Welcome to Gaia! ::

It's A Girl Thing! ♥

Back to Guilds

A Family, A Home. 

Tags: Linkin Park, Contests, Hangout, Role Playing, Twilight 

Reply 29. ✿ - - - School and Work
Going Med. Complain and Discuss the issues of your field!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Where do you work in medicine?
  Personal Caregiver
  Phlebotomy (drawing blood)
  Laboratory
  Nurse
  Doctor
  Physician or Aide
  Other
View Results

Tanseki

Genius

5,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:38 pm
Anyone else work in medical fields? I'm a medical lab worker, and my day consists of some of the most vile and infectious substances handled by anyone. Nurses..I totally feel ya. You have to deal with this stuff AND the angry patient.

I get to deal with playing with the nasty stuff with a bitchy supervisor hovering over me demanding we put out results faster for a test that takes at least 2 days to complete anyway.

Nastiest stuff I think to deal with is fecal samples. I'm sorry but no matter how many times I plop that applicator into a fecal sample, stir it around, and prepare it for culture and microscopy...I gag. Worse...I work with a girl who says 'just think of it as chocolate frosting!' Ugh. There goes my appetite for the next forty years!

And have you ever noticed how many people do NOT handle specimens properly? I can't tell you how many times I get samples for ammonia tests that are not light protected and delivered on ice.

I can't tell you how many times I get blood for hematology in a normal no additive tube, and they ask why I specifically request an EDTA tube. Oh I dunno...maybe to keep the blood from CLOTTING.

I understand that most phlebotomists only get trained for like...2 weeks and thus don't know everything the lab does about proper specimen handling, but why aren't we teaching others? If the medical personel could stop behaving like everything's so cutthroat and competitive (which it is sometimes) and we took the time to talk and teach, things could be done right the first time so we wouldn't have to send a nurse back to an already aggitated patient to get ANOTHER sample.

I can only imagine how horrible a Nurse would feel having to tell a patient there was a mistake with the lab. At the same time, I detest that, because we didn't make the sampling error, but we certainly get blamed.

>_< How do the rest of the medical personel feel? I imagine nurses have their own drama in their field, and doctors too.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:32 pm
Tanseki
Anyone else work in medical fields? I'm a medical lab worker, and my day consists of some of the most vile and infectious substances handled by anyone. Nurses..I totally feel ya. You have to deal with this stuff AND the angry patient.

I get to deal with playing with the nasty stuff with a bitchy supervisor hovering over me demanding we put out results faster for a test that takes at least 2 days to complete anyway.

Nastiest stuff I think to deal with is fecal samples. I'm sorry but no matter how many times I plop that applicator into a fecal sample, stir it around, and prepare it for culture and microscopy...I gag. Worse...I work with a girl who says 'just think of it as chocolate frosting!' Ugh. There goes my appetite for the next forty years!

And have you ever noticed how many people do NOT handle specimens properly? I can't tell you how many times I get samples for ammonia tests that are not light protected and delivered on ice.

I can't tell you how many times I get blood for hematology in a normal no additive tube, and they ask why I specifically request an EDTA tube. Oh I dunno...maybe to keep the blood from CLOTTING.

I understand that most phlebotomists only get trained for like...2 weeks and thus don't know everything the lab does about proper specimen handling, but why aren't we teaching others? If the medical personel could stop behaving like everything's so cutthroat and competitive (which it is sometimes) and we took the time to talk and teach, things could be done right the first time so we wouldn't have to send a nurse back to an already aggitated patient to get ANOTHER sample.

I can only imagine how horrible a Nurse would feel having to tell a patient there was a mistake with the lab. At the same time, I detest that, because we didn't make the sampling error, but we certainly get blamed.

>_< How do the rest of the medical personel feel? I imagine nurses have their own drama in their field, and doctors too.

i'm not in medicine but totally feel your pain. the chocolate frosting thing is just icky. and if you request a sample be handled a certain way it shouldnt be rocket science to complete your request as requested. personally, i appreciate your dedication to the proper methodology regarding lab specimens.  

Bell Kalika

Romantic Fairy

9,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Guildmember 100
  • Generous 100
29. ✿ - - - School and Work

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items