Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
not really sure why this bothers me Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:09 am
so i have a few friends who are agasitn gay marraige, and im ok with that. this is america land of the free and they are allowed to have differing opinions than me on issues so long as they are respectful and dont go around saying that gays rape kids or anything like that

now i recently met a new person at an outing with some friends and she wanted to be my friend aswell and started inviting me to things and friended me on facebook. i havent told her im bisexual and probably wont unless it comes up in conversation so i really hsouldnt be mad at her about this, but she keeps posting up marraige should be between one man and one woman stuff on facebook.

i really have no idea why its bothering me this much, i dont give a crap when my family or other friends do this but when she does it it just gets me mad. idk, maybe its because she is a new friend and i dont feel as close to her as my other friends

and no, im not going to come out to her or ask her to stop posting this stuff. if it keeps pissing me off whenever she does it ill just unfriend her and move on. im just baffled as to why it bothers me so much  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:08 am
For me- that kind of stuff presses my buttons because I think everyone should be treated with respect, dignity and equality. It rubs my sense of morals, justice and stuff the wrong way.

While we live in America- that doesn't mean that everything someone says is a good thing, so if it were me, I'd just unfriend her.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:37 am
Esiris
For me- that kind of stuff presses my buttons because I think everyone should be treated with respect, dignity and equality. It rubs my sense of morals, justice and stuff the wrong way.

While we live in America- that doesn't mean that everything someone says is a good thing, so if it were me, I'd just unfriend her.

i dont mind people with different views at all so long as they are respectful about it, ans so far she hasnt shown any sign of disliking the gay community.

idk, maybe its just my gut telling me i dont really want to be friends with her  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:07 am
I'd be equally as annoyed and would probably have voiced my disagreements with her postings as each one arose.

Likewise, I agree with you not making a stink about your sexuality. If it's not an issue, why make it one, right?

I do think, however, that if you have qualms with her opinions that you are fully entitled to voice your own. Many of my friends have views that greatly oppose my own but it doesn't make them any less likable or any less my friends because they don't see the world the way I do, if that makes sense.

So while you are bothered, I don't think you should let it weigh down on you and instead I think you should contradict her own claims, respectfully of course.

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:26 am
I admittedly have trouble being friends with people who think I don't deserve rights, just because I happen to be queer. I have friends who fall all over the political spectrum, but only a very few who don't support equality. They are not vocal about that stance, at least around me, and I'm grateful for it. These are people with whom I became good friends before the topic of sexuality came up. I still value their friendahip, but it's hard sometimes. I'm sure it's difficult for them as well, and I appreciate their efforts at maintaining our good relationship.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:03 pm
Der Fluch des Pharao
I'd be equally as annoyed and would probably have voiced my disagreements with her postings as each one arose.

Likewise, I agree with you not making a stink about your sexuality. If it's not an issue, why make it one, right?

I do think, however, that if you have qualms with her opinions that you are fully entitled to voice your own. Many of my friends have views that greatly oppose my own but it doesn't make them any less likable or any less my friends because they don't see the world the way I do, if that makes sense.

So while you are bothered, I don't think you should let it weigh down on you and instead I think you should contradict her own claims, respectfully of course.

maybe i should post up some more pro gay stuff and just see if she makes an issue about it?

im really not good with confrontation and so far she hasnt done or posted anything rude, just things with a different opinion than what i have.  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

castrillo

Devout Man-Lover

9,700 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:12 pm
I don't get how you guys can even be friends with someone who looks at you as an unequal undeserving of rights everyone else has. Like, it baffles me. I made sure to drop all my friends with that point of view when I was working on flushing the negativity out of my life for my mental health.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:01 pm
castrillo
I don't get how you guys can even be friends with someone who looks at you as an unequal undeserving of rights everyone else has. Like, it baffles me. I made sure to drop all my friends with that point of view when I was working on flushing the negativity out of my life for my mental health.

Agreed. It makes me sick when people say things like that, how dare they have a say in who can and can't be married. Some people.  

Barbie Lux

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:46 am
castrillo

if someone is activly fighting against my roghts then i probably wouldnt be friends with them, but if someone just doesnt believe that its right for gays to be married then they have every right to think that. i have quite a few friends who disagree with me on what we consider important issues, everyone is allowed to have their own opinion.

just using this as an example, my boss doesnt believe in gay marraige. we talk about it sometimes and he is very level headed. the only thing he is doing about it is voting republican. he doesnt make a huge issue about it and neither do i. so far it hasnt brought anything negative to my life because no one i talk to has made it an issue. when my boss found out i was bi he didnt say ew or anything, we just talked about it a bit then went back to work

plus if i become friends with these people then later they find out im a filthy bisexual then there is a chance to help change their opinion of lgbt stuff biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:53 am
Shanna66
castrillo

if someone is activly fighting against my roghts then i probably wouldnt be friends with them, but if someone just doesnt believe that its right for gays to be married then they have every right to think that. i have quite a few friends who disagree with me on what we consider important issues, everyone is allowed to have their own opinion.

just using this as an example, my boss doesnt believe in gay marraige. we talk about it sometimes and he is very level headed. the only thing he is doing about it is voting republican. he doesnt make a huge issue about it and neither do i. so far it hasnt brought anything negative to my life because no one i talk to has made it an issue. when my boss found out i was bi he didnt say ew or anything, we just talked about it a bit then went back to work

plus if i become friends with these people then later they find out im a filthy bisexual then there is a chance to help change their opinion of lgbt stuff biggrin

What do you mean fighting against your rights though? You have to think, realistically, at least, if you live in the US, voting against your rights is the worst thing someone can do to you.

Or are you meaning to say that your friends dont support gay marriage yet vote for equality anyways? Because I really doubt that.

If you were someone of color, would you still be friends with someone who believed in segregation, or who were against inter-racial marriage?

I don't see the point. It's insulting to me that someone could refer to me as a friend yet not believe in my future. neutral  

castrillo

Devout Man-Lover

9,700 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:02 am
castrillo
Shanna66
castrillo

What do you mean fighting against your rights though? You have to think, realistically, at least, if you live in the US, voting against your rights is the worst thing someone can do to you.

Or are you meaning to say that your friends dont support gay marriage yet vote for equality anyways? Because I really doubt that.

If you were someone of color, would you still be friends with someone who believed in segregation, or who were against inter-racial marriage?

I don't see the point. It's insulting to me that someone could refer to me as a friend yet not believe in my future. neutral

by fighting agaisnt my rights i mean activly telling people that im evil and going to hell, or being an a** like the westbro baptist nutjobs. and voting republican is not the worst thing in the world, there are plenty of other reasons to vote republican besides the gay rights issue. plus the president doesnt have much power to change things state by state so i really dont care

i do have friends who vote democrat and who arent for gay marraige because they realise the only reason they are agaisnt it is because of their beliefs and dont have a good reason to make it illegal in the government. i do the exact same thing with abortion, im agaisnt it but i wont fight agaisnt someone's right to do it because its purely a religous thing

i would not be friends with someone who believed in segregation, that is nothing like what we are talking about right now. that would be like me being friends with someone who didnt want to stand too close to me because they are afraid they might catch the gay

to each their own. i prefer to keep an open mind about the people around me in hopes that i can change their opinions and make this world a bit of a better place  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:10 am
Shanna66
castrillo
Shanna66
castrillo

by fighting agaisnt my rights i mean activly telling people that im evil and going to hell, or being an a** like the westbro baptist nutjobs. and voting republican is not the worst thing in the world, there are plenty of other reasons to vote republican besides the gay rights issue. plus the president doesnt have much power to change things state by state so i really dont care

I never said voting republican. I said voting against your rights. As in, when your state puts marriage equality on the ballot, are your friends going to vote against it? That IS personal insult. That IS actively working against you.

Quote:
i do have friends who vote democrat and who arent for gay marraige because they realise the only reason they are agaisnt it is because of their beliefs and dont have a good reason to make it illegal in the government. i do the exact same thing with abortion, im agaisnt it but i wont fight agaisnt someone's right to do it because its purely a religous thing

But that's tolerance. You never clarified your friends views other than they don't think you deserve the same rights as they do.

Quote:
i would not be friends with someone who believed in segregation, that is nothing like what we are talking about right now. that would be like me being friends with someone who didnt want to stand too close to me because they are afraid they might catch the gay

Not really. Segregation is basically saying, "Yes, you can drink water, just not from my water fountain." You can be gay, you just can't get married like the heterosexuals. Someone who doesn't support marriage equality doesn't support a gay persons future/liberty as a citizen. Pretty simple stuff.

Quote:
to each their own. i prefer to keep an open mind about the people around me in hopes that i can change their opinions and make this world a bit of a better place

Well, I guess that works for you. Just realize everytime you get chummy with them that in the back of their mind they don't look at you the same based off nothing but prejudice. exclaim  

castrillo

Devout Man-Lover

9,700 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:14 am
castrillo
Shanna66
castrillo
Shanna66
castrillo

I never said voting republican. I said voting against your rights. As in, when your state puts marriage equality on the ballot, are your friends going to vote against it? That IS personal insult. That IS actively working against you.

Quote:

But that's tolerance. You never clarified your friends views other than they don't think you deserve the same rights as they do.

Quote:

Not really. Segregation is basically saying, "Yes, you can drink water, just not from my water fountain." You can be gay, you just can't get married like the heterosexuals. Someone who doesn't support marriage equality doesn't support a gay persons future/liberty as a citizen. Pretty simple stuff.

Quote:

Well, I guess that works for you. Just realize everytime you get chummy with them that in the back of their mind they don't look at you the same based off nothing but prejudice. exclaim

i can see that im not changing your opinion on this and im sure you can guess that you arent changing mine, how about we just end this so i dont have to sit here trying to explain every little detail about the people i know wink  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:15 am
I don't need to know anymore about homophobic people. heart  

castrillo

Devout Man-Lover

9,700 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100

Demon Wolf Kyra

Dangerous Shapeshifter

13,375 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:39 pm
Oh man I shouldn't have even came to this one because I can write you a whole 10 page essay on why gay marriage is no different than straight marriage and how it won't effect the "-cough cough- so called Sanctity of marriage.....even though Kim K and a 72 hour marriage and Britney S had a 55 hour long one -cough cough-" or "mess up the children"
and how also people, like this new friend of yours posts "Marriage is between a man and woman" are only using the Bible definition which came out *after* the Legal definition-which does not specify gender
and how a real Biblical marriage depicts marriage between your rapist/sister/siblings/many women (wives and concubines) and it continues, If you want it all in an amusing way I will direct you to Betty Bowers Explains Traditional Marriage To Everyone
now my rant done-i seriously could continue too xD
If it bothers you, you can bring it up with her, unsuscribe from her fb and hide them or defriend her
emotion_hug  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces