Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Stop Uganda's Kill the Gays Bill

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Impy Kun

Dapper Lunatic

7,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:00 pm
Sign Here

Quote:
A bill proposing that gay and lesbian Ugandans be executed is coming back to Uganda's Parliament - it could pass at any moment.

President Museveni once promised that he would not sign this bill into law. With pressure mounting on him to support the bill, only a massive global outcry - along with our friends in Uganda - will make him keep his promise.

Last year, we helped stop this bill in its tracks. We need to do it again.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:17 pm
This issue is HORRIBLE! Though it does make me feel fortunate that I live in a free (not totally free of discrimination, maybe someday though) country (Canada). I totally signed the petition! I just hope the pressure really gets to the president to drop the bill. Thank you very much for putting this to our attention.  

humble_gypsy_traveller

Business Sex Symbol

9,250 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Trader 100
  • Tycoon 200

Enderlad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:26 pm
The problem is that this bill wasn't decided just by the corrupt leaders of Uganda. The people actually voted for this, and 89 % of the population approved of it. They want this legalized. Politicians who didn't want this legalized in Uganda were the ones at risk of being ruined and scorned.
The problem is much deeper than just the bill, and simply changing this law won't solve the problem. The public at large will still have a violent hatred of homosexuality, only now they will be bitter at the western society for trying to control them.
Dealing with the problem in Uganda doesn't require just changing a law, it requires changing their minds entirely. It took us centuries to get to where we are today from where they are now, we can't force that same shift in tolerance overnight, especially from just an online petition.

Honestly there's really nothing we can do except offer a place for homosexual Ugandans to flee to at this point.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games