Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Questions & Answers
How Can a Light for God be Re-lit?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

whisperkid12

Blessed Raider

6,900 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Champion 300
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:36 pm
The scenario:
There is this girl that I brought to the last day of a Mission Conference 4 months ago, who accepted Christ after watching a brutal reenactment of the crucifixion. Admittedly I was not pushing her near as much as I should have. A few days ago we started dating and I did NOT realize how far she's strayed until now. Also, she can't start attending church with me until Wednesday, assuming that isn't another one of those "I don't desire to go to church at all" excuses.

I want to say something but I'm afraid that she'll just throw on a mask to essentially try and buy affection.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:44 am
People stray when they disbelieve. Being moved by your emotions in a moment is one thing; believing this to be true with the totality of your heart, genuinely and unshakably, is something else. Only one of these has truly experienced conversion. I suppose you could ask her, "is this real for you?" Does she believe it actually happened? If so, then why isn't she treasuring his words?

Quote:
Matthew 16:24

Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.

This is what he expects out of every single person that chooses to follow him or anyone who chooses to take on his name: die to self and follow him, be guided by his words, daily. To "take on" his name means to "take on" his character; if you don't do that, you take his name in vain. She needs to go through the gospels and apply what our Savior says. Go through the gospels with her if you must. Make it a habit when you're together to read a chapter until you finish that specific book (i.e. you start reading the gospel of Luke or John, read a chapter one day, then another chapter another day, until you finish it). Don't read straight-through, think about what each verse is saying, dialogue about it while you read because you need to be conscious of what you're reading. His words will do the work when heeded. He's the only one who can relight that lamp.

Remember, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make her drink. If she has no interest in following the way, the truth and the life, then you can't be yoked. She's going one way and you're living by another. So if she ends up "not interested" after a couple attempts, then leave that relationship; you make things difficult for yourself by pursuing a relationship with an unbeliever. If she truly believes in him, she needs to respect what he's saying. Ask the Father to open her eyes, give her ears to hear, for his Holy Spirit to give you (and her) discernment when you sit down to read.

Perhaps she just needs an example of someone who genuinely believes, who is willing to live out their faith in front her and include her.  

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

whisperkid12

Blessed Raider

6,900 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Champion 300
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:48 pm
real eyes realize
People stray when they disbelieve. Being moved by your emotions in a moment is one thing; believing this to be true with the totality of your heart, genuinely and unshakably, is something else. Only one of these has truly experienced conversion. I suppose you could ask her, "is this real for you?" Does she believe it actually happened? If so, then why isn't she treasuring his words?

Quote:
Matthew 16:24

Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.

This is what he expects out of every single person that chooses to follow him or anyone who chooses to take on his name: die to self and follow him, be guided by his words, daily. To "take on" his name means to "take on" his character; if you don't do that, you take his name in vain. She needs to go through the gospels and apply what our Savior says. Go through the gospels with her if you must. Make it a habit when you're together to read a chapter until you finish that specific book (i.e. you start reading the gospel of Luke or John, read a chapter one day, then another chapter another day, until you finish it). Don't read straight-through, think about what each verse is saying, dialogue about it while you read because you need to be conscious of what you're reading. His words will do the work when heeded. He's the only one who can relight that lamp.

Remember, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make her drink. If she has no interest in following the way, the truth and the life, then you can't be yoked. She's going one way and you're living by another. So if she ends up "not interested" after a couple attempts, then leave that relationship; you make things difficult for yourself by pursuing a relationship with an unbeliever. If she truly believes in him, she needs to respect what he's saying. Ask the Father to open her eyes, give her ears to hear, for his Holy Spirit to give you (and her) discernment when you sit down to read.

Perhaps she just needs an example of someone who genuinely believes, who is willing to live out their faith in front her and include her.

Interesting, I've kind of made it a point to try and not get too attached unless she comes back. Honestly I've thought about just ending it already, but at the same time I know that could potentially pull off her only link to getting that introduction about God.
Also, from what I understand she doesn't own a bible and it totally spaced my mind at wal-mart  
Questions & Answers

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games