Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Frustrating Textbook Definitions Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shameless Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:22 pm
I'm a senior in high school and decided to take child development as a slack off easy A class. This chapter, I came across the definition of sexuality. My teacher blabbed on and on about how people start noticing the opposite gender blah blah. (We've all heard it.) What makes me so mad is it was NEVER like that for me. I've never been attracted to the opposite gender. EVER. And my teacher didn't acknowledge the fact that this was even an option. The definition of sexuality in the textbook was also strictly related to "straight intentions." I realize I am in a child development class, but that doesn't mean that only people who can physically have kids should be in the class. Anyone can care for a child, regardless of their sexuality.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:08 pm
Sadly, this type of thing is all too common in public schools. Usually it's not until college (and sometimes not even then) that much attention is paid in school to anything differing from the established norm.

That's really true of more than just gender and sexuality, though.  

Purple Robot Queen

boopster91

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:15 pm
As a bisexual female i think it's wrong to say that straight people are the only ones who can have babies and that it has to be a man or a woman it's not fair like you said it doesn't matter about sexuality itmatters if you truly love someone wether it's a child or not.and it hurts me when people make discriminating comments or jokes about the LGBT community? I know for a fact that my mom is highly against it and judges me for having a friend who's a married lesbian.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:17 pm
Purple Robot King
Sadly, this type of thing is all too common in public schools. Usually it's not until college (and sometimes not even then) that much attention is paid in school to anything differing from the established norm.

Quote:
i'm in college and i haven't met any people that aren't straight (hetrosexual) and it sucks since i'm bisexual andmit's hard to hide it i told a classmate who's a girl and she was cool with it which was awesome.

boopster91

Purple Robot Queen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:26 pm
boopster91
Purple Robot King

Quote:
i'm in college and i haven't met any people that aren't straight (hetrosexual) and it sucks since i'm bisexual andmit's hard to hide it i told a classmate who's a girl and she was cool with it which was awesome.

I'm sure it depends on where you go to school. My college is very liberal, and I've met dozens of other gay students, so maybe my experience has been unusually good.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:25 pm
Shameless Smile

I couldn't agree with you more, I've been taking child studies or as my school call's it 'parenting' for a while now. Since I'm Asexual I don't plan on having children in the "normal" way, because of this it get's awkward. Now my teacher doesn't make it heterosexual based, which I love her for, but the textbooks do.  

Anne Rice Vampire Lover

Shameless Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:34 pm
Anne Rice Vampire Lover
Shameless Smile

I couldn't agree with you more, I've been taking child studies or as my school call's it 'parenting' for a while now. Since I'm Asexual I don't plan on having children in the "normal" way, because of this it get's awkward. Now my teacher doesn't make it heterosexual based, which I love her for, but the textbooks do.

My teacher and the book make it heterosexual based. She also straight up said "I do not believe in bisexuality." That absolutely baffled me, especially since she is supposed to be an idol who people look up to.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:55 pm
Shameless Smile
Anne Rice Vampire Lover
Shameless Smile

My teacher and the book make it heterosexual based. She also straight up said "I do not believe in bisexuality." That absolutely baffled me, especially since she is supposed to be an idol who people look up to.

Quote:
i feel that is wrong. Not everyone has to like the LGBT community but they should be respectful of the ppl who are especially a teacher. I feel upset about this because i am bisexual. And i have really great friends who are battling issues with being gay and my good friend is scared to tell her parents she's BI

boopster91

Anne Rice Vampire Lover

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:15 pm
Shameless Smile
Anne Rice Vampire Lover
Shameless Smile

Wow that's bad even if she thinks it she should keep her options to herself, are there any other Bi/Gay people in the class?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:00 pm
As i explained in another topic, this scenerio happened to me as well. Apparently many teachers dont see it as an issue to state these beliefs infront of their class. I dont think its acceptable.
Anne Rice Vampire Lover
Shameless Smile
Anne Rice Vampire Lover
Shameless Smile

Wow that's bad even if she thinks it she should keep her options to herself, are there any other Bi/Gay people in the class?

Symptom_of_Society

Fatcat

Anne Rice Vampire Lover

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:38 pm
Xx_LunaJade_xX
As i explained in another topic, this scenerio happened to me as well. Apparently many teachers dont see it as an issue to state these beliefs infront of their class. I dont think its acceptable.
Anne Rice Vampire Lover
Shameless Smile
Anne Rice Vampire Lover
Shameless Smile

Some teachers are bad for such things as I have noticed, one time I actually punched a teacher because my friend is gay and we were both in a class and the topic had come up and the teacher said he didn't think it was 'right' to be gay. At first we were shocked at this but let it slide because we know there are just people out there like that but then the teacher started marking my friend absent when he was there and I confronted the teacher about it and all they replied with was "So, why should it matter to me if he doesn't pass. I don't see him in the class." Well long story short it ended with me breaking the teachers nose, getting suspended for two weeks but on a plus I got the teacher fired for what they said. Sorry I'm rambling.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:55 pm
Education sure has gone down hill. I remember those classes and I remember not really being in love with anyone or really caring about marriage and kids, yet finding all sorts of people attractive. Of course, I didn't think much of it at the time.

Anyone can raise kids, there are many ways to have kids now that is unconventional (adoption, surrogates, in vitro, etc...). Doesn't have be just a man and women and what about the parents who are on their own as well? I think what I child needs is a good and loving home that can support them and that has nothing to do with gender or how many people live in that home.  

ForeverDreamWithinADream

TigerLilyChick

Devoted Lovergirl

20,475 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:11 am
Anne Rice Vampire Lover
Some teachers are bad for such things as I have noticed, one time I actually punched a teacher because my friend is gay and we were both in a class and the topic had come up and the teacher said he didn't think it was 'right' to be gay. At first we were shocked at this but let it slide because we know there are just people out there like that but then the teacher started marking my friend absent when he was there and I confronted the teacher about it and all they replied with was "So, why should it matter to me if he doesn't pass. I don't see him in the class." Well long story short it ended with me breaking the teachers nose, getting suspended for two weeks but on a plus I got the teacher fired for what they said. Sorry I'm rambling.

You weren't rambling. You were standing up for what you believe in. The teacher shouldn't have marked your friend absent because he's gay. And it's nice to see that teachers can still get fired.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:46 am
TigerLilyChick
Anne Rice Vampire Lover

You weren't rambling. You were standing up for what you believe in. The teacher shouldn't have marked your friend absent because he's gay. And it's nice to see that teachers can still get fired.

Thanks the teacher had just pissed me off so much, to be honest I think the main reason he was fired was because he slapped me back not because of his attitude towards gays which pisses me off more but at least he probably find another job teaching. So at least it worked out sort of, it felt a little like a hollow victory to me. confused  

Anne Rice Vampire Lover

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:34 pm
Anne Rice Vampire Lover
TigerLilyChick
Anne Rice Vampire Lover

Thanks the teacher had just pissed me off so much, to be honest I think the main reason he was fired was because he slapped me back not because of his attitude towards gays which pisses me off more but at least he probably find another job teaching. So at least it worked out sort of, it felt a little like a hollow victory to me. confused

shouldnt matter why he got fired, the point is he got fired and hopefully will never be a teacher again if he feels its ok to hit a student.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff