Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Friendly Debate
Should Christians REALLY Support Israel? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Karo Kiba

Newbie Soldier

9,975 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Contributor 150
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:27 pm
I used to be staunch Christian Zionist but now I am not. I started doing my own research into the palestinian conflict. I discovered, to my horror, that lebanese 'christians' participated in a massacre at the villages of Sabra and Shatila, all while the Israeli army looked on.

The israeli army also regularly harasses palestinian civilians and israeli settlers have even harassed palestinian children while they were on their way to school!

WARNING, the following videos are EXTREMELY GRAPHIC:

Video Israel Doesn't Want You to See
SABRA AND SHATILA MASSACRE  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:14 am
When I pray for Israel, it's for the true Israelites—wherever they are on this planet. There are people who claim to be Yehudi/Judeans but they're actually sons of Satan: fakes, liars, and murderers. Judah is just one tribe as well, Israel is comprised of 12. The true Israel is way bigger than the "Israel" on our map.

Quote:
Revelation 2:9 (NIV)

9 I know your afflictions and your poverty—yet you are rich! I know about the slander of those who say they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan.

Quote:
Revelation 3:9 (NIV)

I will make those who are of the synagogue of Satan, who claim to be Jews though they are not, but are liars—I will make them come and fall down at your feet and acknowledge that I have loved you.

Quote:
John 8:39-44 (NIV)

39 “Abraham is our father,” they answered.

“If you were Abraham’s children,” said Jesus, “then you would[c] do what Abraham did. 40 As it is, you are looking for a way to kill me, a man who has told you the truth that I heard from God. Abraham did not do such things. 41 You are doing the works of your own father.”

“We are not illegitimate children,” they protested. “The only Father we have is God himself.”

42 Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I have come here from God. I have not come on my own; God sent me. 43 Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say. 44 You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

Footnotes:
c. John 8:39 Some early manuscripts “If you are Abraham’s children,” said Jesus, “then

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:07 am
Nobody who participates at a massacre is a Christian. You can't be the temple of God's holy spirit and commit such atrocities, watching and not intervening is pretty much the same as condoning. There is no excuse for that! No matter the nature of the conflict. It goes directly against the instructions given by Jesus to love your neighbor, and to turn the other cheek.

But let us not forget that Israel still holds a special place in God's plan, and supporting Israel, is not supporting the things they do wrong, but supporting their right to exist. Standing up for Israel means standing up for a country with enemies on all sides (the only democratic country in that region, correct me if I am mistaken), a people with historic rights to the country they inhabit, who are constantly under threats of inhalation (see threats made by the Iranian president) by its neighbors. Christianity today sees itself in a special position compared to the Jewish people, but Jesus came first for the Jews, then for the gentiles. Would God abandon Israel? Would God break his promises to Jacob and Isaac?

All eyes are on Israel as promised in prophecy. It has been made a cup of trembling to all nations, and it is promised that those who takes offense to Israel will break themselves against its wall trying to cease power over it.

Zechariah 12:3
On that day, when all the nations of the earth are gathered against her, I will make Jerusalem an immovable rock for all the nations. All who try to move it will injure themselves.

Zechariah 12:2
Behold, I will make Jerusalem a cup of trembling to all the people round about, when they shall be in the siege both against Judah and against Jerusalem.

Also our Lord Jesus Christ will return to Israel. If God has abandoned Israel why would he return to her? Why should we curse what God has blessed?. His foot will touch the rock it left.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:34 am
I believe we should still definitely support Israel. After all, they are God's chosen people. Sure, they may not be spotless when it comes to sin because they are humans like you and me. Don't we also read that in the Bible, too, though? That the Israelites weren't perfect, either? They were given into the hands of their enemies many times because they had been in the wrong, they had worshiped false idols, and turned to other forms of corruption, but notice each time - there is a hope there. That hope is God! God had the power to take them out of the hands of their enemies and they are a special group of people, and God definitely has a plan for them all and perhaps part of their plan is part of the world's plan, too, when we think about Revelation.

Some people believe that Israel is the only place in the world that is holding everything together still - because they were God's chosen people. You know, that may not be such a farfetched idea because we all know what happened when someone went to war with Israel when Israel was indeed in the right. Also, that part of the world holds a lot of Biblical history still, and I'm sure it always will because that is written and God will make that all according to His plan.

In every culture and every religion - you will have people that say, "I am (this religion)," or, "I am (that religion)." and be fakes. I have met many people that say, "I'm Christian!" and they have hurt people so bad that they don't have the love of Christ in their actions. That kind of stuff doesn't only happen in Israel. I would imagine it happens a lot more in the states considering we have more freedom of expression compared to other countries (although even that seems to be dwindling over time).  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

Chewie2590

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:57 am
Israel is God's Land and only he decides who lives in it.
God promised Israel he would Bless those who bless thee and Curse those that Curse thee. That being said I know that Israel today is not right with God and just like in the Old testament Times God will correct them using rival Nations like he warned them he would.
Leviticus 26:14-16 KJV
14 But if ye will not hearken unto me, and will not do all these commandments;

15 And if ye shall despise my statutes, or if your soul abhor my judgments, so that ye will not do all my commandments, but that ye break my covenant:

16 I also will do this unto you; I will even appoint over you terror, consumption, and the burning ague, that shall consume the eyes, and cause sorrow of heart: and ye shall sow your seed in vain, for your enemies shall eat it.

17 And I will set my face against you, and ye shall be slain before your enemies: they that hate you shall reign over you; and ye shall flee when none pursueth you.

He also Gives warning to the Nations not to be the ones he uses to correct them

Obadiah 1
King James Version (KJV)
1 The vision of Obadiah. Thus saith the Lord God concerning Edom; We have heard a rumour from the Lord, and an ambassador is sent among the heathen, Arise ye, and let us rise up against her in battle.

2 Behold, I have made thee small among the heathen: thou art greatly despised.

3 The pride of thine heart hath deceived thee, thou that dwellest in the clefts of the rock, whose habitation is high; that saith in his heart, Who shall bring me down to the ground?

4 Though thou exalt thyself as the eagle, and though thou set thy nest among the stars, thence will I bring thee down, saith the Lord.

5 If thieves came to thee, if robbers by night, (how art thou cut off!) would they not have stolen till they had enough? if the grapegatherers came to thee, would they not leave some grapes?

6 How are the things of Esau searched out! how are his hidden things sought up!

7 All the men of thy confederacy have brought thee even to the border: the men that were at peace with thee have deceived thee, and prevailed against thee; they that eat thy bread have laid a wound under thee: there is none understanding in him.

8 Shall I not in that day, saith the Lord, even destroy the wise men out of Edom, and understanding out of the mount of Esau?

9 And thy mighty men, O Teman, shall be dismayed, to the end that every one of the mount of Esau may be cut off by slaughter.

10 For thy violence against thy brother Jacob shame shall cover thee, and thou shalt be cut off for ever.

11 In the day that thou stoodest on the other side, in the day that the strangers carried away captive his forces, and foreigners entered into his gates, and cast lots upon Jerusalem, even thou wast as one of them.

12 But thou shouldest not have looked on the day of thy brother in the day that he became a stranger; neither shouldest thou have rejoiced over the children of Judah in the day of their destruction; neither shouldest thou have spoken proudly in the day of distress.

13 Thou shouldest not have entered into the gate of my people in the day of their calamity; yea, thou shouldest not have looked on their affliction in the day of their calamity, nor have laid hands on their substance in the day of their calamity;

14 Neither shouldest thou have stood in the crossway, to cut off those of his that did escape; neither shouldest thou have delivered up those of his that did remain in the day of distress.

15 For the day of the Lord is near upon all the heathen: as thou hast done, it shall be done unto thee: thy reward shall return upon thine own head.

16 For as ye have drunk upon my holy mountain, so shall all the heathen drink continually, yea, they shall drink, and they shall swallow down, and they shall be as though they had not been.

17 But upon mount Zion shall be deliverance, and there shall be holiness; and the house of Jacob shall possess their possessions.

18 And the house of Jacob shall be a fire, and the house of Joseph a flame, and the house of Esau for stubble, and they shall kindle in them, and devour them; and there shall not be any remaining of the house of Esau; for the Lord hath spoken it.

19 And they of the south shall possess the mount of Esau; and they of the plain the Philistines: and they shall possess the fields of Ephraim, and the fields of Samaria: and Benjamin shall possess Gilead.

20 And the captivity of this host of the children of Israel shall possess that of the Canaanites, even unto Zarephath; and the captivity of Jerusalem, which is in Sepharad, shall possess the cities of the south.

21 And saviours shall come up on mount Zion to judge the mount of Esau; and the kingdom shall be the Lord's.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:01 pm

I don't believe that support of Israel is necessary. Because the Israelites are no longer God's people. Christians are.

God tells Israel that she will be His special treasure (Exo. 19:5).

This title has been passed on to the Church. We are now the chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God's own possession. (1 Peter 2:9). We offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ (v.5). Whoever believes in Christ will not be put to shame (v. 6-7) but those who do not believe have nothing that God will accept. We are a living stone rejected by men but accepted by God, and we are precious to Him (v. 4).

Praise be to God!

Keep in mind that Abraham was nothing more than a gentile. God called him out of paganism. We are justified by faith, as Paul speaks of in Romans. Our faith in Jesus Christ is counted to us as righteousness before God, and so we are justified. God's justice and grace be forever and ever.

We, the Church, are now the temple of God. There is no need to build a new temple in Israel because Israel is no longer a land or the Jews. Jesus Christ is Israel, and anyone who is associated with Him is also Israel. His Church is Israel. His Church is precious, far more precious than Israel, purchased with His very blood, the blood of God (Acts 20:28 ). Furthermore, while the Holy Spirit only came upon certain individuals for a temporary time in the Old Testament, the Holy Spirit dwells within believers (2 Timothy 1:14, 1 Cor. 3:16). The Holy Spirit pours out gifts of the Spirit upon us as believers, not upon the Jewish nation of Israel (1 Cor. 12:7-11).

The Church was purchased with the blood of Christ. We are the ones God has made a new covenant with, as was prophesied in Jeremiah 31:31-34. His law is written on our hearts. And the first covenant is obsolete. The second covenant has come (Heb. 8:13).

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

ultrafirebird

Super Powerhouse

12,400 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
  • Battle: Knight 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:35 am
I would have to respectfully disagree with some of the points said.

One: We all have to keep in mind that we are still human and make mistakes. Even if they are ruthless and violent ones. There is no such thing as a forgivable or an unforgivable sin. You either sin or you don't. I don't plan on being someone's judge because that's God's job.

Two: I don't remember reading in the bible that Christians were God's new chosen people. I am a Christian too, but I dont think that he decided to switch out. I mean look in the old testament on how the Israelites defied him again and again. But he still loved them in the end; just how he loves the rest of the people who believe him: Jew, American, African, Asian. Whoever. Besides,In Revelation, it talks about nations trying to destroy Israel but failing.

And I also want to respectfully add that Christ didn't make us born again us to be his slaves. He was the servant who served us, but from him we are the ones to serve others and preach the word to others. And only then can we help save them.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:05 pm
ultrafirebird

One: We all have to keep in mind that we are still human and make mistakes. Even if they are ruthless and violent ones. There is no such thing as a forgivable or an unforgivable sin. You either sin or you don't. I don't plan on being someone's judge because that's God's job.

Two: I don't remember reading in the bible that Christians were God's new chosen people. I am a Christian too, but I dont think that he decided to switch out. I mean look in the old testament on how the Israelites defied him again and again. But he still loved them in the end; just how he loves the rest of the people who believe him: Jew, American, African, Asian. Whoever. Besides,In Revelation, it talks about nations trying to destroy Israel but failing.

And I also want to respectfully add that Christ didn't make us born again us to be his slaves. He was the servant who served us, but from him we are the ones to serve others and preach the word to others. And only then can we help save them.

That's why I referenced Scripture, dearest sister.

1 Peter 2. You can look it up and see for yourself. The Church and the Holy Spirit indwelling in us is a fulfillment of the Jeremiah passage, which the writer of Hebrews touches on.

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

ultrafirebird

Super Powerhouse

12,400 Points
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:29 pm
Scarlet_Teardrops
ultrafirebird

1 Peter 2. You can look it up and see for yourself. The Church and the Holy Spirit indwelling in us is a fulfillment of the Jeremiah passage, which the writer of Hebrews touches on.

Hm, which version do you read?  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:36 pm
ultrafirebird
Scarlet_Teardrops
ultrafirebird

ESV. The ESV, NIV, and NASB all say the same thing. I'm pretty sure the others will say it too.

Also (regarding Revelation), remember that Revelation is very symbolic. In other words, what you are quoting may in fact be a reference to the Christian Church, which will in fact prevail to the end, since it is the Church. Praise be to the LORD Almighty for purchasing and establishing His bride, the Church, the new Israel!

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

ultrafirebird

Super Powerhouse

12,400 Points
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:46 pm
Scarlet_Teardrops
ultrafirebird
Scarlet_Teardrops
ultrafirebird

ESV. The ESV, NIV, and NASB all say the same thing. I'm pretty sure the others will say it too.

Also (regarding Revelation), remember that Revelation is very symbolic. In other words, what you are quoting may in fact be a reference to the Christian Church, which will in fact prevail to the end, since it is the Church. Praise be to the LORD Almighty for purchasing and establishing His bride, the Church, the new Israel!

I just wanted to make sure since there are versions that water everything down like soggy mash potatoes. And even though we are filled with the holy spirit, that doesn't make us a chosen people. That makes us saved and born again to preach the Gospel. We are not a new Israel.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:47 pm
ultrafirebird
Scarlet_Teardrops
ultrafirebird
Scarlet_Teardrops
ultrafirebird

I just wanted to make sure since there are versions that water everything down like soggy mash potatoes. And even though we are filled with the holy spirit, that doesn't make us a chosen people. That makes us saved and born again to preach the Gospel. We are not a new Israel.

Sister! Peter says that we are in 1 Peter 2! Read it!

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:49 pm
ultrafirebird
Scarlet_Teardrops
ultrafirebird
Scarlet_Teardrops
ultrafirebird

Here. I'll post it for you.

9 But you are (R)a chosen race, (S)a royal (T)priesthood, (U)a holy nation, (V)a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you (W)out of darkness into (X)his marvelous light. 10 (Y)Once you were not a people, but now you are God's people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:52 pm
Scarlet_Teardrops
ultrafirebird
Scarlet_Teardrops
ultrafirebird
Scarlet_Teardrops
ultrafirebird

Sister! Peter says that we are in 1 Peter 2! Read it!

I shall. However, and I dont mean to disrespect you when I say this, but I don't have my bible on me at the moment. And Im not willing to put my faith in botched websites.  

ultrafirebird

Super Powerhouse

12,400 Points
  • Hygienic 200

ultrafirebird

Super Powerhouse

12,400 Points
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:53 pm
Scarlet_Teardrops
ultrafirebird
Scarlet_Teardrops
ultrafirebird
Scarlet_Teardrops
ultrafirebird

Here. I'll post it for you.

9 But you are (R)a chosen race, (S)a royal (T)priesthood, (U)a holy nation, (V)a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you (W)out of darkness into (X)his marvelous light. 10 (Y)Once you were not a people, but now you are God's people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.

Isnt this from the Torah?  
Friendly Debate

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces