Lashuri Chan

Generous Giver

10,600 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:17 am
User Image

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

My parents have been bitching at me from day one to go back to church and how they would not force me to go because I am an adult. They go to church on Sunday's, bible study on Wednesday and whenever the church has an event. But since my dad is on the road a lot he can't always be there so my mom goes alone and this is my dad's side of the family whom she doesn't really like that much, but her side of the family isn't religious.

But anyways for a while now she has been on the phone bitching nonstop about how the church expects you to be there whenever they have an event or a meeting or whatever set up. She complains that she has a life and has to cook, clean, do real estate and her school work and such.

The last time I checked being religious meant being devoted to the church. I thought it was a lifestyle that one chooses to live a good and pure life and follow god and whatever it is you do....

But she is acting like she joined an after school club and they are they are taking all her time away from her to hang out or whatever. She is being so pathetic right now!

So i ask you because I don't know really. I just assumed that being religious was a lifestyle because my dad's side of the family act like it is. They are all very, very devoted to church because they were all born and raised in it, but mom is just getting back into after a million year hiatus.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:27 am
I think religion is a lifestyle...
The person chooses to spend time at the church every sunday morning...

If someone is not content about it, it's because she doesn't find it essential and important...

Note: I am not religious, my family wasn't...
But, I went to a religious gathering before because a friend asked me to come.  

Miss_XxAriaxX

NightAngels

Beloved Explorer

14,600 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:33 pm
Well to me it is a choice. I choose to believe in God, and I love it. But I don't attend every event or go to church every Sunday. And I don't complain if I need to go to church. I try to keep God in my mind everyday, because that's what I choose. Maybe I'm off topic but this is how best I could explain. xD lol

p.s. maybe i should start attending more to church. o:  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:08 am
Personally, I don't believe that "church" itself is a lifestyle - depending on whom you're asking and how you define the term "church". I suppose these days, even though I am a non-denominational Christian, I still have problems with how there are those out there who corrupt the church and make it into a bad thing. For those great churches out there that are strong in the faith and everything - it can definitely be a lifestyle, as long as one remembers to make God, Jesus Christ, and The Holy Spirit part of it. 3nodding The church is the bride of Christ after all. Even so, I consider church to be the gathering of two or more people who believe in God and fellowship together about God, Jesus Christ, and The Holy Spirit. To me, a true church is one that spreads the word and shows kindness to others and do their absolute best to understand and follow God's word.

I haven't been able to find a church in a while. I left a corrupt church a few years ago because the stuff they did wasn't stuff I don't believe God would appreciate and they didn't read God's word for what it really meant. I never really saw those people study their word in their free time or anything. A lot of relationships broke in two because of that and others have left since. I am an enemy of that church because I left for what was right. I have not yet found a church around that has the true ideals. There aren't a lot of non-denominational churches, and the ones I have found tend to stick to their man-made traditions that aren't based upon God's word.

When I lived at my parents when I became an adult I said, "Can I stay home? I'm an adult, and I don't want to go to church." At that point, I suppose my parents realized that I was an adult, I could make my own decisions, but I was still living at home. At that point, since I wasn't a minor, they couldn't say, "You have to go," necessarily. Instead, they would threaten to take away the computer, video games, television, etc. from me if I didn't go to church. At times, they'd threaten to tell me I couldn't hang out with my friends if I didn't go to church if I pushed the issue a bit further. It was just a situation that should never happen. When a person is an adult - they should definitely make their own decision. I believe kids should also make their own decisions and stuff, but as an adult - that is where a person should be able to make their own decisions 100%.

I have seen people be devoted to the church so heavily that they put the church before they do their own family. Too many times I have seen a father go into church without their family because their whole family was ill. It's one thing if their spouse says, "Go to church for me, please," but another when the spouse says, "I'm going to church and not missing it," instead of offering to take care of their sick family. For me, family always comes before the church, but that does not mean that family comes before God. Family comes before the church, and God comes before family because we are to base our decisions on His word.

Getting back into church can be difficult on those who have had a hiatus from it. Although, they need to make sure they are going back because they want to - not because they have to. If a person goes back and doesn't want to go, it'll be more difficult on them. If a person goes back because they want to - it may be weird at first because it has been so long, but eventually settle well if the church is doing what is right.

God most definitely should come before everything else in this world. God is what is most important. In my own beliefs, God is most important along with Jesus Christ and The Holy Spirit, then family is next important, and then the list continues on. I know when I used to not want to get into the Bible because I saw a version of Christianity that wasn't right and I grew up with that - I would make excuses to never touch my Bible. I would just say I don't have the time, when I actually did have time and just didn't want to do it. Now a days, I'm better at putting God's word first, but some days I still fail with my excuses because I'm so busy. Although, no one should ever be too busy for God because He's there for us even though He is keeping track of the entire universe. His patience to put up with us and His grace to forgive us is just phenomenal.

To be religious is to follow God and what He would want us to do and to fulfill the purpose He has in our lives. Religion in itself - believing in God is a lifestyle. Even if a person does not believe in God, but another faith, that still would impact their daily lives and what their moral compass is based on.  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

MiracleRayray2

Blessed Warrior

7,825 Points
  • Member 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:21 pm
Church is more of a choice for me. I choose to go though. I go to youth group on Mondays and babysit some Mondays and Sundays for the adults to worship together. It so fun to see God use little kids 3 years of age to teach a teen. (me) but there are other ways of worshiping God in your own way. I do my own bible studies at night and worship in the morning singing.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:47 am
User Image

Church means different things to different people. Some people do like to get super involved and make it into an entire lifestyle. Other churchgoers prefer to just go on Sundays, or maybe just on holidays or once a month or what have you.

Personally I am not religious anymore, but I was one of those super "lifestyle" type churchgoers when I was 16-18. If she doesn't want to be that involved at church, then she shouldn't feel obligated to be.

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Cheliaa

Hilarious Noob

3,000 Points
  • Informer 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:43 pm
Church is a place where believers of the same faith gather together to strengthen their faith via bible study, listening to pastors preach, and grow closer with your fellow christians. However, it's not a requirement at all for salvation. Church is only there if you want to grow stronger in faith with other christians. If she doesn't want to go to church, she shouldn't feel like she has to be there. God only wants us to live the way he taught us in the bible!  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:57 pm
For me personally, I say its choice. As my mom would say, "I believe in god, in my own way." We aren't religious, we don't go to church because we are usuaully busy as hell. So I say tell your mom if she doesn't want to go than she shouldn't. Its her choice to go to church or not. I think she is probably worried about what your dad's side of the family might think of her and if thats the case, tell her she shouldn't worry about other people. That she should worry about herself and her family.  

xXNi-ChanXx

Lonely Werewolf

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:48 am
Have you ever noticed how judgmental many (if not most) church-going people are?

If your Mom doesn't feel comfortable, she shouldn't go. She has a life of her own. If she wants to go when your Dad is able to, that should be more than enough for everyone else.  
32. ✿ - - - Religious Haven

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games