Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply The Room of Requirement (Suggestions, Help, and Useful Guides)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Golden Anbu

Friendly Detective

15,975 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:05 pm
Since we are a large guild with many systems, I decided to make a thread of the questions we answer frequently. Look for the answer here before asking.

Starting out questions
Profile questions
Request Questions
Timeline Questions
More than average (MTA) Character Questions
Magical Creatures Questions
Class Questions
Wizarding World Questions
Miscellaneous Questions
Quidditch Questions

The Crew reserves all rights to add, remove, or rephrase any questions, categories etc. at any time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:06 pm
Starting Out Questions

I’m new, so where do I start?
The best place to start would be to refer to the New to Hogwarts? Read This! thread on the front page of the forums. There, you can get good instructions as to how to start your journey into Hogwarts!

Will it count as inactivity if I'm not posting in OOC chats and such until the school year starts when I can start roleplaying?
Roleplayers will not be considered inactive unless they have only posted less than two times in the guild within a three month period, or haven't posted at all in a six month period. So worry not! If you're really concerned about activity, you can create a professor, a Hogsmeade shop owner, or a magical creature. All three of which you can start roleplaying as soon as they're accepted.

In what order do I post at each of the places leading up to the Sorting Ceremony?
You should first post in the Hogsmeade Station when the train comes into the station. From there, a professor of the school will guide the first years to "the Lake", "the Boathouse", "the Quad", and finally when directed by the Deputy Headmaster/Headmistress, the Sorting Hat. Please follow all prompts by the teachers; they will help you during the trip.

When can I post at the Sorting Ceremony?
When a crew member opens Sorting, which usually happens around a week after the start of the new year.

Who do I talk to if I need help, or advice?
If you need specific help on a matter, like profiles, wand requests, Hogsmeade shops, etc, here is a list of jobs each crew members have.

If you need roleplaying help and advice, you're in luck! Diamond_Wales opened a thread just to help new roleplayers to start out and old roleplayers to improve. Other helpful tips are located here.

If the subject in which you need help does not fit anywhere, just post in the Room of Requirements; Someone will definitely answer you.

I've been Sorted. Now can I post at the table, common room, etc. ?
You may post at the house table during the feast, as in the series, a prefect, or the head of house if a Prefect is unavailable, will lead the firs years to their common rooms and open the rest of the school to the first years.

Students that are second year or up, may sneak away from the sorting feast and post elsewhere but they should keep in mind that should they be caught or in any other way found out may be punished as the professor finds fit.

There was a Schedule posted in my Profile thread, Do I update it or does someone else do it. ie: professor, staff, crew?
The Schedule, both updating and the initial posting is job of a crew member. It is more for reference to help the flow of time then anything.  

Golden Anbu

Friendly Detective

15,975 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Gender Swap 100

Golden Anbu

Friendly Detective

15,975 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:07 pm
Profile Questions

Why isn't my profile accepted yet?
The profile checkers most likely got busy and can't sit down and analyze each non-pending profiles. It may take awhile, but chances are, the profile will be checked within a week, if not three days. Please be patient with them.

Do I have to use the skeleton?
You don't need to, as long as all information required on the profile skeleton provided by us is in your profile.

How do I know what year my professor/shop owner graduated in?
The current school year is always located in the main forum under the Weather & Calendar, please keep in mind that students must be 18 at the age of graduation, unless their birth month is during the summer months (June-Aug).

How will I know someone looked over my profile?
The most obvious way would be seeing "~ Pending" (or any of the other titles, like "Needs Editing") next to your character name. Other ways would be to check the crew comments at the top of the profile (if there is one) or the crew signature at the bottom of your character profile.

What is the difference between "pending" and "accepted"?
Those who are "pending" have not gone through the journey to get sorted yet. In a sense, they're not official students of Hogwarts yet. To get accepted, simply post in designated threads as directed once the school year starts.

On what conditions will a profile be rejected?
If you're not in the guild or if you extensively argue with a profile checker about the necessary edits.

What if I find the necessary unfair and I want to make a case for myself?
If you feel that way, contact the profile checker (they will leave their signature on your profile) nicely through private messages and tell them why you find a certain edit unfair. They will explain why they asked you to change certain things. If you still feel it is unfair, you are more than welcome to talk with the Student Profile Manager.

What are the profile warnings?
Profile warnings are considered to be a third of a normal warning. How you can get them:
1) If you remove crew comment or signature.
2) If you change your title to anything but "~ Edited", "~Please Delete", or "~ Needs Crew Review".
3) If you edit sections of your profile that needs to be looked over by a profile checker, but didn't put "Updated" or "Edited" in your title. See this thread for more information.

I have a profile warning, and it's been there for awhile. Can I request it to be removed from the profile?
Yes, you may. A profile warning must stay on the profile for at least one in-guild school year, and afterwards, you may send a PM to Utsuha Moon to have it removed. However, please note that all profile warnings will stay on your record: just because it's no longer on your profile doesn't mean the warning is nullified.

How are characters sorted into their houses?
At the beginning of every year, The Sorter will examine the personality section of every character and decide which house they should be placed in.

Can I post if my wand is still pending?
Yes, you may, but please refrain from mentioning too much detail of your wand before it gets accepted, because if it gets rejected, then you might have to go back and edit your previous posts to accommodate to your wand.

How many characters am I allowed to have?
As many as you wish, just be sure to know how much you can handle. If you’re new, it might be best to wait until the end of your first year before making any more characters; that way, you can get a feel of what’s expected.

I made a mistake and need to delete a profile. How should I do it?
Don’t panic, just edit the title of your characters profile to say, “~Please Delete.” IE: Tom Harkins ~ Please Delete

I just updated my profile! Do I need a Profile Checker to look it over?
It depends on what was updated. See this thread for more information.

How do I put my character on hold if I'm away for a while?
First, make sure you post in the Absences thread. Then, go ahead and PM the Student Profiles Manager that you would like to put your character on hold. Also, feel free to change the title of your character to "On Hold". Please note that, while this does keep us from deleting your character and moving it to the Whomping Willow subforum for a while, the character is not guaranteed to be there forever.

What will happen if my character is a Mary Sue/Gary Stu?
It is unlikely that a character will be a Mary Sue or Gary Stu, but in the case that it happens, simply tweak the personality and biography a bit; That usually solves it. Though we wouldn't be too concerned about it (just be careful). As most of us know, Harry Potter was a Gary Stu. However, if you really don't want your character to be a Mary Sue/Gary Stu and have no idea how to approach this, PM one of the profile checkers to come to a solution.

Can my witch/wizard become a professional athlete?
No, it violates the International Statute of Wizarding Secrecy for a witch or wizard to compete in muggle sports. However, a squib is exempt from this law.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:21 pm
Request Questions

Plot Requests

When should I submit a plot request?
This thread explains everything about when a special plot request should be needed.

Am I allowed to submit more than one plot at a time?
Yes.

How long will it take for a request to be accepted or denied?
Usually within two days. The special request moderator can get busy at times, so give them at least a week.

On what conditions will a request be denied?
This cannot be accurately answered, since it's almost always on a case-by-case basis. Usually, plots that are too explicitly violent, drag in roleplayers who do not wish to participate, and/or doesn't make sense to the timeline will be rejected. Reasons will be provided, of course.

What if a plot interferes with another plot?
You can assume that the two plots happen at a different time, just within the same thread. If confusion is a problem, simply PM the person with the other plot and work out a time frame during which the two (or more) plots can unfold without any frustration.

Wand Requests

I don't see the wood/core I want for my character. What should I do?
Because there are so many woods and cores, chances are, we missed a couple. Simply send a request to the person in charge of wand requests and wait for a response.

How long should I wait before I should get worried?
Typically this will take about one to two days, however sometimes the person in charge of accepting wand requests does get busy. If this happens, wait a week before sending your application again.

Why did my request get denied?
If too many people have asked for a material and received it, the material may become unavailable for a while. In this case, it is best to find a new material. Occasionally some requests are for wands that make no sense for the character to have.

I don't know what wand would be for my character. Help?
Simply ask Violet the Maestro or Cara MiaKitty for assistance. They are our resident wand experts and will be more than happy to help you.

Pet Requests

Can I request for a pet that is outside of the list?
Yes you can, but you may need the Captain's approval, since some things may suit the environment but are itself not on the list.

Why can first years only own black listed pets?
It says straight out in the books that students can only bring cats, toads, or owls. We're just trying to stick as close as possible to the books, but we did, however, add more animals to the list for second years and up.

Do I have to have a pet?
No, you don't need to.

Face-Claim Requests
Um, if I wanted to use a different celebrity for him when he's older would I have to send in a new request form when he gets there, or can I just include all the details in the one form?
You can reserve the face now as long as you remember to send in a removal form when the current face is no longer being used.

I can't find an appropriate photo for my character. May I use commissioned artwork instead?
Yes.  

Golden Anbu

Friendly Detective

15,975 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Gender Swap 100

Golden Anbu

Friendly Detective

15,975 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:24 pm
Timeline Questions

When does this guild take place?
It has been about 25 years since the Second Wizarding War.

Can I post in multiple threads?
You may post in one roleplay thread. However, Hogsmeade, Quidditch Pitch, Staff room, and the classes subforums run in their own individual timelines (see below for details on these sections) and can be posted in separate from the castle threads. So you may post in a single thread between the Great Hall, Common Rooms, Kitchens, Hallways and the Grand Staircase, Hospital Wing, and the Library.

Class subforums:
You must try to post in all of your classes. If you miss a class session, you either have the option of waiting until the following year to make it up or make up the work in the professor's office

Quidditch pitch:
In the Quidditch pitch, you may post in the Training thread when your captain updates the practices and in the pitch during the games. This subforum runs strickly by calendar dates. Training is open all weekend and updated on selected days of the week for each team. The games, you are either watching or Playing, start on a Saturday and are supposed to end on Wednesday (though these are subject to change if we were unable to start on time).

Hogsmeade:
You may post in a single thread in this thread regardless of if you are in any of the other subforums. This forum is open through out the summer month as well.

Staffroom
This forum is unique in itself. this one doubles as both rp and maintenance section. It is open to primarily Professors only, with the occasional student being accompanied by a professor. it's threads also are made by professor with their title being what it's about as long as it is Harry potter related and possible to do within the room.

When do after-hours happen?
After-hours starts at 11pm Central Standard Time. Watch out for the Caretaker! If your character is in the following areas during that time, the Caretaker might come and give you a detention (so make sure to move your characters before that and announce that your characters have moved to their Common Rooms):
+ Great Hall
+ Hallways
+ Grand Staircase
+ Library
+ Dungeons  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:26 pm
More Than Average Characters Questions

How do I become More Than Average?
Check this thread for detailed information regarding the acceptable More Than Average Types, and how one goes about petitioning for one.

Why limit the amount of people who can be More Than Average?
Simply put, the books are quite clear on the fact those with more than average skills are quite rare. It wouldn't make sense to have 50 animagus running around Hogwarts.

My student/professor/store owner is pending to be a Vampire/Werewolf, but the guild no longer has them running around in the Forbidden Forest. What should I do now?
You could always check the Ministry of Magic and Wizarding World guild to see if there's a vampire or werewolf there willing to change your character. Also, they might pop into Hogsmeade every once in a while, so that might be your chance as well. Here is the information on Vampires. Here is the information on Werewolves.

I have a character whom I would like to become a MTA at some point during their Hogwarts years. I hadn't decided this when I created the character, which is why they are not currently MTA. Do I have to send in the MTA request now, or can I wait until they are an incoming first year?
Yes, yes you can. Go ahead and sent in a request so we can reserve your spot as an MTA.  

Golden Anbu

Friendly Detective

15,975 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Gender Swap 100

Golden Anbu

Friendly Detective

15,975 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:28 pm
Magical Creatures Questions

Am I allowed to make a magical creature that's not listed (ie: pegasus)?
In Hogwarts, no. However, in the sister guild Ministry of Magic, it is a possibility.

Why don't you have the option for werewolves or vampires/I remember there being an option for werewolves and vampires, what happened to it?
We decided it didn't make sense to have some stray vampires/werewolves with no past, running amuck in the Forbidden Forest. There would be more of a system to them, which is what we created. Here is the information on Vampires. Here is the information on Werewolves.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:31 pm
Classroom Questions

What is the List of Knowledge and what does it mean?
The List of Knowledge is similar to “Homework and Classwork” for the guild. The List of Knowledge (LoK) is used to determine what spells are taught in what year, and in which class. It helps smooth out classes, especially if different professors or substitutes are in the class, that way, the same things are always being taught. All boxes must be checked before graduation (year seven). Example: If Max attends all of his Charms I lessons (Wingardium Leviosa, Locomotor, Incendio, and Spongify) during his first year, he can check each of those lessons off in his LoK, and he has therefore "learned" those spells.

I missed a week of lessons, what do I do?
If you’ve missed some classes, there are several options. First, you can try and contact your professor through their office, or via PM, to see if you can make up the missed lesson. Or, you can attend that specific lesson “next year,” to acquire the check for the List of Knowledge. Meaning, if you did not attend the Incendio class in your First Year, then, as a second year student, you may post with the next batch of first years to learn that lesson,

The professor hasn’t posted in class yet, should I wait, or post?
If the professor has not posted, even on the day when classes are supposed to be updated, do not post. Simply wait for the professor. If the professor never attends a lesson you may check off all of your LoK for that class, but, be sure to mention this at the end of the year while ‘Professor Evaluations’ are being issued.

I’m going to be without internet for over a week, what should I do to not fail?
Not a problem! Life has a habit of getting in the way at times, just be sure to post in the Absences Thread to avoid getting expelled/deleted.

Can i post in every subject in the same time?
Yes, this is actually highly Recommended to do or at least as many as you are capable of doing in one sitting. but over all as long as you post in all your classes within the week you will be good to go.

Can I only post in my class on the day that it is listed in my schedule?
No, the schedule is only for in character role play purposes. Say, for instance, Tommy and Billy got into a fight in Potions class. Going by the First Year schedule, Potions is on Wednesday. The schedule lets you know that it would be okay to discuss the fight in Herbology, which is on Thursday, but not Defense, which is on Monday.

Do i have to post my classes in the order that they are listed in the schedule?
This is up to you, you don't technically have to post them in that order but if it will help you keep in order, as in putting that Sarah entered the potions classroom in a rush after having left her Care of Magical Creatures class late, then by all means post it in the order listed.

How do I register for electives?
An announcement is sent during the summer month of the guild. It tells you that class elective sign ups are up, there is a link in the announcement.

I forgot to register for an elective, what do I do now?
You can just send a PM to Essy ze Ninja at this point, since the class list is already made.
Be sure to tell your students name and year!

Where can I find out what classes my student is taking?
There should be a link to all of the classes on the What Electives Should I Take? thread, and you can get all of the classes from that. Might be a bit of work, but everyone that has a class and every class is on that list. The link to the list is here.  

Golden Anbu

Friendly Detective

15,975 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Gender Swap 100

Golden Anbu

Friendly Detective

15,975 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:33 pm
Wizarding World Questions

If I have a muggle-born character, how do they get to Diagon Alley to buy their school things?
They are escorted by Hogwarts School Governors. The Governor will arrive at the home of the muggle-born, explain the situation to the parents, and take the child to London for shopping for their supplies. The muggle parents may attend as well.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:36 am
Miscellaneous Questions

In the rules, underage magic must be refrained to only self defense, but, what if my character wants to illegally learn magic at home?
That is completely up to you, as the roleplayer to decide, but just keep in mind that in the Ministry of Magic and Wizarding World guild, there might be repercussions to doing so. There are jobs that are available to curb that sort of thing and may get your character into trouble with the wizard law. Just keep that in mind.

Can we bring cellphones, laptops, iPads/iPods/iTouchs, or any electronic device to Hogwarts?
No. This also includes battery-powered devices. The reason being: "Electricity and electronic devices are not found at Hogwarts. Hermione Granger indicates that due to the high levels of magic, substitutes for magic used by Muggles, such as computers, radar and electricity "go haywire" around Hogwarts. Radios, however, make an exception. Rowling explains this by saying that the radios are not powered by electricity, but by magic." (Harry Potter Wiki)

Do the O.W.L.s/N.E.W.T.s support paragraphs?
Unfortunately no, the testing system does not support Paragraphs.

My character is pending because I haven't been sorted yet. Does that mean I still can't role-play in the towns, or can I? I mean, the towns aren't part of Hogwarts, right? So can I role-play there before I'm sorted?
Yes, in fact this is actually encouraged as it helps you stay active while you're waiting for sorting!  

Golden Anbu

Friendly Detective

15,975 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Gender Swap 100

Golden Anbu

Friendly Detective

15,975 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:21 am
Quidditch

Can my First Year tryout for their house team?
Yes they may, however keep in mind that second year and above should take priority for positions on the team.

How long do I have to wait for someone to respond to my post in a match/practice before I can post again?
We have a 6+ hours waiting period, if the character hasn't replied to you within six hours of when you orginally posted your can post again.

I took a shot at the goal but the keeper hasn't rolled to block it, how long do I have to wait to consider it an open goal?
This answer is the same as above, 6+ hours waiting period comes in effect. if the keeper hasn't posted within the waiting period then it's safe to consider an open goal.

What does Natural Flyer do?
Natural Flyer is actually a skill that is still under development, but right now, it adds a +2 to your AC. However, once brooms are figured into the game, it will assist with that as well.

Can I change my skills in Quidditch if I didn't choose good ones/got picked for another position other than the one I wanted?
No, you may not. However, should you take Advanced Flying II, you may, as that class teaches the different positions, and it can easily be seen as your character discovering a better way of doing things in the game. This is only a one-time change, however. That means you need to choose your skills wisely.

What does Quidditch Experience really do?"
It adds a year to your Experience playing Quidditch. That means, those who happen to take it can consider themselves one year higher in that category. However, please keep in mind that you cannot take the MTA unless you have been in the guild for 3 months.

Do the -1 modifiers affect everything, or just your rolls?
They just affect your modifiers for rolling. Your AC remains the same no matter how many bludgers or what the weather conditions are actually.  
The Room of Requirement (Suggestions, Help, and Useful Guides)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games