Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Interpretation of Scripture
Thoughts on scriptures

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:48 am
Since this forum has been here for a while and hasn't had anything posted yet, I figured I'd post one verse and see what you all think of it and I'll most likely post my response at a later date. Keep checking back since I'll try to post a new verse each week. The purpose is to share our thoughts concerning certain Bible verses.

When you post about a Bible verse, just write what you feel or think about that verse. Perhaps write about how this verse can be applied in life, or why it is important. You can post memories associated with the verse posted as long as it follows Gaia's ToS and the Guild Rules.

Here is the first verse I will post:

Psalm 23: 1 - 6 NIV:

The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk
through the darkest valley,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Surely your goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
forever.

Psalm 23: 1 - 6 KJV:

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:19 am
It's important to remember that we have a King who doesn't just "care about us", but "provides for us": he nourishes our bodies with food and nourishes our soul with rest/refreshment; someone is protecting you so don't worry: don't worry about where your food will come from or about enemies jumping out to get you. He guides us into "green pastures". Just the sight of a green pasture is peaceful in and of itself, but it also functions as an abundant source of food for eating and a place to rest in; enemies are easily spotted from afar and even when they draw close, he can defend us with his rod/staff. That shepherd's staff isn't just there for protection from enemies, but for correcting his sheep. If we step out of line, he can bring that rod of correction down on us to keep us from walking off the path and walking into danger. So we should rely on that staff regardless of what kind of action it is taking: beating away an enemy or disciplining us back into safety. Relying on the staff is to rely on the shepherd, to rely on the word, his words, the scriptures.

If we do, we'll be given stillness and peace because we don't have to worry about where our food will come from or about the consequences of an attack. Even if someone does attack us, we're not worried about it; we stay still without scattering or becoming anxious because, through the examples in scripture, we know the possible outcomes. As long as we're following his voice, following his advice, walking on his righteous path, we won't fear death or our enemies. A lot of the time, his commands keep us from experiencing such things in the first place. But even at the time of death, we won't fear. If we're threatened with death, we won't crumble, we won't compromise our beliefs, we won't stop trusting in his ability to save us. Even if he chooses not to, we know "spirit death" is something we will never experience and we'll never be separated from him if we rely on him until the end. So, green pasture or dark valley (good times, bad times, good situations, bad situations), just keep your eyes and your ears on him. Focus on him because he won't lead you wrong.  

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

StwartMad1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:26 pm
John 15:12 "This is my comandment, that you love one another just as I have loved you" I sometimes think that all of us including myself has sometimes forget this especially when there is conflict between us and also to include Matthew 5:44 and Luke 6:27 in which he said to "Continue to love your enemies and to pray for those persecuting YOU" and he explains it in Matthew 5: 45-46 in which he said "that you may prove yourselves sons of YOUR father who is in the heavens, since he makes his sun rise upon wicked people and good and makes it rain upon righteous people and unrighteous. For if YOU love those loving you, what reward do YOU have? Are not also the tax collectors doing the same thing?" It is very hard for most of us to do this especially if one endures lots of persecution and people doing bad things upon you but it is something that Jesus taught us and he did say that in Luke 21:12 and John 15:20 that people will persecute you mainly on account of you being in union with him but noneoftheless we must try to do this or pray for help in doing this  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:55 pm
Isaiah 43:2

When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you;
when you walk through fire you shall not be burned,
and the flame shall not consume you.

I think this verse is wonderful because it lets you know that no matter what situation you find yourself in, God will see you through it. God will keep it from overwhelming you and through Him you will have the victory.  

iamlost4ever

Interpretation of Scripture

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff