Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
How do you go about meeting people? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Scootin Dadimir Putin

Raider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:54 pm
I live in an extremely small town, like the population is under 1000 I think.. At my school there are very few people who are out, me being one of them, and frankly the others are jerks. Well, to me, not to each other. I was wondering how I would go about meeting potential mates, there are no clubs in my area because the county I live in has outlawed them. slfdflsdfksdh
Also, the fact that I am really socially retarded does not help me at all. I tend to word vomit on people as soon as I meet them. xD  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:04 pm
i would give online dating a try  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:08 pm
Hmm, I grew up in a very isolated area myself.

Well, not to be a downer, but given the population of your town, it's quite possible that you won't meet a potential "mate" in your area. Even if there were other people who were out, that's no guarantee that you'd be a good match. sweatdrop

I think most people end up meeting each other either through school or extra-curricular groups, work, clubs, or through mutual friends.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:15 pm
Shanna66

Where/How do I do that?
More where than how, but yeah. xD  

Scootin Dadimir Putin

Raider

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:19 pm
Biertic
Shanna66

Where/How do I do that?

i would use a gree website, there are a few out there, just google for them. i met my husband on a myspace dating ad i put out xd  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:19 pm
Taeryyn
Hmm, I grew up in a very isolated area myself.

Well, not to be a downer, but given the population of your town, it's quite possible that you won't meet a potential "mate" in your area. Even if there were other people who were out, that's no guarantee that you'd be a good match. sweatdrop

I think most people end up meeting each other either through school or extra-curricular groups, work, clubs, or through mutual friends.

I've tried bringing the people who are out, together in a club like thing, but the school refused to let me start it up. The principal is really religious and keeps claiming that he can't let me start up the club for liability reasons. That and parents would complain.
But, I've only got one last year here, so I guess if I have to wait at least it won't be too long of a wait.
Thank you for the advice. c:  

Scootin Dadimir Putin

Raider

Scootin Dadimir Putin

Raider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:22 pm
Shanna66
Biertic
Shanna66

Where/How do I do that?

i would use a gree website, there are a few out there, just google for them. i met my husband on a myspace dating ad i put out xd

Thank you! xD
That sounds super adorable.
To be honest though I am surprised it worked out. Dating ads like that don't usually end up in long term relationships. c:  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:27 pm
Biertic
Shanna66
Biertic
Shanna66

Where/How do I do that?

Thank you! xD
To be honest though I am surprised it worked out. Dating ads like that don't usually end up in long term relationships. c:

dating in itself usually doesnt end up working long term, it takes a few tries before you find someone right for you. online dating isnt any different smile  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Scootin Dadimir Putin

Raider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:37 pm
Shanna66
Biertic
Shanna66
Biertic
Shanna66

Where/How do I do that?

Thank you! xD

dating in itself usually doesnt end up working long term, it takes a few tries before you find someone right for you. online dating isnt any different smile

I wouldn't know.
I myself have never been in a relationship.
I mean I have had an offer, but I declined because I felt nothing.
Usually I am pretty cautious and make sure that the person meets most of my "requirements" before even considering dating people.

Dating sounds painful. Haha. xD  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:38 pm
Biertic
I've tried bringing the people who are out, together in a club like thing, but the school refused to let me start it up. The principal is really religious and keeps claiming that he can't let me start up the club for liability reasons. That and parents would complain.
But, I've only got one last year here, so I guess if I have to wait at least it won't be too long of a wait.

That sounds frustrating.
In any case, if you only have a year left, that's good. I suspect that it'll get a lot easier to meet people if you get a chance to move somewhere with a larger population.  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:51 pm
Biertic
Shanna66
Biertic
Shanna66
Biertic
Shanna66

Where/How do I do that?

Thank you! xD

I wouldn't know.
Usually I am pretty cautious and make sure that the person meets most of my "requirements" before even considering dating people.

i was never too fond of dating, i hated having to pur forth an effort into being with someone and seeing them all the time, i guess thats why online dating worked out so well for me. for the first month or 2 all we did was talk online and didnt even meet each other, then when we did start doing stuff together it was only on the weekends because we lived an hour away from each other and we both had work and school. i think it made the transition easier for me and made me want to spend more time with him. all my other relationships was me trying to think up excuses to have a day to myself

my sister seems to enjoy dating much more than i ever did. i swear she spends more time with her boyfriend than i do my husband who im living with lol  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:51 pm
Taeryyn
Biertic

That sounds frustrating.
In any case, if you only have a year left, that's good. I suspect that it'll get a lot easier to meet people if you get a chance to move somewhere with a larger population.

It was kind of frustrating the first time, because I had done so much work planning activities and stuff. After that though I just expected a "no" so it wasn't as bad.
Hopefully, I will be moving to Orlando in June, if I get accepted to UCF.
I hear that there is a pretty active LGBT club there.  

Scootin Dadimir Putin

Raider

Scootin Dadimir Putin

Raider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:20 pm
Shanna66
Biertic
Shanna66
Biertic
Shanna66

Thank you! xD

I wouldn't know.

i was never too fond of dating, i hated having to pur forth an effort into being with someone and seeing them all the time, i guess thats why online dating worked out so well for me. for the first month or 2 all we did was talk online and didnt even meet each other, then when we did start doing stuff together it was only on the weekends because we lived an hour away from each other and we both had work and school. i think it made the transition easier for me and made me want to spend more time with him. all my other relationships was me trying to think up excuses to have a day to myself

my sister seems to enjoy dating much more than i ever did. i swear she spends more time with her boyfriend than i do my husband who im living with lol

I am glad to see that I am not the only person who does this.
I always make excuses so I don't have to hang out with friends, I mean I enjoy them and all, but I need my own time. xD  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:34 pm
Biertic
Shanna66
Biertic
Shanna66
Biertic
Shanna66

Thank you! xD

I wouldn't know.

I am glad to see that I am not the only person who does this.
I always make excuses so I don't have to hang out with friends, I mean I enjoy them and all, but I need my own time. xD

im horrible at that, or really fantastic and blowing people off, whichever you want to view it as xd but i really enjoy my me time.  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:26 pm
                    by being a snarky, cynical, stone-cold marvel villain worthy staring at nothing mood-swingy nutjob as usual

uh, i tend to just wait for people to come up to me? i'm heavily introverted (seriously- my mom and dad have me on social skills because i'm "surly" and i'm antisocial, that's how introverted i am- although they have never seen me on the internet).

so really, smile and say hi and before you know it i'll be a mood-swinging machine-gun talking disaster whos' gawking at anyone they find pretty, which tends to be girls.
                    .-.

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces