Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
A teacher today Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Symptom_of_Society

Fatcat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:16 pm
Today my teacher explained to us, in a semi-relevant discussion, how homosexuality is incorrect, it is against her religion and personal views, and she doesn't want to see it, but how she still accepts homosexuals . Now, I am not sure this was the right thing to announce to the class or not. First off, it has changed my image of her. It also put me in an awkward situation in a class of 10, in which some of them know i am Bi. On the other hand, I respect people's beliefs and their right to free speech. I am stuck on this matter, so I ask you of your opinions.

Was this an ok, or insensitive thing to do?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:16 pm
Personally, I see that as offensive. And the fact that she says it is against her religion and personal views, and that she does NOT want to see it, means she in fact, does not accept homosexuals. I know people who have said they do, when it is against their religion and personal views, and don't want to see it at all. And in the end, they either realize they are being idiots, and actually accept it, or they finally admit that they do not in fact, accept it. But that is just what I have found out from personal experience honestly.

PandaCub3

Romantic Pirate

Conker4253

Romantic Lover

9,250 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:15 pm
Xx_LunaJade_xX
Today my teacher explained to us, in a semi-relevant discussion, how homosexuality is incorrect, it is against her religion and personal views, and she doesn't want to see it, but how she still accepts homosexuals . Now, I am not sure this was the right thing to announce to the class or not. First off, it has changed my image of her. It also put me in an awkward situation in a class of 10, in which some of them know i am Bi. On the other hand, I respect people's beliefs and their right to free speech. I am stuck on this matter, so I ask you of your opinions.

all I can say is she has no right to say that in school, you can report her. and that it makes you feel like she might make you an outcast  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:19 am
Generally speaking, teachers, especially in high school (not sure if you're in high school) are supposed to refrain from expressing their opinions and actually can be reprimanded for doing so.

Personally, I could give a ******** what any of my teachers personal opinions on matters of homosexuality are. They're there to teach me material relevant to the class at hand and nothing more. Unless I ask their opinion, I don't really care to hear it.

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:36 am
i would pull her aside after class one day and tell her how uncomfortable that made you feel. she may not have meant for what she said to sound so offensive. often times people who dont spend alot of time with lgbt people will say things and not realize how offensive they are being. just talk to her about it. if she starts being overly rude or just downright horrible to you then report her

also some people just arent comfortable with gay stuff, and thats fine, people are raised in different ways and have different views. so long as she doesnt start going around saying how gays will lead to the end of america or any other bullshit like that then she isnt really doing any harm imo.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:28 pm
sounds a alot like my mom...

But yeah I agree with Shanna66. Talk to her and if she continues to make you feel uncomfortable, report her  

TheLostAngel-Mika

Rainbow Elder

14,750 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

ForeverDreamWithinADream

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:05 pm
I can see how that is offensive and would make other students uncomfortable. Unless it is a religious school/class, she has no business to even bring it up and state that homosexuality is wrong.

First of all, she is there to teach, not point out how people are going against her religion. Many people don't have the same beliefs or even part of the same religion. She needs to realize that and realize there may be students from time to time that are gay, bi, etc...and might make them feel bad. You can't force her to change her mind, but she should keep some thoughts to herself in order to avoid conflict.

I know I wouldn't want to get into a debate at school, just had a similar discussion with my mom the other day.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:40 pm
That is offensive, and since teachers aren't supposed to say things like that to begin with, I'd report her if I were you. She is there to teach, not share personal opinions. Especially when they go with her religion, which isn't allowed in schools. Don't bother talking to her; she's made it clear that she isn't going to accept it, so it's pointless.  

Rainbow Neko Fairy

Clean Smoker

Sissi von Osterreich

Liberal Shopper

5,600 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Champion 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:23 pm
She has the right to her opinions but shouldn't impose them on the students. Talk to her and tell her that those comments made you feel uncomfortable, or report her.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:44 pm
As awkward as it might seem, try to see if anymore students if not the whole class wouldn't mind speaking with you to the teacher after class time. First, less of a target that way. Second, it's a shocker to her that she really should've kept her mouth shut. And, if you do it in a respectful manner, keeps some respect for you for speaking up and nicely.

Then, if she does something of the sort again, I'd speak to her boss. No matter how semi-relevant the topic is, a teacher is supposed to know when to keep her views quiet.

iiParadoxical

Symptom_of_Society

Fatcat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:37 pm
The only problem with reporting her is that again ,its a realy small class, and it wouldnt be hard to point fingers at me crying . Also, untill yesterday, i really liked this lady as a teacher, i respected her...
Conker154
Xx_LunaJade_xX

all I can say is she has no right to say that in school, you can report her. and that it makes you feel like she might make you an outcast

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:41 pm
yes, I completly understand this position. Im just worried if and when I will get over this and be able to see her as positively as I did prior.
Shanna66
i would pull her aside after class one day and tell her how uncomfortable that made you feel. she may not have meant for what she said to sound so offensive. often times people who dont spend alot of time with lgbt people will say things and not realize how offensive they are being. just talk to her about it. if she starts being overly rude or just downright horrible to you then report her

also some people just arent comfortable with gay stuff, and thats fine, people are raised in different ways and have different views. so long as she doesnt start going around saying how gays will lead to the end of america or any other bullshit like that then she isnt really doing any harm imo.

Symptom_of_Society

Fatcat

Symptom_of_Society

Fatcat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:45 pm
Yea, I believe her commentary on the matter was unnecissary to the conversation.
Also, I think she is under the belief assumes that there are no gay students in her class. She has practically said so.
Thx for the perspective
Playboy Karasu Uchiha
I can see how that is offensive and would make other students uncomfortable. Unless it is a religious school/class, she has no business to even bring it up and state that homosexuality is wrong.

First of all, she is there to teach, not point out how people are going against her religion. Many people don't have the same beliefs or even part of the same religion. She needs to realize that and realize there many be students from time to time that are gay, bi, etc...and might make them feel bad. You can't force her to change her mind, but she should keep some thoughts to herself in order to avoid conflict.

I know I wouldn't want to get into a debate at school, just had a similar discussion with my mom the other day.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:50 pm
The surprising thing is, no one else has even mentioned this conversation.(then again, she was speaking in another language because it was a language class, and few pple may have understood her.) Also, I have reported teachers before for saying even worse things to the class. didnt go so well, I always felt like i betrayed them crying
iiParadoxical
As awkward as it might seem, try to see if anymore students if not the whole class wouldn't mind speaking with you to the teacher after class time. First, less of a target that way. Second, it's a shocker to her that she really should've kept her mouth shut. And, if you do it in a respectful manner, keeps some respect for you for speaking up and nicely.

Then, if she does something of the sort again, I'd speak to her boss. No matter how semi-relevant the topic is, a teacher is supposed to know when to keep her views quiet.

Symptom_of_Society

Fatcat

Symptom_of_Society

Fatcat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:51 pm
thank you guys for your divided, yet helpful, input.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff