Lashuri Chan

Generous Giver

10,600 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:41 pm
User Image

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I was getting some food to go two days ago and as I was waiting there was this group of teens talking and this girl was talking about her stepdad and how he was cool because he let her smoke weed. Then another teen started to talk about a teacher and how this teacher was cool because she let the class talk during the class and this just got me thinking about teens and what the word cool means to them.

I have often heard teens back in school talk about how people were cool because they let them do things that they aren't suppose to do.

If you're mom gives you money every time you ask she is cool but God forbid she cuts you off and tells you to get a job.

If a teacher lets you talk and sit where ever you want and doesn't care if you use phones during class then she is cool, but god forbid they have structure and enforce any kind of order in the class because that would make them a douche.

Your manager doesn't care if you fully follow safety procedures or doesn't care if you are texting while on your shift, but god forbid they try to run their workplace like a professional one because that would make them some kind of a b***h.

So since this guild has teens in it, I would like to know if this is generally true or is just my area that has teens like this? Do you or have you ever said to your friends that a teacher or parent was cool because they let you do something that you really are not suppose to do whether the law says your can't or generally society would not approve of, whatever it may be, have you ever said it and if so then why?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:36 pm
I find it funny how you described the teacher, because one of my 'cool' teachers from last year was like that. He would let us sit where ever we wanted, talk and talk with us about whatever, use our phones, or even laptops. However, when we started doing shakespeare and reading it in class, not a single person objected. Why? Because we all respected him. He never twisted our arms, he worked with us. He allowed the class decide the due dates for assignments, and if you needed more time then you tell him before hand, or else you get a zero if it's late. It was up to us to do our work, whether it be in class or on our own time. I learned a lot in that class, I spent my lunch period in his classroom. It was awesome.

L o s t -x- A b y s s

Durem Dark Elf

10,400 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Healer 50
  • Survivor 150

-Summer Cherries-

Questionable Browser

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:50 pm
It's a teenager thing in general, I think. They're at an age where they've attained a level of autonomy they've never had, and want to push at the boundaries of authority a bit. So people/events/etc. that let them get away with things that would normally get them in trouble are seen as "cool". Of course, this doesn't apply to all teenagers - even among them there is a spectrum.

Also, their decision-making abilities aren't fully mature yet. They're bound to do and condone a lot of stupid s**t they're going to be embarrassed about several years down the line. Think of all the adults who go OMG WHY DID I EVER DO THAT BACK THEN.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:23 pm
Yep, pretty much a teenager thing. My college has one of those early college/high school things, and most of the teenagers I've met from those classes are the same way. I believe six or seven of them got arrested just last week. They were talking about how their older friends were 'cool' for giving them weed or alcohol, and didn't realize the campus police were right around the corner. They all got busted when the cops did the monthly drug search with the dogs and everything. Seems they all forgot they had things in their cars that could earn them charges on underage possession and drug possession. One of the cops made me laugh when he said, "Still think those older friends of yours are cool? You can thank them for getting you arrested."  

Scorned Nightmare

Liberal Raider

5,800 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

lana_unlucky

Ruthless Cutie-Pie

23,675 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:15 am
im a teenager (17), and i have to say its really a teenage thing. The step-dad letting you smoke weed is completely stupid, but half the people at my school would be super happy about that. Even I would think it was cool if my mom gave me money whenever i asked, which she doesnt, I have to work. As for the teacher letting us use our phones in class, that seems pointless to me because anyone Id want to text or talk to would be in class too, but my friends would love that. I guess we just get it in our heads that being allowed to do what we're not suppose to is cool because we're spoiled and inconsiderate.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:15 am
Stepdad thing is completely stupid. My only reply to that girl: Your almost a big kid now. Once you hit 18 you can smoke all that and waste your life.  

Avanne

Desirable Hunter

It's A Girl Thing!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces