Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
IM SO ANNOYED. I think its justified annoyance how about u?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kite Triblade

Distinct Reveler

7,275 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:12 am
Im pretty damn annoyed at this I have to be honest, Despite my concern at getting in to trouble for possibly putting my university in to disrepute. Its not likely but who knows what can happen, I mainly feel angered enough to get this off my chest and in a kind of way morally obliged to let more people know

Now Ill just like to say I have nothing against people who choose to follow a religon its a choice or decision that anyone should be allowed to make without having it forced upon them or forcing it down on to others. I know friends and people at present time and from my past who come from many different religous faiths and they have been courteous, polite to me and come across as just flat out nice people

I guess to get the full story read the link bellow. I would urge you to read this as my synopsis will only go so far and to be honest its going to be a biased synopsis

http://www.studentrights.org.uk/article/1995/abu_usamah_to_appear_at_brunel_university

To summarise.

My university is giving this man a platform to speak freely to others regarding the Prophet Muhammad and Abu Dharr to the islamic society we have

However this is man who has been caught on national television, (courtesy of Channel 4 show Dispatches**) expressing his intollerance to those who do not follow Islam and apostates of the religon should be killed, With unkind things being said of homosexuals who he decalres as "filthy dogs" and that they s
should be thrown of a mountain" And his comments to women are also pretty demeaning as well frankly. "Allah has created the women, even if she gets a PhD, deficient...her intellect is incomplete, deficient"

Now Im all for free spech and right of expression but when it is used to incite hatred and deflamtory remarks or possibly voilence, shouldnt a line be drawn

I personally think to allow someone with his views and past history a platform to speak in a university where there are many that could take offense to his remarks is not a good idea. I know the LGBT society here is for lack of a better term ******** livid and from what I have heard this year are getting a bit of raw deal from the university, but that is admittedly hear say, Im not wanting to throw fuel on the fire but Ive heard a thing

Im personally hoping that my university will do what Warwick university did a few years back and cancel his attendance

I can understand that the university might find themselves in catch 22, should they allow or cancel

** I believe the show was called Dispatches. As that is the name of Channel 4's big investgative program slot thats been aired from 1987 to present time

*** If it makes any difference or to those may want to know Im bi  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:32 pm
Unfortunately the freedom of speech is non-discriminatory and all inclusive, otherwise it wouldn't be free.

That man has the same right to speak his hatred and preach his intolerance as you do to voice your opinion for LGBT rights, about how many cats someone should own, and so on.

For him not to be allowed to give his messages and speak his mind removes the "freedom" from "freedom of speech" and in turns makes the freedom of speech a double standard.

Personally, I don't like the idea anymore than you do. My university has an open and public campus, as it is a public institution. We get preachers during the summer and spring time on our campus voicing their messages of hate and of fearing God. They openly criticize students, call females whores and sluts to their faces, and tell people they're going to Hell because they do not fear God.

You don't have to like it or accept it but you do have to tolerate their right to exercise their rights.

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200

Kite Triblade

Distinct Reveler

7,275 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:43 pm
Der Fluch des Pharao
Unfortunately the freedom of speech is non-discriminatory and all inclusive, otherwise it wouldn't be free.

That man has the same right to speak his hatred and preach his intolerance as you do to voice your opinion for LGBT rights, about how many cats someone should own, and so on.

For him not to be allowed to give his messages and speak his mind removes the "freedom" from "freedom of speech" and in turns makes the freedom of speech a double standard.

Personally, I don't like the idea anymore than you do. My university has an open and public campus, as it is a public institution. We get preachers during the summer and spring time on our campus voicing their messages of hate and of fearing God. They openly criticize students, call females whores and sluts to their faces, and tell people they're going to Hell because they do not fear God.

You don't have to like it or accept it but you do have to tolerate their right to exercise their rights.

Yeah you are right about the freedom in freedom of speech.

I understand that no matter how intolerant one persons views may be they still have the right for to express them

I guess I kind of treated my original post as a bit of venting session. I have often read about similar types of stories from different news sources ect... over the last couple of years, This is just the first time where its happening in such a close vicinity to me  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:22 pm
Kite Triblade

Completely understandable c:

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items