Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Hello there

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

rhythmic_Nightmare

Romantic Lunatic

3,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:12 pm
So since I'm going into High school (yay!) i thought of something, how come there isn't a LGBT club? Even though I can understand, I thought of starting a club like this guild.
One were people don't discriminate, and help with gay right and stuff. Also with romance problems or just getting stuff out of there head.
Even though there are some people who think " wow such a stupid idea" i think it'll help increase the awarness.
I also hate the fact people get bullies, so it won't JUST be about gay right, its also has stop bullying, and also to get to understand people's cultures. ^.^
Though I think I'm a but naive to actually say that.

But I just want you honest opinion. I will understand whether it's good or Bad. C;

But thank you for reading this and taking your time to say your opinion I really appreciate it <3  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:20 pm
LGBTQAI "Clubs" are largely known as GSA's in high schools.

Not surprisingly, they are few and far between but thankfully rising in number.

My own high school had a GSA and while I never attended, they worked mightily to inform others and raise general awareness of the LGBTQAI community.

GSA's are a wonderful idea and can be perfect resources because I guarantee there are at least a dozen people in your high school (considering the number of students in general) who actually need a resource like that.

If you need help or information on how to start one I'm sure myself, or many others in this guild, could and would be more than willing to give advice.

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200

rhythmic_Nightmare

Romantic Lunatic

3,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:32 pm
Der Fluch des Pharao

thank you very much!~ I'm going to the counslers office and ask about starting one, but i still don't really know about all the clubs at my school so maybe my school might be one of them smile if not it'll soon become one tehe  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:35 pm
I run my college's GSA, we orginize our county's pride.

If your school doesn't have one, you should ask your schools VP what clubs need in order to get off the ground- usually a person on the faculty has to act as an adviser and that is one of the biggest challenges that students can face. Talk to the VP and make a list of what is needed, then start organizing it- also contact other schools' GSA and Stonewall in your area because the might have some resources for it.

Sometimes people will try and throw obstacles at you- community resources can often help by advocating for your rights to form the club.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

rhythmic_Nightmare

Romantic Lunatic

3,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:39 pm
Esiris

Thank you, thats very helpful to know  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:46 pm
rhythmic_Nightmare
Esiris

I'm happy to help- and if you want I can give you some resources that have different regional offices.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

rhythmic_Nightmare

Romantic Lunatic

3,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:51 pm
Esiris
rhythmic_Nightmare
Esiris

I'm happy to help- and if you want I can give you some resources that have different regional offices.

That would also be helpful, but I don't know about the club yet, I need some time so i can get used to high school, but I will really appreciate it  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:12 pm
Yeah, depending on where you live it might be a bit difficult to get enough support to get it off the ground, but I think high school GSAs are a great idea and worth the effort. I remember how having a high school GSA really helped me feel more confidant in my sexuality. It meant that I wasn't alone in how I was feeling and gave me the guts to come out to my friends. Of course my GSA turned out to mostly be one huge drama. But just the fact that it was there made me feel better even if the actual club was terrible.  

Anja Sedai

Timely Traveler

20,450 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items