Kitalpha Hart

Feline Phantom

9,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:20 pm
choose one or the other. if you hate both, choose the one you hate the least

Hunger Games is ok, it could've been way better.
first book is ok, the other two SUCK. movie was spent picking out what was different between the book and the movie, as usual
Twilight is a joke. really? sparkling vampires? last i checked, FAIRIES sparkled. emotion_eyebrow
only read the first book because my sister made me. she forced me to watch the first movie, but since she started it so late, i got out after half an hour (it was a school night and i was tired). saw the third one in the theaters cuz i got dragged along. didn't watch, lost my hearing for a week after, both ears still act up every once in a while because of it cat_scream

so.
for me:
Hunger Games wins, but not by much.

omitting Harry Potter cuz that series (books and movies) wins, hands down.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:44 pm
User Image

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Twilight for me. I couldn't get into Harry Potter even though I like magic and adventure and the Hunger Games is what? Kids killing kids? Yeah no thanks, I'll watch Lord of the Flies for that.

Lashuri Chan

Generous Giver

10,600 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Miss_XxAriaxX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:50 pm
I watched the Hunger games movie, I didn't read the book.
For twillight, I read all the books and watched 3 movies only.

Because I didn't read hunger games, it's hard to give a fair choice.
But I think hunger games is better than twilight.
I like love stories, that's why I like twilight; however, I think
Hunger games is better because the subject treated (power of the government over the citizens, high disparities between the rich and the poor, the cruelty of the games) and the imagination.

In twilight, many people like it so much because of the love story and it was very mysterious (when Bella didn't know Edward was a vampire), and the concept of vampire was different than what we thought because they have powers etc...

However, the story has many flaws... She is got married way too young just because she fear to get old... What kind of message you are sending to young girls ?
Also, there is ***** story because Edward is like over 100 year old and he is in love with a 16-17 year old girl !!  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:15 am
I read all 3.
Twilight, it was a nice read, but I wouldn't read it again.
Hunger Games, I only read the first one. I really like it, I read it about 2 years ago. I want to read the rest but it's not my do to list.
Harry Potter, LOVE! I've read all the book multi times.  

ChiffaniChan

Aged Gaian

8,125 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Dramatic Shipping 25

myths_rock

Versatile Sex Symbol

7,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:31 am
I have read the WHOLE Twilight series -just to know why people hate it so much- and I would say it isn't my taste. Its too soppy for vampire books - which I love- I even tried to read VD -It amused me- and I liked it, even though it is soppy, it has a cool storyline.
Hunger games is another thing. I liked it - didn't read the books, the stuff is more cool on a screen.
So yeah- Hunger games..... though if HP was a option it would win hands down.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:59 pm
Having read all those books...harry potter wins hands down, for me of course. but between twilight and hunger games...i'd say hunger games.

Twilight is an ok read till you get sick of Edward being smotheringly overprotective to the point he sounds like a drama king. well Bella..im ok with her being clumsy/accident-prone but what made me raise my eyebrow was her being too clingy. i get that she is in love and wants to be with Edward..but rereading the book a few times..her behavior just seems a bit too disturbing. The movie is a miss for me. stare

Hunger Games..the first book is still the best one of the trilogy. The 2nd book feels a bit short for me but I still liked it. The 3rd book, im on the fence on this one. I liked it but something feels off for me.  

xkamiko07x

Hygienic Cutie-Pie

22,950 Points
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500

TulipMeows

Powerful Nymph

11,200 Points
  • Divorced 100
  • Streaker 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:24 pm
I actually like all three ^.^ I've never read the Harry Potter books (never had the chance to, honestly) but I do love the movies. I love the Twilight and Hunger Games books, and thought the movies were okay (though I did spend them comparing the movies and books... sweatdrop ) But yea so it's hard for me to choose, but I think i'd choose twilight solely because I like what they did with Breaking Dawn Part II x)  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:07 pm
Hunger Games - never read it, never watched it. i keep getting really mixed reviews about it. some people i talk to absolutely loved it and others couldn't stand it(not for plot, but for the characters themselves). i might give it a trya nd just not hold high hopes for it. i haven't decided, but i changed to an english major so i won't really have time with all the other readings to start it any time soon

Twilight Saga - read all 4, they first came out when i was 13-14 which was the age that they were targeted at and a friend knew i liked vampire books(mostly horror though) and recomended it. the story is in no way worthy of literary merit, but for A TEEN BOOK SEREIS, it isn't bad. is the writing high end? no. is the grammer repetative and simple? painfully so. but a lot of people read it all the way through and decide they love reading so i can't completely hate it. i own the series mostly for nestalgia and it was something at one point i really liked, won't re-read it though, Shakespeare is better. sadly, i've been dragged to all of the movies, made sarcastic comments through them all(and almost walked out during the last one). overall, i'm neutral towards it

Harry Potter - only read the first 4 books and half the 5th one, i discovered manga and haven't gotten back to them yet though i do own them. hopefully i'll finish them this summer if i get through Dracula, Frankenstien, Pride and Predjudice, the Inferno, and a half dozen other classics i want to get through first. seen all of those movies too and overall i'd have to say it's the superior out of the three based on what i know of all 3 series. it's well written, it doesn't deviate away from the overall storyline, it has a solid storyline to start with, and as the readers get older the story matures as well. i'd recomend it to teens, kids, and adults alike  

StrayKit

xKiklala

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:09 am
I haven't read Twilight, I've no interest in Harry Potter, and I only got half way through the first book of the Hunger Games series. To be honest, the hunger games bored me. It didn't seem to get a little interesting until half way into the book. That's my opinion though. ^^  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:16 pm
Twilight bored me after the first sentence, never read Harry Potter, Hunger Games is not on my reread list.  

Serah of Silence

Shy Guildswoman

7,700 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Full closet 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Zephyrkitty

Beloved Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:34 pm
Kitalpha Hart

Twilight is a joke. really? sparkling vampires? last i checked, FAIRIES sparkled. emotion_eyebrow

I'm going to be honest: I think the focus on vampires sparkling by the people who hate Twilight is kind of annoying. We've reinvented the mythology of plenty of supernatural creatures over the years to the point of some being completely different. Someone deciding that they'd like their vampires to sparkle isn't that weird by comparison (and the idea of other vampires sparkling is funny).

It's also kind of a minor thing to focus on when you're talking about a series that glorifies some really unhealthy relationships and relationship dynamics. What I really don't like about the Twilight series is that Edward and Bella's relationship is incredibly unhealthy but is presented as this perfect romance to young teenage girls; that really bothers me regardless of what vampire mythology is present in the series.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:59 pm
Zephyrkitty

I'm going to be honest: I think the focus on vampires sparkling by the people who hate Twilight is kind of annoying. We've reinvented the mythology of plenty of supernatural creatures over the years to the point of some being completely different. Someone deciding that they'd like their vampires to sparkle isn't that weird by comparison (and the idea of other vampires sparkling is funny).

It's also kind of a minor thing to focus on when you're talking about a series that glorifies some really unhealthy relationships and relationship dynamics. What I really don't like about the Twilight series is that Edward and Bella's relationship is incredibly unhealthy but is presented as this perfect romance to young teenage girls; that really bothers me regardless of what vampire mythology is present in the series.

^^^^ This. Seriously. Thank you. Although the sparkling blood sucker thing does bother me to no end - and the 'veggie vampire' plot point that she invented does too - the relationship bothers me THE MOST. (I can almost tolerate sparkling vegie vampires as re-listing them in my brain as something of the old Fae folk myth). Its not a good example for teens to be following after at all. I mean, look at what it spawned, a BDSM novel series by the name of '50 Shades of Grey'.

What bothers me the most is that Twilight is going to replace examination material such as Shakespeare in High Schools here in New Zealand. There is NO literary value in that book what-so-ever. They're also adding 'The Hunger Games' too - I don't particularly like that book either, mainly because the idea of kids killing kids in post-apocalyptic society had already been done in Japanese film/novels/VN's/Manga/Anime as well as in 'Lord of the Flies'. But at least that series has some substance.

Stormgem

Tipsy Streaker

10,250 Points
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Gender Swap 100

Kitalpha Hart

Feline Phantom

9,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:54 pm
Zephyrkitty
Kitalpha Hart

the sparkles are wacked. The first book was a yawnfest. The sparkles are easy to make fun of, though, so I pick on that. Plus, in some cases, it sparks debate owo  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:51 pm
Stormgem

^^^^ This. Seriously. Thank you. Although the sparkling blood sucker thing does bother me to no end - and the 'veggie vampire' plot point that she invented does too - the relationship bothers me THE MOST. (I can almost tolerate sparkling vegie vampires as re-listing them in my brain as something of the old Fae folk myth). Its not a good example for teens to be following after at all. I mean, look at what it spawned, a BDSM novel series by the name of '50 Shades of Grey'.

What bothers me the most is that Twilight is going to replace examination material such as Shakespeare in High Schools here in New Zealand. There is NO literary value in that book what-so-ever. They're also adding 'The Hunger Games' too - I don't particularly like that book either, mainly because the idea of kids killing kids in post-apocalyptic society had already been done in Japanese film/novels/VN's/Manga/Anime as well as in 'Lord of the Flies'. But at least that series has some substance.

I'm kind of mixed on the idea of bringing books like Twilight and Hunger Games into the school system. On the one hand, it's good to foster an appreciation for (or at least an understanding of) the classics. On the other hand, there are certainly themes and symbols and characters to write about in both of those books, and it helps foster the idea that what you learn about in English can apply outside of the classroom. It's also harder to steal your essays for recent books from Sparknotes. xd I'd be fine with it if you can strike a balance of both, I guess.

I disagree that Hunger Games has "been done", though. I really enjoyed HG, but I also really enjoyed Battle Royale, Future Diary, Dangan Ronpa, and certainly others (although I hated Lord of the Flies). The survival game concept isn't anything new, but all of those use that as a framework for completely different stories and to explore different ideas. HG is a critique of reality TV, for example, so the idea of the survival game being shown as entertainment has a pretty large effect on the rules of the game and how the characters act. FD and BR both have a previous victor, which unbalances the survival game and gives the series an opportunity to look at how surviving this affects people. DR pulls murder mysteries into the survival game, so just killing someone isn't enough, you also have to make people think it was someone else. LotF is about the fight between civilization and savagery, and while there are kids killing each other it's not part of a game to get off the island. All of them have kids killing each other, but that's really the only similarity between them.  

Zephyrkitty

Beloved Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Zariah Khi

Lavish Dabbler

13,050 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:22 pm
Harry Potter WINS!!! I got hooked into reading the whole series and over again after and watched all the films. I love how JK Rowling didn't forced or just added story lines to complete the whole series it appeals to me as if those books should really be made to justify the whole story line. It speaks of friendships, sacrifices, betrayal, love, unity and a lot more.

Twilight. I've read and watched all the book and films. And I hate the fact that Bella and Edward cared for no one else but themselves. Some loved the way they love each other but for me true love is never selfish and all they did was selfish acts. Bella wanting to be a vampire because her life sucks and doesn't care if she will be apart from her family just to be with Edward? I mean you give up your whole life and family for what a sparkling vampire? Plus they created a baby to what? be in all the chaos they are in. Geez. and to think that Edward should know better than that living for like forever.

What I like about Hunger games, is it entails the value of life and death. That life is tough and the just like all the tributes all of us are also put into this world to cherished the moment but also to embrace the trials that will hone us each day. gaia_nitemareright  
18. ✿ - - - Books

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff