Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Whiney (Potential) Relationship Issue

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

;alskjdfasdlhfasd
asdgafg
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
80%
 80%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 5

lenon01

Dangerous Lunatic

8,750 Points
  • Cheercrusher 50
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:37 pm
So, normally I don't post annoying threads like this one, but as of late I've suddenly found myself ridiculously attracted to a guy at the school I attend. It was, at one point, completely overwhelming and since I've not yet really dated or been romantically involved with anyone in a meaningful way, I have no actual experience in this kind of stuff.

The problem isn't so much the attraction as the fact that it's ridiculously overwhelming to the point where I feel almost like a mini panic-attack whenever I see the person. (Not a negative kind of 'attack', but one where your heart suddenly starts beating really fast and your body temperature feels like it rises.)This isn't normal at all for me, as I usually just make a mental note of guys who are attractive and then disregard it whenever they're not in sight.

Now, before I run off in weird tangents, I'll just pose some questions and be done with it. The questions are bolded and the text below is just some extra information, if you want:

1) Is this mini panic-attack 'normal'?
I don't want to sound like a nutcase, but I've never really either fit into or understood these kinds of things that people do.

2) So, should I even bother trying to ask him out?
Not only do I live in a conservative area, but my social skills are absolute s**t. I actually tried talking to the guy once and then ran away after introducing myself. Haven't spoken to him since.

3) How would I remedy my speech to be more people-friendly?
I don't mean to, but I sound stuck-up, in both text and face-to-face communication. (Or so I've been told. .__. ) I'm talking with a good friend of mine and we're trying to improve my communication skills, but any kind of advice would be welcome.

I know I'm a pain and if you've even gotten this far, thank you for spending the time to consider the lousy content I put into this post. My organization is all over the place, so I apologize for that. Any feedback would be welcome, if you're so inclined.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:13 pm
I know exactly how you feel. (although I tend to have "mini panic attacks" for no reason whatsoever...fun) I've never been a social person, and probably never will be, just because of this panic. From my standpoint, I would recommend doing so (asking him out) only after you are able to be around him without feeling uncomfortable. Like getting to know him as a friend? Conversation wise, I cant help... sweatdrop
lenon01
So, normally I don't post annoying threads like this one, but as of late I've suddenly found myself ridiculously attracted to a guy at the school I attend. It was, at one point, completely overwhelming and since I've not yet really dated or been romantically involved with anyone in a meaningful way, I have no actual experience in this kind of stuff.

The problem isn't so much the attraction as the fact that it's ridiculously overwhelming to the point where I feel almost like a mini panic-attack whenever I see the person. (Not a negative kind of 'attack', but one where your heart suddenly starts beating really fast and your body temperature feels like it rises.)This isn't normal at all for me, as I usually just make a mental note of guys who are attractive and then disregard it whenever they're not in sight.

Now, before I run off in weird tangents, I'll just pose some questions and be done with it. The questions are bolded and the text below is just some extra information, if you want:

I don't want to sound like a nutcase, but I've never really either fit into or understood these kinds of things that people do.

Not only do I live in a conservative area, but my social skills are absolute s**t. I actually tried talking to the guy once and then ran away after introducing myself. Haven't spoken to him since.

I don't mean to, but I sound stuck-up, in both text and face-to-face communication. (Or so I've been told. .__. ) I'm talking with a good friend of mine and we're trying to improve my communication skills, but any kind of advice would be welcome.

I know I'm a pain and if you've even gotten this far, thank you for spending the time to consider the lousy content I put into this post. My organization is all over the place, so I apologize for that. Any feedback would be welcome, if you're so inclined.

Symptom_of_Society

Fatcat

Purple Robot Queen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:22 pm
lenon01

1. I'd say it's relatively normal. You've just pumped him up inside your head and made a bigger deal out of him than he really is. It's easy to get overwhelmed by an image of a person who you've built up in this way.

2. It's worth it, so long as you realize that he's just a person and isn't some perfect being, and if you are able to deal with the idea of rejection. It's certainly more productive than just pining away and continuing to build up this false image of him in your mind.

3. I couldn't really answer this one without seeing first-hand how you interact with people in regular social settings. The best (and most cliche) advice I can give is to relax, be yourself, and don't over-think it.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:28 pm
Thank you both~

@LunaJade: I don't really feel comfortable around people in general, so that's usually an issue. The approach I would take, were I able to, would be to get to know him first, but that's not very likely to occur.

@PurpleRobotKing: Part of the reason I'm finding it so strange is because I don't know anything about the guy, and as far as I know I haven't 'built him up' into something that he likely is not.

Thanks again for your help though, I'll definitely keep your responses in mind.
mrgreen  

lenon01

Dangerous Lunatic

8,750 Points
  • Cheercrusher 50
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Timid 100
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers