Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply Off-Topic
what is important to you?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

cvbkfgbkjmgbcj

Timid Darling

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:04 pm
So in some silly school-wide activity, everyone had to make a list of the 16 things that they couldn't live without or were the most important to them--four people, four things, four activities/conceptual things and four personal values. We were then instructed to cross off items on this list until left with only one, "getting rid of" the things that were less important to others.
Is this wrong?

I felt it was wrong--asking me to choose between my mother, my sister, my father? Who does that?
Could you have done it? Was it cruel to ask this of us?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:01 pm
Wrong? Cruel? confused Uhh, I'm going to say no, I don't think it's either of those things.

It's just a school activity, designed to make you think about what's important to you and why. I recall doing almost the exact same exercise when I was in school.

I have more than 4 people in my immediate family (mother, stepfather, two brothers, and a sister), so at least one person isn't even making the initial cut. razz Out of all of them, I'm closest to my twin brother. Ultimately, though, one of my values is more important than any person, myself included, so that would probably win out in the end. Ta-da!  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Purple Robot Queen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:29 pm
Taeryyn
Wrong? Cruel? confused Uhh, I'm going to say no, I don't think it's either of those things.

It's just a school activity, designed to make you think about what's important to you and why.

I basically agree with this. I mean, making you choose who would live or die with a gun to your head in some super villain way would be cruel, but that's considerably different than just asking you to take a good hard look at your own priorities.  
Off-Topic

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games