Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
I came out to my mother...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:31 pm
Got a pride protest in December I hope to go to. Well, today I got a wedding invite for a cousin's wedding on the same day. I shared this with my mother. She then, rather suddenly, asked if I was gay. I said no. Asked if I was bi. I said yes.

She asked if I was serious. I said yes. She asked a couple of other questions.

Then laughed hysterically.

We got in the car (since I was driving her to her doctor's visit) and she asked a couple more questions between these laughing spurts. As if somehow me being bi is the most hilarious thing ever.

I must admit, I was not amused. -_-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:52 pm
She needs to think it over, you know it's an obvious shock for her, since majority of parents never in life could ever think of their children being someone else than "straight". Anyway, could you tell what questions were that?
I mean, when in a little shock, she may not have even realised she was doing something inappropriate in a way, but I think she will chill out soon and will be okay with that. Good luck with that!

Your Neglected Sex Toy

Shameless Helper

31,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Firestarter 200

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:02 pm
Your Neglected Sex Toy
She needs to think it over, you know it's an obvious shock for her, since majority of parents never in life could ever think of their children being someone else than "straight". Anyway, could you tell what questions were that?
I mean, when in a little shock, she may not have even realised she was doing something inappropriate in a way, but I think she will chill out soon and will be okay with that. Good luck with that!

I like to think that it is a shock and that she's never considered an alternative to straight..

But that isn't true. She told me that a cousin had predicted I was bi. So clearly they'd discussed it.

I'm hoping I won't have to see her for a couple of weeks until she's less obnoxious about it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:08 pm
Lady Kayura
Your Neglected Sex Toy

I like to think that it is a shock and that she's never considered an alternative to straight..

But that isn't true. She told me that a cousin had predicted I was bi. So clearly they'd discussed it.

I'm hoping I won't have to see her for a couple of weeks until she's less obnoxious about it.

Oh my. Well, don't you think it might be slightly easier for her (and you), now that she knows and (as you say) she may have discussed the possiblity with your cousin? What I mean is that, it's less of a shock now, when she discussed the possibility and may have taken that into account. Actually, what you maybe need is to talk with her some time later about this, just to state some facts and share opinions. She may want to do that anyway. If not - well, something's wrong, I think this should be discussed so that there is nothing unsaid and not cleared up.
[Now, that's at least what I want to think it will look like when I come out to my parent in the future, DAMN.]

Your Neglected Sex Toy

Shameless Helper

31,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Firestarter 200

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
she might be laughing because she expected it from you. be happy that she didnt throw a fit or disown you like some parents will do. plus asking questions about it tends to be a good thing, it shows that she is interested and wants to learn a bit more about you and your bisexualness. at least thats what i think, you know your mother better than any of us do.

personally if i ever have a lgb child and they come out to me i would probably laugh too because i would kind of expect it since im bi and from what ive read it can be genetic

anyways, congrats to coming out to your mother! biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:40 am
She asked "what would you do if I were angry" as we were driving to her doctor's.

I told her "I'd drop your a** off back home and go get sushi which is what I'd rather be doing now anyway." >_>

She just continued with her laughing. It was almost manic. Not the good natured haha sort of laughing.

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300

Sifen Yamishi

Fashionable Vampire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:46 am
-hugs Kayura-chan oh so very tight-
If you need anything, message me.
And at worst, cut ties to her.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:23 am
Lady Kayura
She asked "what would you do if I were angry" as we were driving to her doctor's.

I told her "I'd drop your a** off back home and go get sushi which is what I'd rather be doing now anyway." >_>

She just continued with her laughing. It was almost manic. Not the good natured haha sort of laughing.

im not really sure what to think about that.

the reaction my dad had was just saying ok then not talking for a while, something most people would assume is a bad sign, but since i know my dad well i know that that was the best reaction from him  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

f1r3cr4ck3r

Premium Doll

19,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:54 am
Just be glad she is laughing and not disowning you.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:53 am
sexcakee

I second that. My mom would disown me, which is why I want to move out before any relationships. The only people I'm out to are my sisters because they're understanding.  

Elveszetta

Interesting Capitalist

3,650 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:55 pm
sexcakee

She can't disown me. I'm the only one that has days off in the week to get her to her doctor's appointments. She needs more more than I need her. She knows that.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:24 am
Lady Kayura
Got a pride protest in December I hope to go to. Well, today I got a wedding invite for a cousin's wedding on the same day. I shared this with my mother. She then, rather suddenly, asked if I was gay. I said no. Asked if I was bi. I said yes.

She asked if I was serious. I said yes. She asked a couple of other questions.

Then laughed hysterically.

We got in the car (since I was driving her to her doctor's visit) and she asked a couple more questions between these laughing spurts. As if somehow me being bi is the most hilarious thing ever.

I must admit, I was not amused. -_-

I got a similar reaction when I hinted that I'm genderqueer. My grandma acted like it's not something serious or normal, and she laughed.  

brb yiffing in hell

Timid Prophet

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces