Kamiki

Fandom Fox

20,600 Points
  • Elysium's Hero 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:16 pm
LOLTERNATIVE

The hiring thread even said that past issues would not matter. However, I know for a fact that they did and were brought up. A lot of promising talent was lost this way and it's a real damned shame that people couldn't look past petty differences.

x2. Not only do I agree that that past "drama" should be overlooked unless it was extreme - people DO mature over the course of years - but why bother to specifically put in the rules that past drama wouldn't be a hiring consideration when it was?

Additionally, no one who didn't edit didn't even get a chance to be hired. I think having a healthy selection of unedited colorists that can help with not just familiars, but unedited flatsales, customs, and breedings would be wonderful.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:02 pm
To the idea of people doing scars/shops without having the lines, I think it would be a huge mistake as there would be no quality control--which is another complaint of people's.

I would love to see unedits hired. In general, more hiring. I mean all that stuff last year to essentially hire about as many people who took hiatus or left?

I also do think that biases should be gotten past but only if they are actually bias. I say this because some people are deliberately inflammatory and no matter how AWESOME their skills are (or how suck) they should never be hired because they can't cope with people.

I also think that inflammatory statements from mules hurt rather than help our arguments.

Also, I'd love to see a purge of colourists who aren't here/haven't worked in ages or have had to have their stuff traded off. If it's your computer, it's one thing. If you can be active in every other shop but here, then you should be let go.  

Nyx Queen of Darkness
Crew

Devout Bloodsucker

28,200 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Medalist 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50

Ktns

Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:33 pm

I agree with the previous posts. Tho I might add, people get their panties in a bunch over a lot of misread, assumed attitude over text. I agree with... LOL? I think? That if they havent been so horrible as to blacklist or even graylist from the shop, then clearly they arent really breaking any rules and more times than not maybe its a misconception or even if its not they arent really as much as a raging b- that they are being made out to be lawl. Did I mention I agreed with LOL? 'Nough said on that.

As far as posting on a mule, welp, it wasnt too bad since it actually added to the conversation and opened it up to how people really feel and yanno, from personal experience, sometimes its hard to stand up for what you believe in without getting torn to shreds. Tho this topic isnt really up for discussion on if people should be allowed to post without fear of backlash so Ill end there.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:56 pm
The topic is up for discussion--the post was inflammatory and not level-headed. Some of the points being valid doesn't override the fact that the person on this mule had to "sling mud" and call people names to get their point across.

If you have to sling mud to get your point across, your not hiding behind a mule because you're scared of what they'll do to you unfairly--you're afraid you'll get in trouble for being aggressive and inflammatory.

Telling staff to "get their heads out of their butts" isn't going to make staff do anything but get pissed.

If we want to have grown-up solutions, we have to have grown-up conversations with level-headedness and discussion.

So yes, things need to change, but how can we expect anyone to listen if we resort to calling them names?  

Nyx Queen of Darkness
Crew

Devout Bloodsucker

28,200 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Medalist 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50

Theidren
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:16 pm
Alrighty lovely ladies! Lets not cling to the negative and keep focused on the extremely interesting ideas that are happening in here biggrin

I don't blame the person for choosing to post from a mule. Conversations in these threads tend not to have a healthy and conductive endings. Plus...you can't always tell in which tone something was meant. Little too blunt? Yes definitely. I'm just sorry the person felt the need to do this in this manner and was frustrated enough to choose poor wording.

GOOSEFRABAAA everyone and pet the furry wall! <333

LOLTERNATIVE

This me getting on with it

I agree with your post!! biggrin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:18 pm
non-shop official answer...in case that needs clarified

I just want to throw out there that the goal currently, as stated before, is to get the current employees to a level where they are able to do breedings and customs for shop-goers. Any sort of colorist hiring/training takes A LOT of work (and I mean A LOT) from the other staff members. Particularly Mind, who approves work and helps with redlines when staff are trying to develop their editting skills. Hiring new colorists would add to this, and still leave there to be the same number of breeding/custom slots. I cannot speak directly to hiring uneditted colorists for breedings/customs because that is not currently a shop position.

And in particular looking at Mind's 5 breedings to do, since that was brought up, some have been transferred from other colorists. It just kind of happens that RL got the best of some senior colorists all at the same time this year.

But there is work being done to train and promote colorists to junior and senior levels.  

slimycrow

Original Codger

CheshireKttty

Magical Cat

13,600 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:54 pm
I feel as if I need to put in my two cents here.

1. While people do tend to be attacked for their opinions, using a mule to slander and verbally abuse the shop is not something that I can condone. I don't feel that someone should be able to get away with such hateful commentary simply because they are 'hiding.' They should still be subject to the rules of the shop whether under a mule or not.

2. While I can understand that adding more staff might be a bit of a head-ache for some of the current staff, I feel that the benefits might be worth it. As people have previously stated, there are a LOT of staff listed as 'staff' and with 'crew' access that have not been seen or heard from in months. I also feel that hiring colorists for the unedited stuff would help trim down on some of the workloads (or at least try to help the demand and maybe bring in a bigger love of unedited pets.) There are plenty of amazing colorists out there who don't have the talent to edit (or aren't up to soquili level edits) that can still do soquili level coloring.

3. As far as overlooking bias' and past offenses, I agree 100% with Nyx. People can change a lot over the years and mature. I myself have been known to be hot-headed but I've been trying very hard to work on that issue.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:29 pm
I think this is getting a little out of hand and only further proving the point of people needing to use mules to be able to express their opinions.

Was lemon a little blunt in how she put her opinion across? Yes. Could she have worded it better? Probably. Was it slander? No. She spoke the truth and it was reiterated by multiple people, myself included, who were not accused of slander.

I believe this person was singled out because she was on a mule which is NOT fair in any regards. If she did something to break the rules it is the staff's jobs to punish her and deal with it; not us as customers to become vigilantes and start lighting pitch forks, so to speak.

I do believe that mules are sometimes necessary to discuss unpopular opinions and I don't believe that those opinions should be disregarded because they posted on a mule. Her comments opened up discussion and brought across some points that had not before been raised. Points that I and others in the thread agreed with without any repercussion.

Let's keep it civil , guys. Staff can't change anything if every time a suggestion pops up they have to deal with drama instead.  

LOLTERNATIVE

Super Trash

Ktns

Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:16 pm
LOLTERNATIVE
I think this is getting a little out of hand and only further proving the point of people needing to use mules to be able to express their opinions.

Was lemon a little blunt in how she put her opinion across? Yes. Could she have worded it better? Probably. Was it slander? No. She spoke the truth and it was reiterated by multiple people, myself included, who were not accused of slander.

I believe this person was singled out because she was on a mule which is NOT fair in any regards. If she did something to break the rules it is the staff's jobs to punish her and deal with it; not us as customers to become vigilantes and start lighting pitch forks, so to speak.

I do believe that mules are sometimes necessary to discuss unpopular opinions and I don't believe that those opinions should be disregarded because they posted on a mule. Her comments opened up discussion and brought across some points that had not before been raised. Points that I and others in the thread agreed with without any repercussion.

Let's keep it civil , guys. Staff can't change anything if every time a suggestion pops up they have to deal with drama instead.

This x100.

People use mules because of the exact same over board defensiveness that happens every time something comes up that is unpopular. It wasnt slander nor was it damnable. Again, I speak entirely from personal experience, and sometimes, yeah.. I totally wished I would have used a mule instead of getting what I have now.

Thanks Lol for putting it so well.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:45 pm
For the record where inactive staff are concerned, the front Soq page isn't really updated. Several staff members have left the shop and some have joined (Like me!) since it was last updated.  

Revolutionary Roniel

Indestructible Dragon

Phail Ninja
Vice Captain

Man-Hungry Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:21 am
LOLTERNATIVE

Seconding this. And LOL's former post. I think you've said everything that needs to be said.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:25 am
I still think hiring item colorists is a plausible idea, there could easily be quality control put in place, either having them get the finished product approved (I think they do this already with the JR staff? and I don't think it would be too much more of a time sink.) - or having hem passa quality control check up every X amount of weeks (Which is how it is handled in SOA I believe)

Unedited colorists would also help lessen the work load I think - there are a great many Unedited pairings in breedings..and unedited customs that could be taken out by colorists who are wonderful at coloring but maybe not great at hair or items. It would also increase the available prize pools for monthly flaffles, small event prizes ect ect. In other words I really don't see the downside of having unedited colorists in the shop.

As for hiring people who have caused past problems..I have mixed feelings. Do people mature? Yes and should people be given a chance to prove that they have..of course...but on the other hand do I really want to (as a customer) deal with a staff member who has over and over again in the past caused problems or proven to be temperamental?..not really. I don't really know how to that could be fairly decided - its really a personal experience thing I think.

As for posting on mules. I get it..but at the same time I can't bring myself to take a persons words seriously or with any sort of real consideration if they can't bring themselves to say it without donning a mask.  

JetAlmeara
Crew

Eloquent Raider

Darkmoon Dancer

Shameless Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:17 pm