View Results

Ayniu

Fashionable Raider

9,300 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Object of Affection 150
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:17 pm
I've sort of been on the search for a good facial mask lately.
So far I've been using one my mom got, which is a mint julep mask. It feels wonderful when I take it off, so I've got no complaints about it, per se. The other one I've used (which I like the smell of even more) is Ole Henriksen's primrose and chamomile mask.
I've been searching at stores and online, looking at different facial masks to try (because unfortunately the Sephora/Henriksen one is only sold in small sample packets for some reason), and I really am not sure which one I should go for.
There are lots of different options - avocado, green tea, cucumber, Indian clay, to name a few.
So my question is, is there a facial mask that tends to work better than others?
Is avocado better for the skin than cucumber? Which one is it?
Or, does it just depend on your skin type, and am I better off trying one out and seeing for myself?

So many options, I just get confused easily. XD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:36 am
Sadly, I have never had good luck with facial masks before because I find that there are plenty that contain alcohol, which my skin doesn't seem to enjoy and I'm not sure if I have sensitives to other specific ingredients.

I tried a mud mask type facial once and it probably wasn't the best stuff, but someone bought it for me and I thought, "Well, I will try it out." I started applying and it burned badly so I washed it off and never used it again.

Years later, I was at a friends and they had some relatives over and they sold skin care products that I haven't tried before. They were all telling me that I "had" to do the facial and I said, "No thank you, I have sensitive skin and a lot of skin care products irritate my skin." Then she's like, "Oh, but this is good stuff! You'll love it!' and whatnot. I had no choice, really. I tried it, and I said, "My face is burning," when it was being applied. Then they're like, "Oh, I'm sure it's just the tingling of your pores being cleaned that you're feeling," and I said, "No, this BURNS!" and then she's like, "I'm sure it'll feel better after a few minutes." and I just was like, "Whatever," and let it sit. My face became a bright red and it was hurting, stinging, and burning. I said, "My face is in pain...I'm hurting a lot," and then she's like, "Oh, sweetie, it's because you're not used to the product." and this lady decides to come over to me and starts putting this other product on my face to help relax all the red away and that made matters worse. >_< So my luck with it hasn't been good.

I can see how a minty type mask would feel better and be more soothing along with green tea and chamomile because they have a relaxing feel. Not sure if it would work for me or not, though. Would be cool if it did.

I believe that there are facial masks that probably work better than others considering the ingredients - in my case, I may try it if it had sensitive skin types in mind.

Not sure if avocado or cucumber is better - never thought about looking that one up razz

Skin types may make a difference because some people have sensitivities to certain ingredients and others don't. One person's skin may have different needs from another individuals skin since we are all unique.

It would be good to know your skin type before searching for a face mask. If you know your skin is dry - find one that is really soothing and moisturizing. For oily skin, there could be masks for that, but it's probably just better to wash your face and then apply the mask.

With skin care products - sometimes experimentation is needed 3nodding because a lot of people may love one product and say it does wonders and then it doesn't seem to work because you may have a different skin type of more sensitivities than most individuals. Being aware of ingredients is also a good thing to look out for, too, just in case it has something that those close to you may be allergic to or if it has something you may be allergic to. Sometimes there's ingredients in ones that aren't exactly good to put on your skin as well so research and ingredient reading is good =)  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

Ayniu

Fashionable Raider

9,300 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:51 pm
Aquatic_blue

That's one reason why I knew this question would be difficult to answer, is because everyone has different types of skin, different sensitivities and reactions, e.t.c. That sucks so many of those products burned your skin, at least giving the sensation. =( I wonder if it's because a lot of facial masks include ingredients that are designed to "burn away" all the gunk on the skin.

You give good advice, though. Of all things I've figured out about myself appearance-wise, I've never consulted anyone about my skin before. I've never seen a dermatologist (but have spoken to one at Sephora - didn't ask her about my skin type, though), worried about cost and all that. How else would I be able to find out about my skin type?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:49 pm
Ayniu
Aquatic_blue

That's one reason why I knew this question would be difficult to answer, is because everyone has different types of skin, different sensitivities and reactions, e.t.c. That sucks so many of those products burned your skin, at least giving the sensation. =( I wonder if it's because a lot of facial masks include ingredients that are designed to "burn away" all the gunk on the skin.

You give good advice, though. Of all things I've figured out about myself appearance-wise, I've never consulted anyone about my skin before. I've never seen a dermatologist (but have spoken to one at Sephora - didn't ask her about my skin type, though), worried about cost and all that. How else would I be able to find out about my skin type?

Yeah, it could've been that it was cleaning out my pores, but it should've never burned the way it did. My skin was burning all night and through until the next day so my skin doesn't like something. I think it's the alcohol personally, but can't be 100% sure.

I've never consulted a dermatologist, either. I definitely should since I've had acne for years and all of that. I haven't had the time or the money, really, so I've put it off and have asked friends on what helps with their skin, or did research online what things can help sensitive skin.

I found a link to a skin type quiz that may give you a little bit of an idea of your skin type:

http://www.realbeauty.com/skin/body/whats-your-skin-regime-quiz

Here's also a helpful article that may help you determine your skin type by going through descriptions of different types:

http://allwomenstalk.com/what-skin-type-do-you-have/

Article for ideas to help your skin type:

http://www.everydayhealth.com/skin-and-beauty/whats-my-skin-type.aspx

Hopefully you can also use what type of skin type you have so you can research what type of facial would be be best =) you could Google "facial masks for normal/dry/oily/combination/sensitive skin" ^_^  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

Ayniu

Fashionable Raider

9,300 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:49 pm
Aquatic_blue

Thanks so much for these links, they were really helpful and interesting! Learned quite a bit I didn't know. I'm sure it'll come in useful. ^_^  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:57 am
Ayniu
Aquatic_blue

Thanks so much for these links, they were really helpful and interesting! Learned quite a bit I didn't know. I'm sure it'll come in useful. ^_^

No problem! Glad they helped! =D Hope you find a face mask and stuff sometime that works best for you!  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

M i n i R e d S t a r s

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:38 pm
Ayniu

Personally, I love seaweed facial masks. It does absolute wonders for my skin. It makes it so soft since its so full of antioxidants.

Another one I like is egg facial, it sounds gross, but it works. It does similar things to the seaweed one. The great thing about both of the masks, is that they dont cost so much. You jsut need an egg (most homes have eggs right?) and seaweed that you use to make sushi can be used emotion_dowant

Hope this helps you emotion_bigheart

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:12 pm
M i n i R e d S t a r s
Ayniu

Personally, I love seaweed facial masks. It does absolute wonders for my skin. It makes it so soft since its so full of antioxidants.

Another one I like is egg facial, it sounds gross, but it works. It does similar things to the seaweed one. The great thing about both of the masks, is that they dont cost so much. You jsut need an egg (most homes have eggs right?) and seaweed that you use to make sushi can be used emotion_dowant

Hope this helps you emotion_bigheart

I'd definitely be willing to look into those; never hurts to try, right? (Unless you have sensitive skin, that is... sad )  

Ayniu

Fashionable Raider

9,300 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

M i n i R e d S t a r s

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:36 pm
Ayniu

Haha, yeah. Hope they work, and I doubt that they will be bad for sensitive skin.. Seeing as they are both natural, and dont contain any harsh chemicals..

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:06 pm
M i n i R e d S t a r s
Ayniu

Haha, yeah. Hope they work, and I doubt that they will be bad for sensitive skin.. Seeing as they are both natural, and dont contain any harsh chemicals..

I mentioned it mostly for the benefit of Aquatic - she was talking about having sensitive skin. But I'm pretty sure mine isn't. =3  

Ayniu

Fashionable Raider

9,300 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

M i n i R e d S t a r s

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:05 pm
Ayniu
M i n i R e d S t a r s
Ayniu

I mentioned it mostly for the benefit of Aquatic - she was talking about having sensitive skin. But I'm pretty sure mine isn't. =3

Oh, I see .

22. ✿ - - - Health And Exercise

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff