Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Friendly Debate
Should Christians REALLY Support Israel? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:53 pm
ultrafirebird
Scarlet_Teardrops
ultrafirebird
Scarlet_Teardrops
ultrafirebird

Hm, which version do you read?

ESV. The ESV, NIV, and NASB all say the same thing. I'm pretty sure the others will say it too.

Also (regarding Revelation), remember that Revelation is very symbolic. In other words, what you are quoting may in fact be a reference to the Christian Church, which will in fact prevail to the end, since it is the Church. Praise be to the LORD Almighty for purchasing and establishing His bride, the Church, the new Israel!

I just wanted to make sure since there are versions that water everything down like soggy mash potatoes. And even though we are filled with the holy spirit, that doesn't make us a chosen people. That makes us saved and born again to preach the Gospel. We are not a new Israel.

Sister! Peter says that we are in 1 Peter 2! Read it!

I shall. However, and I dont mean to disrespect you when I say this, but I don't have my bible on me at the moment. And Im not willing to put my faith in botched websites.

Biblegateway is not a botched website.
And it says the same thing in my ESV. Why don't you get your Bible and read it for yourself?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:54 pm
ultrafirebird
Scarlet_Teardrops
ultrafirebird
Scarlet_Teardrops
ultrafirebird

ESV. The ESV, NIV, and NASB all say the same thing. I'm pretty sure the others will say it too.

Also (regarding Revelation), remember that Revelation is very symbolic. In other words, what you are quoting may in fact be a reference to the Christian Church, which will in fact prevail to the end, since it is the Church. Praise be to the LORD Almighty for purchasing and establishing His bride, the Church, the new Israel!

I just wanted to make sure since there are versions that water everything down like soggy mash potatoes. And even though we are filled with the holy spirit, that doesn't make us a chosen people. That makes us saved and born again to preach the Gospel. We are not a new Israel.

Here. I'll post it for you.

9 But you are (R)a chosen race, (S)a royal (T)priesthood, (U)a holy nation, (V)a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you (W)out of darkness into (X)his marvelous light. 10 (Y)Once you were not a people, but now you are God's people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.

Isnt this from the Torah?

That's the point Peter is making. The Church has BECOME God's new chosen people.

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

ultrafirebird

Super Powerhouse

12,400 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
  • Battle: Knight 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:59 pm
Scarlet_Teardrops
ultrafirebird
Scarlet_Teardrops
ultrafirebird
Scarlet_Teardrops
ultrafirebird

I shall. However, and I dont mean to disrespect you when I say this, but I don't have my bible on me at the moment. And Im not willing to put my faith in botched websites.

And it says the same thing in my ESV. Why don't you get your Bible and read it for yourself?

I'll go onto Bible gateway and I cant get my bible at this second because Im nowhere near my house at the moment. But I'll make sure to look up first and second Peter.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:02 pm
ultrafirebird
Scarlet_Teardrops
ultrafirebird
Scarlet_Teardrops
ultrafirebird

I'll go onto Bible gateway and I cant get my bible at this second because Im nowhere near my house at the moment. But I'll make sure to look up first and second Peter.

No, no. It's 1 Peter. Not 1 and 2 Peter. It's 1 Peter, chapter two. Verses 9-10, though you need to read all of the second chapter of 1 Peter to get the context.

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

ultrafirebird

Super Powerhouse

12,400 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
  • Battle: Knight 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:16 pm
Scarlet_Teardrops
ultrafirebird
Scarlet_Teardrops
ultrafirebird
Scarlet_Teardrops
ultrafirebird

No, no. It's 1 Peter. Not 1 and 2 Peter. It's 1 Peter, chapter two. Verses 9-10, though you need to read all of the second chapter of 1 Peter to get the context.

Okay. thank you for correcting me on that.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:58 pm
"For I do not want you, brethren, to be uninformed of this mystery, lest you be wise in your own estimation, that a partial hardening has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in; 26 and thus all Israel will be saved; just as it is written, 'The Deliverer will come from Zion, he will remove ungodliness from Jacob,'” (Rom. 11:25-26).

It says what it say. When the fullness of the Gentiles (that is us), has come to and end. When he has received those of us who will be saved, he will deal with Israel causing all of Israel to be saved.

I am reading it as it is here, not adding anything of my own except the emphasis.

Old Testament Bible prophecy forewarned of Israel’s rejection of their Messiah. Contrary to popular opinion, God was not surprised or shocked. The Bible warns, as a result of their grievous sin, that God would temporarily “set Israel aside” (not reject them forever) for a season and scatter them throughout all the nations of the world. This judgment began, as Jesus said it would, in 70 A.D. with the destruction of Jerusalem and the Jewish Temple by the Roman general Titus. It is known by Bible scholars as “The Diaspora”. However, through Bible prophecy God also promised to “bring the Jewish people back into their own land that He originally gave them”…and said THAT ISRAEL WOULD BE A NATION ONCE AGAIN JUST BEFORE THE END OF THE AGE at His Second Coming. The Lord told the prophet Ezekiel about a future time concerning the nation of Israel:

Ezekiel 37:11-14
King James Version (KJV)
11 Then he said unto me, Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel: behold, they say, Our bones are dried, and our hope is lost: we are cut off for our parts.

12 Therefore prophesy and say unto them, Thus saith the Lord God; Behold, O my people, I will open your graves, and cause you to come up out of your graves, and bring you into the land of Israel.

13 And ye shall know that I am the Lord, when I have opened your graves, O my people, and brought you up out of your graves,

14 And shall put my spirit in you, and ye shall live, and I shall place you in your own land: then shall ye know that I the Lord have spoken it, and performed it, saith the Lord.

The rebirth of the nation of Israel is a fulfillment of Bible Prophecy and God’s covenant promises to the Jewish people. It officially occurred May 14, 1948. Some theologians claim that the odds of this happening after thousands of years were literally billions to one.

Ezekiel 36:24-25
"'For I will take you out of the nations; I will gather you from all the countries
and bring you back into your own land. I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols.

Ezekiel 36:32
I want you to know that I am not doing this for your sake, declares the Sovereign LORD. Be ashamed and disgraced for your conduct, O house of Israel!

Why would Jesus bother to come back to the same place he left, his feet touching the same rock if God was done with Israel, and we have taken her place (then there is no Israel to return to)? Does God break his promises when we do? Does he not hold to them because of himself, and not because of us? Are the promises to Israel invalid considering that God swore on himself when making these promises regarding Israel? How about Israels part in end time prophecies? Why such prophecies as;

Zechariah 12:2-9
2 Behold, I will make Jerusalem a cup of trembling unto all the people round about, when they shall be in the siege both against Judah and against Jerusalem.

3 And in that day will I make Jerusalem a burdensome stone for all people: all that burden themselves with it shall be cut in pieces, though all the people of the earth be gathered together against it.

4 In that day, saith the Lord, I will smite every horse with astonishment, and his rider with madness: and I will open mine eyes upon the house of Judah, and will smite every horse of the people with blindness.

5 And the governors of Judah shall say in their heart, The inhabitants of Jerusalem shall be my strength in the Lord of hosts their God.

6 In that day will I make the governors of Judah like an hearth of fire among the wood, and like a torch of fire in a sheaf; and they shall devour all the people round about, on the right hand and on the left: and Jerusalem shall be inhabited again in her own place, even in Jerusalem.

7 The Lord also shall save the tents of Judah first, that the glory of the house of David and the glory of the inhabitants of Jerusalem do not magnify themselves against Judah.

8 In that day shall the Lord defend the inhabitants of Jerusalem; and he that is feeble among them at that day shall be as David; and the house of David shall be as God, as the angel of the Lord before them.

9 And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Chewie2590

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:01 pm
Scarlet_Teardrops
ultrafirebird
Scarlet_Teardrops
ultrafirebird
Scarlet_Teardrops
ultrafirebird

9 But you are (R)a chosen race, (S)a royal (T)priesthood, (U)a holy nation, (V)a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you (W)out of darkness into (X)his marvelous light. 10 (Y)Once you were not a people, but now you are God's people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.

That's the point Peter is making. The Church has BECOME God's new chosen people.

Sorry to brake to you but Peter was God's Apostle to the Jews not the Gentiles the Gentiles were given to the Apostle Paul

Galatians 2:7-8
King James Version (KJV)
7 But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;

8 (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles smile

Peter did not witness to Gentiles but to his fellow Jews and you seemed to leave verse 12 out

1 Peter 2:12
King James Version (KJV)
12 Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:11 pm
Scarlet_Teardrops
ultrafirebird
Scarlet_Teardrops
ultrafirebird
Scarlet_Teardrops
ultrafirebird

We have not become God's new chosen people we have become his Children
John 1:12
King James Version (KJV)
12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

and also we have a home in Heaven not a Home on Earth and we are to strive for Heavenly gifts not Earthly

Colossians 3:2
King James Version (KJV)
2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

The Church age was set up to be only a short period for God to bring the Gentiles to Salvation along with the Jews that believe in his name. But God will soon call up the Church and send in the tribulation period to bring his people back in.  

Chewie2590

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:16 pm
Chewie2590
Scarlet_Teardrops
ultrafirebird
Scarlet_Teardrops
ultrafirebird

Sorry to brake to you but Peter was God's Apostle to the Jews not the Gentiles the Gentiles were given to the Apostle Paul

King James Version (KJV)
7 But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;

8 (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles smile

Peter did not witness to Gentiles but to his fellow Jews and you seemed to leave verse 12 out

King James Version (KJV)
12 Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation.

Peter was the apostle to the Jews. That doesn't make Israel the chosen people.

1 Peter 1:1 says that this letter is to the elect exiles. Though Peter is talking to the Jews, he is still referring to Jews in the CHURCH. Even if this means that the Gentiles are not included, this also means that it is NOT Israel. Just the Jews in the Church. So I can stand by what I say. It is the Church that is the chosen, holy people.

If you are not saved, you cannot be God's chosen people. If you keep the Old Covenant you cannot be God's chosen people.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:18 pm
Chewie2590
Scarlet_Teardrops
ultrafirebird
Scarlet_Teardrops
ultrafirebird

We have not become God's new chosen people we have become his Children
John 1:12
King James Version (KJV)
12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

and also we have a home in Heaven not a Home on Earth and we are to strive for Heavenly gifts not Earthly

Colossians 3:2
King James Version (KJV)
2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

The Church age was set up to be only a short period for God to bring the Gentiles to Salvation along with the Jews that believe in his name. But God will soon call up the Church and send in the tribulation period to bring his people back in.

Saying that we are children of God does not invalidate that the Church is God's new chosen people.

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:26 pm
Garland-Green
"For I do not want you, brethren, to be uninformed of this mystery, lest you be wise in your own estimation, that a partial hardening has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in; 26 and thus all Israel will be saved; just as it is written, 'The Deliverer will come from Zion, he will remove ungodliness from Jacob,'” (Rom. 11:25-26).

It says what it say. When the fullness of the Gentiles (that is us), has come to and end. When he has received those of us who will be saved, he will deal with Israel causing all of Israel to be saved.

I am reading it as it is here, not adding anything of my own except the emphasis.

Old Testament Bible prophecy forewarned of Israel’s rejection of their Messiah. Contrary to popular opinion, God was not surprised or shocked. The Bible warns, as a result of their grievous sin, that God would temporarily “set Israel aside” (not reject them forever) for a season and scatter them throughout all the nations of the world. This judgment began, as Jesus said it would, in 70 A.D. with the destruction of Jerusalem and the Jewish Temple by the Roman general Titus. It is known by Bible scholars as “The Diaspora”. However, through Bible prophecy God also promised to “bring the Jewish people back into their own land that He originally gave them”…and said THAT ISRAEL WOULD BE A NATION ONCE AGAIN JUST BEFORE THE END OF THE AGE at His Second Coming. The Lord told the prophet Ezekiel about a future time concerning the nation of Israel:

King James Version (KJV)
11 Then he said unto me, Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel: behold, they say, Our bones are dried, and our hope is lost: we are cut off for our parts.

12 Therefore prophesy and say unto them, Thus saith the Lord God; Behold, O my people, I will open your graves, and cause you to come up out of your graves, and bring you into the land of Israel.

13 And ye shall know that I am the Lord, when I have opened your graves, O my people, and brought you up out of your graves,

14 And shall put my spirit in you, and ye shall live, and I shall place you in your own land: then shall ye know that I the Lord have spoken it, and performed it, saith the Lord.

The rebirth of the nation of Israel is a fulfillment of Bible Prophecy and God’s covenant promises to the Jewish people. It officially occurred May 14, 1948. Some theologians claim that the odds of this happening after thousands of years were literally billions to one.

"'For I will take you out of the nations; I will gather you from all the countries
and bring you back into your own land. I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols.

I want you to know that I am not doing this for your sake, declares the Sovereign LORD. Be ashamed and disgraced for your conduct, O house of Israel!

Why would Jesus bother to come back to the same place he left, his feet touching the same rock if God was done with Israel, and we have taken her place (then there is no Israel to return to)? Does God break his promises when we do? Does he not hold to them because of himself, and not because of us? Are the promises to Israel invalid considering that God swore on himself when making these promises regarding Israel? How about Israels part in end time prophecies? Why such prophecies as;

2 Behold, I will make Jerusalem a cup of trembling unto all the people round about, when they shall be in the siege both against Judah and against Jerusalem.

3 And in that day will I make Jerusalem a burdensome stone for all people: all that burden themselves with it shall be cut in pieces, though all the people of the earth be gathered together against it.

4 In that day, saith the Lord, I will smite every horse with astonishment, and his rider with madness: and I will open mine eyes upon the house of Judah, and will smite every horse of the people with blindness.

5 And the governors of Judah shall say in their heart, The inhabitants of Jerusalem shall be my strength in the Lord of hosts their God.

6 In that day will I make the governors of Judah like an hearth of fire among the wood, and like a torch of fire in a sheaf; and they shall devour all the people round about, on the right hand and on the left: and Jerusalem shall be inhabited again in her own place, even in Jerusalem.

7 The Lord also shall save the tents of Judah first, that the glory of the house of David and the glory of the inhabitants of Jerusalem do not magnify themselves against Judah.

8 In that day shall the Lord defend the inhabitants of Jerusalem; and he that is feeble among them at that day shall be as David; and the house of David shall be as God, as the angel of the Lord before them.

9 And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem.

Hmm...

I concede that you alone have made your case, brother. Praise be to God. And may He bless us all.

I have nothing further to say at this time.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:40 pm
Scarlet_Teardrops
Chewie2590
Scarlet_Teardrops
ultrafirebird
Scarlet_Teardrops
ultrafirebird

King James Version (KJV)

King James Version (KJV)

Peter was the apostle to the Jews. That doesn't make Israel the chosen people.

1 Peter 1:1 says that this letter is to the elect exiles. Though Peter is talking to the Jews, he is still referring to Jews in the CHURCH. Even if this means that the Gentiles are not included, this also means that it is NOT Israel. Just the Jews in the Church. So I can stand by what I say. It is the Church that is the chosen, holy people.

If you are not saved, you cannot be God's chosen people. If you keep the Old Covenant you cannot be God's chosen people.

I should have been more clear that Peter was not just an apostle to the Jews but an Apostle that preached of the Gospel of the Kingdom of GOd witch is in Heaven and not of The Dispensation of Grace witch was the Church Age witch was Given to the Apostle Paul. Peter and the other Apostles did not no about the Church age for Christ did not instruct them to preach of the Church but of Christ's Kingdom it wasn't until Christ converted Paul that the secret of salvation through the Grace of God that the Church age started.  

Chewie2590

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:48 pm
Scarlet_Teardrops
Garland-Green

King James Version (KJV)

Hmm...

I concede that you alone have made your case, brother. Praise be to God. And may He bless us all.

I have nothing further to say at this time.

I thought I should say, just so everyone know where they have me. That I am not an ogre;
I know I can be wrong on issues, and that I am more than likely wrong about something (no one has all the answers but the Good Book itself). I know I am limited in my understanding, and far from being perfect, that is why if anyone disagrees with me and are able to use scripture to make their point I am always willing to moderate my ideas and thoughts should they convict me of my error. =) Also: I don't expect everyone to agree with me, and it is ok if people don't.

God bless you too sister! Praise be to God!  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:31 pm
I suppose my viewpoint is more extreme than anyone here, but I personally believe no Christian should be involved in the military, especially not for external conflicts. It's one thing when it's a domestic threat, but we don't have those anymore.  

Aporeia

Shameless Mystic

Friendly Debate

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas