Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Questions & Answers
About believing

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Chyuuki-chan

Dedicated Trainer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:47 am
I have had this question in my mind for quite a while now. I believe in God and the fact that Jesus died for our sins, but then again I have been wondering that how do I know if I really believe? I mean, I believe but what if in God's eyes I don't? That might sound stupid, I know. But the reason for this is the thing that I doubt some of the stuff by accident. Sometimes I'm trying so hard to figure out how some of the stuff in the Bible are possible.

Like dinosaurs for example. If God created every living creature so that they have been living at the same time, what about dinosaurs? Okay, maybe dinosaurs lived in a different area. But something like that, and it really disturbs me because I don't want to doubt anything. And that's why I'm scared that what if I don't believe even though I think I do. I hope any of you understand what I'm trying to say. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:53 am
Contrary to what people believe the Bible does in fact mention dinosaurs. smile
Doubt can be used constructively to learn more about God. Find out why you doubt things. Look them up. Most doubts have been answered with answers that are very good, at least I feel that way, others may disagree. smile
Objections to the Bible: Dinosaurs  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:11 am
Pretty much what Garland said. Our doubt should lead us into a deeper study of scripture and you will find an answer if you seek it.

Another way to assess your belief: are you applying what Jesus said to do? What is the manifestation of your faith? If Jesus says, "there is a hell", do you deny or accept that? if we're told we'll be physically resurrected upon his return, do you deny or accept that? if we're told to care for the needs of others, are you going out of your way to help those around you, putting their interests above yours? Make Yeshua/Jesus the focus, follow him and his words, and you'll be fine.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:21 am
Yes... but there's also this other thing. I would really like to get some kind of a sign from God, not to know if He's there because I already know that, but just for... me.

I mean, I had my confirmation school (it was a camp) this summer. Every evening we had this thing together where we heard a testimony from one of the tutors and praised the Lord. After that there was a chance for everybody that someone could pray for them if they wanted. And all (I really mean all) the other youngsters got really emotional and when I asked someone to pray for me I just didn't feel it. No tears or anything. And I would want to get something like that too. Does that mean there's something wrong with me? Am I not good enough as a believer? crying  

Chyuuki-chan

Dedicated Trainer

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:42 am
Emotional responses don't determine whether you're a believer or not. That's not biblical. You're a believer based on your spiritual fruit, not whether you "cry or not" when people pray for you. Who knows if they felt pressured to react that way because everyone else cried too or maybe what they asked for really had been weighing on them and once they knew people had petitioned in their favor, they felt relief and expressed that relief through tears.

If you want a sign, there's nothing better than answered prayer. When you pray in private, out of ear-shot, for something that you have no control over or for something that is near impossible to stop, and it comes true, that's really all the sign you need. Especially when it happens over and over and over.

Answered prayer is a sign; crying when people pray over you is not.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:51 am
I know crying or laughing or any kind of emotional reaction is not a sign, but still it would mean something for me... I would really want to feel something even though it wouldn't matter, but I just feel like I was emotionally disabled because even though someone prayed for something that's really hard for me, I don't feel anything at all. But maybe that's just not me then...

And uh, well this is a bit different thing, but what about charismas then? Like speaking in tongues? From what I have heard the stuff people who speak in tongues really sounds like Greek to me (like it wasn't really a language). How do you know if people really speak in tongues? Or how do I know if I have a charisma or how do I know at the moment I get one that I got one?  

Chyuuki-chan

Dedicated Trainer

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:26 am
When you say "charismas" what exactly are you referring to? Is there a specific passage that mentions that word? I've never come across that in scripture. Receiving the Holy Spirit and having it manifest a gift in you, however, I have seen throughout the Book of Acts and a couple of chapters in the epistle to the Corinthians. Biblically, I've only come across people speaking another human language, not babbling on demand (usually the same non-sensical phrase/sound on repeat, that's not biblical).

I recommend reading 1 Cor 12 & 14 for more details on the gifts. If someone speaks in tongues in a congregation (a gathering of believers, so not by themselves in private), there better be someone there to interpret what was said in tongues. That's commanded if they're going to do it in front of people (to be heard as opposed to muttering under their breath, in hushed tones so no one can hear). If it's said in the congregation, it needs to edify people; you can't edify if no one understands what was said.

edited  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:05 am
Ugh, I'm sorry... I don't really know the word in English because my native language is Finnish. So I used the dictionary and that came up... But as you said, what I was talking about was indeed those gifts from the Holy Spirit.

But thank you really for helping me out all the time. I have so many questions and I'm not the best one describing them as questions. biggrin  

Chyuuki-chan

Dedicated Trainer

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:19 am
Evasivity
Ugh, I'm sorry... I don't really know the word in English because my native language is Finnish. So I used the dictionary and that came up... But as you said, what I was talking about was indeed those gifts from the Holy Spirit.

But thank you really for helping me out all the time. I have so many questions and I'm not the best one describing them as questions. biggrin

Know the word in Swedish? =) I am, from Norway. Maybe I can help...  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:36 am
Garland-Green
Evasivity

No, I'm sorry... My Swedish is really not that good yet, I only know the basics. xp Oh, but maybe you will understand the direct translation (even though maybe not the correct one). I guess it would be... nåd gåva? Sorry, I really can't say for sure...  

Chyuuki-chan

Dedicated Trainer

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:14 pm
Evasivity
Garland-Green
Evasivity

No, I'm sorry... My Swedish is really not that good yet, I only know the basics. xp Oh, but maybe you will understand the direct translation (even though maybe not the correct one). I guess it would be... nåd gåva? Sorry, I really can't say for sure...
Gifts of the Spirit, or Mercy gifts (nåde gave in Norwegian). 3nodding

Quote:
What are these gifts of the Spirit? How can you know that you have particular gifts of the Spirit? Can others give us an indication of what our gift is? What does the believer do with these gifts in the church? Are some gifts more important than others? Are the gifts of healing still being accessed today by believers? Is the gift of miracles still existent in the church today?
Each and every believer has been given by the indwelling of the Spirit of God, gifts of the Spirit [Acts 2:38]. In Acts chapter 8 and in 1 Corinthians chapters 12-14 we see external gifts of the Holy Spirit. They were not gifts that they have been developed by human capacities, therefore the believer has absolutely no right to brag on these gifts. If we exalt in our gifts, we are taking credit for something that we have not earned ourselves. It is like taking credit for a gift you receive on your birthday. It is just that; a gift that was not yours but given to your freely and it is given apart from any inherent capabilities that you have within you. It is not like changing the old hymn from How Great Thou Art to How Great I Am.

No believer can say that they have no gift of the Spirit from God. God has given all believers gifts; some have several but everyone has these gifts. These gifts of the Spirit are given not for the believer but for the Body of Christ. It is to make the Body complete. These gifts are intended for the church to edify it, to strengthen it, to feed it, to exhort it, to encourage it and to have the Body of Christ empowered to do the work of Christ. These gifts are always to exalt Christ, to witness of God’s power, to build up the Body, and to work to enlarge the Body of Christ by sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ with the lost. There are several biblical tools and surveys that believers can use to discover their own gifts of the Spirit. These are helpful applications to allow the Christian to see what their gifts are and therefore how they can best help the church. No believer in Christ has any gift of the Spirit.
Isaiah 11:2-3 speaks of seven different spirits or gifts: “And the Spirit of the Lord will rest on him—the Spirit of wisdom and understanding, the Spirit of counsel and might,
the Spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord. He will delight in obeying the Lord.
He will not judge by appearance nor make a decision based on hearsay (called discernment).” These are important gifts and some of them are similar to but different from the gifts of the Spirit that Paul talks about in the New Testament in I Corinthians chapter twelve. There are nine gifts of the Spirit mentioned by Paul in I Corinthians chapter twelve:
1) Word of Wisdom
2) Word of Knowledge
3) Faith
4) Gifts of Healing
5) Working of Miracles
6) Prophecy
7) Discerning of Spirits
8] Divers (or different) kinds of Tongues
9) Interpretation of (different) Tongues

Read More at; What Christians Want To Know  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:18 pm
"Charismas" is just another term for spiritual gifts in Christian theology. The term "charisms" is used, too, mostly by the Catholic church. The word itself isn't in the bible, but then again, a good amount of theological terminology isn't as well. No worries. ♥

If it gives you some relief, I usually don't become emotional when praying to God or having people pray for me. For me, trying to connect to God is more of a peaceful state, and a focused one. It doesn't put me in a state of excessive emotion, and never has. Not saying it's a bad thing if it does, only that it's not happened to me, and that it doesn't make me any less of a believer.

And if that's the kind of person you are, then don't feel handicapped by it.

As far as speaking in tongues, apostle Paul is clear that unless you have someone interpreting what kind of tongue you're speaking, then the gift is rather useless; unintelligible, he says. And he's right—what's the point of speaking in a language that no one can understand except for you?

There isn't any, because no one, not even you, gets any real benefit from it. No one receives any spiritual growth from something they can't comprehend and just sounds like gibberish to them (and saying that, I do believe speaking tongues is a very rare gift nowadays. I do not agree with churches who coerce their congregations to "speak in tongues" in order to prove that they have the Holy Spirit). That's why when someone speaks tongues, there's always someone to interpret what they're saying, as it should be.

kdke

Anxious Noob

Questions & Answers

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces