 pm
Dramatica Angeliqua
It doesn't matter what age you are to witness or testify; God believes you're worth it all the same. Perhaps you should pray to God for Him to find a time to use you to testify or witness to someone. Pray that you want to serve God and ask to serve Him in someway. I did that a while back, and God answered my prayers by sending me an Atheist roommate at a camp. I was so happy for God to give me that chance, and I was able to talk about God with her when she asked. I never shoved anything down her throat but only waited until she asked me about it. Until then I simply trusted my light to shine on her and be a good, nice influence for her. I accepted her for who she was and secretly prayed for her to come to know God someday. That was my first time ever as a 16-year-old to witness outside of the computer. I was nervous, but I did everything right in the end. I became good friends with her. Oh, and pray to the Lord to give you strength and courage. smile

Thanks! I'll continue praying about those things. I just need to remember to be patient.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:25 pm
Dramatica Angeliqua
This is an old church hymn I know you'll like that is about volunteering to be of service to the Lord:

I, the Lord of sea and sky,
I have heard my people cry.
All who dwell in darkness now
My hand will save.

I who make the stars of night,
I will make their darkness bright.
Who will bear my light to them?
Whom shall I send?

I, the Lord of snow and rain,
I have borne my people's pain.
I have wept for love of them.
They turn away.

I will break their hearts of stone,
Give them hearts for love alone.
I will speak my words to them.
Whom shall I send?

I, the Lord of wind and flame,
I will tend the poor and lame.
I will set a feast for them.
My hand will save.

Finest bread I will provide,
Till their hearts be satisfied.
I will give my life to them.
Whom shall I send?

Wow, that is a beautiful hymn, I love it!  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:27 pm
Saved_by_Grace_Ministries
I know what you mean but a few verses come to mind.

Acts 1:7 & 8: And he (Jesus) said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power. But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Luke 14:16 - 24: Then said he unto him, A certain man made a great supper, and bade many: And sent his servant at supper time to say to them that were bidden, Come; for all things are now ready.

And they all with one consent began to make excuse. The first said unto him, I have bought a piece of ground, and I must needs go and see it: I pray thee have me excused. And another said, I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to prove them: I pray thee have me excused. And another said, I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.

So that servant came, and shewed his lord these things. Then the master of the house being angry said to his servant, Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in hither the poor, and the maimed, and the halt, and the blind.

And the servant said, Lord, it is done as thou hast commanded, and yet there is room. And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled. For I say unto you, That none of those men which were bidden shall taste of my supper.

We have all the calling to go out and save that which are lost. It could be a neighbor, friend, family member, someone you work with, and so forth. But don't give up and just preach that 1 day, they too will give themselves accountable to an Almighty God.

And about shoving your religion down people's throats.... I know what is the problem. Their mouths are open. The Gospel is not meant for throats, but for ears. It is the power of God to Salvation for everyone that hears and understands.

Thanks, that sure does help! Those who wanna hear will hear and those who don't, won't.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:12 pm
I've done it online a couple of times, but in person I don't know how to do it and don't know when the right time would be. I mean I mention God when people talk about it and my beliefs, so I suppose thats when I'd do it, but I also wouldn't want to seem like I'm cramming it down their throats. I know I'm trying to get stronger in faith so I don't really know if I should be trying too hard to witness until I am more grown, but yeah, do you just get the right feeling when its the right time and do you just know what to say when it happens?... Hope what I said makes sense.

The right time to witness is anytime! There is no wrong time to witness, and we are to spread the good news wherever we are, and we must choose methods of witnessing to fit the situation because everybody is different. We are to be bold in the spirit! We aren't supposed to by shy, afraid, nervous, or anxious in the spirit, but bold and fearless while speaking the truth to others! We must also be ready to answer questions when others ask. Also, the thing is - don't be afraid to say, "You know what? I actually don't know the answer to that. How about I research it and have a way to contact you about it?" or something of that sort.

There are some people out there that don't believe in God, Jesus, or The Holy Spirit so they will only feel anger when you tell them the truth. They will automatically feel like you're cramming it down their throats because the truth is a sword that can pierce the soul. To some, the truth hurts and burns and that doesn't go only for non-believers, but sometimes as a believer when we are in sin and hate to repent - the truth can hurt us, too, but we realize it's for our own good.

The most important aspect is to try. If someone says, "No thank you." or something when you're trying to speak to them or they want to walk away then allow it. Without knowing it, just trying to tell them about God may have an impact on them. When we try to witness, sometimes we may feel like we fail, when we actually plant a seed. It's God who takes it from there who brings the sun and the rain to help it grow.

I remember being afraid to witness before. I always had a lot of thoughts rushing through my mind like, "What if they get mad at me?", "What if they try and hurt me?", "What if they call the police on me?", "What if I hurt their feelings?", "What if I don't know what to say?", "What if I can't help them?" These are all things to pray about, but we shouldn't worry as long as we are preaching the truth. I remember the question that bothered me the most is, "What if I don't know what to say?" I would think about that one for hours on end. So, I asked a member of clergy, "When I witness - how will I know what to say?" and they told me, "That's one thing I can't exactly explain to you. When the time comes - you will know what to say. God can give you the words to say at times, and at other times God wants you to be able to give it a try with the wisdom you have from reading His Word." I thought on that and I said, "That doesn't help at all! What do I say to people? Like, just what do I say?" and they didn't answer. When I actually witnessed, I understood what that all meant. It's interesting, but you just need to be bold in The Holy Spirit. If you don't have The Holy Spirit in your life yet then study about it, pray about wanting The Holy Spirit in your life, etc.  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

jemom

Gracious Gaian

10,050 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Friendly 100