Welcome to Gaia! ::

It's A Girl Thing! ♥

Back to Guilds

A Family, A Home. 

Tags: Linkin Park, Contests, Hangout, Role Playing, Twilight 

Reply 18. ✿ - - - Books
Books similar to Artemis Fowl (or just classic fantasy)?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Artistic Pancake

Business Kitten

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:21 am
Hello everyone!
I realized I haven't read fantasy for a long time - and then I remembered how much I love Artemis Fowl.
I also like fantasy as in whole fantasy worlds with dragons, warriors etc., but it's kinda hard to find good books like that.
Suggestions?  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:40 pm
All I read is fantasy! xd

Anne McCaffrey Dragonriders of Pern series

If you dont mind easy reading young adult books, things by Tamora Pierce are good, lots of strong female characters.

My favorite is summers at castle abern by sharon shinn, its lacks dragons and magic but has a very nice coming of age story set in a very nice medieval setting. She also writes the Twelve Houses Series and the shape changers wife.

Robin McKinley- anything i rather liked deer skin and The Hero and the Crown

Rae carson- the girl of fire and thorns

alison goodman- books Eon and Eona

Patricia McKillip- anything

Levina-jade

Lady Bunny

33,515 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100

Artistic Pancake

Business Kitten

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:00 am
Levina-jade

If you dont mind easy reading young adult books, things by Tamora Pierce are good, lots of strong female characters.

My favorite is summers at castle abern by sharon shinn, its lacks dragons and magic but has a very nice coming of age story set in a very nice medieval setting. She also writes the Twelve Houses Series and the shape changers wife.

Thanks a lot! I shall check them out wink  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:46 pm
I highly reccomend Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles. The first one is called The Name of the Wind. It is the best fantasy I have read in a very long long time. Superb.

Also:
Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.
Brandon Sanderson Mistborn Trilogy. Or anything by him, lol.
Water series by Kara Dalkey first one is Ascension  

Taylonn

Green Ladykiller

Taylonn

Green Ladykiller

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:49 pm
Adorable Crayon
Levina-jade

Thanks a lot! I shall check them out wink

The Eon and Eona books are among my favorites ;3  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:15 pm
yum_tea The Dragonlance series is really good. I recommend that you start with the original trilogy by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman (Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night, and Dragons of Spring Dawning) and go from there. The books written by Weiss and Hickman are the best, but Richard Knaak has written some really good ones as well--I particularly liked his The Legend of Huma.

J.R.R. Tolkein's The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy is really good. His prose can get a little purple at times, but his work more or less codified the high fantasy genre and is really quite good. I really enjoyed the depth of the Middle Earth setting, the work he put into building not just individual characters, but whole cultures with unique languages and histories.

C.S. Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia is a really good series of books. There's a lot of Christian symbolism in the books, but otherwise it's straight high fantasy with a lot of engaging plot and endearing characters. I can not recommend this series of books enough, and it doesn't really get enough love.  

Sweet Peppermint Tea

Spooky Girl

18,525 Points
  • Scary Sampling 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Haunting Echo 75

Eleiza0250

Shy Genius

12,950 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:24 pm
harry potter!!! biggrin

also, my girlfriend likes the author Tamora Pierce, who writes young adult fantasy  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:23 am
Artemis Fowl is an excellent series <3 Hmmmm the only books I can think of to recommend would beeee.... The Books of Umber and maybe Percy Jackson  

I Love Bad Puns

Friendly Shapeshifter

18. ✿ - - - Books

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces