Tipsy Sex Symbol

7,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:32 pm
From September 30th to October 6th.....

it's banned books week!
Banned books week started in 1982 after a massive increase in the number of books banned in schools, libraries, and book stores. This week was created by the ALA to draw attention to the issue of books being challenged in the U.S. During this week it is time to celebrate the freedom to read!
Many frequently challenged books are some of the most famous books in American history, such as To Kill A Mockingbird. For a list of frequently banned books and banned books week go to bannedbooksweek.org
What are your opinions on banned book week? Even if you're not in the U.S. you can get in on the discussion. I personally love reading, and I think it is great that the ALA wants us to read the books that are challenged.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:23 pm
Bump!

Deep_Throat_Epidemic

Tipsy Sex Symbol

7,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Brandisher 100

StrayKit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:53 pm
i think banning books is ridiculous. i am a strong believer that if something offends you, or goes agaisnt what you believe in, are comfortable with, or want to acknowledge, or anything else, you shouldn't read, watch, or listen to it. what you may dislike may be something another will greatly enjoy. and To Kill a Mockingbird is an EXCELENT book and well worth a read for anyone who loves books. yes, it has language that could make people uncomfortable and confronts issues that may cause the same thing, but that was how it was back in the time the story is set and people need to keep that in mind.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:05 pm
I agree with StrayKit. I read "To Kill A Mockingbird" in high school and I own it now. It does cover a controversial topic but it is still a really good and educational book.

edit: I just read the top 10 list.. this book is on there and one of the reasons is 'racism'. I may be looking at it wrong, but I think that this book is actually a good resource to use when teaching against racism. neutral

As for some of the others.. does religion really need to cause a conflict with everything? Not all religious people are against things like "Harry Potter" and "The Hunger Games". OTL  

khionna

Salty Wench

39,800 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Jolly Roger 50

Deep_Throat_Epidemic

Tipsy Sex Symbol

7,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:21 pm
StrayKit
i think banning books is ridiculous. i am a strong believer that if something offends you, or goes agaisnt what you believe in, are comfortable with, or want to acknowledge, or anything else, you shouldn't read, watch, or listen to it. what you may dislike may be something another will greatly enjoy. and To Kill a Mockingbird is an EXCELENT book and well worth a read for anyone who loves books. yes, it has language that could make people uncomfortable and confronts issues that may cause the same thing, but that was how it was back in the time the story is set and people need to keep that in mind.

I agree completely. In our country we are suppose to have freedom of press, so why ban the books? Some books do have very controversial topics, but most of the topics are things that relate to everyday life. They are things that everyone deals with. I think some of it is people think that if they don't read or hear about it they won't have to deal with those issues, but that's not the case. Some of the banned books actually have very insightful and helpful ideas in them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:25 pm
ll-Frantic-ll
I agree with StrayKit. I read "To Kill A Mockingbird" in high school and I own it now. It does cover a controversial topic but it is still a really good and educational book.

edit: I just read the top 10 list.. this book is on there and one of the reasons is 'racism'. I may be looking at it wrong, but I think that this book is actually a good resource to use when teaching against racism. neutral

As for some of the others.. does religion really need to cause a conflict with everything? Not all religious people are against things like "Harry Potter" and "The Hunger Games". OTL

I also read To Kill A Mockingbird in high school, and it is still one of my favorite books. I think anti-racism is one of it's main ideas, so I do agree that it is a little ridiculous. While the topic of racism is sensitive, I don't think it makes any sense to ban a book just because it has something to do with that topic.
I've never been religious, but one of my close friends is. People seem to be very defensive about their religion, and I don't see the point in it. Everyone is intitled to their own beliefs. Some arguments are just silly

Deep_Throat_Epidemic

Tipsy Sex Symbol

7,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Brandisher 100

StrayKit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:27 pm
XxCorrupted AngelxX
StrayKit

I agree completely. In our country we are suppose to have freedom of press, so why ban the books? Some books do have very controversial topics, but most of the topics are things that relate to everyday life. They are things that everyone deals with. I think some of it is people think that if they don't read or hear about it they won't have to deal with those issues, but that's not the case. Some of the banned books actually have very insightful and helpful ideas in them.

i had to resist the urge to headdesk when i read the kid's guide to pregnancy book was on the list. if that's bad then they should ban every book explaining puberty  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:32 pm
XxCorrupted AngelxX
I also read To Kill A Mockingbird in high school, and it is still one of my favorite books. I think anti-racism is one of it's main ideas, so I do agree that it is a little ridiculous. While the topic of racism is sensitive, I don't think it makes any sense to ban a book just because it has something to do with that topic.
I've never been religious, but one of my close friends is. People seem to be very defensive about their religion, and I don't see the point in it. Everyone is intitled to their own beliefs. Some arguments are just silly

Exactly! It's like they think if they delete all traces of what happened in the past and no one remembers it then it will just disappear. History is history, even if you don't like it. Deleting it completely will cause it to repeat itself more than keeping the books around for people to read about it will.

Religion wise, I am religious. Well, maybe not as much as some people, but I still have my beliefs and stick by them. The thing is, when a book is in the fiction section of the library it is not meant to be taken as something literal and religiously derogatory. People can be completely ridiculous at times.

Oh, and to add to my first post: I love "Where the Wild Things Are"! It was my favorite book as a child. gonk  

khionna

Salty Wench

39,800 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Jolly Roger 50

Quokka Flocka Flame

Gracious Duck

9,150 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:36 pm
Banned Book Week is one of the happiest times of the year. I love reading and hate censorship, so it's a great way to promote some really awesome books. I read The Absolutely True Confessions of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie earlier in the week to celebrate; it was banned for sex education and racism, among other reasons.

I can't even get into how stupid it is to find sex education offensive; I mean, it wasn't even the little bits of sexuality that they were referring to, because that got its own complaint. And as for the racism bit, the book is written from the perspective of a 12-year-old Native American who leaves the reservation every day to go to an all-white school. Of course the book is going to have instances of racism, but that doesn't mean that the book contains racist material. I'd bet $100 that it was a white person that tried to complain about the racism in the book. rolleyes  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:40 pm
I remember reading Huckleberry Finn in English.
everyone got excited because our teacher explained to us that it was one of the most banned books in the country.

It was a hard read(translating the thick accents) but it was good  

VenetianTemper

Beloved Seeker

5,500 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Voter 100
  • Profitable 100

ChiffaniChan

Aged Gaian

8,125 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:42 pm
My favorite banned book is A Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:23 pm
I don't like banning books. If someone wants to read one, why should we stop them? If a parent wants their kid to not read it, surely they can briefly explain why that kid might want to avoid it, I suppose. But to just go on and ban it from everyone in an area that wants to read it is ridiculous.  

xoAniLuv

Dangerous Lunatic

9,350 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Alchemy Level 2 100

Kitalpha Hart

Feline Phantom

9,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:50 pm
I can probably find most of the "banned" books at my school. If not in the library, then with one of the English teachers
All the teacher says that if you don't want to read a word, skip the word, or change it. Very few do, most kids read it as is  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:51 pm
Why people feel the need to censor things from EVERYBODY just because THEY'RE uncomfortable with it is beyond me.
It's a very conceited way of thinking, to be honest.

If reading/doing something makes you uncomfortable. just don't be a part of it?
why ruin it for everyone?

so Banned book Week is a cool idea ^^

diet bepis

Kitten

Xshy_but evilx

Shy Gaian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:49 am
Daintyy
Why people feel the need to censor things from EVERYBODY just because THEY'RE uncomfortable with it is beyond me.
It's a very conceited way of thinking, to be honest.

If reading/doing something makes you uncomfortable. just don't be a part of it?
why ruin it for everyone?

so Banned book Week is a cool idea ^^

I agree 100% but I have come to realize that there will always be those people who will ruin something that's a good thing for everyone else.  
18. ✿ - - - Books

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff